Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Always here not always enough knowledge to answer.
This time I believe it's best to get rid of smaller ones. Now that said if your making oils and butters and what not,might as well keep them.

Hey New B,

Nice to see you. Hope all is well with you. Nice bit of snow we had the other day, eh? Supposed to be more coming Mon, Tues, Wed, if the forecast is still the same.

Thanks for the answer. Kush has said basically the same thing. I'm gonna go with the two of you. Already trimmed my damaged little girl who is still the runt of the littler. Not much left of her after her trim! Oh well. Didn't expect much out of her anyway. But the other Big Bud is going strong. It's not going to be a big haul but for my first grow and considering all the difficulties I had, I think I did alright. Considering. But we'll see in about 7 weeks now, won't we?

Hey, have you seen my new journal yet for my summer outside grow? Yes, even my 91 year old landlady said to go ahead and grow my weed. Couldn't believe it. She actually suggested I grow it myself on the farm. Just couldn't believe it. But anyway, I'd love to see you come down and check out the new journal. The link is in my signature below.

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Things are well. We only got a dash of snow way down here. Have not had a chance to go on line to see your new link. Doesn't show up when on my phone. Will find my way there soon.

Hey All,

Some good news! My plants are suddenly -- overnight -- covered in pistils. At least I think they're pistils. It's the first time I've ever seen them in real life and up close and personal, so I'm not quite sure that's what these are, but I'm almost 100% convinced that's what I'm looking at.

Finally, I feel like this grow has actually been worth it and that at the end of it all there's actually going to be a payoff.

I've found this process so damned fascinating all throughout this grow. I've learned so very much and I'm still learning so very much. I'm very much looking forward to my summer grow coming up, outside, growing in the soil on the farm (with amendments, of course). I'm still a little freaked out about looking after 15 outdoor plants by myself. But I've found someone who will dig my holes for me (for a price, mind you), so I don't have to worry about breaking my back doing that. A famous story in our house: The last time Magnus dug holes was to plant 6 tomato plants and so he dug six holes and was in the hospital hooked up to an IV drip of morphine for 6 weeks altogether by the next morning. Yes, my back. So I'm hiring someone to dig my fucking holes this time!

Anyway, pistils on my plants! WooHooBetty! Wowza! Zonks! Whirreeee! Yes! Pistils on my plants! And someone to dig my outdoor summer grow holes for my 15 or so plants this summer.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

Oh, and I'd take pics but I don't have a macro lens (woe is me) and so cannot get closeup shots of these beautiful little hairlike features.

Hey Magnus,

Looks good. Wish you were local because I have a friend who could use the fan leaves. If you get a chance look at my newest thread at

Purre CBD to combat Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - CRPS

Peace.

:yahoo: :woohoo: :yahoo:

Great news Magnus. :high-five: I'd trust your instincts and celebrate Baby! It gets to be so much more fun from this point on.

Glad you located a ditch digger that isn't you. An outdoor grow can be intimidating, but so worth the adventure. There's nothing quite like seeing the sun glisten off the trichomes. Outdoor growing is a totally different world. You're going to learn a lot this year my friend. You're also going to need somewhere to hang 15 plants. Keep that in mind. There will be a harvest and you will need to dry them. It'll take time to trim too. I think Cola Monster just hangs his and they wait for him to get to them.

The little details that get lost in the passionate inspiration. :cheesygrinsmiley: You sure 15 is the number you want to start this learning curve with? No one will be upset if that number shrank some.

Haven't been here in too long. :hug: :love:

Hey All,

This is the middle of week three in Flowering. A nice time to spend with your plants, for sure. Very serene in that room with the tent flaps open. Calm. Quiet (except for the fans and the lights, mind you, but kind of quiet.) Contemplative, at least. I find myself just staring into the canopy and dreaming for minutes on end. And I'm not just dreaming about the masses and masses of weed I'm going to have at the end of this grow because that's not going to happen, I know that by now. But dreaming, nevertheless

Some pics for you this miserable, grey, windy Saturday afternoon. Hard to believe that summer is around the corner with the weather we're having here today.

Work on the book is going well. Finished editing (with my editor) chapter VI of Finding Max and should be receiving the edits on chapter VII from my editor by mid-week this coming week. I'm a little pissed at her for taking so long with the editing. She's really getting us behind schedule. But she promised, in an email earlier this week, that she'd get us back on track very soon. Which means, that she's going to work like a crazy person to finish it and will expect me to be able to work at the same capacity to match hers if we're going to have the book out on the stands by 14 Nov 2017 -- the release date currently set for the book. But I'm happy with my part in it. I'm very pleased with the book I wrote, and I'm very pleased with the editing job I'm doing, that is taking the suggestions of my editor and finding a way to satisfy her while still maintaining the integrity of the book. I'm still hoping for a mid-Nov release, just before Black Friday and on sale for the Christmas Rush.

So that's 1/3 of my life. Editing my book. Another 1/3 of my life is working towards my Outdoors Summer Grow and the Journal I've constructed for it. I've got my tent set up for this indoor grow and my closet set up to germinate seeds and clones for my summer grow. And the last 1/3 of my life is working on my indoor grow, this one, the journal you are currently perusing. Wife? What wife? Or, that hairball I swept into the corner was my WIFE? Oops. I never knew. Hope she's still breathing. (cough-cough)

So the stretch period clearly isn't quite over yet. Every morning when I open the flaps of the tent I am amazed at how much they've grown overnight. They're still reaching up-up-up to the light above. And man, are they ever flowering. Yesterday morning I woke to tons of pistils that had grown overnight. Hopefully you'll be able to see them in the pictures.

So, without further adieu, I give you, the few pics I have for you today!

These first 2 pics are of the whole canopy so you can see how far above the scrog the plants have grown:

DSC_94291.JPG

DSC_94301.JPG

There's five more pics and they all show different flowers at roughly the same strength adn vitality . I think this will be all I can take without a macro lens. Not much to lok at, but I hope you enjoy these pics anyway. So here goes:

DSC_94311.JPG

DSC_94321.JPG

DSC_94331.JPG

DSC_9434.JPG

DSC_94361.JPG

So there you have it, my pics for the day. Hope you enjoyed this romping time through my vegetable patch. Wetch your feet and don't step on anything you do not recognize!

You're showing some slight nute burn on the tips of some leaves I see in the pictures. Keep an eye on your ppm's and reduce a little if you have to .

You're showing some slight nute burn on the tips of some leaves I see in the pictures. Keep an eye on your ppm's and reduce a little if you have to .

Hey Scrogdawg,

Nice to see you pop in! I think if you're seeing any nute burn then you're looking at old burn, not new. I've been voraciously vigilant about watching and keeping my tds below 600 all the time. Right now, for example, it sits at 468 ppm and the highest I've seen it has been around 630 since you helped me deal with my overly strong nutes before (and since receiving my tds meter in the mail, finally). I'm glad to see you caught the old burn, though. I means that you've got my back and I appreciate that so much. Shouldn't my tds readings be somewhat above 600 by now, though? I know you said that I should keep it at 30% of the recommended dosages, but that seems very low at this stage in the game. I just keep hearing that people raise the threshold of what their plants will take as their grow grows on. Any attempts to find the answer to this query has met with a ton of vague and unnecessary hits on Google, none of which have given me the right answer to the question of, What tds should my plants be able to cope with at this stage of their lives?

Hey, have you checked out my new summer grow, Scrogdawg? I'm pretty psyched about it, to be truthful. Actually, I think we did have a conversation about it several weeks ago when I was trying to decide on the number of plants I could legally grow and how much I could legally have in reserve and whether or not my landlady had to give her permission. Aaaaaah. I remember that now. hahaha. You sure sent me for a scare that day, though I was sure I was right in my ideas, I was nevertheless freaked out a bit!

Anyway, so good to hear from you. Hope you'll come alone and check out the new journal. I don't know how much you know about outside grows, but I'm sure you know a shitload more than me, and if that's the case, I'd love to have you along for the ride. Ah, however much history you have with outdoor grows, I'd still love to have you along for the ride!

Cheers, Scrogdawg.

Each strain will tolerate different amounts of TDS. Some people are running over 1000 ppm in flower but my White Widows would burn over 720 ppm. Try increasing to 700 ppm and see what happens. If you see signs of burn pull some of the nute water and replace with RO water to bring it down.

Here's a rule of thumb assuming the plants are drinking:
If your adding nute water and ppms are dropping then you can increase ppms.
If your adding nute water and ppms are increasing you've got to much nutes.
If your adding nute water and ppms stay the same you've found the balance.

Each strain will tolerate different amounts of TDS. Some people are running over 1000 ppm in flower but my White Widows would burn over 720 ppm. Try increasing to 700 ppm and see what happens. If you see signs of burn pull some of the nute water and replace with RO water to bring it down.

Here's a rule of thumb assuming the plants are drinking:
If your adding nute water and ppms are dropping then you can increase ppms.
If your adding nute water and ppms are increasing you've got to much nutes.
If your adding nute water and ppms stay the same you've found the balance.

Hey Scrogdawg,

Nice to see you pop your head in for a moment! And thanks for that advice. I increased to 745 ppm and am watching closely. With your posting I'm finally learning how to use my tds meter properly. I wasn't really sure before, though I checked it almost every day to make sure it was below 600 before. Thanks for that, man. Unfortunately, it seems as though some people here believe I know more than I actually do, when I'm still a beginner at all this. I notice this not just in my journal, but in the study halls and other stops here on 420mag. Which isn't really a problem. You just have to keep asking questions. But if I seem like a pain in the ass sometimes its just that I'm trying my damnedest to learn as much as I can about this wonderful world of growing marijuana.

Meant to increase to just 700 but got a little heavy handed with the pour by mistake!

Heres an example of how I keep track of my TDS when I mix a new batch of nutes. I keep a total of the individual solubles as well as a running total.
recipe2.jpg

Hey mag,

Show us the pictures of what it looks like under the scrog.

Have you stopped tucking all the tops now? When did you stop?

Hey Kush,

Nice of you to drop in again. I stopped tucking the tips in when the stretch got really under way. As far as I understand, you tuck the tips until you hit flower and then you let them grow up up and up because this is the beginnings of your colas. So that's what I've done. I've stopped tucking the tips in so that they can grow into colas that stand up straight and tall. And yes, I'll try to get that pic of the underside of the scrog up for you today. I'm just working on writing the sequel to Finding Max today and am in the thick of writing right now. Just took a break to write a few emails and postings like this one.

Keep well. Cheerio!

Hey all! Show and tell time here again!

These first three pics are of flowers from my plants. Mind you, I didn't say bud from my plants. Because they have none yet. They're really behind what Lea fly said they would flower in. Oh well. I've been patient so far...

DSC_94412.JPG

DSC_9442.JPG

DSC_9443.JPG

This next shot is the underside of my scrog. See Kush? It's been done. The only greenery you see is those fan leaves I tucked down under the scrog. Gotta leave some fan leaves, right?

DSC_94441.JPG

And this last one is a shot of the canopy of green. You can see where I thinned it out by removing small, tiny flowers that were only going to suck energy from the flowering plant. Get rid of those buggers.

DSC_94451.JPG

So there you have it, my pics for the moment. Hope that'll keep you satisfied until something really happens here. Besides the stretch, which does get boring after a while.

Hi All,

Hope this finds everyone doing well this Monday spring day. The sun is shining (when it's not behind clouds) the birds are singing, the dogs are acting crazy (but they always do) and the wife-bot is watching videos of Chicago Fire. All is normal. There's lots going on with my new outdoor summer grow right now, but that's another story. If you're interested in seeing what's going on then just follow the link below to my new summer grow. I'm working on growing 20 plants this summer, outdoors, on my landlady's other property. I was going to grow on the property I live on but there's no place that is secure enough from cars going by or farmhands coming to work with the cows. Either way, it's just not secure enough on my property. Hence growing on my 91 year old landlady's place. I'm going to talk to her about it tomorrow when I take her my rent (yes, one day late by tomorrow; so shoot me), but I don't foresee any problems with her allowing me to grow my weed in her back forty.

But this is my inside grow, the one you've all been following for so damned long. And yes, it's been a long, long haul. What with temperatures not being high enough in the beginning and stunting my plants from the get go to the nutrient overage that happened for so long. Nute burn for frickin' days, I tell you. That nute burn really set me back some. But anyway, everything is going well enough now. I"m not going to have the harvest I dreamed of, but that's so for every beginner, right? I'm proud of my work with the scrog this grow. And I'm very very proud of how much I've learned this past grow. Gawd knows it's going to be hard to get past another nute overload on me, that's for sure. I'm going to see that coming from a bloody mile away.

But I've got some pics for you today, if you want to see them. And I'm sure you do, right? So here goes...

This first pic is of the canopy which has stretched considerably during the past few weeks. I think the stretch is still on, in fact. It hasn't shown any signs of slowing down at all. Is that good? Does more stretch mean more bud? I don't really think so, but a guy can hope, right?

So here's that pic:

DSC_94671.JPG

This next shot shows the progress of my broken branch that I mended/tended until it lived. You can still see the break in it, but it's healthy enough, getting enough nutes and water and all. The pic below that is a shot of that same branch, but the end of it where the cola is growing:

DSC_94691.JPG

DSC_9470.JPG

This shot is of that same branch, but shows the pipe cleaner I used to add support to it for when it grows a bigger cola. I thought that since the break in the branch didn't heal completely solid that it needed some support to counterbalance the weight of the bud. Hey! Look at me! I'm hoping for at least one big cola! Isn't that just a bit too presumptuous? I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed in myself with this grow. I really expected it to turn out better. But they do say that beginners always have smaller yields than experts and I understand that now. Beginners like me just make too many mistakes. And when we haven't necessarily made a "mistake" then we don't have the experience to necessarily know when something is either off or downright wrong. Whatever happens, we have yields that are smaller than other more experienced growers. And that is certainly the case with me this time. This grow is nothing like it could have been, don't you think? Oh well. I'm hoping that my outside grow will redeem myself. I'm also hoping my outside grow will expand my cannabis coffers considerably. (yes, i'm a poet and I did know it) Anyways, onto the pic:

DSC_94681.JPG

These next 3 pics are of various flowers growing into buds. I was trying to get close shots of the buds as they form so that you could see the white, white pistils. And boy, are those beautiful little hairlike strands ever white, eh? They're really beautiful to look at, that's for sure. I doubt they'll come through in the pics I've got because I don't really have the lens for taking shots like that.

DSC_9470.JPG

DSC_94711.JPG

DSC_9472.JPG

This last shot tells an interesting tale. 1/2 of my Big Bud plant, the one who was considerably stunted due to heat burn and nutes burn, you know, my damaged little girl, well 1/2 of her just didn't grow. One whole side of her, due to the falloff of light from the cheap LED that I bought. It just didn't reach to the edge of the scrog properly and this plant shows the result. I tried to show both the stunted portion as well as the edge of where it actually grew properly to show you how weird it looks, but I"m not sure I got it all into the pic. You can see the extreme difference between the two portions of the plant when you look to the left of the pic and see the long stalk there but then look immediately down and you see the stunted portion of that very same plant. Very weird.

DSC_9473.JPG

So I hope you've enjoyed the new pics. I"m getting closer and closer every day to harvest. I can just feel it. I can taste it. I can walk around, stumblingly blind and acting like an idiot stoned over it. Well, maybe I don't really get like that when I'm high, but its a thought.

(Eating these amazing egg salad sandwiches. A young friend of 16-years of age, James, raises chickens and sells the eggs for profit. He's also the young friend who approached me about wanting to sell my extra weed for profit. He wants to be my runner, if you can believe it! A longish story that is detailed in more clarification in my Summer Outdoor Grow Journal that is linked at the bottom of my signatures. Anyway, his eggs taste A-MAZ-ING, they really do, and I love them. We picked up a couple dozen from James the other day and the wife-bot decided to make a huge egg salad this afternoon. I'm reaping the rewards, let me tell you.)

So have great days, you all, and enjoy the week ahead. I've got my work cut out for me these next couple of weeks getting ready for my outside grow. I've contracted with James to dig holes for me (because my back cannot take that kind of heavy work) and he'll be here in about 2 weekends from now to do that job. Then I've got to fashion up a trailer to pull behind my blazer so that I can load a water tank on it and water my plants back in the woods behind my landlady's place. Then I've got a ton of stuff yet to buy for the grow, like my bat guano, worm castings, mycorrhizae, etc. I've already picked up my Bone Meal and my Blood Meal, my black earth and some cow manure. Growing outdoors in soil is so very different than growing indoors, that's for sure. Everything done indoors has to be done so exact (I'm thinking nutes here) but outdoors things get a lot more lax and unknown. A handful of this, two handfuls of that and let 'er rip.

Anyway, I digress. So have great nights, and cheerio!

Hey All,

Got a question for you.

How do I tell when my babies are about 2 weeks from being ready?

Already they are not conforming to the flowering time that the seed vendor stated. The seed vendor stated that they would take 57 and 58 days respectively, but at 3 weeks they were clearly behind what they should have been. They've now entered their 6th week and there's no way they'll be ready in 57 and 58 days respectively. And I've never done this before so I have no idea how to tell if they're close or not.

I know that I'm supposed to stop feeding them nutes once they are about 2 weeks from the chop, but without knowing when they're going to be ready, well, I just don't know what to do and when to do it. If you know what I mean, eh?

I can post pics here later today (can't right now because I'm in the middle of transplanting by outdoor grow plants into bigger pots before they're ready to go outside) if that's what you need to tell you how long until they're ready.

I could really use some advice on this. I don't trust the internet because the cursory look I took there last night gave me various different answers on how to tell.

All my best,
Magnus.

What happened with this grow dear Magnus? You should have reached harvest quite some time ago

Hi All,

I know Magnus8 has been having some computer issues and has been off line lately. Looking forward to getting him back.

Peace. :peace:

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom