InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

that's the bucket's job.

Job 2 do... if you would like an upgrade tip you should get thkse mortar buckets 🪣 with hdpe like thick plastics, durable, stackable and easy to clean. Definitely blocks out harmful UVB radiation and keeps H²O+ NPK inside the bucket. 🤪

was unaware you had either a bonus daughter or a bonus grandchild!
I'm full of surprises and apparently my bonus daughter with family. She's been around me for 19 years now and she turned 32 on your independence day this year. I'm very happy for seeing her grow up to the woman and now mom she is today. But it's never easy to correct young trouble makers in the right way but she's very happy I've been around. Maybe I've projected a little crazy thinking in her after all. Her 'better' 😁 half is definitely like me, met him a month ago at her grandads funeral so I know she's in good hands........ 😆

Seems like I've mainly seen that on those using the double bucket system as a res. Not sure what their results were though.
On page 2 of the SIP thread Azi posted a videoof a central foot with multiple holes and Aspen built the same setup as mine and drilled holes all around the res, so I figured that was a good idea!
Job 2 do... if you would like an upgrade tip you should get thkse mortar buckets with hdpe like thick plastics, durable, stackable and easy to clean. Definitely blocks out harmful UVB radiation and keeps H²O+ NPK inside the bucket.
Thanks CraZy! I'll take a look at Home Depot next time I go but I'm probably going to need a new res bucket since this one is getting cracked with age. Like me!
I'm full of surprises and apparently my bonus daughter with family. She's been around me for 19 years now and she turned 32 on your independence day this year. I'm very happy for seeing her grow up to the woman and now mom she is today. But it's never easy to correct young trouble makers in the right way but she's very happy I've been around. Maybe I've projected a little crazy thinking in her after all. Her 'better' half is definitely like me, met him a month ago at her grandads funeral so I know she's in good hands
She's lucky to have had you (and a better half like you) in her life, and it sounds like you're just as lucky!

I missed a day! Well done for the smooth transition to cloth bag. Let's hope this plant turns the corner and thrives in the new pot. What is the rationale for starting SIP plants with top watering? Surely it makes more sense to start the plant sub-irrigating from birth as you seem to think too?

I missed a day! Well done for the smooth transition to cloth bag. Let's hope this plant turns the corner and thrives in the new pot. What is the rationale for starting SIP plants with top watering?
Thanks Carmen! I've seen so many folks make the transition from top water to SIP that it seemed easier to do that than try to make small SIPs like I did with the SWICKs.
Surely it makes more sense to start the plant sub-irrigating from birth as you seem to think too?
It certainly makes more sense now! :)

I did the holes in my res with a soldering iron as well but had to go over a lot of them with a drill to make sure they were holes.
I use a 16 year old girl and don’t ask how she achieves the desired results. Think its candle heated bamboo skewer.

Don’t ask, don’t tell.

😅

Having the 7 solos temporarily in DWC and pulling a root off that had grown out the side of the solo - it was so so s
“Spikey” to touch, like a barbed hard thing. Not like any soil bound root. Way harder and rougher. Think as soon as this evening we’ll pull them put and put them in Solo SIPS and Solo Airpots for their final homes so we can get the testing on.

Probably next time I won't DWC them but Aeroponics. That might be the sweet spot for root transition. But might lack the sideways growth.

I really think there’s two types of roots out there and having both is the dream.

Nick

Sorry I should make clear that’s big holes for SWICK airpot style in Solo’s. The SIPS we use plastic pasta type strainers or bits chopped from them. We’re big on the holes and get roots right down to the bottom.

Since I think my outdoor SIP may have finally died I’ll pull it out later and see how that did. 🥲

Nick

I use a 16 year old girl and don’t ask how she achieves the desired results. Think its candle heated bamboo skewer.
Not sure of the flash point of bamboo but I'm pretty sure it's lower than steel. :hmmmm:
Probably next time I won't DWC them but Aeroponics. That might be the sweet spot for root transition. But might lack the sideways growth.
I've got an aeroponic cloner in my sig but it should work for the grow as well in a bigger tub.
I really think there’s two types of roots out there and having both is the dream.
Maybe someday I can be living the dream!
Sorry I should make clear that’s big holes for SWICK airpot style in Solo’s. The SIPS we use plastic pasta type strainers or bits chopped from them. We’re big on the holes and get roots right down to the bottom.
Gotcha, thanks! My SWICK is just soil over perlite so I went holeless.
Since I think my outdoor SIP may have finally died I’ll pull it out later and see how that did.
:(
Sorry Shed
That's okay, better it should be out of its misery! Did the cuttings & Co took ever root?

Not sure - think she took some downstairs to her area.

Hope so!

Ferocious random short storms/squalls last few days. The banana and papaya trees at like 20ft or 30ft tall are looking battered. Not sure they’d have survived on any balcony. The lemon trees are super sheltered under an old tree and they are struggling - lemon bushes/trees are tough as. Mine in HK on the roof survived full typhoons. These guys need a break too!
Nick

Oh yeah - I have a 24 hole one. It was dead cheap pre made. Like twenty bucks and when it arrived I though that’s about $15 of aquarium and storage box stuff I have lying around!

Def next grow - and fingers crossed there are more - I’m firing it up. The ambient temp with pots of water lying about is a concern for me, I’d want it in AC

Three, actually. Soil, water, and air, and all different. Your hard spikey one I'll bet were the air type.
But they were in water? Like DWC 3” deep. No air involved at all / there whwre the photo was out the side the black solo on the right.

Nick

image.jpg

The thing I don't get about SIP's is why people are making it more difficult than it has to be. It's not a new invention. It's been around for many, many years. I'm pretty sure after all these years most of what's being tried on this site has already been tried by a lot of other growers. So why not just follow the basic directions for SIP growing & it becomes a KISS grow. The simpler, the better !
There's a one in a billion chance of someone discovering something new that improves a SIP grow. I guess there's always that slim chance that you are that one.
KISS for the Win! Other than filling my res when needed I pay very little attention to my plants. Fill the res & zip the tent is pretty much all I do other than LST when I'm looking to grow a big plant. LST, I don't really count as I'd do it whether or not I'm in a SIP or Cloth Pot. But I don't do anything extra with a SIP. In fact I think I do even less which is why I think SIP's are absolutely perfect for the KISS method. JMO

But they were in water? Like DWC 3” deep. No air involved at all / there whwre the photo was out the side the black solo on the right.
Oh, I thought you said it had grown out under the tin foil which I assumed was dark but out in the air. I totally missed the dwc thing.

In that case, I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks shed i see the difference now and understand the different roots al little better now after this discussion . I believe to that after a amount of time and roots have established its going to be had if not impossible to get them to switch styles of growth ...
Mature plants can transition over but there is an adjustment period of at least a couple of weeks. There are various strategies to accomplish this but the plant will look overwatered in the process because it is. The lower roots are wetter than they're accustomed to being and need time to develop the ones they need. Shed's plant didn't seem to want to transition for whatever reason.

I continually take off larf from before flip until about midway into flower! That's what came off this morning, as I am #nolarf!
:thumb: Your 5KC is looking awesome!
This is not my first rodeo when it comes to rescuing plants with a replant, as some of you may remember the shite soil I had to completely clear off the roots back in 2021. So I'm hopeful for this one even if the summer schedule is a bit behind!
It seems like you caught this in time. Good move transitioning back to the cloth pot. Even if it starts flowering in the next week or so, it seems to be large enough to provide you with some nice buds.
The GM went into her sip on 6/5, at 34 days old- this got me thinking-
maybe 34 days old is too late for the soil roots to transition to water roots?
My plant spent 47 days in a solo cup before going into the SIP. My roots were not nearly as developed/root bound as Shed's GM was, though.

Not sure - think she took some downstairs to her area. Hope so!
Me too after all that torture and neglect!
Ferocious random short storms/squalls last few days. The banana and papaya trees at like 20ft or 30ft tall are looking battered. Not sure they’d have survived on any balcony. The lemon trees are super sheltered under an old tree and they are struggling - lemon bushes/trees are tough as. Mine in HK on the roof survived full typhoons. These guys need a break too!
Damn I hope you don't get too much more damage, and I also hope the weather is better in Bali...only 84 hours south of you by car. :high-five:
Oh yeah - I have a 24 hole one. It was dead cheap pre made. Like twenty bucks and when it arrived I though that’s about $15 of aquarium and storage box stuff I have lying around! Def next grow - and fingers crossed there are more - I’m firing it up. The ambient temp with pots of water lying about is a concern for me, I’d want it in AC
That will be worth watching! 👀
The thing I don't get about SIP's is why people are making it more difficult than it has to be. It's not a new invention. It's been around for many, many years. I'm pretty sure after all these years most of what's being tried on this site has already been tried by a lot of other growers. So why not just follow the basic directions for SIP growing & it becomes a KISS grow. The simpler, the better !
There's a one in a billion chance of someone discovering something new that improves a SIP grow. I guess there's always that slim chance that you are that one.
KISS for the Win! Other than filling my res when needed I pay very little attention to my plants. Fill the res & zip the tent is pretty much all I do other than LST when I'm looking to grow a big plant. LST, I don't really count as I'd do it whether or not I'm in a SIP or Cloth Pot. But I don't do anything extra with a SIP. In fact I think I do even less which is why I think SIP's are absolutely perfect for the KISS method. JMO
And here I thought I was keeping it simple! :hmmmm: Were the multiple holes in the res the complicating part?
Thanks shed i see the difference now and understand the different roots al little better now after this discussion . I believe to that after a amount of time and roots have established its going to be had if not impossible to get them to switch styles of growth ...
Azi's gotchu... ↓
Mature plants can transition over but there is an adjustment period of at least a couple of weeks. There are various strategies to accomplish this but the plant will look overwatered in the process because it is. The lower roots are wetter than they're accustomed to being and need time to develop the ones they need. Shed's plant didn't seem to want to transition for whatever reason.
:thanks:, and it sure didn't!
Your 5KC is looking awesome!
Thanks BL! Still plucking off the larf every morning. :)
It seems like you caught this in time. Good move transitioning back to the cloth pot. Even if it starts flowering in the next week or so, it seems to be large enough to provide you with some nice buds.
I've been moving this into the tent at night so it's still running 24/0. I'll wait for it to look normal (if it does...not yet) and grow out a bit before I flip it. I haven't flowered by the sun since summer 2019.
My plant spent 47 days in a solo cup before going into the SIP. My roots were not nearly as developed/root bound as Shed's GM was, though.
Maybe 47 days is ideal after looking at your beast!

And here I thought I was keeping it simple!
I wasn't referring to you or any one in particular. I just see some growers getting extravagant & going a little overboard on it. I don't understand why when you can easily pull a pound per plant with very little effort. It seems the less I do, the better my plants turn out. Kind of seems like they like to be left alone to do their thing. All they really ask for is to be fed. I consider myself a lazy grower. That's why I like SIP's so much. I can do very little & get big ass plants of killer weed. They are perfect for my lazy ass.... lol.

Back
Top Bottom