InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I wasn't referring to you or any one in particular. I just see some growers getting extravagant & going a little overboard on it. I don't understand why when you can easily pull a pound per plant with very little effort. It seems the less I do, the better my plants turn out. Kind of seems like they like to be left alone to do their thing. All they really ask for is to be fed. I consider myself a lazy grower. That's why I like SIP's so much. I can do very little & get big ass plants of killer weed. They are perfect for my lazy ass.... lol.
I tried to be as lazy as possible with this, top watering once on transplant and only watering into the res after that. Now it seems I should have watered a few more times from the top to get the roots used to to the wet soil down below.

I tried to be as lazy as possible with this, top watering once on transplant and only watering into the res after that. Now it seems I should have watered a few more times from the top to get the roots used to to the wet soil down below.
Maybe the amount you watered on transplant wasn't enough ? I pour a whole gallon in from the top at transplant. It fills my res 1/2 way by time it drains out. Then I top off the res after it drains. My soil is still moist 3 days later so I haven't had to top feed more than the one time at transplant. But if you're growing outdoors it will probably take more than just once as the temps, wind, etc probably all make a difference.

I've been doing the same as Buds. I grow the plant to about the 5th node in a 4" pot. When I transplant to the SIP (usually by day# 16) I water thoroughly enough to saturate the soil and run into the res. Then I cover the top with cloth and rocks and all future waterings are through the bottom res. I try to keep the res 1/2 full for the first week, then fill daily after that. Right now I'm not seeing much if any slowdown when they go into the SIP, and by the 2nd week in the SIP they're in overdrive!

Monday update! I've got the standard plant shots as well as some pics of my approach to #nolarf after flip, so those will follow. :)

First, it's been 3 days since I replanted the Grandpa's Moonshine and it looks pretty much the same:

I moved it to a spot where it will get a few hours of morning sun and then be in the shade for the rest of the afternoon, but the pot is pretty much as heavy as it was on Friday after the move. Come on roots! :cheer:

Next up is the 5 Killer Cookies on flip day 10, and it's not quite showing pistils (tomorrow probably) so I gave it the final neem spray this morning for anything that might be hiding in all that foliage (that's sunlight not bleached leaves!):

You'll notice I didn't do a lollipop on this one because I didn't want too much new growth up top at the rate it was going before I flipped it, so it's very leafy all the way down. I did take off a lot of short branches before I flipped it, and every day I take off any new growth I don't want to flower.

Most importantly, I don't want my lowers to have lowers. Here is what I mean by that: the end of any branch that is an original node off the trunk is a top, and any branch that comes off those branches is a lower (even if it comes off the top node). Almost all the interior branches are lowers of lowers, and I only want to grow out the top flowers on those. Everything below gets plucked all through flower.

Here is an example. This branch is the first (lowest) one off the top node:

You can see how far down it goes before it connects to the plant. Here is a closeup of the flowers I don't want the plant to put any energy into growing:

I want at least these two gone:

One down, more to go:

Here is another example, before:

and after:

I do this on every single branch that isn't a node end, and even on some of the actual lower nodes that haven't reached the canopy. Not because they don't get light, but because the plant knows they aren't at the top. It will put most of its energy (growth hormones/auxins) into the top flowers, and the buds get larfier and larfier as you go down the plant. I hate trimming loads of tiny buds and want all the plant's energy dedicated to tops, so #nolarf for me.

Here is a shot under the canopy:

You can see there is not a single bud site growing down there. The plant will keep trying and I'll keep plucking, until it eventually gives up!

Finally, this is what diatomaceous earth looks like when it's sprayed on.

Haven't seen a live bug crawling down there since. :thumb:

And that's the dime tour of today's garden. Thanks for scrolling through!

Quotes:
Maybe the amount you watered on transplant wasn't enough ? I pour a whole gallon in from the top at transplant. It fills my res 1/2 way by time it drains out. Then I top off the res after it drains. My soil is still moist 3 days later so I haven't had to top feed more than the one time at transplant. But if you're growing outdoors it will probably take more than just once as the temps, wind, etc probably all make a difference.
I watered from the top on transplant and ended up with almost a full res at that point. I think I let it get down to about 2" before I watered again but I can't recall how long that took. I never top watered again...only into the res when it was empty.
I've been doing the same as Buds. I grow the plant to about the 5th node in a 4" pot. When I transplant to the SIP (usually by day# 16) I water thoroughly enough to saturate the soil and run into the res. Then I cover the top with cloth and rocks and all future waterings are through the bottom res. I try to keep the res 1/2 full for the first week, then fill daily after that. Right now I'm not seeing much if any slowdown when they go into the SIP, and by the 2nd week in the SIP they're in overdrive!
I went back and checked and mine was 9 nodes tall and 34 days above ground when I upcanned into the SIP. Maybe that was too tall and too much soil root growth?

5KC is looking great, and thanks for the de-larfing details!

I went back and checked and mine was 9 nodes tall and 34 days above ground when I upcanned into the SIP. Maybe that was too tall and too much soil root growth?
That would be my guess as well, but I'm not really qualified to advise. :laughtwo:

Highya ITS,

Love that 5KC! Much biomass. The underskirt looked like good airflow, so that's good! Great job removing larf! I'm concentrating on that too, this year. Doesn't take long if done every time you see some. I'm very surprised how much a difference it made. The general concensus on Grandpa's moonshine seems to be too late/big at transplanting. Surprising to find that out! Maybe the best way is to germinate in a SIP/swick. Happy Smokin'

5KC is looking great, and thanks for the de-larfing details!
Thanks BL!
That would be my guess as well, but I'm not really qualified to advise.
LOL I'll take an educated guess too. :)
Love that 5KC! Much biomass. The underskirt looked like good airflow, so that's good! Great job removing larf! I'm concentrating on that too, this year. Doesn't take long if done every time you see some. I'm very surprised how much a difference it made.
Thanks Bode, and biomass is right! There's so much near the canopy that normally wouldn't make it that it's going to be an interesting experiment at harvest. I hope I can get clear shots of how it all turned out after I strip the fans before chop.
The general concensus on Grandpa's moonshine seems to be too late/big at transplanting. Surprising to find that out! Maybe the best way is to germinate in a SIP/swick. Happy Smokin'
That's certainly how I'm going to do it next time. Figuring out why this one acted this way is not an adventure I'm going on!

Monday update! I've got the standard plant shots as well as some pics of my approach to #nolarf after flip, so those will follow. :)

First, it's been 3 days since I replanted the Grandpa's Moonshine and it looks pretty much the same:

I moved it to a spot where it will get a few hours of morning sun and then be in the shade for the rest of the afternoon, but the pot is pretty much as heavy as it was on Friday after the move. Come on roots! :cheer:

Next up is the 5 Killer Cookies on flip day 10, and it's not quite showing pistils (tomorrow probably) so I gave it the final neem spray this morning for anything that might be hiding in all that foliage (that's sunlight not bleached leaves!):

You'll notice I didn't do a lollipop on this one because I didn't want too much new growth up top at the rate it was going before I flipped it, so it's very leafy all the way down. I did take off a lot of short branches before I flipped it, and every day I take off any new growth I don't want to flower.

Most importantly, I don't want my lowers to have lowers. Here is what I mean by that: the end of any branch that is an original node off the trunk is a top, and any branch that comes off those branches is a lower (even if it comes off the top node). Almost all the interior branches are lowers of lowers, and I only want to grow out the top flowers on those. Everything below gets plucked all through flower.

You can see how far down it goes before it connects to the plant. Here is a closeup of the flowers I don't want the plant to put any energy into growing:

One down, more to go:

and after:

I do this on every single branch that isn't a node end, and even on some of the actual lower nodes that haven't reached the canopy. Not because they don't get light, but because the plant knows they aren't at the top. It will put most of its energy (growth hormones/auxins) into the top flowers, and the buds get larfier and larfier as you go down the plant. I hate trimming loads of tiny buds and want all the plant's energy dedicated to tops, so #nolarf for me.

You can see there is not a single bud site growing down there. The plant will keep trying and I'll keep plucking, until it eventually gives up!

Quotes:

I watered from the top on transplant and ended up with almost a full res at that point. I think I let it get down to about 2" before I watered again but I can't recall how long that took. I never top watered again...only into the res when it was empty.

DE spray your brave my friend hopefully you didn’t have it explode all over the tent and other plant >.>; when I stopped looking at google for help and just came to 420 to ask million questions then still mess it up somehow

I just used a basic HDx pump sprayer, and a much lighter touch than some folks. Also, didn't use a compressor. ;)
Well sir I’ll tell you this my super duber hand held Walmart sprayer didn’t come with instructions and you know some people would ask hey coffee why not try it on something that won’t kill you when you smoke? And I’m like pssssh YOLO then after I was like I’m sorry plants please don’t die or kill me when I smoke you 😭 then sprayed them with a hose for a good hour and got 90% of it off this is why you don’t allow plants to go out door then indoor never ends well

Quick question what do you do if your jar isn’t going below 70% humidity could it be to full?
What's the ambient RH where the jar is? If it's lower (60%?), dump the jar out on newspaper for an hour, re-jar, and see where it settles.

If the ambient RH is higher than 70%, find a car with AC, turn it on high, and lay the buds on newspaper on the seat and leave them there for, oh I dunno, 15-30 minutes, re-jar and re-check.

You could also try a bucket with a DampRid-style product in it but not touching the buds. No clue how long to leave them in there.

Don't bother with Boveda 62s as they won't do it.

What's the ambient RH where the jar is? If it's lower (60%?), dump the jar out on newspaper for an hour, re-jar, and see where it settles.

If the ambient RH is higher than 70%, find a car with AC, turn it on high, and lay the buds on newspaper on the seat and leave them there for, oh I dunno, 15-30 minutes, re-jar and re-check.

You could also try a bucket with a DampRid-style product in it but not touching the buds. No clue how long to leave them in there.

Don't bother with Boveda 62s as they won't do it.
According to the tent it’s 69% and the jar is sitting at 73% wife threatened divorce if I used her car I’ll hide it in my sock drawer that’s what I did with my last run for almost a year lol I’ll look into the Damprid thing get paid tomorrow yippie!

I'm sorry the GM is still having difficulties. Let's hope it turns a corner soon. Thank you for the delarf notes and pics. That helps big time. Why do you say the Boveda 62s are no good?

I'm sorry the GM is still having difficulties. Let's hope it turns a corner soon. Thank you for the delarf notes and pics. That helps big time. Why do you say the Boveda 62s are no good?
Me too! And Bovedas are designed to keep RH stable in a closed container within a few points either way, not drop a jar of buds 8%. Also they work very slowly and the buds would mold before they get them down in a safe range.

One down, more to go:

and after:

Quotes:

Sounds like a possibility. I haven't waited that long to up-pot so can't really confirm it. Maybe see who else waited over 30 days & find out what their results were?
As I mentioned prior, I up-pot when they're ready to Top between the 4th & 5th node.
That wasn't even a week ago & they are now starting their 8th node. I was even surprised at that, as I've never really paid much attention to how fast they grow. They just now emptied the res. That took about 4-5 days. I'll be flipping to flower in about a week. Can't let them get too big with 4 plants in a 4x4 tent.

Back
Top Bottom