Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

I'll divulge my ulterior motives with this grow. It is primarily medical for me. I've been struggling with severe back pain from an injury caused 18 years ago. Over the years, my back has deteriorated, and over the years the drugs they've given me have gone up in strength. I'm now on 200 mcg/hr of Fentanyl every 2 days in patch form. This is twice the normal dosage. And it's not because I'm addicted and have asked for stronger doses because of an addiction. My dosage has creeped up to deal with the debilitating pain. I also have a prescription for Tylenol 4s, a huge bottle which is refilled every month. I use it for breakout pain, which happens a lot, even with the high dosage of Fentanyl.

I also suffer from a debilitating anxiety disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which causes incredible amounts of anxiety to waft over me for no reason at all. I can just be sitting there, and then suddenly I can barely breath I'm so terrified. I have to crawl under the windows because I'm so afraid of anyone seeing me from outside. I cannot answer the phone because I'm so scared. I cannot open emails because I'm so terrified. All because of anxiety. So for that they give me a hefty dosage of a new antipsychotic which I don't even know the name of right now. And 4 mg of Ativan a day for that.

Then there's the bloody sleeping meds that I've been on. The current one leaves me feeling so damned dead in the morning that I cannot even function.

And on weed? The back pain is manageable. The anxiety is manageable (as long as I don't get a strain that causes extra anxiety!!!). And I sleep like a baby. No dead feeling in the morning.

I've finally convinced one of my doctors (the doctor from the pain clinic) to let me try weed to manage the back pain. My first appointment with the "drug doctor" (as I term him) is 25 Jan 17. He'll give me the paper that will allow me to purchase weed from the dispensary. Problem is, with all these disorders and pain problems and sleeping disorders, I've been unable to work for years, and I live on government disability. Which doesn't give you much money to buy weed -- even from the dispensaries.

Hence, my grow.

I started this grow illegally. I don't yet have permission from the government to grow my own weed, but I've got the application already filled out. As soon as I go to the doctor on the 25th, I'll be sending in my application. There should be no reason not to allow me to grow pot legally. I have no prior convictions. I'm squeaky clean, as it were.

In Canada, the amount of weed you are allowed to grow indoors depends upon how much you have been prescribed to use on a daily basis. In other words, if I get prescribed 1 gram per day, then I'll be allowed to grow 5 plants indoors (or 2 outdoors). With a prescription for 2 grams per day, you are allowed to grow 10 plants indoors (4 outdoors). Get the pattern? I expect I'll be given a prescription for about 3 grams per day. I don't think more.

So there you have it. My own private Idaho. Or my own private nightmare. Trying to gather the money to grow indoors has been a real hurdle for my wife and I. Like I said, we have very little money (less than $2000 per month between us), so gathering the supplies, the materials, the nutrients, etc has been a real struggle.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. Maybe because I just feel the need to come clean, as it were. Maybe it's just a need to be honest about where I'm coming from. For sure, you can bet that it's not an attempt to make you feel sorry for me(us). I'm just not like that.

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

I'll divulge my ulterior motives with this grow. It is primarily medical for me. I've been struggling with severe back pain from an injury caused 18 years ago. Over the years, my back has deteriorated, and over the years the drugs they've given me have gone up in strength. I'm now on 200 mcg/hr of Fentanyl every 2 days in patch form. This is twice the normal dosage. And it's not because I'm addicted and have asked for stronger doses because of an addiction. My dosage has creeped up to deal with the debilitating pain. I also have a prescription for Tylenol 4s, a huge bottle which is refilled every month. I use it for breakout pain, which happens a lot, even with the high dosage of Fentanyl.

I also suffer from a debilitating anxiety disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which causes incredible amounts of anxiety to waft over me for no reason at all. I can just be sitting there, and then suddenly I can barely breath I'm so terrified. I have to crawl under the windows because I'm so afraid of anyone seeing me from outside. I cannot answer the phone because I'm so scared. I cannot open emails because I'm so terrified. All because of anxiety. So for that they give me a hefty dosage of a new antipsychotic which I don't even know the name of right now. And 4 mg of Ativan a day for that.

Then there's the bloody sleeping meds that I've been on. The current one leaves me feeling so damned dead in the morning that I cannot even function.

And on weed? The back pain is manageable. The anxiety is manageable (as long as I don't get a strain that causes extra anxiety!!!). And I sleep like a baby. No dead feeling in the morning.

I've finally convinced one of my doctors (the doctor from the pain clinic) to let me try weed to manage the back pain. My first appointment with the "drug doctor" (as I term him) is 25 Jan 17. He'll give me the paper that will allow me to purchase weed from the dispensary. Problem is, with all these disorders and pain problems and sleeping disorders, I've been unable to work for years, and I live on government disability. Which doesn't give you much money to buy weed -- even from the dispensaries.

Hence, my grow.

I started this grow illegally. I don't yet have permission from the government to grow my own weed, but I've got the application already filled out. As soon as I go to the doctor on the 25th, I'll be sending in my application. There should be no reason not to allow me to grow pot legally. I have no prior convictions. I'm squeaky clean, as it were.

In Canada, the amount of weed you are allowed to grow indoors depends upon how much you have been prescribed to use on a daily basis. In other words, if I get prescribed 1 gram per day, then I'll be allowed to grow 5 plants indoors (or 2 outdoors). With a prescription for 2 grams per day, you are allowed to grow 10 plants indoors (4 outdoors). Get the pattern? I expect I'll be given a prescription for about 3 grams per day. I don't think more.

So there you have it. My own private Idaho. Or my own private nightmare. Trying to gather the money to grow indoors has been a real hurdle for my wife and I. Like I said, we have very little money (less than $2000 per month between us), so gathering the supplies, the materials, the nutrients, etc has been a real struggle.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. Maybe because I just feel the need to come clean, as it were. Maybe it's just a need to be honest about where I'm coming from. For sure, you can bet that it's not an attempt to make you feel sorry for me(us). I'm just not like that.

Wow that is a very powerful story and am very glad you shared that with all of us. The power of marijuana when used as medicine to counter all of these "prescriptions" is amazing and can really completely cure you of using any form of synthetic drug.

I also deal with anxiety, I had a period of 6 months where I felt the same way you did and had no idea why. Once I found the strain that worked for me, I knew that was it and ended up signing up with the acmpr program as well. I am legally allowed 20 plants 4g/day.

If I were you, when speaking with the doctor - tell them that you will be using your medicine in the form of edibles and will need to use a lot of product. This way they can give you a higher gram/day limit which will in turn help you with your pain. If you describe your story to the doc the way you wrote it out, I could see him prescribing you 6+, a friend of mine has 8. this will just allow you flexibility in getting the amount that will hopefully help you sustain till the next grow is done.

good luck on your journey, I will be here with ya to help along the way! soon you can ditch those pills and actually start to enjoy life again with cannabis

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks so much for the write up. It's good to have support. Sorry to hear about your own anxiety. I know how bad it feels. I feel so scared and terrified almost all the time. Though I'm going to see the doctor at the pain clinic, I'm going to try to impress upon him the various different needs I have for it. Thanks for the advice about the edibles. I was wanting to take a lot of my cannabis via edibles, anyway. I didn't know that they'd write a higher prescription for edibles, but it makes sense. I was going to try making a lot of oil and use it religiously. Right now is the waiting game. Will they give it to me? Won't they? How much if they do? And I cannot imagine paying the dispensary prices for my medicine. It's like paying street prices! There's no other way to do it for me except to grow it, so I've got to become a master grower as soon as I can!:smokin:

I'm sooooo looking forward to getting on the cannabis instead of the Fentanyl, the Ativan, the antipsychotic, the sleeping meds, etc etc etc. I'm so looking forward to that.

The wife-bot, who still has some reservations about me using cannabis on a daily basis, has more reservations about me using it all day long. But I don't. I'm the one who has to live with the pain and the anxiety and all the other shit that my body throws my way. If I want to use cannabis all day long to control these issues, what's the difference than slapping a Fentanyl patch on me and using that all day long? Or dosing with Ativan every time I feel scared and anxious? What's the difference between me going to the bathroom for an Ativan or going to my office for a puff or two? Well, the cannabis works quicker, that's for sure. That's one difference. hahaha

Thanks again for the support. Nice to know there's another one following this grow who understands the medical side of cannabis dosing.

I found that the fan was cooling down the air in my closet too much, so I shut it off. Then I watched a video on growing in coco (specifically about watering in coco) that seemed to make a lot of sense, so I watered my plants even though others would have said not to yet. And... I cannot believe the difference in them in just the last couple of hours! They've grown so much, and I'm not imagining it, either. I think I'm going to stick with this coco grower's watering regime for the next couple of days and see what happens.

I caught the video of this coco waterer on PE636's grow journal at the beginning of his journal. It was really enlightening. Talked about how growing in coco is more like growing in hydro than in soil, and you have to think of watering in the same way. He had the beautiful, lush, green foliage to prove that his theories work out in practice, let me tell you. So for anyone growing in coco who hasn't seen this video, you should take a look-see.

I found that the fan was cooling down the air in my closet too much, so I shut it off. Then I watched a video on growing in coco (specifically about watering in coco) that seemed to make a lot of sense, so I watered my plants even though others would have said not to yet. And... I cannot believe the difference in them in just the last couple of hours! They've grown so much, and I'm not imagining it, either. I think I'm going to stick with this coco grower's watering regime for the next couple of days and see what happens.

I caught the video of this coco waterer on PE636's grow journal at the beginning of his journal. It was really enlightening. Talked about how growing in coco is more like growing in hydro than in soil, and you have to think of watering in the same way. He had the beautiful, lush, green foliage to prove that his theories work out in practice, let me tell you. So for anyone growing in coco who hasn't seen this video, you should take a look-see.

Yes growing with coco coir is exactly like hydro. The ph range is 5.8 for coco/hydro and soil is 6.5ph. Soil you only water to run off and don't water again until soil is dry 1" inch down. With soil you water / feed / water / feed.. with coco you never want to let the top dry out and you want to always be feeding them nutes. Never straight water. I feed them 3 times a day right now in flower and will be going up to 4 times next week. During veg I was feeding twice a day, it holds water pretty well so you won't feed as much as using hydroton which would be like 6 times a day feeding. Just remember to always feed with nutes, coco holds zero nutrients in the substrate so your going to want to always make sure it is available to the plants.

I do flood and drain so I hook up a water pump from my res and it's set on a timer to flood my tray table, then it drains back into the res. this way I can automate the process allowing for me to feed multiple times a day without me even having to be home. The more you feed coco the more it will reward you!

Thanks, Kush -- again!

You're a real asset to teaching me how to grow.

Everyone on here is!

I don't have the kind of setup you do (flush and drain), but I'm home most days since I don't work and live in the friggin' stixx far away from everywhere (Alberta farmland, about 45 minutes from Vegreville, if you know where that is, but I doubt it). But I CAN catch the runoff from my feedings and pour it back into my jug of water/nutes so that I'm not wasting all my food. That will help a lot, since when I explained how I needed to water my plants to the wife-bot, she got this terrified look on her face and said, "That's going to cost a fortune to do it that way." Yes, money is an issue around the Jorgensen household... Ah, well. Such is life.

Only 18 more days until my appointment with my drug pusher (that's just one of the names I've got for the doctor I'm going to be seeing who will put me on marijuana). I also call him my dealer and my drug doctor. And I am so looking forward to it you cannot imagine. He'll be the one to wean me off the Fentanyl -- a process I'm not looking forward to.

Tell me, Kush, what is that strain you were talking about that worked so well for your anxiety? I'm looking around to my next grow (will have to save the money for the seeds soon) and want to get some suggestions as to what will work for anxiety really well. I'm growing the Big Bud because of its propensity to help ease excruciating back pain. Supposedly it helps with spinal cord injuries, according to Leafly.com. I'm growing the Pineapple Express because of its ability to help with depression. Big Bud is supposed to help with anxiety, too, but apparently it puts you to sleep within about 15 minutes. I have a book to work on right now. I cannot be sleeping through my days. I have only 6 months to edit my manuscript and I've already signed a contract saying I'll do it in that time. Won't be able to if I'm sleeping all day long! So I've got to find something for pain that also helps with anxiety but doesn't put me to sleep as one of its major side effects. Get my drift?

So if you could let me know what has helped you with your anxiety so much, I can research it to see how it helps with back pain. I know the indicas are the ones that supposedly help with pain the most, and likewise, they tend to be sedatives. But in my experience, sativas can help with back pain equally well, depending upon the strain. I just need to be somewhat clearheaded too while I'm on them, too.

Medicating with cannabis, when you've got multiple ailments, is just as harrowing as medicating with prescriptions, methinks!

So, hope you're having a great Saturday night. Looking forward to your reply.

Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

I found that Pineapple Express is great for anxiety and it keeps me energetic throughout the day. It is a sativa, with those you need to make sure you have enough head room because they will stretch to 3 times the size of their veg size.

Sativa Anxiety strains:
Pineapple Express
G13 (crossed with Pineapple Express) good mood booster, little bit euphoric
jack herer - great daytime smoke keeps me super relaxed
Strawberry cough - great high, clear and focused but very happy and giggly

Hybrid anxiety strains:
Girl Scout cookies - Great blend of old school strain and new school, good yielder and great for both pain and anxiety
cannatonic - really good medicinal strain for both pain and anxiety as well
White widow x Girl Scout cookies (would be great for pain and anxiety. I have a huge mother plant ready for next grow to produce clones that is white cookies, I got the seeds from cropkingseeds)

Indica pain relief strains:
Pink kush - my favourite for both pain, anxiety and insomnia - but pain relief is most prevalent, slightly sleepy
purple kush - yields large and is great for both pain and anxiety, insomnia
Master kush - both pain and anxiety relief, don't get too sleepy on it

Here are a couple pics of my mother (white widow x Girl Scout cookies). I grew it from seed in a 1 inch rockwool. Transplanted to 6" rockwool and then into a 5 gallon coco geopot. Her roots are coming out of the bottom and her body is absolutely rock solid. I LST'd, topped and supercropped her. Can't wait to take clones from her and grow a new strain for next time.

420-magazine-mobile1321709311.jpg

420-magazine-mobile365732050.jpg

420-magazine-mobile454824036.jpg

She's just flexing here
420-magazine-mobile1420401463.jpg

your ph should be on the bottles and if you mix your amendments to the water it lowers your ph already, i reccomend a good ph meter you can get some cheap ones that are good:slide:
btw love your way of writing are you a journalist of somekind???
sorry for my english i'm european sooooo i'm doing effort here....:rofl:
:party:

try chewing some black pepper corns for your anxiety:goodluck:

According to a scientific review published by Ethan Russo in the British Journal of Pharmacology, cannabis and pepper have very similar chemical traits; pepper has a “phytocannabinoid-terpenoid effect,” which is known to help with pain, depression, addiction, and anxiety. Combining the terpenoids (such as beta-caryophyllene) in pepper with the tetrahydrocannabinol in cannabis has a synergistic chemical reaction on the cannabinoid receptors in the brain.
In layman’s terms, they both bind to the same receptors in the brain and, when combined, have a therapeutic, calming effect.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, it has recently come to our attention that, if you're looking to lengthen your high while consuming cannabis, just eat a mango! While this idea stems more from urban legend than from scientific studies, there are legitimate factors to back up this somewhat dubious claim.
Cannabis, as you know, is chock full of terpenes, in particular the myrcene terpene, secreted from the same glands that produce cannabinoids. Mangoes are naturally high in myrcene, and myrcene is highly synergistic with the THC found in cannabis. Myrcene is also responsible for the notorious "couch-lock effect" that indicas are famous for, so it goes to reason that if one were to consume mango long enough to absorb some of those myrcenes into their system (about 90 minutes) before consuming cannabis, that it may, in fact, lengthen and strengthen the effect and duration of the high.

Hey... Thank you so very much for the info, Kush. I'll use it appropriately. Thanks again. And these are some beautiful babies, let me tell you. But I don't need to, do I?

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

So, here are my demented little girls this morning, after their watering and feeding. Looking nice, no?

DSC_9202.jpg

DSC_9197.jpg
DSC_92001.jpg
DSC_9196.jpg
DSC_9199.jpg
DSC_9195.jpg
DSC_9198.jpg
DSC_9194.jpg

I've been working with this watering/feeding regime that I learned about in that video I wrote about yesterday. If I get the wherewithal, I'll upload it here today. It's about how to water when you're planting in coco, which is ultimately different than soil. The video made a lot of sense to me and I believe in it wholeheartedly -- that is, until it kills my plants! But I don't think it will. They seemed to really perk up after yesterday's watering/feeding and grew an incredible amount since yesterday morning. And since I've been worried about how much they are growing, this was a boon to my altered ego.

No, veinz, I am not a journalist. I am a fiction writer. I have a book coming out on 14 Nov 2017 (think I got the date right) called, Finding Max, under my real name, Darren Jorgensen. If you're still following whatever journal I'm working on then, I'll surely let you know when it hits the bookshelves, and the virtual bookshelves, too. Thanks for loving the writing, though. I truly appreciate that. And thanks, too, for the advice about the peppercorns and the mangos. Unfortunately, mangos are out of my food budget, though I love them so. Just cannot afford to be buying mangos. But peppercorns probably aren't! Though, if I had my pic of the two, i'd choose the mangos over the peppercorns any day. Must the peppercorns be chewed? Or can they be swallowed whole? I'm not sure my stomach could take them either way, though...

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

Got yer wish, Rideouts!

I just noticed that some of the pics make it look like there's something wonky going on with the ends of the leaves. That's just the pics. There's nothing wrong with the leaves of my DLGs!

Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

Your seedlings look great, the main difference between seeds and clones is that seeds will take longer to grow. That huge mother plant I showed you grew from seed. It took about a month and a bit to get into a "veg" state. But once it has established 4-5 finger leaves especially in coco and led lighting, the plants growth will increase dramatically. The seedling stage is the hardest/longest part to deal with in my opinion.

this is why I have a seperate 3x2x3 tent for a mother plant that I can take clones from so when I'm ready to start another harvest I just cut my clones and away I go.

Ultimately the goal is to have my clones established and ready to transplant to final containers once the other harvest is done. So I would start my clones maybe a month or a few weeks before my flowering period was over. That way there is no down time between harvests. Just a perpetual cycle!

So my suggestion is if you're sticking with seeds, make sure to start growing them way before you harvest. You can take a clone off any of your current seedlings once they are in veg. The strongest/healthiest plant should have the clone taken from her. You can start a mother plant with that. And this way will also help you from having to purchase seeds every time, keeps the budget down. Initial investment might be a bit but it pays off!

You may not need a tent, just some fluorescent lighting and a good little space. This mother is already getting too big for me so I think I might flower her next go and just snip off a couple clones from her and start a fresh mother in a smaller pot, didn't realize how fast she would grow! Haha

420-magazine-mobile1084411394.jpg

Oh and a quick little tip that will help strengthen your seedlings. Everyday you're in the room, take your index finger and lightly tap the leaves back and forth. This will help strengthen your stalk, it really does help. It simulates wind stronger wind or when an animal would be around it agitating. just a few minutes a day and you will see a difference.

Hey Kush, I'll tell you what I was thinking of after first telling you how beautiful your mother is. Wow! What a nice looking plant! And I love that you apparently keep her sitting in your living room between a chair and some curtains. Nice. Great conversation starter when you bring a new gurl back home for the evening... (Don't know if you're married or not, or if you're gay, or what). Hey, whereabouts do you live, btw? I'm assuming Canada, but I don't think I know whereabouts. Not that it matters, but it would be cool if you were anywhere near me. I'm in mid-Alberta, in the heart of farmland. Makes for no prying eyes, except I rent the trailer I live in with my wife-bot.

I'm hoping to set up this situation:

Right now my plants are in a closet. Got the mylar for it, but forgot to pick up the staples for the staple gun. Damn. Doing that on Monday. On Monday or Tuesday my 5x5x6.5 tent will arrive. I'll move my plants into there for the rest of their grow. Then later I'll take clones and house them in the closet for their veg time. During that time, I'll have my other plants doing their blooming. This will become my perpetual grow situation. Two grow spaces, plus a spot on my desk where my clones will first root for about 2 weeks under fluorescent lighting.

This is the plan, anyway. I'll have to wait to build up to this because I'll need to buy another light for the veg closet, two inline fans and one carbon filter for blooming tent. I'll be setting up a scrog during my flowering stage, but won't be able to do it during the veg time. But I'll do a bunch of lst and topping during the veg stage.

Does that sound like it'll work out? I think it will. I was planning on taking my clones during the flowering stage. I know, I know. Everyone says not to do it, but I've seen a study that says you can and more importantly, that you should because your plants will become much more bushy during their veg stage if you take the clones during the flowering cycle. Can't remember where I saw the info on this because I've seen so much damned info on growing it's not even funny

My dog has just come into my office with her "squeaky-pig" that she loves so much. She squeaks that damned thing everywhere around the house. It would drive me nuts if I didn't love her so much and if she didn't get so much pleasure out of squeaking it! I'll post a pic of her and the other dog later today if I get the gumption!

Anyway, this method of taking clones off the flowering plant is right up my alley. I want to grow big, bushy plants with tons of colas for tons of weed. That's my goal. Exactly that. And with tons of colas, you have tons of weed. And with tons of weed, you might have a bit left over to do, oh, I don't know what with. I sure could use some extra cash though, with my income so low. Kinda scary to think like that, but it's the truth. Anyway, whatever I do with it, the extra weed would be wonderful to have, even if I only got it to friends of mine. Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying this method of regenerating my weed supply.

So, what do you think?

Hahaha that is actually my "man cave" room in our house. The wife doesn't really go in there unless I'm showing off the plants .. it's like my office/gaming/tventertainment grow space haha.

I'm in Vancity BC the gloryland of cannabis! it sounds like you got everything under control. Just keep reading and researching, I sometimes read the same articles over and over just to hammer the info into my brain.

The plan you have with your clones is called monstercropping. it is a semi advanced technique. I've never tried it but read it is a little bit more difficult getting the clones rooted, so I would definitely take a lot more clones than you need. Also the veg time for re-vegging plants is about a month before they return to the veg state. In the mean time the leaves deform and look very weird during the transition but eventually return back to normal.

I'm also very curious and interested in trying this method so I may give it a go when I start my clones in a couple weeks.

It's all about trial and error and finding what works best for you and your setup. I'm trying new things each grow and just learning so much, it has only been a year I've been growing with 4 total crops.

I think this flood and drain method is what I will be sticking to. Just now trying to figure out how many plants and what size pots I want to do. I would already do a couple of things different to my next grow if I kept the same 20 plant amount

Hey Kush -- is that a fluorescent light you're using on your mother? I can't imagine using anything stronger in that small space. I like your idea of the small tent or another small grow space for a mother. I just have to find the right strain for my use. I'm not too impressed with so many of the strains that they sell at the dispensaries, mind you. I'd be more willing to try some of the strains you've suggested.

I enjoy brain berry cough for my daytime stuff ( broke my neck in 2011, add that to ADHD, depression and anxiety ) that lovely lady makes my days so much better. At night, I have yet to find a good indica that just puts me out unfornetly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom