InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Time to direct everyone to this morning's post in case you missed it...here!
HAPPY 420 InTheShed and Company
Thanks WH! To you an'all.
Happy 420 Shed and everyone who visits!
Happy summer babies too! Go Babies Go!
Thank you Otter!
Hold da bus. I cringed a little when you mentioned how close you sliced the roots on up pot. Think you may have cut deeper than usual? If so, it's just a flesh wound! Just a thought.
I usually don't go any deeper than ¼" as Amy mentions when she does it. Is every few inches around too close together on a 1 gallon rootball?

I cut mine a lot deeper than 1/4”. I think I did about 8 cuts around my 1 gal pot plus cuts on the bottom. It hasn’t seems to bother my plant at all. Shed, you sawed a huge chunk off the bottom of one of your mother plants and as far as I know, it’s still doing fine isnt it?

I cut mine a lot deeper than 1/4”. I think I did about 8 cuts around my 1 gal pot plus cuts on the bottom. It hasn’t seems to bother my plant at all. Shed, you sawed a huge chunk off the bottom of one of your mother plants and as far as I know, it’s still doing fine isnt it?
Too fine! I have to keep trimming it back, and Sunday it was so top heavy the wind took it off the table and cracked a branch. :eek: Had to zip tie it together.

I think I should keep it inside under the CFL. It grows way too fast in the sunlight!

Too fine!
First world problems.

Different subject. I seem to remember you posting something that the most MC you like to use is 5.5g/gal. I can’t remember where it was or your reasoning. Does that ring any bells?

First world problems.
Different subject. I seem to remember you posting something that the most MC you like to use is 5.5g/gal. I can’t remember where it was or your reasoning. Does that ring any bells?
LOL. Sunny world problems!

I have found (like many it seems) that as you increase the dose of MC you begin to see lockouts creating deficiencies, so 5.5g/gallon seemed to be about as far as I could go before it would look like the plant needed more, when what it really needed was some other combination of nutes.

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to hit targets different from those that MC provides (like the ability to boost the N without slamming the Ca or K). I also need to make sure to include boron. ;)

Time to direct everyone to this morning's post in case you missed it...here!

Thanks WH! To you an'all.

Thank you Otter!

I usually don't go any deeper than ¼" as Amy mentions when she does it. Is every few inches around too close together on a 1 gallon rootball?
I don't know. I seldom do it. Just trying to think out of the box. 1/4 inch deep seems fine, however every inch still makes me cringe. Just a question about a feeling though.

Wednesday update and it's pretty overcast today, but I put the plants out anyway for some fresh air and intermittent sunshine.

Jack Herer from @Weed Seeds Express was up when I got home for a 4/20 start, but I decided to plant it this morning. Here it was in the Shoebox of Light®:

And here it is planted on day 2:

No tap root yet.

I went digging to find the Chiquita Banana, and finally found this:

Looks like it's trying, so I lightly covered it and will give it another 24 hours. If it doesn't poke up I'll drop another.

The new inner growth on the TCK is sad looking, so I hope it all recovers:

And I tied the tops flat:

Moving on to yesterday's grinders, the first thing I discovered is that my Blue Treacle auto is so sticky it's almost impossible to grind in any grinder! Finally got it done but it wasn't a good test, so I moved on to Chocolope. Sticky but grindable!

Here is what I needed ground:

Here's what fit:

And here is the result:

It's really big, and if I was going to start again, I probably would have gotten the 3" version of the 4" grinder with the finger grips. The 3" grinder I got is good but still hard to use over and over without wearing out the skin on your top hand where you turn it.

Last for the day is this ingredient list:

I was planting a non-fruiting olive tree where the pine tree came down, and I was filling the area with Kellogg All Natural Garden Soil. If I add a lot of perlite and mycorrhizae (it has neither), can I use this for my cannabis plants from now on? It's a local company, inexpensive, and as I mentioned, there is no ProMix HP to be found anywhere nearby.

I'm going to need something when it's time to upcan the Summer Grow in a few weeks. What do you think?

One more thing, here is a monstercrop lemon tree clone!

Thanks for stopping by. :ciao:

Moving on to yesterday's grinders, the first thing I discovered is that my Blue Treacle auto is so sticky it's almost impossible to grind in any grinder!
That's the bane of growing the most fantastic weed on the planet! Nice job! Sorry.
The new inner growth on the TCK is sad looking, so I hope it all recovers:
When that TCC takes hold and starts thriving she's going to be something to behold!
I'm going to need something when it's time to upcan the Summer Grow in a few weeks. What do you think?
I would, not scientifically concluded but that's the good stuff. You'll know if the soil feels right texturally. What would you be feeding with?

I wish I had a grinder that fits your need for a trade. Looks like it did a fine job. Oh well.

How does a lemon tree get into a position to get monstercropped?

Happy Belated 420 Shed and Friends !! I had a Nice un got wasted i did ! Newborns looking Good , seems we have gone to science class here and i failed that :(
Thanks sb! We do science for those interested in the science. Same for the math. No one is graded or judged for skipping over that stuff. :high-five:
I don't know. I seldom do it. Just trying to think out of the box. 1/4 inch deep seems fine, however every inch still makes me cringe. Just a question about a feeling though.
I wouldn't say every inch...maybe every 2 (or 3 inches)? Does that help the question about the feeling?
...seem's it would make a solid base with the added perlite...cheerz... ...h00k...
Sounds good, thanks h00k!
That's the bane of growing the most fantastic weed on the planet! Nice job! Sorry.
LOL! I guess with the name "treacle" in it it has to be sticky. :)
When that TCC takes hold and starts thriving she's going to be something to behold!
I sure hope so Otter as it's a struggle so far. Not sure what to feed it next...more MC with boron or hope that the GF has had a chance to kick in.
I would, not scientifically concluded but that's the good stuff. You'll know if the soil feels right texturally. What would you be feeding with?
It feels good as it is, but I'm so used to the fluffy peat that it's just nice to dig into soil again. If I use it I would probably add 60-70% perlite by volume because it's so dense.

I'd either be using MC, some sort of blend of nutes on hand (with boron!), or GeoFlora if I can get it to work for me. I'm in a nutrient experiment stage it seems.
I wish I had a grinder that fits your need for a trade. Looks like it did a fine job. Oh well.
Thanks! I'm okay with the 4" as long as I have the hand strength to stretch and grab at the same time. It's the first turn that's the toughest.
How does a lemon tree get into a position to get monstercropped?
I was kinda joking based on the look of it. It's got that wild bushy look of a monstercrop with new growth sprouting every which way. It is a clone though and probably taken during flower, so I guess it qualifies!

Citrus info:
For those who haven't heard the story of my lemon trees, here it is briefly: When I moved to Los Angeles in 1988 my first apartment had a huge old lemon tree in the backyard. No one ever picked them so the seeds would sprout inside the lemons. I planted them in pots and grew them out in bigger and bigger pots as I moved. When we bought our house I planted two in the ground and two in barrels. All subsequent ones are either taken from seeds sprouted inside lemons on those trees, or clones from cuttings I've made when pruning. I now have three in huge pots, three in the ground (original two plus another from seed), and two in small pots waiting for new homes (one clone, one from seed).

I'm also trying to root a lime tree cutting from someone at work, because we use limes!

Nice update Shed.

1/4 inch deep seems fine, however every inch still makes me cringe. Just a question about a feeling though.
@StoneOtter I don’t know if will help you or not, but I encourage you to go listen episode #71 of the Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast. It’s a great episode and they do talk about the “whys” of root scoring. There’s lots of other good info in that podcast as well. So please, go check it out on your favorite podcast app.

I was planting a non-fruiting olive tree where the pine tree came down, and I was filling the area with Kellogg All Natural Garden Soil.
Kellogg also makes potting mixes as well. That would be better than garden soil. Garden soil can be very dense. I’ve seen bags of garden soil that say “not to be used in containers.” The two below might be a better choice depending on the price.

Nice update Shed.

@StoneOtter I don’t know if will help you or not, but I encourage you to go listen episode #71 of the Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast. It’s a great episode and they do talk about the “whys” of root scoring. There’s lots of other good info in that podcast as well. So please, go check it out on your favorite podcast app.

Kellogg also makes potting mixes as well. That would be better than garden soil. Garden soil can be very dense. I’ve seen bags of garden soil that say “not to be used in containers.” The two below might be a better choice depending on the price.

Thanks BigD! More research you're doing for me. :high-five:

I use the Patio Plus for regular potted plants and my raised planter box, but it seems to have a lot more fertilizer blended in than the Garden Soil. And the Raised Bed one has coco in it which for some reason makes me want to steer clear.

They probably say not to use the Garden Soil in containers because of the density, but I'd be cutting it with so much perlite that it would be faster draining than their container mixes. I even added perlite to the stuff I put around the non-fruiting olive tree! Wouldn't that make it pretty much like their potting mix in consistency?

Sorry about your ProMix HP shortage Shed. I need to get more and will likely find the same issue. I was thinking of using ProMix BX for the outdoor grows this year. I believe it hangs onto to moisture a little better than the HP? I’m trying to figure out if that would be a good thing for my area since it gets so, so hot in the summer and I’m watering twice a day along with ice. I did have issues with bud rot on BOTH of my outdoor gals last year, but I was thinking that was more from being a brand new grower, the humidity, and my inability to defoliate? What do you think? I’m trying to lean forward and get my shite together since I’m an Octomom and all. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Are you going to grow out all 8 if they're female? :eek: That would a crazy one to watch as well as odds-beating!
I believe it hangs onto to moisture a little better than the HP?
It does. Perlite sheds water and vermiculite retains it, so the BX would definitely be a good thing if your plants are drying out in a day. I've never seen BX anywhere here, and now ProMix seems to be gone completely.
bud rot on BOTH of my outdoor gals last year, but I was thinking that was more from being a brand new grower, the humidity, and my inability to defoliate?
Your bud rot last summer was much more environmental than having anything to do with your experience as a grower, though I don't know why you have an inability to defoliate. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's really big, and if I was going to start again, I probably would have gotten the 3" version of the 4" grinder with the finger grips. The 3" grinder I got is good but still hard to use over and over without wearing out the skin on your top hand where you turn it.
That grinder looks the business. I recently bought a new big wider grinder for a better grip, but unfortunately I didn't appreciate it's 'slimline' claim in the advert, so while it's wider it is so slim it makes it really hard to turn, darn it.

Are you going to grow out all 8 if they're female? :eek: That would a crazy one to watch as well as odds-beating!
Um, yeah....to a certain extent. If I get 8 females I will gift 4 of them. I have some other plants I want to grow outdoors too... :cheesygrinsmiley:
It does. Perlite sheds water and vermiculite retains it, so the BX would definitely be a good thing if your plants are drying out in a day. I've never seen BX anywhere here, and now ProMix seems to be gone completely.
Interesting. I see the BX in many places around here. We are very rural so any time I go to the “city” it’s about a 45 min drive one way. I am finding the BX in places like Ace Hardware and other smaller type nursery supply. The HP, only once place I’ve seen it - in the groovy nursery supply place. A big heavy block of it is $50 compared to a bag less than half the size for that cost via Amazon.
though I don't know why you have an inability to defoliate
LOL. :oops: It’s true. We all know it. I’m trying to get better. I need therapy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom