Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Beautiful shot of some beautiful plants, Rideouts! Thanks for the explanation and the pic showing it (and showing them off)! That is very similar to how I envision my work on training my plants before the scrog goes into place.

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Hello Magnus from fellow coco coir grower. Will be watching :thumb:

Welcome Omega Man! Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to any advice you have. I'm here to learn, not to show off.

Well, time to update.

Here's the pics of my Demented Little Girls.

DSC_9188.JPG
DSC_9189.JPG

These first two pics are of the same plant. Wasn't sure if I got the first one in focus or not (I'm not using a cell phone. I use a Nikon D7000 camera with a 35 - 70 mm lens, so the focus is sometimes off because I'm not that great at pulling focus). Anyway, at least one of them should be in focus! This is one of my Pineapple Express (I think). The next one is, too.

DSC_91901.JPG

This is my other Pineapple Express (I think).

DSC_9191.JPG
DSC_9192.JPG

These last two are my Big Bud (I think - remember where I mixed them up? lol)

And this last photo I took to show how far my light is from my DLGs. 18 inches. I think it must be okay. No signs of anything being wrong with the grow, except I'm wondering if they should have grown more by this time (12 days).

DSC_9193.JPG

I'm feeding them according to the FloraGro, FloraMicro and FloraBloom directions, will be adding CaMg on day 14.

So what do you all think? Are they a bit stunted? Or are they doing fine?

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

Hey Magnus I'll follow along your first grow and help ya out anyway that I can. I am also a coco grower currently doing a sea of green scrog journal. I used LST, topping, and netting for my grow. Currently going into week 5 of flower, have a look through that journal as it seems like a lot of what your trying to do is the same as me.

The journal is callled:
Death bubba - flood and drain 2x4 setup

good luck and looking forward to seeing updates!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nice Journal! Wow, some beautiful plants in there. Looks like a nice harvest on the way, too. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Can one of you coco growers tell me what the ph of my water should be for my demented little girls? I'm reading conflicting views on this, and would like a definitive answer based on experience you all have...

I adjust mine to between 6.3 and 5.7. My runoff is always about 2 points lower than what I put in. If you make it in advance you will probably want to check it each time you water as the ph will tend to creep up (usually up I think depending on what kind of water you are using) .. You on city water or a well?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

Can one of you coco growers tell me what the ph of my water should be for my demented little girls? I'm reading conflicting views on this, and would like a definitive answer based on experience you all have...

You want to keep your PH between 5.6-6.0 - I keep mine at 5.8 for the entire grow. Do you have a PPM meter? You will also need to know how much nutes your giving them

If you are using tap water it's good to have the water sit for a day to let all the chlorine out. And If you are using a reservoir then you need to check the ppms every day or 2 to maintain proper ph as they tend to rise, especially if using air stones to oxygenate the water (ie. DWC, RDWC)

No access to city water and our well is beyond use. So I'm using the water you buy from the dispenser at WalMart. I guess that would be treated city water, if I had to say what it was...

I don't have a ppm meter, but I have a ph meter coming (taking forever through Amazon. Might be here by Monday.) I didn't know I'd need a ppm meter. Don't even know what it does, except measure parts per million (?). But I have no idea what parts it is even reading, or why I'd want to know that.

No access to city water and our well is beyond use. So I'm using the water you buy from the dispenser at WalMart. I guess that would be treated city water, if I had to say what it was...

That would be RO (reverse osmosis) which is completely neutral, one thing you absolutely need to have is - Cal/Mag supplement. When using coco coir it is a must.

I'm in for the ride
-saint

I have the Cal/Mag sitting on a shelf waiting for day 14, as I was told to do by a grower I trust. So I'm just waiting on adding that to the mix.

So with reverse osmosis water, if it is completely neutral, I need to be adjusting it with my PH Down to get to between 5.6 and 6.0? Is that correct? I'm assuming that neutral means 7.0 on the Ph scale.

Hey thanks for stopping by my journal! Mine were probably a bit bigger by 12 days. I found they sped up when kept nice and warm, especially the coco as it was pretty cool just from evaporation from the fan blowing on it. Sorry I forgot if you had a heating mat under them? I also found watering less but more often helped when they were starting out. I used a little 5ml syringe and just watered a circle about 2 inches diameter around the stalk for the first while . I'd then let it get fairly dry but not bone dry and hit it again. I wasn't really soaking the whole pot til they had a few sets of leaves. All that being said yours are looking healthy enough, and I too found the seedling stage painful slow but that will change soon enough!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

they are alive! so let them live! patients pays in these things. while we are waiting...you know lol. I have seen a few cases when seedlings get "nute stress" or over watering and they turn out beautifully! most dewarf themselves but in most cases they will fill out the environment they live in. just my ramble. hang in there! people will come you will see! them babies will burst soon!

Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

I don't have a ppm meter, but I have a ph meter coming (taking forever through Amazon. Might be here by Monday.) I didn't know I'd need a ppm meter. Don't even know what it does, except measure parts per million (?). But I have no idea what parts it is even reading, or why I'd want to know that.

Order a cheap ppm meter from amazon just make sure it has good reviews. I got one for $15 - it measures the amount of dissolved nutrients in your water. You need to know the amount so that you can keep track and make sure you are feeding what the plant needs during the cycle of the grow.

Here's a quick example:

Seed to seedling stage: only water

Seedling/clone - serrated leaves established and tap root showing: 100-200ppm

Transition to seedling to veg: 200-400ppm

Early veg: 500-600ppm

Mid-end of veg: 600-1000ppm

Early flower: 1000-1200ppm

Mid-end of flower: 1400-1600ppm

All strain dependent, each plant will handle nutrients differently. But you want to make sure you are feeding them enough. Once you start adding cal mag, grow and bloom nutes plus boosters and other things, the PPM levels can become too high. You don't want to stress your plant, you just want to make sure the leaf tips aren't burning and no sign of deficiencies.

Depending on conditions, growers go up to 2000ppm in some cases, it all varies but there is a general guideline

I AM letting my water sit for a day or two. I pour it in the jug and keep the lid off until I use it. I'm hoping that takes care of the chlorine. Oh, and I shake it up every once in a while, too.

I have the Cal/Mag sitting on a shelf waiting for day 14, as I was told to do by a grower I trust. So I'm just waiting on adding that to the mix.

So with reverse osmosis water, if it is completely neutral, I need to be adjusting it with my PH Down to get to between 5.6 and 6.0? Is that correct? I'm assuming that neutral means 7.0 on the Ph scale.

Yup that's right. Use PH up or down when needed, the happy spot for coco is 5.6-6.0 but I found 5.8 is just right.

Yes for your seeds you will not need nutes for first 2 weeks. Once you start adding light feeding, you add calmag in with that

Thanks, Kush! That's a ton of great info, and I really really appreciate your taking the time to write it out for me. I'll order one next week.

And Saint420 -- welcome aboard! Whew. When I was first starting this journal it seemed like there'd be no one along on the ride. Now there's so many helpful peeps that I'm overjoyed. Seriously. Yeah, I know I'm effusive. But I do mean it.

And hey, PufPufPas -- how's about passing that along to me? Been out for months. Can't wait for this grow to happen... Maybe that's why I'm so worried that my babies aren't doing well. I'm so afraid of killing them. Got too many hopes riding on them. Need this for my back. Need this for my anxiety. Need this for my insomnia. Need this just cuz I want this!

One last thing for now is make sure u calibrate your ph pen every week to get proper readings. I actually calibrate every time I feed cuz I'm OCD lol. PH 4.0 and PH 7.0, takes only a minute or two to do it but it will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

The PPM reader comes calibrated and doesn't need to be calibrated at all after using it.

I would recommend fetting a KaCl storage solution, you just put a few drops in your pen lid and that will actually keep your pen calibrated much longer

Back
Top Bottom