Magnus8's Coco Coir Big Bud & Pineapple Express, First Grow Ever! Grow Journal

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

Hello All,

Wanted to ask now about ppm and tds readers and such. My ppm meter came in the mail today, and its a tds meter. Is this right? Are they the same thing? I'm afraid I don't know what tds is.

If they are one and the same, then what should I do with a reading of 1560? I'm afraid I don't even know what my ppm should be at this point in their development and such. And what do I do to bring them down to where they should be?

I would appreciate any guidance in this as I've no idea whet to do myself.

Re: Magnus8's - Coco Coir - Big Bud & Pineapple Express - First Grow Ever! - Grow Jou

They are the same Magnus as posted above. TDS or "Total Dissolved Solids" is measured in PPM or "Parts Per Million", either can be referenced and are commonly understood by most. But 1560 is way out of whack. Can you test just the water you're using and report that number please.

PPM and TDS is the same thing, same reading. Your stage of growth you should only be feeding your plants at 400-500ppm, 600 at the most!

You definitely need to add water to your solution to dilute the nutrients otherwise make up a fresh batch.

Keep in mind when starting at 500ppm, over the course of the week or 2, the ppms will increase naturally because your plant will not be able to take up all the nutrients you give it, excess salts and nutrients will leave your root zone and end up in your res. this is why they say when you top up your nutrient solution, to only add 1/4 strength or just straight water.

I would just start a fresh batch and monitor each day. Keep your feed around 400-600ppm, I would go on the lighter side

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Should rule out calibration error first.

That they do, but I don't trust nothing till I prove it up.

Hi All,

I thought I read that ppm for cannabis should be in the 150 range (I think it was 125-150). But I believe that was just water, no nutes.

Magnus, you might try another source of water to test. It could be just a bottle of water from the store. That would at least give you another number to see if the gauge is working (I expect it is).

FelouniousPunk. :peace:

Okay, so my tds meter came in today. Is this the same as a ppm meter, cuz that's what I thought I was buying.

My tds reads at 1550 (is this ppm's?). With a reading that high, what should I do? And what should my plants even be at? This is the water in the reservoir that is used to feed them, btw.

Hi All,

I thought I read that ppm for cannabis should be in the 150 range (I think it was 125-150). But I believe that was just water, no nutes.

Magnus, you might try another source of water to test. It could be just a bottle of water from the store. That would at least give you another number to see if the gauge is working (I expect it is).

FelouniousPunk. :peace:

RO or distilled water (in a perfect world) should read 0ppm. Bottled water would be an example, now it won't read 0 but should be very low, maybe in the teens ppm.
Tap water is treated and will vary slightly, I think fair to say an average range for tap water would be 150-250 ppm. Mine is 200-240 depending on the day I collect it.
Well water is a crap shoot and could be anywhere in ppm counts. Non potable well water high in minerals could easily read 500-1000 ppm.

Sent from deep space using 420 Magazines space phone

Should rule out calibration error first.

How do I rule out a calibration error without another tds meter, though?

EDIT: Probably by testing bottled water or something like RO water or such that would read close to zero. Then if it's reading way high then it's probably a calibration error. Duh -- dork!

Aye!

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom