Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Get rid of the vase things
The rest looks ok and repot in a week or 2

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Wow! Welcome everyone. When it rains, it pours. I've been going along thinking that no one would ever show up, and I'm thrilled to have you along for the ride. Glad to see you made it, veinz!

And Rideouts, hello to Southern Ontario. Whereabouts in Southern Ontario you at? I spent some years in Toronto and one year in Stratford, then moved to the states for a lot of years. When I came back I landed in Toronto for a few months before meeting my gurl and moving to the Sault to be with her. We spent a number of years there before moving to Alberta. Now I'm stuck in middle of nowheresville, 2 hours from the nearest city of any worth, living 10 km out from the nearest town of 1,400 pax. Not my idea of living the big life, that's for sure. Wound up here through a series of unfortunate events and am stuck because of finances. But hopefully that'll change soon enough. I have a new book coming out 14 Nov 17, and hopefully sales from that will help out the finances somewhat.

But I digress. As I tend to do. A lot! hahaha

I've been working with the vases as though they are the top to a humidity dome. I thought I was supposed to leave their humidity dome on until they were about 7 inches tall, or about 14 - 21 days old. Am I misinformed? During the days, I've had a fan going all the time which circulates the air somewhat in there, much like leaving the top of a humidity dome opened. I think my mistake has been to turn off the fan at night. That's when the humidity gets high in there, evidenced by the seeping on the edges of the vases. But when the fan is going, there's no amount of seeping inside them at all. Also, I've been removing the vases for 1/2 the day so that my demented little girls get big and strong, muscular stalks to support all the humongous buds that they'll grow for me soon enough. So if I'm working with the domes like that, and leaving the fan on overnight, should I still get rid of them? Not trying to question your sage advice, but not sure if I explained thoroughly earlier how I was using them. It was only the first two nights that I left the fan off and had the humidity problem.

Given that, how long do we usually leave them in their humidity dome?

But I fully agree with you that they'll need repotting soon. I've got the extra coco and perlite here already. A HUGE bag of perlite arrived from Amazon the other day! I have no idea how I'll ever get through it all. (Yes I do -- grow more and more and more pot!)

And it's funny what you say, Southern Ontario Boy (Rideouts - I'm assuming you're male, though I have no reason to assume this!), about watching them grow. You Freakin' PEGGED me! I'm only beginning to let them rest in their safe cupboard without opening the doors and checking on them. In the beginning, you could see so much evolution those first few days that it was fun to watch. Now it's becoming a little more ho-hum in the growth department. But I do still love getting up and seeing all the overnight growth and the changes since the day before. And thanks for the nice words about mixing up my plants. I guarantee YOU it'll be the last time I do it, too!

So, signing off. My busy morning was because I had my first telephone meeting with my new editor at my new publishers. We were discussing timelines and marketing and such for the book. It was a great meeting and thrilled to be working with her, but it was stressful. Because I have such terrible short term memory, I had to record the conversation. I'll be listening back to it later today because I know there were at least 2 things I agreed to do before mid next week, and for the life of me I cannot remember what they are! Oh well, that's what digital audio recorders are for...

Until later, I remain,
Magnus.

Lol I am a guy yes. To be a 100% honest I have never actually met a female grower. Def out there I have just never met one go figure. I'm located actually about 45 mins from Stratford near London. O I new you would be staring at em non stop lol, something else we all have done. He'll to be honest I'll tell the wife be back in 10 mins just going to check on things, 2 hours later I get yelled at cause well 2 hours fly by when I'm just starring.
I would remove those vases as well. Your little ladies will actually gain alot more strength from the breeze passing over them.
Now this is just me so take it with a grain of salt, but I honestly just start my seeds right in soil, in the red dixie cups. Keep the soil moist. When they break surface I'll leave them covered for may a week. After that it's game on and up to them to grow and get stronger.
Also I know what you mean by little change. Your kinda in that in between stage where your girls are going from seedling to vegetative. One of these days your gonna go look and be like who the hell are you 4. They will hit a point and explode with growth.
Do you plan on training your plants at all?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

yeah man a thermometer and humidity combo is around $10 -15. I understand the low budget growing. Cost is what drives many grower to grow in the first place.lol
also the black n whites don't bother me any as I'm colour blind for red and green, It helps most to see the colours so they (we) could diagnose nutritional deficiencies. but for now just patients.
oh congrats on the book thing and hope you figure out what it was you agreed to lol. I'll be around fogging up someone's journal! ttyl8r

Hi from the east coast! I am also on my first grow and using coco/perlite and doing some plant training /scrog so thought I would tag along.. Looking good so far! We are using the same nutrients, be sure to go easy on them I almost killed one of mine at the recommended seedling strength when it was a week old. Apparently it's one of those less is best kind of things, despite our wish to fatten these girls up with some yummy nutes, the light is their real food. Be sure to get calmag in the mix if you haven't already. I have read you should mix it in your water first, then micro, then the others.. Something to do with chemistry l guess lol. Perhaps someone knows more... There should be a link to my journal here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Okay, juries in and I'll get rid of the vases. But they're so damned pretty! But if they're so damned pretty, the wife will love them...

Welcome to PE636 (Prince Edward Island, maybe?). Glad to have you along for the ride. Thanks for the info about almost killing your plant with kindness. The Wife-Bot and I were just talking about nutes and was I giving them too much. That's what I'm afraid of -- killing them with kindness. I've been okay on the nutes, though, haven't given too much, don't think I've given them too little.

And PE636, thanks for the heads up on how to mix the nutes. I appreciate it. I"m starting my CaMg on day 14, on the advice of a female grower I know and whom I respect (she works at the shop where I like to buy my stuff. Was in the shop yesterday and asked her especially when to give the CaMg and she said day 14 was a good day).

PufPufPas -- thanks for the congrats on my book deal. I'm THRILLED to have come so far. I wrote the novel in June 16 (last June) and sent it out to agents who all rejected it (tons of them rejected it). Then I sent it out to a few publishers and got a very positive response from one who loved the book and said they saw a ton of potential (read = $$$) and so they wanted to publish it. I agreed almost on the spot (after reading the contract closely, of course). I'm now very excited to be working with the editor I have and thrilled that I've got an entry date into the market: 14 Nov 17.

So the next few months will be really busy with my book, Finding Max.

Rideouts, yes I plan on training! I'm going to do a scrog on this grow. I've got a 5 x 5 foot tent on the way (got my tracking number from Ebay.ca just a few moments ago). I'm going to scrog all four plants in about a 4 x 4 foot space, giving me about a foot all around to work on them from. I"m terribly excited to be doing a scrog. I love the look of a well tended scrog, and I love the look of that sea of colas poking up above the netting. My wife, who is the builder of the family (I'm the intellectual writer), will build me the frame and we saw a $15 net for scrogging at my grow shop yesterday that we're going to use. It's reusable, too, so that makes it even more attractive. And it's soft, so its easy on the plants. Not hard and sharp at all. So if you've got scrogging background, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stick around for the long haul! Tent should be here within days and I'll have it all set up within 24 hours of it's arrival. Hell yeah! I'll be posting pics! And by that time, my demented little girls should be ready to have their nasty little heads chopped off! Might plant a couple of them and grow them along the sidelines of the scrog just to get what I can get. Rather than just throwing them in the trash...

So, I'll leave you to your thoughts.

My best,
Magnus.

I have a little experince with it. It is my preferred way to grow now to be honest. And if that's the case I'd also suggest looking into LST and topping. Both those mixed with a Scrog should really help your final yeild.
I'll be setting up my Scrog net soon. You should follow that along and see how you like it.

Using Lst ( Low Stress Training ) will help even out your canopy even befor the net goes on. And topping just helps all around.
Keep up the good work

Rideouts, thanks man. Yes, I plan on using LST. I just thought that was part and parcel of doing scrog. Just like topping. Can't imagine how you'd do a good scrog without both LST and topping. I've heard that you should top at least 6 times before going under the net. Makes sense to me. You top the first time, grow two branches from that. Then top both of those two branches (giving you 3 tops in total). Then top those 3 for the total of six, giving you a shitload of branches coming off all over your plant. You keep each of these branches in check through lst by tying them down to the earth and weighting them down. I was thinking of using fishing line weights tied to soft fibres (such as cloth or yarn) to bring down those branches until you get them under the scrog where the netting will keep them in place. The key, as I understand it, is in keeping the branches as low to the ground as you can until you get them under the net, then use the net itself to train them into areas of openness and where there is no other growth. I'm looking forward to my first scrog to see how it goes for me. I've got a ton of ideas but, of course, don't know which ones would work best.

For example, will the fishing line weights be heavy enough to hold down the soft branches? Will it be heavy enough to hold down the harder branches, or will I have to supercrop these ones? So many questions, so little time.

But I just cannot wait to be able to train the colas to reach toward the light at the end of the green tunnel, to reach up, up and up into that light, fattening themselves, growing outward and sticky crystals that glue your fingers together when you cannot help touching them though you shouldn't.

Just cannot wait.

I'm also going to be taking clones from these plants. I read a study where they had reported the differences between clipping clones while plants were in veg versus in bloom, and the bloom clones won out over the veg clones in total branches grown by the clones. After taking the bloom clones from their mothers, it took a bit of time back under 18/6 lighting to reveg (go back into veg state), but once these clones accomplished that (you have to cut off all the growing buds except the top, apex bud), they suddenly began sprouting branches all over the place. Just what you want for your maryjane plant. Also, just what you want for your scrog setup! So that's my plan. Take cuttings from my plants in bloom and watch those branches begin to spurt THC all over my tent. Combined with LST and topping and I'll be one happy, stoned camper!

That's the plan, at least.

I used a combination of fuzzy pipe cleaners tied down to the edge of the pot, supercropping, and quite a bit of just leaf tucking to let light in to the lower branches, it's surprising how quickly they respond. Once they are established and healthy they are pretty tough plants it seems! I just put my scrog screen in last night! Exciting!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

sorry to be all judgy and so:allgood: i sometimes have a bad habit of smartphoning/surfing /reading 420 app while walking and be quick in answers:thedoubletake: then when i come home i get rid of all i said during 420 sessions i call them :cheesygrinsmiley: and hold on to some good journals/ intersting people / growers/breeders....friends, amigos, colleages.....
now for the serious part i grow in soil tried hempy before like it, but for taste good soil is everything for me that is
all i can say is try to read your girls and go easy on everything and strenghten them the bigger the stem the bigger the buds
20170105_172604.jpg
20160822_171823_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

i wish you my best and photos say it all if you need help around here
and reading here :nomo:
so:goodjob::thanks:and:passitleft:
my regards to your wife:tokin:

Hey PE636,

Congrats on getting your screen in! It is exciting, isn't it? And yes, I can imagine them to be tough plants. Already mine seem strong like daddy, tough and hardy. And they're only 12 days old!

Hey veinz!

Thanks so much for following my journal. I really appreciate having your experience on board. And don't worry, i'm not thinking bad thoughts or questioning your opinion at all. I have to trust in those members who have gone though what I'm experiencing, or else why would I be here at all?

And those are some damned fine looking girls you got there! Wow! Nice pics, dude. Wow. Some strong stalks, that's for sure. I only hope mine grow as strong and sturdy as yours have! You'll have to keep us posted on your yield from them when the axe comes down...

And btw - the wife-bot says HI and thanks! She appreciates all good wishes.

Anyway, just woke up and am still blurry-eyed so will post pics later. But my demented little girls seem to be doing just nicely!

Thanks, again, for sticking around. Really, really appreciate it.

Best,
Magnus.

Rideouts,

That's one impressive plant you got growing there! Are the strings holding the bushy stalks back and out of the way so that they get more light? Or what are you doing exactly?

So what I have done how to explain this.
My girls are in 5 gallon pots. So in my experince I like using skewer sticks ( cheap and easy ) to anchor my branchs. I only topped these girls once. So I'll bend the man trunk down allowing as many bud sites to get light. From there I will start anchoring branches. Pulling them to the outside allowing light to penatrate the middle. This also helps even out the canopy. I adjust each branch as needed, every few days. Along with this I trim the base of the plant, forcing the plants energy up and not waiting it on the lower branches and leaves. I also find by doing this it cause a little faster growth.
Example
420-magazine-mobile1895530385.jpg

Trimmed her up yester day and she put on a good inch or more over night.
Keep up the good work Magnus
Wethegreen

Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow...

Hey Magnus I'll follow along your first grow and help ya out anyway that I can. I am also a coco grower currently doing a sea of green scrog journal. I used LST, topping, and netting for my grow. Currently going into week 5 of flower, have a look through that journal as it seems like a lot of what your trying to do is the same as me.

The journal is callled:
Death bubba - flood and drain 2x4 setup

good luck and looking forward to seeing updates!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom