Irish's Harvest Journal, 2009

Wow, it's been one wild harvest. First and second cutting is in the curing room and thirdsies I gave to my caretaker as his interest in the grow. The OG Kush surprised even me with their yields--final tally (including the 4 broken branches a couple weeks before harvest) reveals 15lbs per plant of half trimmed buds. I don't have a count on the Island Skunks or the Juicy Fruit as they're still going through a very slow dry in an experimental method. I can't do my usual custom micro-cure due to the inability to do my usual trim plus the sheer volume that came out of the garden. Instead, I've turned my curing room into a giant humidor and am crossing my fingers that the leaves don't ruin the taste of the buds.

Leaves are a pain in the bum. They have a whole different texture to the flower--kinda like wax paper--and restrict the flow of vapors within the bud. Generally, I want all leaves trimmed from the bud at the base of the petiole before it wilts after cutting. But this year, after being told by LEO that I couldn't employ trimmers, decided to go with that flow and see if a good cure can be accomplished with minimal to no trimming.

It's been scary.

Especially with the Juicy Fruit. Those colas are tight, monstrous and full of leaves. Maintaining and managing the correct relative humidity for drying and then curing has been a real trick to accomplish. So far, no mold or bud rot. I've held my breath until I've turned blue. I guess it's time to exhale because they got through the process well enough to go into sealed tubs, but I still monitor them several times a day. Interesting fragrance as they cure--sorta like a creamy lemon curd or pudding--makes the mouth water for citrus. Not dry enough to give it an honest taste test as there is still alot of chlorophyll to off-gas, and without trimming, this is taking a long time. To be fair, I did trim a whole tub full to do my Ambrosia cure with, and it's really turning out nice. But the most of these flowers are hirsuit with all of their leaves intact, and so keeping them from wrecking requires not only vigilance, but the ability to turn it back from the edge before the wrong chemical exchange makes the whole crop rot or mold.

Bud and nug pics soon, I promise....
How's that 6 lb. weight limit doing about now. I think i'd dig me a hole and bury my cured stuff in one of those plastic storage bins, till i could figure out what to do with it. You can get 50 lb. in one of the big ones. Especially if you vacumm seal it before you put it in the plastic bin. Shrink wrap that baby, bury it about 2 foot below the lid, and plant some rose bushes on top !! Just a thought ??

^
That's sort of what I was thinking, but what if they bring a K9 unit?
If you had about 50 1 gal glass jars, or even bigger ones. Dogs would not smell that. I used to have a cooler that we used for fishing boat, that would hold 50 lbs. and if it was vacumm packed in heavy duty plastic. They wont bring dogs anyhow, because they know the smell is there. Why would they bring dogs ?? Hell, i could smell your place from an 1/8th. of a mile !! Ha !! If i was a young man Irish, i would be looking to buy some land in your county or some place similar. I'd like to have your problems !! I can hardly wait to follow along, when you grow these giants next yr. !! Bet you got a lot of tricks up your green sleeve :nicethread:!!

^

i don't thinka k9 would be much of a match for her irish wolfhounds (which btw irish, yours are some beautiful animals!)

Ok, I mean this in the best possible way, and I know I might be a bit hypocritical and going against the fighting the good fight way of thinking...

but I gotta say I'd consider having one hell of a bonfire with LEO already on your ass... they HATE being disobeyed... and if they have something on you... just keep what you know you can defend.

I just know you can grow again next season... and LEO also tends to lose interest over time.

Ok, heresy I know, I'll shut up now... :peace:

How's that 6 lb. weight limit doing about now. I think i'd dig me a hole and bury my cured stuff in one of those plastic storage bins, till i could figure out what to do with it. You can get 50 lb. in one of the big ones. Especially if you vacumm seal it before you put it in the plastic bin. Shrink wrap that baby, bury it about 2 foot below the lid, and plant some rose bushes on top !! Just a thought ??

LOL! Weight limit. That's funny.

I've thought of the burial method, but that's pretty common around here and is often found. I opted for the space bags--you know, those HUGE vacuumable bags you put your clothes in and suck 'em down flat for under the bed or in some storage area. Handy, and don't keep 'em all in the same place. I think I'm secure. I hope I'm secure. I'm pretty sure I'm secure.....;)

^

Let 'em bring the K9 unit and see if they can concentrate enough to sniff through a colony of over 30 cats, a 4' iguana, and my girls (IW's). Nothing they hit on will matter. And if they harm any of my animals in their search, bigtime lawsuit and I don't mean maybe.

If you had about 50 1 gal glass jars, or even bigger ones. Dogs would not smell that. I used to have a cooler that we used for fishing boat, that would hold 50 lbs. and if it was vacumm packed in heavy duty plastic. They wont bring dogs anyhow, because they know the smell is there. Why would they bring dogs ?? Hell, i could smell your place from an 1/8th. of a mile !! Ha !! If i was a young man Irish, i would be looking to buy some land in your county or some place similar. I'd like to have your problems !! I can hardly wait to follow along, when you grow these giants next yr. !! Bet you got a lot of tricks up your green sleeve :nicethread:!!

Gallon glass jars. 50 of them. Now that would be fun to hide! :allgood: On the cooler idea--that's my usual storage place. Gave thought to a locking chest freezer for this harvest. Hard to hide that too. Or bury it. *LOL*

You might be able to smell my place from a mile away during harvest. *LOL* My only saving grace is that there are a couple dozen growers in a half-mile radius. Smells great for miles and miles around once September hits!

i don't thinka k9 would be much of a match for her irish wolfhounds (which btw irish, yours are some beautiful animals!)

Thank you, Hogdady. They're good girls, every one. A K9 wouldn't be any match for them at all. I think the po-po would pack their K9 up once they saw what they have to go through to get inside.:ganjamon:

Ok, I mean this in the best possible way, and I know I might be a bit hypocritical and going against the fighting the good fight way of thinking...

but I gotta say I'd consider having one hell of a bonfire with LEO already on your ass... they HATE being disobeyed... and if they have something on you... just keep what you know you can defend.

I just know you can grow again next season... and LEO also tends to lose interest over time.

Ok, heresy I know, I'll shut up now... :peace:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered that. It is burn season here after all. But every time I start to freak out about it, something just goes *tink* in my head and I get all surly mad that I even have to think about having to do something drastic like that. I just can't let fear drive my actions. It's a senseless thing, and largely unreasonable--almost totally useless--other than to make one more meticulous, calculating, and mindful of every little detail.

So you all get to hear me rant from time to time about the unfairness of it all and vent my frustration with the whole system, but you'll never see pics of a sacrificial bonfire like that, unless it's harvest again and we're all dancing naked around it with pot leaves in our hair....:battingeyelashes:

:nomo:

You could turn it into Rick Simpson's version of "Hemp Oil" and cure 40 people of cancer, if the law allowed it. Instead we'll just let them die, albeit legally. Sorry for the rant.

Hey, feel free to rant. I do it all the time! :grinjoint:

Irish,
Ive following your tale and your an inspiration....keep up the fight.

Thank you so much, PitViper. It's a good fight. One day the war will be over and all of this rude stuff will fade away into the mists of time. Just got to strap in, sit tight and hold on to the bar! :ganjamon:

:peace:

You got one of the most impressive grows I've seen on here. Congrats on your winnings this month! I look forward to seeing more of your grows

Irish I feel for ya about the work never being done. LOL thats ruff isn't it. When ever I get a harvest in, I got alot of 'homies'. JK I myself am pretty much a loner. But I've just speed read thru the last 4-5 pages of you grow, 'Woman, see I got it rite,' You did great. Thats a fine grow. WAY FINE. I know alot don't agree with me, you can't beat mother nature, only imitate it. Week or month there is no way anyone can match the yield, or quality of the great outdoors. I envy your garden. I hope to match some next year. If I can find a good strain for outdoors in the Pacific Northwest Area. I know I had problems growing satvia up here. But I did get a late start. I moved here 2 months into the season, and all my satvia's started to flower way late. I'll go back and look but what strain did you have you were impressed the most with? Girl thats abunch of sweet looking bud's. Hey are you married???????????? JK

Irish I feel for ya about the work never being done. LOL thats ruff isn't it. When ever I get a harvest in, I got alot of 'homies'. JK I myself am pretty much a loner. But I've just speed read thru the last 4-5 pages of you grow, 'Woman, see I got it rite,' You did great. Thats a fine grow. WAY FINE. I know alot don't agree with me, you can't beat mother nature, only imitate it. Week or month there is no way anyone can match the yield, or quality of the great outdoors. I envy your garden. I hope to match some next year. If I can find a good strain for outdoors in the Pacific Northwest Area. I know I had problems growing satvia up here. But I did get a late start. I moved here 2 months into the season, and all my satvia's started to flower way late. I'll go back and look but what strain did you have you were impressed the most with? Girl thats abunch of sweet looking bud's. Hey are you married???????????? JK

High Norcaliwood! Thanks bunches. I usually have a herd of homies in on harvest, and it's usually a gala affair with as much food and celebration as there is work, ending in a final harvest party once the last bud is hung and the holes bedded down for Winter. Didn't happen this year--just couldn't risk my friends' freedom once discovered and reprimanded.

The problem with growing sativa up here is it's sunshine requirement--you've got to provide tons of access to sunlight--at least 10-12 hours of direct, non-filtered or shaded light--otherwise they can get somewhat weedy/lanky and the colas stretched and fluffy.

I am totally impressed with the Island Skunk. She needs the most sunlight in the garden, but if you're generous with water and put her in just the right spot, she'll turn on the afterburners and give you a giant harvest by mid-October even if she first hits the ground in July. One of the other gardens here lost a plant in July, and I was able to find one last Island Skunk clone to put in its place somewhere in the middle of the month. Didn't look like it was going to do much until September, then she just sprung up and went wild--even caught up in height with mine and had a comparable harvest come October.

garden_004.jpg

(3" clone in mid-July--this pic taken of the Island Skunk and her proud owner in September, a month before harvest)

I would imagine just about any skunk created by California/Pacific Northwest growers would be comparable. Can't lose with a good skunk, IMHO. Just always keep in mind that the Sativas need bright, long, unfiltered and uninterrupted photoperiods to do their best as they just need to drink up the light. They're not for the shady garden, even partial shade.

And no, as a matter of fact I'm not married. :ganjamon:

Frak! The urge to panic was just unreal! I live out here in the sticks for a reason--to be away from masses of people and all the drama. This place has been Sanctuary for 25 years, and now I no longer feel safe. It's bad enough to be worried about rippers. I get cased every year and this year a travel trailer just magically appeared in the orchard adjacent to my acreage, and they've been eyeing this place ever since. None of the neighbors know who they are...but anyway, according to these detectives, not only can I not employ anyone to trim for me, I cannot have anyone here to defend me or guard my crop, either.

I live alone.

"So you're telling me that I can't have someone help me or protect me from intruders, even though I live alone?"

"I'm sorry. It's the law."

Dear Irish,
Now I don't know you from the person I see on the road in passing... but YOU GOT OFF LUCKY DEAR PERSON!... I got popped as a younger person TWICE for possession... IF I had been accused of cultivation I would still be in jail... YOU still have your plants you still have the means to grow... you are OK! YOU ARE OK! (repeat this to yourself a few times) First comes shock, fear and the intimidation... THEN comes anger and scheming... well in you scheming and hurt. Remember one thing: YOU are still free and you are OK.

Obviously you have a lawyer who is concerned and protective. So you have someone to speak for you legally... that you PAY... that is a nice incentive for them.

IRISH, in my time of life and experience the next thing I must say is ROUGH.

"TRUST NO ONE." - You seem like a fair-minded and reasonable person... a healthy dose of personal paranoia isn't a fault, it should be your default! Look at it this way, we are only REALLY in control of our situation from 'in here' (in the self) so make sure the environment around you is to your 'comfort'.

And then get it as comfortable as you desire. Do what you have to to make sure you feel comfortable. Hey, I use remote cameras!!! And am expanding that venture.

NOW: Are the plants OK?... inspect them! And look a bit. Bugs are smaller now-a-days.

Next: I would consider my environs. Being out alone is really nice, but after twenty years in the wilds... I gotta tell ya, it isn't so lonely or untouched! And I have a posted sign out at the gate for a reason... I still am with people coming down into the yard (a quarter mile!!!) "Oh we saw the sign, but we thought we would come down an look around!"... yeah they got a LOT O' GALL!... and I don't trust a single *#&$^! one of them. So you have to remember YOU ARE NEVER ALONE. Either way! don't forget there is a great Kahuna that has a hand in all of this too ~8) and She is getting pretty pissed at the whole lot of us~! Trail cameras are a good thing too. Because you can always use them to find out if someone is casing your place. And after an experience like you had... peace of mind is worth the WORLD!!!

When dealing with folks you know well you have to inside yourself KNOW in your gut that you have folks that want one thing: stay alive stay free stay high and LIVE LIFE like you want to (and without harming others...!) Don't go doubting old friends or fellow growers... just realize. YOU CANNOT BE AS OPEN AS YOU THINK YOU CAN - EVER! even if it gets legalized... those that grow will always be subject to thieves and other forces... it comes with the territory.

You can build a dream Irish, but the sad thing is you can't ALWAYS share it... but be glad you still can and with those you love!

Remember:
DON'T PANIC!

P.S. Don't forget there is always a way to work around intrusion problems... you can always grow 'indoors'.

JUST SIT DOWN and Vape a bit! (I will keep you in my thoughts):roorrip:

WOW, read your journal what a spectacular grow! Even the copsand dicks stated "they never saw plants that big before" and it was a good thing when the Detective shared the alibi about your needing help trimming. In RI where I live anyone around the grow is safe working or otherwise, they are protected by statute. Anyway this is great, I am figuring 50-60 semi wet about 23# dried correct. That is wonderful, be careful there are people in this world who kill and rape for $8 never mind pounds of chronic. Cameras are always a good idea to protect against LEO and thieves and what is the difference when your looking at the barrel of a gun?
A BIG +REP and 5 Stars

So... How're things going with Ms. Irish? How'd that bud you had to leave leaves on turn out anyways?

H2OGanjaFarmr :ganjamon:

High H2OGanjaFarmr! It didn't turn out half-bad, actually. Imparted a little more bitter taste of leaf than I would like in the overall savor, but not too objectionable if you're not a perfectionist. One thing I really hate about it though is that it is not easy to trim this way. I just broke into a container of OG Kush that has been curing for the past 4 months and it is sooooo sticky each and every leaf has to be pulled and snipped off individually. The buds are so soft and sticky that they can't be ground in a grinder and can't be rolled and smoked because there is no draw--take the paper off and the weed sticks together like soft hash, and after breaking some off and popping it into a pipe, tastes like it too. Amazing, but not exactly what I had in mind....:peace:

Back
Top Bottom