Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

nice grow. keep up the good work

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Magnus, be careful on the legality of growing issue. ACMPR permits currently have a 3-4 month waiting period. How did you get yours so quick? Another thing, for it to be a legal grow with Health Canada you have to submit along with the ACMPR application, written and signed permission from the onwer of the dwelling/property that you intend to grow on. Your prescription does not allow you to grow your own medicine, and 19 plants growing with 32 oz. dry in possession would be a huge train wreck if you were caught. Just a heads up.

I just checked the ACMPR regulations and I do NOT need to have permission from my landlord to grow marijuana on the property I rent from her, neither inside the house nor outside the house. I had thought this was the case, but I was confused when you said I needed permission to grow outside. From the government, yes, from the landlady, no. I rent from her. I pay her for rental of the property, including not just the house but also the yard. I don't have access to the fields. That has always been clear. I don't rent the fields surrounding my place. But I do have control over the yard. I have the right to put in a garden. I have the obligation to cut the grass. I have the obligation to keep the yard tidy. I also have the right to grow whatever plants I can grow legally whenever the growing season takes me. I had thought you might be mistaken about needing permission, but decided to check out the regulations to make sure.

But thanks so much for your concern. I don't undertake any decision lightly. I haven't just up and decided to do something that's going to get me in a lot of trouble when there's no reason for it. I'm quite a steady, staid kind of guy here. I'm certainly not going to go into growing out loud (where everyone can see). I've got the perfect spot for them where you cannot see them when you come from one side of the road, and from the other side of the road they are so far away from the plants that they'll have trouble determining what they are. Or I could put then down by the edge of the field near the trees (where the trees don't cast shade) where they'll just blend into the surrounding foliage. There's actually yet a third place I could grow them well away from prying eyes and away from anyone else. But I do appreciate you concern, Scrogdawg, and I should stop writing because it's very late and I'm not making sense anymore.

So, g'nite all. Have great sleeps and enjoy your Monday mornings coming along so soon.

I went back and checked the regulations as well, you are absolutely correct Magnus. My apologies for pushing the panic button.

I went back and checked the regulations as well, you are absolutely correct Magnus. My apologies for pushing the panic button.

No problem, Scrogdawg!

I have to admit, I did panic there for a moment. I thought that I was correct about the laws, but you made me double check!

Hello All!

Time for a picture update...

This first pic shows the scrog from the front/top after I spent about 1/2 an hour tucking it in and under all the way. It looks pretty messy in this pic because every leaf is turned under, upside down and it looks messy. But the one thing I want you to notice is how full the scrog has become. It's now getting harder to tuck things in, for several reasons. First, because there are so many leaves tucked under the scrog now that it's actually difficult to tuck anything more down there. Second, because it is getting hard to fix mistakes I made with the scrog in days earlier. The more I work with the scrog the more I understand how it is supposed to work. As it gets fuller it becomes harder and harder to know where to tuck this branch, where to tuck that leaf, what to uncover, what is left to leave under the canopy of leaves there and not worry about coaxing out. So, without further ado, here's the pic:

DSC_93591.JPG

Late last week I was working, trying to coax this big, strong branch under the net. It wasn't that far out, but the stalk was really strong and brittle. Guess what? I snapped the fucker. I was moving it so damned carefully, too. I was being really gentle. It just snapped! and that was it. It was broken. So I had read lots about broken branches when I first began growing. I was kind of fascinated by how these plants can repair themselves, which is why I read the article. So at least, when I snapped this branch, I knew what to do and I taped it up immediately and didn't move it for several days. Well, I checked under the tape this evening and though it didn't heal the way I wanted it to, it did, still heal. And probably enough so that this branch isn't completely out of the picture. Because it wasn't just a branch, if I"m going to be truthful. It was one of the main stalks and it broke off almost at the base. So in other words, if it didn't repair itself I would have been without a whole 1/2 plant of product by the end. So you see how important it was for this branch to heal. Though I didn't take a pic of the unbandaged break, I did get this pic of the tape job I did on the stalk. Here it is:

DSC_9363.JPG

And here's the accompanying pic, which shows how important the branch is that I broke. So this is a pic of the branch I broke:

DSC_93642.JPG

These next couple of pics are of just shit happening in the scrog. I think there's 4 of them:

DSC_93541.JPG

DSC_93601.JPG

DSC_93611.JPG

DSC_93621.JPG

Here's a fun moment. Though more fun if you were actually here... This pic is a pic of some roots I found hanging out in the bottom of my flood table that had grown through the bottom of the fabric pot:

DSC_9365.JPG

And I know that everyone likes to see one of these when they're out walking in a field or something:

DSC_9366.JPG

So there you have it, my pics for the night. I had hoped to get these out earlier this evening but I found myself disturbed by my nightly phone call from the wife-bot. For those of you who don't know, she's in Ontario visiting her kids and grandkids this last month. She'll be returning home at the end of next week.

And I forgot to mention: We have a brand new baby girl in our family. Ginette's son and his partner had a beautiful baby about 4 days ago. Her name is Riley, a very pretty name for a girl, I think. I don't have any pics (since I'm not one of the privileged who was able to go to Ontario this month blah blah blah) or else I'd post one up here. It's actually my first grandchild. As my wife-bot's partner of 10 years, I was never allowed to become part of my wife's daughter's family because she doesn't accept me. So the last grandchild was born to her and I have never been allowed to be her grandfather. But my relationship with my wife-bot's son is different. He accepts me into the family and will allow me to be this new child's grandfather. I'm tickled pink. I've never been a grandfather.

Hell, I've never been a father as far as I know... there might be that one indescretion in Baghdad that night, and though she said she was on the pill, I never really believed this girl. It was during the sanctions, before the oil-for-food Programme that the UN allowed while I was working there and so there was no medication in Baghdad for almost 10 years before this hookup, and no medication means no birth control pills. Anyway, there was that one indescretion, in Baghdad... I've always felt I was a father because of that night. But, mind you, though it only takes one time, it's not every time that you build a baby. Anyway, it's late and night and I probably shouldn't even have admitted that stuff out in public here. But hell, I was in my 20s and who can make excuses for the shit they did while they were 20. Hell, I'm sure I"m not the only 20something year old who had a memorable evening with a wonderful woman that they later regret. Hell, je regrette rien! I don't regret that night. I have some very fond memories of that night. And given the locale, given the work I was doing (working for the Weapons Inspectors and UNSCOM), who can blame one for seeking solace one glorious summer evening. Palm trees, good food and hot, hot weather. I'll always remember that about Baghdad. And that night. I won't forget that night.

Hey Scrogdawg,

Hope all is well with you. I sent you a private message yesterday, don't know if you got it. I was asking for some advice in that email because I need to switch over to flower tomorrow and I need to know about what nutrition to give them. I cannot, for the life of me, find that post where you directed me to another website to calculate my own nutrient values for each stage in the growth process. I know that the nutrients change when you are about to shift into bloom, but I don't know how much to give yet. But the scrog is ready to flip to 12/12 and I need to figure out what to feed my babies during this process. Actually I need to know what to feed them for the rest of their lives alive! So I've really got to get my mind wrapped into that website again so that I can figure out how to calculate my values myself. That way I wouldn't have to keep bothering you.

But anyway, I did send a PM to you about this about a day and a half ago so, if you have a moment, I'd really like to get that info from you if you don't mind. And really, I hope you don't mind. And again, it would be simpler if I could just figure this out myself and this time, when your info comes, I promise to print it up and place it in my weed growing file (yes, I really do have one).

So anyway, have a great night. You're probably in bed by now like most sane people. Not me.

Hey Scrogdawg,

Don't worry about re-sending me that chart. I just finally found it again. Its on page 32 of this journal. I had thought that it was in a message that also included a recipe for nute solutions. I don't know why I thought that except I supposed that you had sent it in the same email as the last recipe you provided. But that wasn't the case, which is why I had trouble finding it. I was looking for the recipe.

But anyway, I finally found it and the recipe is right there. So, thanks anyway.

Just make sure you mix at about 40% of what they recommend or you'll be wasting nutes or burning leaves.

Okay, so drumroll please...

I'd like to announce the shifting of the day from 18/6 hours long, to 12/12 hours long.

Yes, that's right. Today the babies moved into flowering mode!!!

I'm so fucking thrilled.

And tomorrow marks the beginning of my summer grow. I'll be putting up a journal of my outdoor summer grow within days, so if you're interested, and you're not too damned bored yet by me and my stupid humour, then please, tag along for the ride. I'd love to have you.

That's great! The girls are going to reward you for all the work! Can't wait to see some buds! I think I may do a summer outdoor thing too (who am I kidding of course I am) but not sure what strain or by what method or anything yet.

That's great! The girls are going to reward you for all the work! Can't wait to see some buds! I think I may do a summer outdoor thing too (who am I kidding of course I am) but not sure what strain or by what method or anything yet.

Hey PE636,

You'd better get started on that outdoor grow soon then. It's already the end of the first week of April. By rights, we both should have had our seeds germinating last week for the best chance of our baby girls growing up enough to stand the harshness of the hot sun and to have enough of a head start to be big enough to be mature enough by the end of summer. In other words, if we don't both get our seeds germinating soon, then we will have lost our window to get our seeds started indoors like they need to be up here in Canada.

Get a move on, bud. Time is slipping by!

Hey PE636,

You'd better get started on that outdoor grow soon then. It's already the end of the first week of April. By rights, we both should have had our seeds germinating last week for the best chance of our baby girls growing up enough to stand the harshness of the hot sun and to have enough of a head start to be big enough to be mature enough by the end of summer. In other words, if we don't both get our seeds germinating soon, then we will have lost our window to get our seeds started indoors like they need to be up here in Canada.

Get a move on, bud. Time is slipping by!
I think I will try autos as they are quite a bit faster... I am on 10 acres in the country with lots of good secluded spots so hoping to get some started indoors around mid May, outside by mid June and harvesting before the end of August... Just have to make up my mind what strain/strains to try!

Magnus, don't forget you can "Blog" any post that you want to keep for reference. That's what I do with all the helpful posts I've found here on 420. The "Blog this Post" button is on the lower left side of each post.

:circle-of-love:

Hey Scrogdawg,

Don't worry about re-sending me that chart. I just finally found it again. Its on page 32 of this journal. I had thought that it was in a message that also included a recipe for nute solutions. I don't know why I thought that except I supposed that you had sent it in the same email as the last recipe you provided. But that wasn't the case, which is why I had trouble finding it. I was looking for the recipe.

But anyway, I finally found it and the recipe is right there. So, thanks anyway.

Hello All, Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their lives.

I've got some pics for you today.

Yeaaaaaah! Photos to view!!!

Yes, pics to view. I've got to admit, however, there's not much to see in a scrog as the plants age really. They never get any bigger because they are always underneath the scrog and so you cannot see them getting any taller or anything. Maybe there's be something for the discerning eye to see, but I"m sure not much. Now... If, like FeloniousPunk and his arch nemesis, HashGirl, I had a macro lens for my camera, then things might be different. Maybe I'll have to see how much a macro lens costs nowadays. I remember them being prohibitively expensive. But who knows? That was during a different time and in a different place. Maybe I could afford one now. It sure would be nice for taking pics of my girls.

Whatever. Enough whining about what I do and do not own, right? Let's look at the freaking pics! Okay, here goes.

This first pic is the one we all want to see in our gardens. A humongeous, green thriving 5 fingered leaf! And I tell you, when I saw this leaf I knew I wanted to get a shot of it for my journal because the leaf was so damned big:

DSC_93681.JPG

These next two shots are the type of shots where I'd love to use a macro. To isolate the shot, to focus on the elements, to reduce the extra "noise" around the item through selective focus so that I can present my image with much more aplomb. They show the top of my broken branch and show how well it is doing. In this shot you can see how green the shoots are, how much it still thrives. It's as though the branch never even broke, isn't it? Rather than seeming broken, this branch still thrives. And that's a good thing, because it's one of my primary branches on this plant, one of the the stronger, more brittle branches that supports all the others (which is why it broke in the first place when I tried to move it under the scrog. I don't think I'll ever do that again! Well, here they are:

DSC_93691.JPG

DSC_9370.JPG

This next shot is a shot of a portion of my scrog. Just a slice/section of it. Again, need a macro for this type of shot. But anyway, here's the pic:

DSC_93711.JPG

This next shot is a pic of the underside of the plant with the tape where the branch broke. You can see how close it broke to near the bottom of the branch and how disastrous that would be if it hadn't healed. I haven't removed the tape even though I'm fairly sure it has healed all it will heal by this time. But I'm just being careful. I'll take the tape off before my next pics. I"m kinda leaving it on out of fear, but also partly because I want to show my wife my taping job on the plant so that when she comes home from her Ontario vacation this week that she can see how this is done (how to heal a broken branch). I'll take off the tape after she gets home so she can be there when I take it off. But anyway, here's the pic:

DSC_9373.JPG

This next shot is just another one taken under the canopy of leaves. Just to show how clean it has to get in case anyone navigates over and wants to see it. I think the underside of the scrog looks really rad, cool, psycho. Here's the pic:

DSC_9372.JPG

And this last pic is one of my canopy, from the top. I haven't taken time to completely tuck it today. I'll do that when i'm done uploading these pics for y'all. See how I put y'all first, before everything? Before wine, women and song? Well, maybe not before women... But you know what I mean, right? So, here's the pic:

DSC_9375.JPG

Quite a green canopy, that one. Nice and lush. Nice and green. Nice and thriving.

Also, and if I had a good macro I could show you this, but I don't so I cannot... These tiny finger-like growths have begun to occur around the top of the canopy. They don't look like any leaves that have grown before that I've seen. Tiny, thin, hair-like, finger-like growths all over the top of the canopy. ]

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I'm wondering if it's the beginning of the flowers trying to grow. Could that be it? I don't know. I've never seen a marijuana plant up close so I don't know what to compare them to. I can only compare them to what I've seen them growing like so far, and that's not much to compare the to now that we're in flowering mode.

So if anyone can answer that question, I'd be very grateful. Unfortunately, they were much too small to get a good photo of (hence the need for a macro, right?).

So that's all for today. Looking forward to hearing from everyone. Again, I"m not too sure how interesting a scrog grow is going to be to anyone until the flowers begin to grow up past the surface of the scrog (because that should surely be interesting to see).

So, until then, I hope I can come up with some devilish trick to keep you interested until then, so that you don't all leave this journal in droves.

And I'll mention again that within days I"m going to be starting my Summer Grow Journal. The seeds have mostly sprouted but I'm waiting until they are all sprouted and calling that Day One. It'll just keep it all simpler that way, since they'll all move into flower at approximately the same time at this latitude and longitude.

Except for the auto. I"m growing one auto this summer outside, too. We'll see how that goes, since I've never grown an auto before adn have never wanted to grow one, either. I came into the seed because it was a company freebie and when I ordered it, it was my only choice among 3 autos they were offering as free seeds. Oh well. It'll be interesting, I suppose.

So with that said, I would love, if you have any interest at all in following a summer outside grow, for any and all of you to follow me into that grow and come along for the ride. Even if you don't grow outside for yourself... Just come along. I'm sure there's more you can teach me, how your knowledge of inside growing can translate to outside traditions and ways of doing things.

I look forward to having you all along for the ride!

Hi Magnus. Great photos. Thank for sharing.

Just for your info, the last photos I posted on our grow journal were taken with my phone camera and not a macro lens.

Hey All,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I've just posted my first post for my beginning summer outdoor grow, if anyone is interested in following along. This will be a very, very different grow than this current one because I'll be growing outside and growing in soil and compost to supplement the Fox Farms nutrients that I think I'm going to pick up. Part of me wants to try growing without the use of bottled nutrients, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I know I can get enough nitrogen into my soil with the chicken manure that I"m currently cooking for the vegetative stage of growth. But I"m not sure I can get enough Phosphorous into the soil for flowering. Mind you, I should be able to pick something up at the grow store that'll help with the phosphorous issue. And it sure would be nice to grow some good yield and not spending a ton of money on nutes. Because I"m going to have to spend a TON of money on garden hoses to connect them all the way from the house to the grow site. I tell you, it's far. You can see how far if you navigate over to the new journal and check out the first pic...

Anyway, those are the kinds of issues I'm dealing with here now in this grow. Like how the hell will I afford all those garden hoses... Damn. But if I have to haul water in three trips per day down to the site with the 4 wheel drive SUV I own, then that's what I'll do. Because no matter what, I'm growing outside this summer, and this is the best, most private spot on the homestead there is.

So anyway, I invite you to come along and take a look at the journal, subscribe, so that we can continue to hang out here on 420mag together, like we have during this grow.

Until then, cheerio.
Magnus.

ps -- the link to the journal is in my signature, below!

I just stopped in to see the scrog. Going well, I see. Congrats on the new grand baby. :hug::hug::hug: :love: Don't post any pictures of children on the site. It's one of the biggest no-nis you can do. Ask me how I know. :straightface:

And a hearty congrats on the Flip. :yahoo: A momentous time, eh? Almost as exciting as deciding to take that first plant. Let the games begin. :slide:

Hi All,

Ready for some pics?

Let's set the stage. It's day eleven of flowering. The stretch is on, like, big time. I went in this morning after the lights came on and couldn't believe how much some of the tops had grown overnight. They're consuming nutes and water like mad right now. And now there are all these tops with new growth and it looks like colas could develop. I'm not sure if I"m supposed to cut some of the off or not. It seems like an awful lot of them. But hey -- why look a gift horse in the mouth, eh?

So ready for the pics?

This first is just a shot of the canopy from the side. Not much to see except for how much they've already begun to stretch. The stretch has been going on for only 3 or 4 days I think. Hope they don't stretch to the frigging roof. That would be a problem.

DSC_9385.JPG

These next two shots are pics of the branch I broke. The first one will show you how well it healed. The second will show the top of that branch in the canopy to show how well it is thriving. And I tell you, I broke that sucker nearly in two it was so brittle and ready to snap. So here they are:

DSC_9391.JPG

DSC_9392.JPG

The rest of the pics are shots taken from all over the canopy, mostly of the stretching branches. Enjoy.

DSC_9386.JPG

DSC_9387.JPG

DSC_9388.JPG

DSC_9389.JPG

DSC_9390.JPG

DSC_9393.JPG

DSC_9394.JPG

I've got a question for anyone who is even here anymore. It seems like no one is here since I've posted pics twice to no response. But maybe there's still some stragglers around, eh? Well, here's the question.

Scrogdawg, I'd love to hear your response to this question, if you have a moment.

I noticed this morning that there's a ton of new flowers at the top of my scrog. Some of them are obviously going to be the main colas that the plants produce, but some of them are on the ends of little branches that have grown up to meet the upper part of the scrog. I never cut these off when I defoliated last time because they were at the top of the scrog so I thought I should leave them there. Now I notice that many of them are on these side branches which are pretty strong and the flowers seem like they'll produce viable bud. There are other ones, however, which are very small and fragile and look like they'll produce only popcorn buds. You can tell already which ones will be which.

So the question: Do I cut all the side branches off, directing the plants energy into just the main colas, or do I off only the side branches which seem the weakest and leave the ones with flowers that seem viable? I"m not sure what I"m supposed to do. If I cut all the branches of then doesn't that take away from what the scrog is supposed to be doing? I mean, producing a situation where they all have access to light and so you have so many more colas than just the primary colas from the primary branches?

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this. I really would because I could really use some direction here.

Always here not always enough knowledge to answer.
This time I believe it's best to get rid of smaller ones. Now that said if your making oils and butters and what not,might as well keep them.

Back
Top Bottom