Medical Grow

Doc
Ty for the advice. Using tap water already. And after reading Cervantes book about deficiencies, I think its a magnesium problem instead. Gonna toss in some Epsom I guess. My hempys are rockin other than a very few yellowing lower leaves with some dark spots. And getting over run with males. Pulled one Monday and two maybes gonna get looked at today. One female out of 4 NL seeds. Probably let one male stay and knock up the lady.
Also, saw some Neptunes Kelp at the local nursery. Is something like this good to toss in occasionally on a CRF charged hempy?

Some pics in random order. Lights on in some, lights off in others.

The only thing I'll point out is the dramatic size difference in the OC+ plants vs the Organic soil plants.

However, in the recent heatwave, I am noticing a bit of nitrogen over feed in a few of the OC+ plants. Nothing bad...but the heat definitely made a change. My high temps were 90, but it held steady at about 87 for a day. Temps are normal now.
IMG_11286.JPG

IMG_11276.JPG

IMG_11265.JPG

IMG_11404.JPG

OC+....thick stems, large, dark green waxy leaves. Huge buds on the way.
IMG_11383.JPG

IMG_11375.JPG

IMG_11363.JPG

IMG_11355.JPG

the tall, lanky ladies are Trainwreck
IMG_11334.JPG

IMG_11322.JPG

IMG_11313.JPG

I'm 4 for 4 on my first try cloning.
IMG_11304.JPG

IMG_11296.JPG

this is where they were 9 days ago:
IMG_11107.JPG

Hey Epic! Welcome to my journal! :welcome:

First, a couple of general things. You can use nothing but OC+ from the get go, in either soil or hempy. I would advise to make sure your room doesn't get too hot, because I know of one grower who may have had some trouble with the OC+ in really hot (high 80's low 90's) rooms.

Setting Sun is almost done with a gorgeous hempy grow....OC+ only, start to finish. It's beautiful.

In soil, it's a no-brainer. Get a decent potting soil, FFOF or Roots will do, mix in the OC+, add water.

Now, the "weekly" mix. It's a micronutrient mix that I got from the Mittleider folks....links are in this journal and others of mine. They apply it with fertilizer once a week in vegetable gardens. I don't yet know how often I'll have to apply it.....maybe weekly, maybe less.

This micro-mix (or another micronute mix, like MICROMIX from Scotts) would work in Hempy's....but then OC+ and tap water also works well. I'd advise just to have some on hand in case it's needed. We're talking CHEAP.

I've got some pots running...the ones you see pictures of....that are FFOF, amended with my preplant and micro mixes, and OC+. They're going to get water only.....except I'll give some Snowstorm and mollasses.

I've got some others ready to go where the bottom half of the pot is going to be Power Flower, and the top half FFOF and/or a Coco based organic soil. I won't add any OC+ until about week 4 or 5 of flower and only then if they need it. I'll also be adding molasses to these.

Again, these are also "just add water." (except for molasses when I use it.)

So, you have two choices:

The ultimate stonerproof method, that requires consistent effort to screw up....

or

The stonerproof method that allows for several major screwups before you hurt it?

The ultimate would be a hempy bucket with OC+ or Dynamite....both quality CRF's. OC+ has better micros.

The other method would be soil and OC+.

Both will shock you with how well they work.

SOLD, Thanks for doing this. Sick of all the attention to detail. Going to go for it and do seeds from 12/12. Have some og kush bag seeds that are short and produce couch lock. So FFOF and OC+, in 1.5 gallon bags it is. Thanks Doc for making my life easier!

wct

The only thing I'll point out is the dramatic size difference in the OC+ plants vs the Organic soil plants.

Continuing our conversation from the OC+ thread.

So do you intend to test Organic and OC+ together?

That's the idea behind the Australian product that isn't available here. The organic matter isn't for nutrients.

# Original Osmocote® controlled release granules release nutrients when plants need them most for up to 6 months.
# Added organic matter, such as composted manure, blood and bone, seaweed and fish, organically enrich the soil and encourage beneficial microbial and earthworm activity.

My question, is it the microbial activity that leads to the exquisite taste?

I'm thinking of a mix based on the above principals.

Espoma Citrus-Tone (organic matter + beneficial microbes) / OC+ / Kelp meal / Gypsum / 70% Coir / 30% Perlite

Growing in coir and perlite over the last couple of years, I've had one only crop with that truly exquisite taste. Everything else comes out smooth, but not flavorful. Blue Haze seeds from the 'Dam and FloraNova Bloom. Nothing else - and no flush. The flavor was mindblowing, even with no cure. The Flora Nova contains the small amount of humic acid derived from leonardite. Is that enough to make such a big difference? It seems kind of far fetched. Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing the holy grail. I've grown the Blue Haze a few times since and it's never tasted as good. I've been very careful about not over feeding.

Continuing our conversation from the OC+ thread.

So do you intend to test Organic and OC+ together?

That's the idea behind the Australian product that isn't available here. The organic matter isn't for nutrients.

My question, is it the microbial activity that leads to the exquisite taste?

I'm thinking of a mix based on the above principals.

Espoma Citrus-Tone (organic matter + beneficial microbes) / OC+ / Kelp meal / Gypsum / 70% Coir / 30% Perlite

Growing in coir and perlite over the last couple of years, I've had one only crop with that truly exquisite taste. Everything else comes out smooth, but not flavorful. Blue Haze seeds from the 'Dam and FloraNova Bloom. Nothing else - and no flush. The flavor was mindblowing, even with no cure. The Flora Nova contains the small amount of humic acid derived from leonardite. Is that enough to make such a big difference? It seems kind of far fetched. Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing the holy grail. I've grown the Blue Haze a few times since and it's never tasted as good. I've been very careful about not over feeding.

The stuff I grew in perlite was very smooth to smoke. Potency is just fine, taste is OK....but I'd say the overwhelming characteristic of it was lack of taste and smell, compared to really good soil weed. I fully intend to experiment with OC+ and organic soil.

Will do SS. Going to do a journal. Need all the help i can get.

General question for anyone. Is the best formula for Ganja
3-1-3.

There is quite a bit of debate on this topic, but I found a few studies, which I posted somewhere that showed 3-1-2 being optimal.

One organic grower I respect says 3-1-2 for veg.....2-1-3 for bloom.

I'm not sure it's going to matter much.....3-3-3 would probably be fine. It's the 2-40-18 and the 2-8-12 formulas that should be avoided.

Leaves+roots=flowers.

I've finally caught up on all your journals Doc. It took less time to read Gone with the Wind :)

I've learned so much. Thanks to you and others on here I'm sure I've saved myself tons of money and years of aggravation. I was seriously considering not growing again after my current misadventures. It's been constant worrying and tweaking and sickly plants.

I now feel confident that I can do this... grow great smoke with cfl's, crf's and for now perlite. I'm in!

Doc, at the risk of making hempy instructions overly complicated, I'd like to add the following:

The damn hole should be the size of a damn pencil.

Damn Hole FAQ's:

1 - Are more holes better? No
2 - Is a bigger hole better? No
3 - Would a couple of smaller holes be better? No
4 - Does it matter if it's a #2 or #3 pencil? No

Ok that should cover it.

DocBud said:
while I certainly respect your right to have any opinion you wish....do you have anything to back up that opinion, other than anecdote?

Just experience I suppose.. I am not saying that a good base N-P-K will not do the job. Seems to me that certain strains need that little something extra that a base N-P-K might lack.

I looked for those studies that you are referring to Doc, w/ no luck.

If it would not be to much trouble, could you possibly post them again?

Your room is looking stellar. I just did a little research on the OC+. Needles to say it has my curiosity perked.

Keep up the good work.

I've finally caught up on all your journals Doc. It took less time to read Gone with the Wind :)

I've learned so much. Thanks to you and others on here I'm sure I've saved myself tons of money and years of aggravation. I was seriously considering not growing again after my current misadventures. It's been constant worrying and tweaking and sickly plants.

I now feel confident that I can do this... grow great smoke with cfl's, crf's and for now perlite. I'm in!

thanks bro! Yes, you certainly can do this! You can do it very well too. Just follow the stoner proof directions:

1.)environment
2.)CRF
3.)pH and Total Alkalinity (very important in perlite, not so important in soil)
4.)Hempy

You keep your environment in check, use OC+ or Dynamite, decent water, pH'd to 6ish, and simple hempy set up.....you're good.

Doc, at the risk of making hempy instructions overly complicated, I'd like to add the following:

The damn hole should be the size of a damn pencil.

Damn Hole FAQ's:

1 - Are more holes better? No
2 - Is a bigger hole better? No
3 - Would a couple of smaller holes be better? No
4 - Does it matter if it's a #2 or #3 pencil? No

Ok that should cover it.

hempy is the only growing method where the FAQ is 3 times longer than the actual growing manual! :tokin:

Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comments. Be sure to let me know when you get up and running....I can't wait to see what you turn out.

Back
Top Bottom