Jandre2k3's Intelligent-Gro Testing: Phase 1

I'm new to 420 but I have been watching the grow.Jandre I hope you don't mind me getting a front row seat. I'm in the market for some LEDs over my 2-1000watters. Your grow is looking good. I'm 2 weeks into flowering 18 wonder woman plants . she is out of control now at 4' tall and still stretching.

I'm new to 420 but I have been watching the grow.Jandre I hope you don't mind me getting a front row seat. I'm in the market for some LEDs over my 2-1000watters. Your grow is looking good. I'm 2 weeks into flowering 18 wonder woman plants . she is out of control now at 4' tall and still stretching.

Ewwww... 2 weeks and still stretching. That is the main reason that I run GLR for at least a month before I switch to Flower. The transition takes mere days, instead of weeks, so the stretch is greatly reduced.

Welcome to :420: and welcome to the thread! Thanks for subscribing.

Boy this was interesting! I am so out of the various terms though and could use some basic info on them. For instance: COB, GLR.

Anyway, from what little I know lux, lumens are from a very long time ago when light was compared to candles. 1 lux was the equivalent to 1 candle at 1 meter. The same goes for lumens and as such it worked for a long time. Now we have many types of light which sometimes doesn't work at all with a meter. The concept of PAR values in plant lighting is more informative for plant growth as apposed to say street lights which is for the human eye.

For me it's a matter of plant health and growth rate and finely finished fruit. Many factors could change this so of course it's very important that all is the same in blind testing. For instance a lot of people compare HPS vs LED when most people who use HIDs also use MH and HPS so the comparisons are skewed as far as I am concerned. Every test I have read about never uses the LEDs as they are supposed to be such as using the veg cycle only for the entire veg cycle, instead they always turn on the bloom lights for both veg and bloom or full power. I suggest comparing everything as it would be used HID should use MH for veg and HPS for bloom. LEDs should use the veg cycle for all of the veg cycle and the bloom only for flower.

Just a thought
I really have enjoyed this test so far, so good going and keep the photos coming.

Hey Jandre!! Sorry for not keeping up with the light measurement topic, life has been super busy lately!! Anyhow I do have some info I will share, but just have to find the time this weekend. I did find a formula that seems to have a very good percentage of accuracy for measuring intensity by distance for LED's.. but it is not exact. Either way, measurements or not, I know these Intelligent Gro lights are kicking some serious Buds in my garden! Very dense and frosty!

I wanted to invite you over to my journal, I currently am on day 45 of flowering and things are looking very frosty!! Also I have a special surprise that I will be revealing tonight/tomorrow :)

Boy this was interesting! I am so out of the various terms though and could use some basic info on them. For instance: COB, GLR.

Anyway, from what little I know lux, lumens are from a very long time ago when light was compared to candles. 1 lux was the equivalent to 1 candle at 1 meter. The same goes for lumens and as such it worked for a long time. Now we have many types of light which sometimes doesn't work at all with a meter. The concept of PAR values in plant lighting is more informative for plant growth as apposed to say street lights which is for the human eye.

For me it's a matter of plant health and growth rate and finely finished fruit. Many factors could change this so of course it's very important that all is the same in blind testing. For instance a lot of people compare HPS vs LED when most people who use HIDs also use MH and HPS so the comparisons are skewed as far as I am concerned. Every test I have read about never uses the LEDs as they are supposed to be such as using the veg cycle only for the entire veg cycle, instead they always turn on the bloom lights for both veg and bloom or full power. I suggest comparing everything as it would be used HID should use MH for veg and HPS for bloom. LEDs should use the veg cycle for all of the veg cycle and the bloom only for flower.

Just a thought
I really have enjoyed this test so far, so good going and keep the photos coming.

Hehe, sorry... I get a little carried away with my acronyms.

GLR is "Gas Lantern Routine" Red about that here: Gas lantern Routine - Diminishing Light

COB LED means chip on board LED, it's one of bare chip technologies, which interconnect bare chip to substrate by conductive or non-conductive adhesive, and then wire bonding to achieve its electrical connection. COB package is attach number of chips directly to the substrate, then packaged together by silica gel, epoxy resin or other materials, the yellow part is phosphor.
Produce process:
The first step of COB package is to cover wafer placement point on the substrate surface by thermal conductive epoxy (usually is epoxy resin mixed with silver particles). Second is put the wafer on the substrate surface directly, then fix wafer to the substrate firmly by heat treatment. Third is to establish electrical connection between wafer and the substrate by wire bonding method.

COB LED advantages:
COB light source can save about 30% cost in the application, mainly lie in LED package cost, light engine production costs and the secondary light distribution costs, which is great significance for applications and promotion of semiconductor lighting.
In performance, through the rational design and micro-lens molding, COB light module can avoid the defects of point and glare light also other flaws existed in discrete light source device. It also can add some red chips appropriately, so that to improve the CRI effectively under the condition of without reduce light efficiency and lifetime significantly.
In application, COB module makes production of lighting manufacturer more simple and convenient, and reduces cost effectively. In production, the existing technology and equipment can support high yield and large-scale COB module manufacturing.

With the development of LED lighting market, lighting demand is growing rapidly, according to different inquires of lighting applications, we can produce a series COB light source module for mass production.

COB LED disadvantages:
COB packaging technology bottleneck is how to improve the reliability of the light source, and its operating temperature. However, most of the current market COB packaging companies are small and they mostly use aluminum substrate as the material. Aluminum COB reliability is low because of its greater thermal resistance, easy to cause death LED or high light attenuation. The ceramic substrate is an ideal COB material, but its cost is relatively high, especially for the power less than 2W, difficult to be accepted by customer.

Also, the demand of COB light source on the market is still low by now. In addition, COB LED exist standardization issues, the standards of package manufacturers and lighting factories are not the same, so the two parties have difficult in integration.

Application:
Currently, the main applications for COB LED are and mining lamps, spot lights, street lights and so on.

Hey Jandre!! Sorry for not keeping up with the light measurement topic, life has been super busy lately!! Anyhow I do have some info I will share, but just have to find the time this weekend. I did find a formula that seems to have a very good percentage of accuracy for measuring intensity by distance for LED's.. but it is not exact. Either way, measurements or not, I know these Intelligent Gro lights are kicking some serious Buds in my garden! Very dense and frosty!

I wanted to invite you over to my journal, I currently am on day 45 of flowering and things are looking very frosty!! Also I have a special surprise that I will be revealing tonight/tomorrow :)

Hehe, I've been subbed for a while, and lurking. :cheesygrinsmiley: But I'll come check out the surprise.

Jandre2k3's Intelligent-Gro Testing: Phase 1

Testing:

06/14/2014
Plants go into Flower DAY ZERO tonight. After the lights go out in the morning, there will be no hour of light on at 11:30 to 12:30.

I will be switching to the pre-programmed "BLOOM" for the light, and sticking with that for this test, as it was intended, just as I stuck with the regular VEG program for all but my tried-and-true GLR phase "tweener". Guess I could have gone without it but I really , really, really wanted to see how fast the switch to flower would happen under the right par light from LED's.
12hr_Bloom_program_graph.png

So make noon the ZERO HOUR, and here's the schedule. On at 7pm, and off by 7am.

TOTAL VEG TIME: 109DAYS from clone, or 3 months and 2 weeks.

Harlequin flowers quickly and requires about 60 to 70 days to finish indoors. So by Sept 1 at the very latest, we will be harvesting.

Back
Top Bottom