Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Okay, okay. I'll do pics today. I've actually got something I want to show you that started growing on the side of my fabric pot. I noticed it there on the first pot as a very light dusting of whitish substancce, but thought it was an imperfection in the pot since that is what it looked like and it was so close to having just planted them. But in the last week it has leaped to 2 of the other 3 pots and is suddenly growing really quickly. So far, it hasn't affected the plants at all that I can see. But I'll show you in the pics later. I take a photo of it.

And the plants. I'll take some pics of them, too, i suppose. hahaha. Very funny, everyone.

So Scrogdawg & Kush and anyone else who wants to weigh in. My water, before adding anything, has a reading of 1150 ppm.

Now what do I do?

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Yikes... 1150ppm for JUST water?? That doesn't seem right at all. Even bad hard water should be reading no more than 400-500 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I agree with kushnoj27. You need to measure TDS in a bottle of store bought water to see if its near 0 or if your meter is pooched. On the other hand if that is salt leeching through the sides of your pots it could be that your water is really 1150ppm. Either way, something needs correcting.

I agree with kushnoj27. You need to measure TDS in a bottle of store bought water to see if its near 0 or if your meter is pooched. On the other hand if that is salt leeching through the sides of your pots it could be that your water is really 1150ppm. Either way, something needs correcting.

It really is that high. I measured some RO water here that we have and it came out to 2 ppm. Pretty low, huh? So my well water is fucked. Anything I can do to it after it has come out of the tap? Installing any form of filtration system is out of the question. First of all, this isn't my well water, this is my buddy's. Mine's even worse. Don't know what the ppm is of it, but it stinks to high heaven. No way to filtrate that into a manageable mess. And I can hardly install a filtration system at my buddy's home. So if there's anything I can do once it has exited the tap, but I doubt there is anything that can be done.

Given that, I'll probably have to go back to buying RO water for the system. Problem with that is, first of all, it gets expensive after a while to purchase it. Besides the water, there's the 1.5 hour drive there and back to get the water and I have to factor gas into that. Not to mention the time to pick the shit up.

What does too high a ppm do to the plant? The roots, the plant, the leaves the budding action? I don't even know what I'm fighting against here.

So for tonight, I have to flush and I'll flush with the water I have now (the 1150 ppm water). Then tomorrow I have to make a trip into Vegreville or to Two Hills, where I can get water. I might just go to Two Hills. I'll have to pick up water there and I don't know what ppm reading I'll get from that water. But I'll finish my flush with that water and pick up more of that to mix my nutes with.

Scrogdawg: I'll get you the ppm reading of the Two Hills water that I can buy. I'm not sure if its RO water or not. It's from this little hole in the wall grocery store and I wouldn't doubt it if they had no filtration just affixed the right spout on the tap in the wall to fill up yyour jugs and pay for them. Seriously wouldn't doubt it. Either way, I'll get you that ppm reading by tomorrow, after I make it to Two Hills and fill up my jugs. I have five full jugs of clean, unusable water here. Might as well flush with them. At least it'll be better than the nutrient soup that's been feeding them for a few too many days now. Which was not intentional. I couldn't get through the driveway, nor down the 11 km of gravel roads encumbered with snow, to get out to the highway until today. They plowed the road out front today and plowed the driveway, too. So I can finally get out and get to Two Hills. I went to my buddy's place and got these five jugs of well water, but now that's unusable. I think I'm repeating myself.

Have you got a friend in either town where you could fill pails with tap water.

Hi Scrogdawg,

Nope, the only friend I've got out here is my buddy with similar water to mine, the one with the 1150 ppm water. I'll just have to bite down and purchase it. There's my landlady, but she's 92 years old. I don't want to be bothering her every few days with requests to traipse through her house carrying these jugs of water, dripping on her floor, etc. No, I'll just buy it.

But I don't have the ppm for the Two Hills water just yet. I won't have that reading until I pick up the water in town tomorrow. I think it's supposed to be RO water, but I'm not sure just yet.

As soon as I have it, I'll let you know.

Is it okay to be flushing my plants with this 1150 ppm water just now? Should I be rinsing that 1150 water out with water from Two Hills tomorrow, or can I continue to use the 1150 ppm water for flushing them?

If the plants look OK wait till tomorrow then do a res change.

If the plants look OK wait till tomorrow then do a res change.

Hey Scrogdawg,

I'm not sure I understand you. Do a reservoir change? But I have to flush them now. I usually flush with clean water for 2 days and then fill the reservoir with fresh solutions and water. Is that the process you'd like to see me go through now? I'm sorry, but I'm just too new at this to understand exactly what you want me to do. Sorry for the extra work.

You're right, I was confused. Carry on.

Okay, so here are the Selfies! Well not really. But the pics, nevertheless.

You'll notice that overall they are doing much, much better. You can really see the nute overkill on the leaves of one of my big buds, but not the damaged little girl. She seems to be coming along quite nicely, though of course I'd like to see her bigger than she is. But hey, they're doing great in comparison to before when we discovered the nutes overkill. It really damaged my one plant badly. I've got a close up of the damage to show how extensive it is on that plant. But mostly only on that one plant. Strange, eh?

But anyway, here they are.

This first is the worst. It's one of my two Big Buds and it was damaged heavily in the nute burn.

DSC_93061.JPG

DSC_93072.JPG

This next one is my damaged little girl who shows no real signs of everything she went through with the heat burn anymore. She is a little stunted in growth, but other than that is looking fine. I'm expecting her to pull her own weight all through harvest time and am a lot less worried for her now.

DSC_9308.JPG

DSC_93091.JPG

This next one is one of my Pineapple Expresses and as you can see she's doing fine. The second pic is one of her leaves to show how healthy and vibrant they are. I did this for both the PE's.

DSC_93101.JPG

DSC_9311.JPG

And this is the last of my Pineapple Expresses:

DSC_9312.JPG

DSC_9313.JPG

And now this is my salt accumulation or whatever it is. Ginette tasted it on her fingers and said it didnt taste at all like mold or mildew, even remotely. If that's any help. I've thought it was an accumulation of stuff from the beginning. You can see how it's growing all along the side of the bag.

DSC_9314.JPG

Hey Magnus, honestly if your water has been at 1000+ ppm this whole time and your plants have survived from seedling and until now, they should be fine. I'm not sure how often you were using RO water but that nute overkill might've even simply been the ppm in the water being so high and mixed with your nutes it was just way too much.

These plants can go through some serious damage and still produce a good amount of bud. Oh and that is definitely salt buildup on your pots, i have the same. Just make sure to top feed once every couple weeks or so to eliminate the excess.

Looking good though! The plants have taken to their training quite nicely. now just time to dial it all in and get some serious growth happening!

How far are you keeping your led light from the plants now? Are you using both the 600 and 1000w led?

Hey Magnus, honestly if your water has been at 1000+ ppm this whole time and your plants have survived from seedling and until now, they should be fine. I'm not sure how often you were using RO water but that nute overkill might've even simply been the ppm in the water being so high and mixed with your nutes it was just way too much.

These plants can go through some serious damage and still produce a good amount of bud. Oh and that is definitely salt buildup on your pots, i have the same. Just make sure to top feed once every couple weeks or so to eliminate the excess.

Looking good though! The plants have taken to their training quite nicely. now just time to dial it all in and get some serious growth happening!

How far are you keeping your led light from the plants now? Are you using both the 600 and 1000w led?

Hey Kush,

Thanks for this. I appreciate your good news. And I'm glad it's salt buildup. Last thing I wanted was a fungus growing in my system. That would be about too much for me to take right about now after all that has happened with this grow. I'm not sure how far the leds are from the plants, and they're asleep right now. I will check on that in the morning. I know it's as far as I can make it. Can't lift the lights any further. Maybe it needs to be dropped some again. They've grown so much that I wonder if they're strong enough for more intense lighting. And no, I'm using only the 1000w led on them. I'm wasting the 600w led in the closet, waiting for some seedlings to begin growing in there. Should I place the 600w in there too? I never even thought of it, to be honest. Where would I place it, just above them beside the 1000w one? Do you think I'd get better growth? After the light burn incident, I've been very careful with my lights in keeping them as far away from the tips of my leaves as seems warranted. I mean, I've been very careful. Once burned, twice shy. Something like that, eh?

Well, it's late enough in the evening that it's almost morning. So if I just wait around for another half hour I can check on that light distance for you. So I'll just put this posting aside and wait til then.

Okay, so the jury is in and they are 28 inches from the led light source. That, by the way, is the height of the scrog to the light source, since the plants are just reaching the bottom of the scrog now. So they'll never need to get any closer than 28 inches from the light with the scrog set up there.

So how's that for a distance. if you tell me that I have to move that light further from my plants, I will kill you. I promise you that. I simply cannot move it further away. There's just too much in the way to do that. For the hopelessly metric minded, 28 inches is 7/10 of a metre, or about 3/4 of a metre between the plants and the light source. But that's for the hopelessly metric minded, mind you. Not for the rest of us.

When you go to flower Magnus your tops are going to stretch up through the screen. During the stretch you can expect them to double or more in height. If you have 28" now you're going to have far less after the stretch. My plants were 12" high when I flipped to 12/12 and after the stretch they finished at 27".

No no Magnus do not raise the light. I was going to say if anything lower them down a bit more. I know your lights is "1000w" but really it probably is around 300-400w max.

I paid $1400 for my 600w LED from KIND, right now I'm keeping that light 10 inches above my big plant in flower. What I'm saying is that cheap LED light you have will not put out what it claims, sorry but for $150 it will not put out tremendous lumens.

Yes you may have had light burn previously, but keep in mind your plants were seedlings at that stage and they required much less light.

I believe that they are in the stage of veg where you can start lowering your lights. If you're worried I would drop 2-4 inches a day and see how they respond.

I believe you should drop that light down and accelerate growth a bit, I feel like you could have bigger plants at this point. try it and see how it goes.

My light is recommended at 18-24" during veg and 14-16" at flower. My plants are able to handle 10" without any issues, so just give it a shot. I can guarantee you my 600w puts out more lumens/PAR then your 1000w, so I wouldn't worry at all about light burn now

Magnus my 2 "1000w" Leds are currently 11 inches from tallest top for my girls in flower. My seedlings from my two T5 florescent lights are about 4 inches and my clone is roughly 8 inches from my "400w" led. No issues with burn for me so far.

First Grow For Me - So First Journal Also

No no Magnus do not raise the light. I was going to say if anything lower them down a bit more. I know your lights is "1000w" but really it probably is around 300-400w max.

I paid $1400 for my 600w LED from KIND, right now I'm keeping that light 10 inches above my big plant in flower. What I'm saying is that cheap LED light you have will not put out what it claims, sorry but for $150 it will not put out tremendous lumens.

Yes you may have had light burn previously, but keep in mind your plants were seedlings at that stage and they required much less light.

I believe that they are in the stage of veg where you can start lowering your lights. If you're worried I would drop 2-4 inches a day and see how they respond.

I believe you should drop that light down and accelerate growth a bit, I feel like you could have bigger plants at this point. try it and see how it goes.

My light is recommended at 18-24" during veg and 14-16" at flower. My plants are able to handle 10" without any issues, so just give it a shot. I can guarantee you my 600w puts out more lumens/PAR then your 1000w, so I wouldn't worry at all about light burn now

Just lowered them about 6 inches and will lower more as the days bear on. Thanks for this. Anything to get them to grow more. Should I add the 600w led into the tent as well? What'll happen when I have to remove it for the new crop of babies?

You can add it but for now I would dial in that 1000w for the perfect distance and optimal growth. You can add the 600w during the flowering stage to boost bud production. Maybe add as side lighting, all depends. For now just worry about getting that 1000w at an optimal distance

So what does ppm readings affect? I mean, if you've got a high ppm reading, why is that bad and what will it do to your plants? To what part of the plants?

Back
Top Bottom