InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Friday night update, the one where I remove Grandpa's Moonshine from the SIP and replant it into a 7 gallon GeoPot, on day 67.

Here it was before the deed:

I laid it on its side and pressed on the bucket to free any roots that might have gotten stuck, and slowly pulled it out by the trunk:

There were very few roots in the wicking foot even 31 days after transplant:

You can see the soil around the res is clean of roots:

Most of the roots stopped at the top of the res:

So I took a sharp blade and sliced and roughed up the sides and sliced and broke up the roots along the bottom:

After that, I sprayed the sides with water and sprinkled @DYNOMYCO around the rootball, and put a layer in the new pot as well where the bottom roots sit.

There was about 2" around the edges to fill and about 4" of fresh soil at the bottom, and here it is after replant:

I only watered the edges where the new soil is, and I moved it out of the sun after the pic. I'll give it shade for the next three or four days while it gets used to the new digs.

Armchair Analysis: The soil was damp and the lower roots were mostly brown, so between that and the fact that the roots never grew into the soil wicking foot outside of the reservoir, my guess is it never put out the water roots that would enable it to survive/thrive in a sub-irrigated planter. So it really was waterlogged, which is definitely what the leaves were telling us. I obviously mis-handled the transition after transplant, but I'm hoping that it will recover once it dries out and starts growing new roots.

This is not my first rodeo when it comes to rescuing plants with a replant, as some of you may remember the shite soil I had to completely clear off the roots back in 2021. So I'm hopeful for this one even if the summer schedule is a bit behind!

:thanks: for stopping by.

“Err indoors” “shite” - hehe. So anglo…

Bali is awesome. My lawyer lives there she wants a “local” show her around. He went to school with Boris Johnson (bully, horrible person at school apparently, David Cameron non entity, got smart at Oxford, Rees Mogg treated like a weedy runt) but he’s not like any of them. He’s a geezer!

Please please please - tell Mrs Shed get herself to Potato Head in Semenyak, take a day bed and order a cocktail and a burger. Its one of my top 5 happiest places in the world.

Nick

Friday night update, the one where I remove Grandpa's Moonshine from the SIP and replant it into a 7 gallon GeoPot, on day 67.

I laid it on its side and pressed on the bucket to free any roots that might have gotten stuck, and slowly pulled it out by the trunk:

So I took a sharp blade and sliced and roughed up the sides and sliced and broke up the roots along the bottom:

After that, I sprayed the sides with water and sprinkled @DYNOMYCO around the rootball, and put a layer in the new pot as well where the bottom roots sit.

There was about 2" around the edges to fill and about 4" of fresh soil at the bottom, and here it is after replant:

I only watered the edges where the new soil is, and I moved it out of the sun after the pic. I'll give it shade for the next three or four days while it gets used to the new digs.

Armchair Analysis: The soil was damp and the lower roots were mostly brown, so between that and the fact that the roots never grew into the soil wicking foot outside of the reservoir, my guess is it never put out the water roots that would enable it to survive/thrive in a sub-irrigated planter. So it really was waterlogged, which is definitely what the leaves were telling us. I obviously mis-handled the transition after transplant, but I'm hoping that it will recover once it dries out and starts growing new roots.

This is not my first rodeo when it comes to rescuing plants with a replant, as some of you may remember the shite soil I had to completely clear off the roots back in 2021. So I'm hopeful for this one even if the summer schedule is a bit behind!

Excellent analysis on the issue, Shed.
I'll bet a dollar she will jump outta bed like Charlie's grandpa in a day or two.

Highya ITS,

Great job transplanting her! Excellent diagnosis based on all the evidence! Your other "lady" is looking gorgeous, though! All your growing years of experience are paying off. Are you guys getting better weather out there? I read where El Nino has started affecting the weather now. Don't know what to expect. We're getting 5 days of sunshine in a row!! Very nice!! Happy Smokin'

There seem to be two camps of SIP growers, those with roots that stop at the water line and those that get them all the way to the bottom, and we haven't yet figured out the difference as to who gets put in what category.

Growers seem to fall in one category or the other and It doesn't seem to differ grow-to-grow so my theory is it must have to do with one's process. I'm part of the "roots to the bottom" contingent and my theory is that I keep my reservoir less full, especially early on, than some others but that opinion has been challenged so don't really know.

Maybe it's a combination of things like organic vs Chem nutes, water level of the reservoir, container size, etc.

The rest of your roots looked pretty healthy and dense. Will be interesting to see what they look like on the other Swick plant after harvest.

OK I am that one that don't get it , Over water /water logged , how did it get that way if the roots don't go to the water rev.? The roots looked dry to me but ur there and i am not to observe . I can see what Azi is saying about making the roots reach for the water just like all growth will do ,, Are there different root ? Would the tap root be the ones going for the rev.? I don't have time to read this right now and maybe ya'll have seen it ?>> SIP BASICS: How Do Self-Watering Sub-Irrigated Garden Planters Work? -AlboPepper.com

There seem to be two camps of SIP growers, those with roots that stop at the water line and those that get them all the way to the bottom, and we haven't yet figured out the difference as to who gets put in what category.

Growers seem to fall in one category or the other and It doesn't seem to differ grow-to-grow so my theory is it must have to do with one's process. I'm part of the "roots to the bottom" contingent and my theory is that I keep my reservoir less full, especially early on, than some others but that opinion has been challenged so don't really know.

Maybe it's a combination of things like organic vs Chem nutes, water level of the reservoir, container size, etc.

The rest of your roots looked pretty healthy and dense. Will be interesting to see what they look like on the other Swick plant after harvest.
I got almost no roots in my feet and I kept the rez full as I could.

The GM went into her sip on 6/5, at 34 days old- this got me thinking-
maybe 34 days old is too late for the soil roots to transition to water roots?

I obviously mis-handled the transition after transplant,
Well, considering your substantial skill set , I don't see that happening...

(GM roots/day 34)
20230604_192000 GM upcan day 34.jpg

Those roots are pretty well established as soil roots, maybe there's a point at which the plant can no longer transition to water roots ?

Although, finding out when that is would take some experimenting.🤔

Of course, without knowing the age of the plants that others transplant into their SIPs, I'm just guessing here- maybe it's common practice to wait that long?

just my 2 cents...:cheesygrinsmiley:

“Err indoors” “shite” - hehe. So anglo…
Been with a Brit for over 30 years, some of it was bound to rub off on me!
Bali is awesome. My lawyer lives there she wants a “local” show her around. He went to school with Boris Johnson (bully, horrible person at school apparently, David Cameron non entity, got smart at Oxford, Rees Mogg treated like a weedy runt) but he’s not like any of them. He’s a geezer!
Please please please - tell Mrs Shed get herself to Potato Head in Semenyak, take a day bed and order a cocktail and a burger. Its one of my top 5 happiest places in the world.
I hope they won't need a lawyer ( :eek: ) but I will pass your recommendation along as soon as she wakes up (it's 4am there now)! :thanks:
Excellent analysis on the issue, Shed. I'll bet a dollar she will jump outta bed like Charlie's grandpa in a day or two.
LOL great visual Grateful, thanks!
Great job transplanting her! Excellent diagnosis based on all the evidence! Your other "lady" is looking gorgeous, though! All your growing years of experience are paying off. Are you guys getting better weather out there? I read where El Nino has started affecting the weather now. Don't know what to expect. We're getting 5 days of sunshine in a row!! Very nice!! Happy Smokin'
Thank you Bode! The 5KC in the SWICK is really looking great, which makes me worried that something bad is about to happen. :)

Weather here has been great, with the morning clouds burning off by 10am and not rolling back in until around 5. I hope your summer dries out and gives your plants a shot at greatness!

Thanks Azi, and I really have no idea what determines what with these. I do know that I won't be trying to change boats in mid-stream next time with the SIP...bottom-water from the get go!
They looked okay but nothing like the water roots I had on the SWICK with each transplant. Soil roots in a SIP grow just don't cut it from the looks of Grandpa.
OK I am that one that don't get it , Over water /water logged , how did it get that way if the roots don't go to the water rev.? The roots looked dry to me but ur there and i am not to observe . I can see what Azi is saying about making the roots reach for the water just like all growth will do ,, Are there different root ? Would the tap root be the ones going for the rev.? I don't have time to read this right now and maybe ya'll have seen it ?>> SIP BASICS: How Do Self-Watering Sub-Irrigated Garden Planters Work? -AlboPepper.com
Thanks for the link sb! The roots and surrounding soil at the bottom were damp and brown, and you can see the white soil roots near the top where the soil was dry. Water roots are definitely different and you can compare these from the SWICK (when I pulled it from the 1 gallon) to the SIP roots above.
I got almost no roots in my feet and I kept the rez full as I could.
Interesting, because you also had very few roots near the top (in spite of the pot covers), so yours were happy in a very narrow range!
I still haven't emptied my 12 gal. SIP to see what the roots did there. So far I've only gotten roots to the bottom with the store bought 5 gal. SIP's (GroBuckets). I'll check it out sometime today & post my findings.
Thanks Buds!
The GM went into her sip on 6/5, at 34 days old- this got me thinking- maybe 34 days old is too late for the soil roots to transition to water roots? Those roots are pretty well established as soil roots, maybe there's a point at which the plant can no longer transition to water roots ? Although, finding out when that is would take some experimenting.
Of course, without knowing the age of the plants that others transplant into their SIPs, I'm just guessing here- maybe it's common practice to wait that long?
Could be wabbit! The roots coming out of the 1 gallon did look pretty good (as did the plant), but I won't be testing the timing theory because there will be no transition next time. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Been with a Brit for over 30 years, some of it was bound to rub off on me!

I hope they won't need a lawyer ( :eek: ) but I will pass your recommendation along as soon as she wakes up (it's 4am there now)!

LOL great visual Grateful, thanks!

Thank you Bode! The 5KC in the SWICK is really looking great, which makes me worried that something bad is about to happen. :)

Weather here has been great, with the morning clouds burning off by 10am and not rolling back in until around 5. I hope your summer dries out and gives your plants a shot at greatness!

Thanks Azi, and I really have no idea what determines what with these. I do know that I won't be trying to change boats in mid-stream next time with the SIP...bottom-water from the get go!

They looked okay but nothing like the water roots I had on the SWICK with each transplant. Soil roots in a SIP grow just don't cut it from the looks of Grandpa.

Thanks for the link sb! The roots and surrounding soil at the bottom were damp and brown, and you can see the white soil roots near the top where the soil was dry. Water roots are definitely different and you can compare these from the SWICK (when I pulled it from the 1 gallon) to the SIP roots above.

Interesting, because you also had very few roots near the top (in spite of the pot covers), so yours were happy in a very narrow range!

Thanks Buds!

Could be wabbit! The roots coming out of the 1 gallon did look pretty good (as did the plant), but I won't be testing the timing theory because there will be no transition next time. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I like to up-pot from the 1 gal. when the plant has 5 nodes & can be Topped. I don't get a whole lot of root swirling in the bottom of the pot that way & they can continue their downward journey to the water source. I'm not saying it's a better way. Just the way I do things.

Hehe - One of the top 3 smartest people I ever met is my man in Bali.

Not that kind of lawyer and nor probably everyone’s cup of tea! Have a burger by the sea!

The transplant stuff? Looks like the transplant was handled perfectly. As can be.

Where does it leave you on the air gap leap for roots thoughts?

@Carcass mentions “root transition” above. I’m a believer. We’re going soil, SWICK, DWC, Coco Airpot OR SIP in Coco as an experiment.

In bold I think makes little difference. Its just scale. But fun test.

But root-balling down and to the sides training with multi stage stuff feels like it works reliably.

Nick

Here's the Roots from the 12 gal. SIP. It's been in the backyard baking for 2 months so it was really crumbly soil removing it.
DSCF2798.JPG
DSCF2800.JPG
DSCF2801.JPG
DSCF2802.JPG

Looks like the roots were less than 2" from the bottom.
Here's my Res.
16.JPG
17.JPG

It appears, where ever there's holes in the res for water to escape from is where the roots don't grow.
But they clearly wrap around the res & travel downward until they get to the holes at the bottom of the res.

Hehe - One of the top 3 smartest people I ever met is my man in Bali.
Not that kind of lawyer and nor probably everyone’s cup of tea! Have a burger by the sea!
All I can do is pass along the info but it's hard to gain traction at this distance!
The transplant stuff? Looks like the transplant was handled perfectly. As can be.
Where does it leave you on the air gap leap for roots thoughts?
Thanks Nick, and as far as I know the air gap is what keeps the plant from suffering root rot. That probably would require water roots though!
@Carcass mentions “root transition” above. I’m a believer. We’re going soil, SWICK, DWC, Coco Airpot OR SIP in Coco as an experiment.
In bold I think makes little difference. Its just scale. But fun test.
We got eyes on you! 👀
Here's the Roots from the 12 gal. SIP. It's been in the backyard baking for 2 months so it was really crumbly soil removing it.
It appears, where ever there's holes in the res for water to escape from is where the roots don't grow.
But they clearly wrap around the res & travel downward until they get to the holes at the bottom of the res.\
:thanks: Buds! It sure looks like most of your roots were down along side the res (where it's wettest), but what you said about the roots avoiding the water holes is fascinating. That could be the difference between folks with roots in the foot and those without.

I had holes all over the res and you only had them at the very bottom, so I might redo the res tub using that approach next time.

I had holes all over the res and you only had them at the very bottom, so I might redo the res tub using that approach next time.
I copied exactly what the store bought ones did. I've had the same type of root action in the 5 gal. store bought SIP's also. Kind of makes me think where the water escapes the res from makes a difference.

I copied exactly what the store bought ones did. I've had the same type of root action in the 5 gal. store bought SIP's also. Kind of makes me think where the water escapes the res from makes a difference.
Sure seems to! I'm sure holes all over was a recommendation somewhere. :hmmmm:
If you have a Soldering Iron it sure makes making the res easy. All my holes & slits were done with one.
I did the holes in my res with a soldering iron as well but had to go over a lot of them with a drill to make sure they were holes. Sometimes the plastic would close up as I backed out the soldering tip.

👀 Looks like you were right in the nick of time 😥 on that with those brown roots cause we all know what comes next. Good job 👍 Shedsterino. CL🍀. :thumb: :bravo::welldone::yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom