LA's Auto Training!

Cheers cajun.
I keep sayin that I"m not expecting miracles; that doesn't mean I'm not hoping for some!!!!
Just gave her a good cuppa tea. She's nice and green, just no visible trichs and slow bud growth. Hoping it's got 4 weeks left at least!

These are just for curiosity if anyone is interested..

20150702_0935412.jpg

20150702_0935271.jpg

About a month ago during one of the violent defols, I broke off a couple of branches by mistake. (yeah, I know..) I know cloning autos is a waste of time but I wanted to see what happened..
Anyways, 1 went into a jar of water and died 2 weeks later.
This one went into coco/sand mix saturated with seaweed solution... Just now re-potted into coco/soil/perlite and gave a light feed so we'll see... It looks nute-starved and feels dry so I think it's on its way out; it also looks SLIGHTLY more developed even tho' it's only an inch tall, and smells slightly more 'danky' than its mum.
Funny things, plants... They really want to live just like all life forms; this particular strain is VERY hardy, even if I end up with f..-all smoke...

Quick edit to add: All this is a learning exercise for me.. Have a bit of experience with general gardening, and I am frankly astonished how easy MJ is to grow..relatively speaking, of course! Our summers are very hot and humid, so new challenges coming but am getting pretty confident just from this one auto... The KISS theory is the key for me here. I tend to over think EVERYTHING (a manifestation of my mild anxiety disorder), so have to force myself to slow down and not stress!! PPMs; pH levels, light PAR etc. etc.; I chose soil specifically to avoid all that! And now I'm glad..
I might not get the 2 oz I'm dreaming of (I'll be lucky to get 2 grams if she doesn't start bulking up soon!), but the over all health of this plant is so encouraging. This forum is awesome, some great growers here.
Shout out to LA, the Capn and Subcool (don't see these guys around now), gardenfaerie; BAR and... too many to list here on 420. Thanks!!
I troll all the major forums; this one is easily the best. Plus, I hardly ever read a 40-page shit-talking argument on 420 - I reckon that speaks volumes for the quality of the people here so well done!

re: LA's Auto Training!

Hi LA or BAR; If this thread is ending, I hope you don't mind this; I'm not sure where to ask general questions anymore cos I'm watching to so many threads!
Firstly: going off the poor photo I posted above do you think there is much to go on that plant? Looks really healthy but most pistils are look like they are dying, there is hardly any major trich growth yet, although they ARE growing..and new pistils are still growing, a lot in the lower buds..and new foliage is still being produced out of the top of the buds, and plenty of new leaves growing all over. This "60 day" auto is 9 nine weeks old and counting. Would cold, training and defol slow it down or just plain stunt it? I'd like to think it's REALLY slow, and in another 3-5 weeks, the buds will be HUGE! What is your opinion on this? Should I just pull the plug and get on with photo-strains ASAP?
Also, air! Do you use passive intake to small cabs? Mine will be approx 30 cubic feet, or around 750 cubic millimeters. The fans I am looking at are either Sunon 120mm, s'posed to be 200CFM but sound LOUD on youtube:
or a quiet 200mm toilet fan at around 270 CMH, or about 160CFM. I am thinking passive intakes at spots on the floor of the cab.
I guess I am asking can you have too much passive intake? I am thinking no. I would rather have lots of small ones to help with circulation; bring it in from all directions.
Trying not to over think (again), but want to get the box right first time to grow 2-4 plants, 4/6/10 OZ per grow is the goal. Area wise will be about 800mm long by 5/600mm deep by 1500mm high.
OR: can you recommend a small, QUIET fan..
Check this guy, Ottawagreen; this is the sort of setup I want but not as high: Building my new cabinet 7' tall by 6' wide by 2 feet deep hydroponic/led/light mover
Think I've seen him on your threads...very clever. Esp on the carbon filter!
He is just using a normal desk fan pointed up as extraction! So it can't be that hard... Hopefully!
Thanks for any help you can give . Hope it's cool to post that video..
Thanks again.

PS would've PMd but haven't got enough posts up!

Its all good and this thread will get updated some more :) ill answer tomoz though as today is my first day off work and its hot so I'm drinking etc but I will get back to ya!
Ill say this though some autos will indeed go way longer! I have one still going that has shot out new white hair all over and is way over time lol. Anyway ill get back in detail tomoz.

Oh and LA bought himself another 200 meters of plastic coated garden wire today. So proper training of all plants will resume :) :) BIG updates coming to all threads in next few days :)

Hahaha ur man in the vid when he turned the fan up to 12volts ''Ohh SHIT''' lol. If thats ur avrage P.C fan connected to that device to make it go faster, it will burn the ball berrings out faster and if its a cheap or badly made one it could cause a fire to.
Id like something like that to boost my P.C fans. what they called or where would u get one anyone know ?

Oh Shit!
Yeah, thought his desk was gonna catch fire with all the crap on it! That is a small concern to me...!

Nice work with ur autos la top work nice to see u busy as ever;) i love autos and im with u when u say pineapple express auto. Its my favourite so far and a great yielder of some beautiful buds and chocolate skunk auto i would recommend also beautiful bud great yielder and finished 60 days seed to finish;) Im getting another 2 pineapple express the big version ;)to grow after my current journel is finished;) and i got a week till chop on a choc skunk auto pics on my journel ;)keep up the good work happy growing every1 on 420 mag;)

Just a quick update... These taken last couple of days. That last defol 10 days ago
20150709_124326.jpg
20150709_124244.jpg
20150708_140527.jpg

PS that clone died...too much neglect. Gutted!

Trichs still not visible to naked eye but growing...seeing mushroom shapes now with crappy cheap jiggly microscope. Plenty of new pistils. Buds developing slowly. Week 10 on sunday.. Hoping for result in next couple weeks... Doubt it will get any taller.
Any opinions on ventilation guys?
All passive work ok in small box or an extraction fan needed..? Box will probably be only 1 plant size now (450mmx 450mm) as want to build a shed later in the year and will make room for a small grow room (about 1-1.5 m square)in that but for the time being, I have some seeds burning a hole in my pocket.. Need to get at least one going for practice before summer..
:volcano-smiley:

Trichs still not visible to naked eye but growing...seeing mushroom shapes now with crappy cheap jiggly microscope. Plenty of new pistils. Buds developing slowly. Week 10 on sunday.. Hoping for result in next couple weeks... Doubt it will get any taller.
Any opinions on ventilation guys?
All passive work ok in small box or an extraction fan needed..? Box will probably be only 1 plant size now (450mmx 450mm) as want to build a shed later in the year and will make room for a small grow room (about 1-1.5 m square)in that but for the time being, I have some seeds burning a hole in my pocket.. Need to get at least one going for practice before summer..
:volcano-smiley:

Hello sant
I looked up they info an it says about her being a fast 6 weeker,,I had a very very similar thing with an Automatic Diesel. I trained her for weeks and I hadn't read enough then ,, but now I think if you train autos make sure to leave them after the first few weeks ,, it will be interesting to see how she does The very best of luck :thumb:

happy skunk day to you my friend :goodjob:
The new light looks very sturdy ,,an the coverage is great considering as well you have it hnging to one side a bit more? Is there a reason for that or did you adjust it after:goodjob:
Happy daze bro:circle-of-love:

Thanks Jaga. Tryin to stay optimistic! She looks good at week 10 so playing the waiting game..!!

I guess the real question for me is how long do autos live? Under ideal conditions, what's the max time they stay alive? I'm assuming that it'll TRY to ripen the buds before it dies...I mean; it wants to live, right? If the sole reason for flowering in the first place is to collect pollen and reproduce, then surely the genetics will try and make that happen?
And if she dies before buds ripen I'll be gutted but at least I'll know why... Live and learn.

Plus, if anyone can help with ventilation info... Recommendations on small silent extraction fans to buy or can you go all passive if the box/room is small enough?
Cheers!

Coming in a little late but.. I'm Subbed! Growing autos also! Borrowing your techniques! Thanks for the great info! 420 on my friend!

Thanks Jaga. Tryin to stay optimistic! She looks good at week 10 so playing the waiting game..!!

I guess the real question for me is how long do autos live? Under ideal conditions, what's the max time they stay alive? I'm assuming that it'll TRY to ripen the buds before it dies...I mean; it wants to live, right? If the sole reason for flowering in the first place is to collect pollen and reproduce, then surely the genetics will try and make that happen?
And if she dies before buds ripen I'll be gutted but at least I'll know why... Live and learn.

Plus, if anyone can help with ventilation info... Recommendations on small silent extraction fans to buy or can you go all passive if the box/room is small enough?
Cheers!

Hey santb, take everything I say with a grain of salt as I am on my first grow. With that being said I'm using this formula: length x width x height = Cubic Feet. After you find your cubic feet, divide by 3 and you'll have your lowest required CFM (Cubic feet of air per minute) if that makes sense. :)

Hanging out to see which brand is best as I am looking for an inline fan also!

Cheers legal. Yeah my box will be small like maybe 10-15 cf so won't need a powerful fan, just a quiet one! Thinkin of goin LED so am now hoping that the fans built in to that might help a bit???
Eventually hope to end up in a room about 4x4ft with about 8ft height but that might be a while yet cos I have to build it in a shed that doesn't exist yet! Gotta build the shed too!!
Stealth is key here so need quiet fans...

PS jealous you don't have to worry about stealth! And I've been to CO - Boulder, Denver, Steamboat....beautiful part of the world that I'd love to live in...now even more so!!!!!!!!!

:drool:

Yea santb I love these snow capped mountains! I've only been a resident for 2 months now but enjoy thoroughly this 420 friendly atmosphere!

Quick update on mine...
Getting there! Starting to hope! Getting bulkier.... :)

20150714_132127.jpg
20150714_132348.jpg

HHey all :) Santb, looking good! :)

On your air circulation I'm not much help as all my spaces I just use passive intakes drawn by my fans. Also mine are not quiet lol. Ones a ruck inline and the other a dual flow by Black Orchid. The BO one is so powerful lol. I asked for a fan that I could split later down the line for 2 tents. It could probs do 4 tents my size on its low setting :)

As for life of an auto! This can be mest with :) research needs to be done but in the past I've had an auto that my pal started outside then pulled inside and got irregular light schedules. I then got it at about 6 weeks old and it went to nearly 4 months and gave me over 6 oz.
So light schedules can play a part in the life cycle, even when they're supposed to have a life span set! :)

Now some final thoughts :)

This was all a test as you know, now I'm happy to get going on part 2 soon. Firstly though some lessons learned!
Big pots straight off (obvious I know)
Topping early is a good thing with autos!
Training ability is strain dependant.
These Humboldt autos are still quite unstable, (as in many differing phenos)
Smoke is of good quality but yield was not there compared to photos!

This bunch only got nutes twice anyway lol. I ran just my reused soil with added guano and great white for the most part and did ok, just not the amounts I wanted as the soil was a little N heavy.

Would I grow the strains again if I wasn't already doing so in part 2 soon? YES! :)

Anyway part 2 is going and listed in my sig below. Were just running a wave of new un released autos from 710genetics, under a RAYSACE 4000! :) straight after were dropping the second wave of Humboldt and going training nuts and in detail :)

Some pics of the new autos mentioned above
DSC_032112.JPG
DSC_031419.JPG
DSC_029716.JPG

Back
Top Bottom