Magnifier recommendation

Tedmarx38

Friends,

Lots of threads out there on this but I’m not finding the answer.

While I initially had good success with my single lens 40x loupe (on the left), my eyesight changed and I can no longer determine when trichomes have ceased being clear with it.

The double lens one that’s also pictured has a 60x lens, but as many have found, the smaller size of the opening makes it difficult to use.

What I need is a 60x or larger lighted magnifier and I can’t find it. At least none that have few one star reviews outlining significant problems.

Also, many of the options in that power range involve connecting to laptops or smart phones and from what I’m seeing, they all have significant drawbacks unless you spend $60 or more which I’m trying to avoid.

Anyone have a specific reco on a product solution? I’ve gone through numerous articles and have searched Amazon extensively, but no luck. Thanks.

4C90B752-66FA-460B-8068-FC33D2987BF0.jpeg

Kind of a whatever works for you as some of us worse than others at seeing. I got a halfway decent camera and started putting the pics on my computer, and then zoom/magnify/blow up the picture until I can tell. As between my eyes and other body parts not working very well and too much pain to make it workable, I haven't been growing or needing to do that.

I purchased this unit last week. The holder that came with the unit is not functional. Impossible for me to hold steady and focus properly. I purchased the stand you see and it was a huge upgrade, making the unit functional for me. There is a learning curve and steady hands are a must. As you can see, mine are not very steady. Yet. Hopes this helps.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (43).png

IMG_20230208_152210643.jpg

2023_02_08_08_18_55_952.jpg

I purchased this unit last week. The holder that came with the unit is not functional. Impossible for me to hold steady and focus properly. I purchased the stand you see and it was a huge upgrade, making the unit functional for me. There is a learning curve and steady hands are a must. As you can see, mine are not very steady. Yet. Hopes this helps.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (43).png

works great i have one as well.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (43).png

Lest anyone thinks recos on here mean nothing, I just bought the scope and the stand. Appreciate the tip. Great thing about Amazon is the hassle free returns I’d this doesn’t work for me.

I have the Celstron, but don't use it for everyday trichome checking. I use it more for looking at disease and bugs, or for the occasional beauty shots... "the realm of the trichomes".

For trichome ripeness check I use a Carson MicroBrite Plus hand-held microscope w/ built-in LED light. About $15 on Amazon. With some practice, you can get used to holding it at the plant to get a quick view of the trichs. Or, you can snip off a bit of bud and take it over to a table to get a more steady look. If you go this route lemme know and I can give some more tips.

Friends,

Lots of threads out there on this but I’m not finding the answer.

While I initially had good success with my single lens 40x loupe (on the left), my eyesight changed and I can no longer determine when trichomes have ceased being clear with it.

The double lens one that’s also pictured has a 60x lens, but as many have found, the smaller size of the opening makes it difficult to use.

What I need is a 60x or larger lighted magnifier and I can’t find it. At least none that have few one star reviews outlining significant problems.

Also, many of the options in that power range involve connecting to laptops or smart phones and from what I’m seeing, they all have significant drawbacks unless you spend $60 or more which I’m trying to avoid.

Anyone have a specific reco on a product solution? I’ve gone through numerous articles and have searched Amazon extensively, but no luck. Thanks.

4C90B752-66FA-460B-8068-FC33D2987BF0.jpeg
@Tedmarx38 I don't know if U have a smart phone or not (didn't see it mentioned in your post). I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. One of the cameras is used for macro photography and it works great for just this sort of thing. I can then look at the pics on a large screen desktop computer in my home and really zoom-in to see trichomes, bugs or whatever. Also, there's a feature called magnifier that shows magnified images on the screen without taking a pic.

These 2 features work for me so well that I have no need to buy anything else. I'm NOT saying that anyone should buy a new iPhone just for this reason, at all. It's a phone that I already have and I use these features for determining when to harvest my buds.

Hope this helps

@Tedmarx38 I don't know if U have a smart phone or not (didn't see it mentioned in your post). I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. One of the cameras is used for macro photography and it works great for just this sort of thing. I can then look at the pics on a large screen desktop computer in my home and really zoom-in to see trichomes, bugs or whatever. Also, there's a feature called magnifier that shows magnified images on the screen without taking a pic.

These 2 features work for me so well that I have no need to buy anything else. I'm NOT saying that anyone should buy a new iPhone just for this reason, at all. It's a phone that I already have and I use these features for determining when to harvest my buds.

Hope this helps
Me too... I have a $250 android phone with a bad ass macro lens.

Thanks. I have an iPhone 12 and have tried the various magnification tricks. Unfortunately, the trichomes always look milky because of diminished quality, and I therefore can’t distinguish between true color vs clear. I’m firing up my new microscope today.

Back
Top Bottom