Mars Hydro Grow Journal TS 3000: Now Growing Original Genetics White Widows, Purple Skunk Mass x Grape Krush Clones & CBD Autos

Actually, autos are a good plan where you are on a tight timeline and I suspect they will do well for you out there.

I have one, it was a freebie, and I started it under my 400w LED and decided last week to let it flower out under the big light in the sky, guessing that it will do more for it in 15-16hrs a day than my light could under 20hrs.

Your plan sounds good to me. With your time restrictions I think inside with the reg seeds. If your auto seeds show up soon I would put them outside. The only problem with outside is the Damm neighbours dog.
I'm not THAT concerned about the dog from afar because the autos will be planted in my raised planters. The plants will be about 2.5 to 3 feet above the ground. I doubt he will climb into them to destroy my new plants.

I hope at least.

Hey, what do you think of my idea of surrounding the seed with straight potting soil at first and letting their roots stretch for the nutrition in my super rich super soil? I'm hoping the starter soil wont then be too rich for the growing plant. I just feel that my soil might be too rich for tiny baby weed plants.

All my best,
~Magnus

I'm not THAT concerned about the dog from afar because the autos will be planted in my raised planters. The plants will be about 2.5 to 3 feet above the ground. I doubt he will climb into them to destroy my new plants.

I hope at least.

Hey, what do you think of my idea of surrounding the seed with straight potting soil at first and letting their roots stretch for the nutrition in my super rich super soil? I'm hoping the starter soil wont then be too rich for the growing plant. I just feel that my soil might be too rich for tiny baby weed plants.

All my best,
~Magnus
I would sprout the seeds first I like the paper towel method and after they have a tap root plant outside like you said.

I would sprout the seeds first I like the paper towel method and after they have a tap root plant outside like you said.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Just sprout the taproots then plant outside.

Hey!

We have liftoff! Or, contrarily, The Eagle has Landed!

(My seeds are showing taproots. And something else...every single one of 'em has secretly whispered in my ear that they, too, are females! Every one of'em told me that. So I'm very pleased...

1590839234667241556726492280940.jpg

15908393837447654386072817354424.jpg

See?? Every single one has begun sprouting a taproot after just 16bhours in the baggie with paper towel.

So please dont think me stupid but I'm going to be asking a shit-ton of questions. I've already had grows but they are always plagued by either bad luck nor bad decisions. I'd really like to change this.

So here is my first question...

I have always waited until the taproot was at least a cm long before planting. Or should I plant them at this stage? Which is better for the plant and for germination? Like I said I want to do right by these plants especially because they were gifted by a very kind member.

2nd question is about soil:

This is the soil I bought, not being able to get ProMix.

15908399933092048836208270472061.jpg

15908400479157478429894813981892.jpg

So with this potting soil that I purchased at the grow store is it okay to plant my seeds into with their delicate taproot. Also, and I guess this is my 3rd question, should I be giving my Remo nutes from the first day they are spotted or wait three weeks like I had originally been taught? I really dont know. My last grow mostly died when I didnt feed nutes the first three weeks of growth. The instructions for Remo nutes says to feed from week one. But like I said I had been taught not to feed until week three. My last grow I discovered I had just planted in entirely peat moss which had zero nutrition for my seedlings and so they almost died. Will this soil give enough nutes to cover the first 3 weeks or should I be feeding them from week one. So that's my 3rd question.

I trust you all to know much better than I on these three questions...

And if I should be feeding from week one...what has to be in soil to enable me not to have to feed until week three - if anything.

All my best,
~Magnus

So with this potting soil that I purchased at the grow store is it okay to plant my seeds into with their delicate taproot. Also, and I guess this is my 3rd question, should I be giving my Remo nutes from the first day they are spotted or wait three weeks like I had originally been taught? I really dont know. My last grow mostly died when I didnt feed nutes the first three weeks of growth. The instructions for Remo nutes says to feed from week one. But like I said I had been taught not to feed until week three. My last grow I discovered I had just planted in entirely peat moss which had zero nutrition for my seedlings and so they almost died. Will this soil give enough nutes to cover the first 3 weeks or should I be feeding them from week one. So that's my 3rd question.
Your potting soil will be just fine for "feeding" the plants for the first 4 weeks or so. That being said, people lately have lost sight of the concept of "fertilizing" the plants instead of just feeding them. There is nothing stopping you from giving your plants extra fertilizer. If you start your plants using a good nutrient program from the beginning, you can achieve growth rates very close to hydro, because that is all they are doing, fertilizing constantly.
Put those delicate taproots down in that soil about an inch deep and they will be fine. Make sure not to overwater them and force those roots to chase the water you give them so they fill up the container. Whoever taught you to be so timid with your nutrients was wrong... you can wait till week 3 to "feed" if you wish... but I chose to give my plants a boost right early on, if I am going to spend good money on fertilizer, I will take full advantage of it. Timid is for growing orchids... these are weeds, and it is up to you to push them to become extraordinary... they don't do it on their own.

... is it true that a soil grow produces plants and harvests that are noticeably smaller than hydro grows? If so, is it extreme enough to really make much of a difference?

Magnus, this will be my second grow and I'm also planning on doing it outside, in soil, rather than repeating last year's greenhouse/grow bag set up. The friend who got me started in this always grows outside in his vegetable garden with no special care to the cannabis. Last year he grew a Critical Mass clone I'd given him (from a commercial clone farm). It grew to about 9 feet tall and produced over 3 pounds of good bud. He consistently gets plants that look like small trees.

I'm going for an in-the-ground grow because of the virus -- we need to put more effort into our vegetable crops and canning so I don't have as much free time for training (which I greatly enjoy) and greenhouse monitoring, watering, etc.

I look forward to following your progress!

And is it true that a soil grow produces plants and harvests that are noticeably smaller than hydro grows? If so, is it extreme enough to really make much of a difference?
Generally speaking, a hydro grow that is supplying fertilizer to the roots 24/7 is going to have an advantage over a soil grow where the nutes are applied one time, taken several days to deplete, and then typically a follow up watering of just plain water is given to clear the soil and use any nutes left over. Without special tricks, the same amount of fertilizer is not in contact with the roots as in a water based hydro grow on a constant basis, and the hydro grow will grow faster as a result.

There are tricks however. I proved to myself that using an additive to my soil called @Vulx, I can dramatically increase the contact of the roots with the soil and nutrients suspended within. My last two Vulx runs in soil closely approximated the growth rates seen in hydro systems.

So is the differences seen between normal non enhanced soil and hydro enough to go hydro over soil? That depends on you really... hydro is much more of a commitment to get up and running and then keep running smoothly, and quite a bit more expensive to run than a soil based run, so it had better have better results. I prefer the zen of the soil garden however, and the ability of a bucket of soil to run itself for a few days while I go to the beach. A hydro grow really ties you down to daily maintenance whereas soil can be considered much more forgiving.

In the end, it comes down to your ability to grow big and powerful plants. Either method will do it, hydro is just a little faster getting you there. Quality wise, when I think of hydro, I think of hydroponic tomatoes at the grocery store, compared to the amazing produce I can grow in my backyard organic garden. This is the difference that makes the decision for me. This evaluation may change as we see what the new vegan fertilizers do in hydro systems, but up until recently, hands down, organically soil grown cannabis was way better than anything else, but it was very hard to compare the quality of a soil bottle fed grow with a hydro one... other than speed, they were mostly identical in quality.

Magnus, this will be my second grow and I'm also planning on doing it outside, in soil, rather than repeating last year's greenhouse/grow bag set up. The friend who got me started in this always grows outside in his vegetable garden with no special care to the cannabis. Last year he grew a Critical Mass clone I'd given him (from a commercial clone farm). It grew to about 9 feet tall and produced over 3 pounds of good bud. He consistently gets plants that look like small trees.

I'm going for an in-the-ground grow because of the virus -- we need to put more effort into our vegetable crops and canning so I don't have as much free time for training (which I greatly enjoy) and greenhouse monitoring, watering, etc.

Hi Simon. Thanks for this info. It helps. And welcome to my grow journal! Great to have you along...

All my best,
~Magnus

Generally speaking, a hydro grow that is supplying fertilizer to the roots 24/7 is going to have an advantage over a soil grow where the nutes are applied one time, taken several days to deplete, and then typically a follow up watering of just plain water is given to clear the soil and use any nutes left over. Without special tricks, the same amount of fertilizer is not in contact with the roots as in a water based hydro grow on a constant basis, and the hydro grow will grow faster as a result.

There are tricks however. I proved to myself that using an additive to my soil called @Vulx, I can dramatically increase the contact of the roots with the soil and nutrients suspended within. My last two Vulx runs in soil closely approximated the growth rates seen in hydro systems.

So is the differences seen between normal non enhanced soil and hydro enough to go hydro over soil? That depends on you really... hydro is much more of a commitment to get up and running and then keep running smoothly, and quite a bit more expensive to run than a soil based run, so it had better have better results. I prefer the zen of the soil garden however, and the ability of a bucket of soil to run itself for a few days while I go to the beach. A hydro grow really ties you down to daily maintenance whereas soil can be considered much more forgiving.

In the end, it comes down to your ability to grow big and powerful plants. Either method will do it, hydro is just a little faster getting you there. Quality wise, when I think of hydro, I think of hydroponic tomatoes at the grocery store, compared to the amazing produce I can grow in my backyard organic garden. This is the difference that makes the decision for me. This evaluation may change as we see what the new vegan fertilizers do in hydro systems, but up until recently, hands down, organically soil grown cannabis was way better than anything else, but it was very hard to compare the quality of a soil bottle fed grow with a hydro one... other than speed, they were mostly identical in quality.
Hi Emilya! First of all thanks for such a complete explanation. I had no idea before why a plant might grow better in hydro. I thought they might but wasnt sure.

And welcome to my little corner of this site. Really glad to have you along...

All my best,
~Magnus

Hey Simon! :ciao:

Do you have a grow journal for this year? I looked at the date of your first entry in the journal in your signature but it was from June2019.

Do you have a more current one? I'd enjoy following along.

This will be my third outside soil grow. I might be of some help and learn along the way.

All my best,
~Magnus

Back
Top Bottom