InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

That grinder looks the business. I recently bought a new big wider grinder for a better grip, but unfortunately I didn't appreciate it's 'slimline' claim in the advert, so while it's wider it is so slim it makes it really hard to turn, darn it.
True! You need enough depth to be able to grip to make it worth it. This one was pretty dear but I hope it lasts a really long time...longer than my grip strength does. :)
If I get 8 females I will gift 4 of them
So you will be keeping no more than 4 females, got it!
Interesting. I see the BX in many places around here. We are very rural so any time I go to the “city” it’s about a 45 min drive one way. I am finding the BX in places like Ace Hardware and other smaller type nursery supply. The HP, only once place I’ve seen it - in the groovy nursery supply place. A big heavy block of it is $50 compared to a bag less than half the size for that cost via Amazon.
I know another grower on the eastern seaboard that only finds BX, so maybe it's an east coast/west coast thing.
LOL. It’s true. We all know it. I’m trying to get better. I need therapy.
We're here to help. :Namaste:

Patio Plus for regular potted plants and my raised planter box, but it seems to have a lot more fertilizer blended in than the Garden Soil.
I don’t see it on their website, what is the NPK of the different soils/potting mixes?

Raised Bed one has coco in it which for some reason makes me want to steer clear.
Why is that? Isn’t coco supposed to be a renewable alternative to peat?

Wouldn't that make it pretty much like their potting mix in consistency?
I didn’t t give you a very good answer before. It might be. The only thing I see that it is missing from what I would like to see in a potting mix is either peat or coco. I’ve never used coco, my mixes always have peat in them. Maybe make up a small batch and compare the consistency of it to patio plus. But the 64K question is ...........does it have boron. :slide:

I don’t see it on their website, what is the NPK of the different soils/potting mixes?
I'm pretty sure all the ones we're talking about are in the decimal range.
Why is that? Isn’t coco supposed to be a renewable alternative to peat
I've never really thought about the why actually. Something probably nonsensical in reality. pH related because when I hear coco I think hydro? I'm convinceable here!
I didn’t t give you a very good answer before. It might be. The only thing I see that it is missing from what I would like to see in a potting mix is either peat or coco. I’ve never used coco, my mixes always have peat in them. Maybe make up a small batch and compare the consistency of it to patio plus.
Interestingly I just looked up my original media (Dr earth pot of gold) and it has peat in it! Why is that? If it's just for drainage, is it cheaper than perlite? Or do they (coco/peat) serve another purpose?
does it have boron
Everything will have boron!

Quickie late Wednesday night update...Chiquita Banana is up. I repeat, Chiquita Banana is up! @Grand Daddy Black was correct that it was just going to need a bit more time:

It will get planted tomorrow morning. See you then!
chikita banana hey !!! :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: \

very inspiring

:passitleft:

I'm pretty sure all the ones we're talking about are in the decimal range.
I’m sure of that. You know how some people say that Ocean Forest is kind of a “hot soil”? It has an NPK of 0.30-0.45-0.05 with 1.00% Ca. Happy Frog has an NPK of 0.30-0.30-0.05 with 1.00% Ca. So pretty much the same and also in the decimal range.

I even added perlite to the stuff I put around the non-fruiting olive tree! Wouldn't that make it pretty much like their potting mix in consistency?
I’m thinking the mixture may not have the texture that it would if you mixed in some peat. With just perlite it may just be like muddy perlite, but I don’t really know. You could mix up a small amount, see how the texture is, then water and see how it is, and then see how it looks after a day or two.

is it cheaper than perlite?
A lot. I can get a 3.8 cu. ft. of Black Gold peat moss for $23 at Ace Harware. Perlite is a lot more expensive than that.

do they (coco/peat) serve another purpose?
They do help hold water among other things. Here’s a pretty good article comparing the two. It makes some interesting points that coco may not be as environmentally friendly as some people make it out to be.

Everything will have bourbon!
FIFY :p

Highya ITS, guys,

Coco coir has an issue with calcium. I think if you soad in calcium slurry for awhile, it won't develope a calcium deficiency through the grow (or something like that). Haqppy Smokin'

The soil pubas seem to go with 33% each of coco/peat, worm castings/compost, and pearlite/rice hulls for the main bulk of the soil if that helps in any way.
I’ve heard that. I know the guy from KiS Organics said on his podcast that he likes 20% compost/castings, something like 32-34% perlite & the rest peat as his basic mix. Probably can’t go wrong with either.

I'm convinceable here!
I’m using coco more and more in my soils. Seeing only good results. Yes it also has some sustainability issues but is much much less iffy that peat/SPM. There’s also some difference between SPM and just peat moss (which is not as old and often full of bark etc.) so buying straight peat can be hit and miss outside of known brands.

It’s also true, what Bode said, that you’ll want to buffer/calcium charge it. Any plain peat/SPM would be the same tho. In the ProMix products the buffering/calcium charge already done for us.

I’ve been buying a coco coir (nutrifield) that is pre-buffered with calcium. :thumb: It’s worked well.

chikita banana hey !!! very inspiring
:welcome: to my journal twinsun, even if it was only to drop a link to yours! ;)
Hooray for Chiquita Banana, baby!!!!
FTFY! Thanks Boo. :)
I’m sure of that. You know how some people say that Ocean Forest is kind of a “hot soil”? It has an NPK of 0.30-0.45-0.05 with 1.00% Ca. Happy Frog has an NPK of 0.30-0.30-0.05 with 1.00% Ca. So pretty much the same and also in the decimal range.
I know right! I used to think the same thing until I saw folks using nutes starting with the second set of leaves and having no troubles (MrS comes to mind).
I’m thinking the mixture may not have the texture that it would if you mixed in some peat. With just perlite it may just be like muddy perlite,
Damn good point Big D!
You could mix up a small amount, see how the texture is, then water and see how it is, and then see how it looks after a day or two.
Nah, testing soil mixes is not anything I want to get started with. Good idea though!
A lot. I can get a 3.8 cu. ft. of Black Gold peat moss for $23 at Ace Harware. Perlite is a lot more expensive than that.
Interesting, but with all your information, that probably turns out not to be the main reason (see muddy perlite comment above :cheesygrinsmiley: ).
LOL!
coco may not be as environmentally friendly as some people make it out to be.
Good article! Nothing is perfect it turns out.

Loved this quote though...can't imagine why :laugh: :
"While being acidic may be a disadvantage in cultivating many plants, it can be an advantage if you water your plants with tap water, which is often alkaline."

Whoopee!
BTW, Shed, I am bookmarking your post for no particular reason! :laughtwo:
Thanks GDB! You bookmark for whatever reason you want. ;)
Highya ITS, guys,

Coco coir has an issue with calcium. I think if you soad in calcium slurry for awhile, it won't develope a calcium deficiency through the grow (or something like that). Haqppy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! Luckily I have no intention of growing in straight coco. Phewf!
Whew Yes!
Sorted!
The soil pubas seem to go with 33% each of coco/peat, worm castings/compost, and pearlite/rice hulls for the main bulk of the soil if that helps in any way.
Thanks Otter! I don't plant on building my own soil, but if I did I would use Van Stank's recipe.

Also, on my phone this morning I didn't understand what soil pubes were and thought I missed a post by Maritimer! Then I read it again and figured out what you meant. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I’m using coco more and more in my soils. Seeing only good results. Yes it also has some sustainability issues but is much much less iffy that peat/SPM. There’s also some difference between SPM and just peat moss (which is not as old and often full of bark etc.) so buying straight peat can be hit and miss outside of known brands.

It’s also true, what Bode said, that you’ll want to buffer/calcium charge it. Any plain peat/SPM would be the same tho. In the ProMix products the buffering/calcium charge already done for us.

I’ve been buying a coco coir (nutrifield) that is pre-buffered with calcium. It’s worked well.
Thanks Amy! :ciao: I am definitely not going to be blending soil mixes (other than adding perlite), but I appreciate the info. I'm looking to use something basically out of the bag.

-----------------------------------------------------

What do you all think of this then (it's the Patio Plus mix from Kelloggs that BigD linked to earlier):

Aged recycled forest products, aged rice hulls, composted poultry manure, perlite, peat moss, hydrolyzed feather meal, dehydrated poultry manure, dolomite & oyster shell limes (as pH adjusters), bat guano, kelp meal, worm castings.
(0.30-0.10-0.10)

They sell that at Home Depot for $6.25 for a 1.5cuft bag. I'd still cut it with perlite because they state "This great soil environment retains moisture" which is not my #1 goal. Shedding moisture is more my style of growing.

They sell that at Home Depot for $6.25 for a 1.5cuft bag.
The other alternative is Miracle Grow Natures Care Oraganic Potting Soil. Similar to FFOF. Both require cutting with perlite or vermiculite at 25%.

Although the vermiculite stores water, your plants won't care. The roots will suck it dry the same as with perlite. Plus you have the extra benefit of extra silica in the vermiculite.

While you ponder all of the above, here's a little Thursday update. Chiquita Banana from Weed Seeds Express got planted this morning, and I'm calling it day 2.

Here is was this morning:

Planted!:

And the new growth on the TCK seems to be coming in much better looking:

Phewf! Here's to bourbon boron. :high-five:

The other alternative is Miracle Grow Natures Care Oraganic Potting Soil. Similar to FFOF. Both require cutting with perlite or vermiculite at 25%.
Although the vermiculite stores water, your plants won't care. The roots will suck it dry the same as with perlite. Plus you have the extra benefit of extra silica in the vermiculite.
Thanks MrS! A 16qt bag at HD costs $10.30, and Google tells me that 16qts is .5 cuft, so 1.5cuft would cost me $30.90, or nearly 5x the price of the Kelloggs. Can't be worth 5x more, can it?

I know that vermiculite adds silica, but I don't think it adds enough to skip adding silica separately, so I think I'd stick with the perlite. At least that would be one constant in the change from ProMix HP back to soil.

Looks like you got the girls (tck) tamed . Jealous you getting to start more ! Is anyone using the rice hulls , read that it adds silica when replacing the perlite with it ?

Thanks WH! Rice hulls is the the second ingredient in the Patio Plus mix. That said, here is some information of swapping rice hulls for perlite from perlite.org, so read with that in mind:

Main difference between them seems to be the "Influence on Air Porosity" where perlite does better. Neither seem to provide any "nutrient" benefit. Not sure if they consider Si a nutrient though...
Thanks for that info, I was checking out silica because I noticed after three days in the bucket the protekt slimed up with just 30 minute mix then air bubbles from then on . Does that mean I need to add it every three days , I noticed the slime in my grows after a few days .

You might want to look into a different form of Si and see if that has the same effect. I changed to monosilicic acid because it's instantly available to the plants without having to break down the potassium and silica.

This is what my Stout MSA says about it:
Monosilicic acid (H4SiO4 aka ortho-silicic acid), the form found in Stout™ MSA, is the most bioavailable form of silicon. Stout™ MSA is immediately available to your plants and is stable over a larger pH range when compared to other silicon sources like potassium or sodium silicates (ex: will not gel under acidic conditions). This allows for more predictable delivery of silicon to your plants' tissues, which is important since silicon is immobile and therefore needs to be constantly supplied for maximum results.

Back
Top Bottom