Kush DWC grow

Re: LabRat's latest Kush DWC grow.

Just like some guys want high performance so they cough up the extra bux for a Corvette when I'm happy with my Chevy. It gets me from point A to B just as well, just not as flashy. Nothing wrong with it if that's what a guy wants but with my chronic low bux situation it is what it is. If I had extra bux I'd spend it on some controllers and stuff to make this even easier. Maybe a light mover as well.

I'm running my tubs at about 850 ppm and was thinking about boosting to 1250 but after checking out that link I'm thinking that 850 is lots. I think I'm getting primo now. I might get a little more of it but is it worth the money. It's the plant's genetics that count for quality and as long as they get adequate food the pot will be just as good IMO.

C'ya l8r Flurple. :peace:

Man, I've been thinking just the same... hell, look at what the LED guys claim, why wouldn't nutrient makers do likewise?

I do thing the method of grow is an important factor - I remember Pit saying he'd tried to go longer, but had problems, so maybe DWC is more efficient than ebb&grow in that respect - less salt buildup, thus waste, in the DWC perhaps...

And nute brand of course... AN is what you're using right? Is that the only one specifically marketed to pot growing?

Anyway, you know I love an experiment!! :roorrip::thanks::goodjob:

As a noobie I have a hard time with nutes, I bought nutes with no clear guide (noobie mistake again), but seeing how well you are doing on the 850ppm, I see no reason to increase dosage unless plants call for it. You are the first to mention this and I know part of why I only have 1 completely healthy plant in my grow is that I want to PUSH it so I can prove I can grow. You know, it has hit me the last few weeks, I don't do the growing, the plant does...and what happens when mom feeds the kids too much, they get fat (sickly).

So the lesson I take away from this is that it is easy to blow it when you think giving more is better. I think this is a case of what makes the plant the happiest, not the grower. :grinjoint:

Anyway I chimed in to let you and everyone else who is interested that Walmart has 21 gallon Rubbermaid totes with clamp on lids for $5 bucks or at least here they do. I picked up two and with Christmas money ordered my air pump / stones / line and valves for the air. Slowly as I can I am getting my bubbler stuff assembled.

I really appreciate seeing such awesome grows using this method, I think it will fit me really well unless I pop a hole in that thing, but it is rubbermaid and feels pretty sturdy. (They are red with green tops, oh well.....ho, ho, ho). So on my list of things to get I need the buckets, hydroton, and nutes. Just gonna do the main 3 GH nutes probably, can you suggest besides H2O2 (once a week, I remember), what supplements you suggest if any for like micro nutes or minerals or whatever?

:thanks: :peace:

High there MountainHigh.

Most of the f*** ups I've seen with growers was from too much, too much. Too much fussing around with every little detail etc etc. It takes a few grows under your belt to be able to read your plants and treat them just the way they will respond the best. Even a different strain will be different in it's responses. A lot like women. lol I've been growing on and off for thirty years or so. Pretty regular the last ten and I can't read them perfectly tho I have a lot less screw ups nowadays.

I don't think I've ever seen the tubs your talking about. I never go to wallyworld tho. Don't like 'em even if I can save a few bucks. I've always used the Rubbermaid Roughnecks, same colour tub and lid. The dark blue works good but never had a problem using the light blue ones either. I've never had one break but if they get a gouge or cut in them I get a new one. The big tubs I'm using look pregnant when they are full. I was going to wrap three layers of duct tape around the middle but forgot until they were already full.

For your nutes the GH nutes will have the micronutes in the Micro portion of the 3. I use the silica or liquid rock first, pH down to 6, stir in a tablespoon of epsom salts, 35% H2O2 @ 2cc/USGal, add nutes and the pH ends up about 5.5 and she's ready to rock. Pick whatever supplements you like but I only use a little Big Bud in the last few weeks of flowering. I would like to get some of that AN Kushie Kush or whatever it's called for my Kush ladies.

C'ya :peace:

Nice grow you got going there bro:popcorn:I am going to have atleast 1 of the buckets you got going there my next round, I will be watching this journal keep up the good work love them roots OMG! I don't use hydrogen Peroxide cuz of the AN line up I use think it's going to be a problem?

Nice grow you got going there bro:popcorn:I am going to have atleast 1 of the buckets you got going there my next round, I will be watching this journal keep up the good work love them roots OMG! I don't use hydrogen Peroxide cuz of the AN line up I use think it's going to be a problem?

High chinkyeyes and :welcome: to 420Mag and my grow space.

I use AN 3 part hydro nutes. Is the stuff you're using organic? If not I would recommend H2O2 to make sure you never get root rot or other water borne nasties. If it is organic I don't know what to tell you as I've never used it. I'd like to see someone use it and put up a journal. (hint, hint) lol I'm just going to post some pics so if your still up in a half hour have a look.

Exactly 5 weeks today @ 12/12. Everybody's doing fine. I've decided to go ahead and not change the nutes in the second tub for the whole grow to see what happens, unless they go to shit on me. Those plants were a already a little smaller than the first tub before I changed the nutes 5 days ago. If anything the second tub looks a little better over all IMHO. It's gone from the beginning, 47 days without a nute change. Just small amounts of nutes to keep the ppm where I want it @ 850 ppm. I plan to let both tubs go down to 600 ppm and maintain them there until a week before harvest then down to 300 ppm. No flush as I plan to harvest in 3 stages to maximize yield. The tops of the buds are sparse compared to a little further down the plant but I'm hoping they fill out in the next couple of weeks.

A group shot with the 1st tub in the front. I'll switch next time.

Day_47_35_1212GroupShot1.jpg

A nice bud from the 1st tub. None of the other pics turned out damn it.

Day_47_35_1212_tub1-1.jpg

A someday cola on the second tub a little down from the top.

Day_47_35_1212_2-1.jpg

A group shot from the 2nd tub.

Day_47_35_1212_2-2.jpg

And a pregnant tub.

Day_47_35_1212tub.jpg

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks until the work starts trimming and curing. That part of the job I wish I could contract out. LOL but there will be lots of scissor hash and it's ALL MINE !! Bwahahaha

C'ya all l8r. :peace:

yo Rat what's up? hope santa treated you well. haha.

so i went out and did some shopping.

2- Rubbermaid Roughnecks (dark blue, approx 10 gal each)
2- 4" net pots
3L- Hydroton
10'- air hose
1- 10 gal aquarium air pump
1- 4" air stone
AN Grow/Micro/Bloom
Grotek pH down (17% acid)

i followed essentially what you laid out in your tek, and it looks great. filled it with tap water to check the airstone, etc. it seems to work, but i may add another stone later.

yer gals are looking great. i can't wait to try it out.

p.s. all told it came in at about $112!

LabRat you are amazing Buddy. That's gonna be a long trim job.
You have earned it all.:grinjoint: Nothing like experience and it sure shows in your grow. :peace:

Thanks OMM. With age comes wisdom . . . and aches and pains and madcow . . . but cannabis fixes all that or at least makes it easier to live with. LOL

:peace:

yo Rat what's up? hope santa treated you well. haha.

<snip>

i followed essentially what you laid out in your tek, and it looks great. filled it with tap water to check the airstone, etc. it seems to work, but i may add another stone later.

yer gals are looking great. i can't wait to try it out.

p.s. all told it came in at about $112!

Right on News! Did they not have any larger stones? I would definitely get another one at least. It depends on how big you grow tho. A 4" stone would probably be fine for a couple or few plants if a 12" is adequate for the forests in my tubs.

How are you doing the holes in the lid? Careful carving or rented hole saw? $112, not bad. The next one will cost even less and the first oz will pay for it all plus the electricity. I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows.

Right on News! Did they not have any larger stones? I would definitely get another one at least. It depends on how big you grow tho. A 4" stone would probably be fine for a couple or few plants if a 12" is adequate for the forests in my tubs.

How are you doing the holes in the lid? Careful carving or rented hole saw? $112, not bad. The next one will cost even less and the first oz will pay for it all plus the electricity. I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows.

That's what i thought, 12", but the guy at the store said i should be good with a 4". we'll see how it goes. it makes lots of bubbles. i've got 2 - 12" bubble screens, so i can always use them.

i cut the holes using my trusty knife, never leave home without it. after the rough holes were cut, i used a razor to trim the edges and make a nice round hole. worked pretty good. the net pots fit real snug.

i'm going to make the holes bigger in the second lid, so that i'll be able to use larger net pots, these seem so damned small, haha. i suppose that's the my view still left over from soil grows, since it shouldn't matter as the roots'll be down in the reservoir anyways.

now, i can't wait to start it up. i even got a deal on distilled water, 5-gal for $6.

i haven't got a pH/tds/ meter, but i have lab-grade measuring equipment and the schedule on the bottles gives an approx ppm based on volume of nutes/litre. since you're using the same nutes, have you found their numbers to be accurate?

That's what i thought, 12", but the guy at the store said i should be good with a 4". we'll see how it goes. it makes lots of bubbles. i've got 2 - 12" bubble screens, so i can always use them.

i cut the holes using my trusty knife, never leave home without it. after the rough holes were cut, i used a razor to trim the edges and make a nice round hole. worked pretty good. the net pots fit real snug.

i'm going to make the holes bigger in the second lid, so that i'll be able to use larger net pots, these seem so damned small, haha. i suppose that's the my view still left over from soil grows, since it shouldn't matter as the roots'll be down in the reservoir anyways.

now, i can't wait to start it up. i even got a deal on distilled water, 5-gal for $6.

i haven't got a pH/tds/ meter, but i have lab-grade measuring equipment and the schedule on the bottles gives an approx ppm based on volume of nutes/litre. since you're using the same nutes, have you found their numbers to be accurate?

Hmmm . . . Does the guy at the store grow DWC? ;0)

The problem with bigger pots is they hang down lower in the tub and you lose room for nutes. Even a large pot will not be enough to keep a huge plant from tipping over. You can grow trees in a 4" pot.

5 gal water for $6, ouch. My tubs are going through at least 2 gal/day and I get RO water for $3.49 or use distilled from my distiller that can produce 10 gal/day. The power the distiller uses makes the water cost almost as much as RO water from the store. I gotta get an RO unit. About 12 KW/day for the grow and another 27 KW for 10 gal of water probably 10/month = a power bill I hate opening every month. LOL

My nutes don't show approximate ppm but I could check my sparse notes and help you figure out good levels. The meters are a good investment and take the guess-work out of it.

C'ya. :peace:

Great grow and great tutorial. I think I am going to give this a go on my next run instead of soil. This may be a stupid question but do you think this method would work well in a 4x4 tent? Does this increase your humidity? Also you say that your tubs are going through 2 gal per day. Does that mean you are adding water everyday? and if so are you also adding nutes everyday? Sorry for the lame questions but I'm a noob with hydro. Had one run about 8 years ago but have stuck with soil ever since. Great job!! +rep

High chinkyeyes and :welcome: to 420Mag and my grow space.

I use AN 3 part hydro nutes. Is the stuff you're using organic? If not I would recommend H2O2 to make sure you never get root rot or other water borne nasties. If it is organic I don't know what to tell you as I've never used it. I'd like to see someone use it and put up a journal. (hint, hint) lol I'm just going to post some pics so if your still up in a half hour have a look.

Well I will definately do atleast 1 DWC like yours using the full line of AN and do a journal on it. Yes some of the additives are organic. Nice new pics "time for a bowl" :bong: Looks like they are growing real nice.:adore:
+rep

yeah, i don't know if he's DWC. probably not though. i never even though about it.. haha.

yeah, buying water is expensive, but i need to suppliment my tap water with something cause it's very hard. i guess i'm just trying to take the "cheaper" way out, since i don't have an RO unit or a distiller. everything costs too damned much lately.

i figure i can use the filtered water from my Berkey and add the pH down to adjust it to a proper level. i've got some testing strips for pH that should help me.

i figure i'm running about 10kw/day on the whole grow. if you do find any info on approx levels, i'd appreciate it.

as always. keep up the great work man.

Thanks chinkyeyed. I popped over and checked out your grow. :adore:

I feel so inadequate now. LOL

Someday, someday. If I could get off my lazy ass!

C'ya L8r. :peace:

Labrat Love the pics!! The buds are looking extremely hairy!! I normally dont go for hairy gals but in the case of a cannabis plant the hairier the better!! LOL. Man, talk about trees and forests...you have got that right! Imagine little Ewoks running around in there LOL. Man this is some good sheeet. Keep on growing and sharing brother I am learning a ton.

Oh btw, Doctor Who posted some good info about why changing reservoirs is important.
Here is a quote from his journal...

TDS, Total Dissolved Salts. As the water evaporates or is consumed, the concentration of TDS becomes stronger, to the point of being Toxic. The TDS increase as the amount of water decreases.

This creates the need to replenish the water, to replace the water. As we replace that missing water, we create an IMBALANCE. Hydroponics grown plants eat what they need, as they need it and they leave some nutes to build up and accumulate into a poisonous or toxic level.

This creates the need to daily TOP IT OFF. I have already discussed starting Feedings and Draining and Replinishing in this thread twice. It is simple enough, daily replace what you estimate is gone, consumed, eaten, and absorbed.

But weekly, you need to clear the buffet table and start all over with fresh foods. This gives the plant not only a well balanced buffet table to eat from, but also supplies it with FRESH Food that has not been altered by the plants being picky and choosey.

And, there is the Growth Spurt you will get during the Drain, as the roots get a 5 to 15 minutes air bath. It also gives you the opportunity to look for crimped air hoses, scrub the air stones clean and look for debris and trash in the tank that messes with the pH balance.

Let me say this was Authored and written by Roseman.

I like the part of clearing the buffet table each week and restocking with fresh foods. Sounds interesting although who knows if every week is the optimal time. I guess that variable would depend on many other variables. Anyways thought it might add some food for thought.
L8ER

Back
Top Bottom