Mmmmick HGL 126W Demo SCROG 4 x Super Skunk x Grape Crush

Re: Mmmmick HGL 126W Demo SCROG 4xSuper Skunk x Grape Crush

Lots of good info here guys thanks. Jeff do you have a journal yet?

Hi BlueDog,

I haven't started a journal yet, as I had been a lurker for the last year around here and other sites. I was worried about getting sucked into the vortex that social media can sometimes become. I can easlily get consumed, and be on here for hours, if I am not careful!

I have jumped into the 420 world in mid-grow, so I thought I would wait until the next one, to post a journal. I have posted a couple a pics in the gallery of my current grow, just to get started!

I plan to put seeds into the ground at the end of Feb, do a week of germ, and a week of sprout, then get the show started with 4 weeks veg (will then load all of the pre-shots, room, sprout, etc.) Then have a 10 week flower program, with the ability to be shortened by 2 weeks, if required.

Question to anyone? Is it okay to put a bonus grow into a journal? My next grow will be mainly a sog, but I will be also doing a scrog. I want to tie them together, as I can get detailed and involved, and I am worried about maintaining both threads to my standards, at the same time.

Suggestions?

Hope to talk soon BlueDog,

Happy Growing!
:420:

Sounds good Jeff. You can pretty much do anything you want with your journal, whatever works best for you. I'll check out your pics when I get a chance... take care!

Hi Mmmmick,

Yes, tweaking can me the most fun part for some, but can be a hand-full for others. Hopefully some more insight to the nute needs, might soon be shed?!

I had mentioned biology before, and here is my application. MJ, pushed as we do indoors, closely resembles the intense demands placed on an olympic athlete, for instance. The body needs huge amounts of protein (N), reasonable amounts of fat (P), and the highest amounts needed are quality carbs (K). In addition, you need the vitamins (ca, B1, aminos, etc.) and minerals (mg, zn, su, mn, etc.) to make the body run at maximum effeciency. These are required to build, maintain, and perform at a high level. Sounds very similar to mj! As we age, the need for vitamins and minerals diminish, but the protein (N), fat (P), and carb (K), and still required in the high/low/high ratios, with exercise, etc. to maintain old age health (end of flowering cycle).

I hope to prove simplicity in high/low/high (N/P/K) for full cycle, and tapered vits/mins through the cycle. Hope to not eat my own words later............:reading420magazine:

I have no idea about the seeds? It was from 1 harvest of each strain, and hasn't happened again. I don't know the grower, but I would say that the skills are not up to intensional feminizing. The first 5 CD's in the first grow were all the same quality, and produced amost the same quantity as well. I planned to keep a CD mother of the the 13 plants this round, but got lazy after confirming females, I didn't want to flip it back, plus I ended up needing the space. I was also getting greedy, wanting to keep and CD and MK mother plant (big ambitions.........takes lots of space).

The journal will be for 5 CD, and 5 MK, and I will keep a MK for a mother, to clone for later grows. I want to max out growth in soil, with organics. I plan to use 10 gal. smart pots, just as a preview. Used properly, they should grow some huge plants. The goal is to grow a plant after 4 weeks veg, the size of one grown for 8 weeks veg (again lofty ambitions)!

I think you might be right with the mg. Hope it saves, or at least halts the spread. I think mine is N. I can't save the affected, but hopefull I can salvage the rest from suffering!

Looking forward to some updated pics when the time is right.

Cheers,
and happy scrogging!:bong:

The forgiving nature of mj allows a wide range of grow styles to succeed (ie:produce acceptable bud) with or without the tweaks. I'm interested on seeing what you have in mind.
Most non-autoflowering strains require 7-8 weeks to mature from seed. Can mj be forced to mature earlier?
I don't know what impact early flowering has on these plants. If they just continue to grow until mature enough to show sex in a normal timeframe, it might be more productive to keep the veg schedule going as usual.
I shouldn't read ahead into a grow I know nothing of. Just curious, but i can wait for your journal with a more complete picture of your methods. Should be an interesting run.

Well, regardless how they were pollinated 20/20 females is great. 10 gallon bags should give you room for some roots, heheh. I know the space constraints can be a problem. I'm in the process of cleaning up a lot of extra's. Luckily I have a friend who can make room for a few strains. I don't need more than 2 to 4 plants at a time.

Good luck finding the fix and in your current and future grows.

The forgiving nature of mj allows a wide range of grow styles to succeed (ie:produce acceptable bud) with or without the tweaks. I'm interested on seeing what you have in mind.
Most non-autoflowering strains require 7-8 weeks to mature from seed. Can mj be forced to mature earlier?
I don't know what impact early flowering has on these plants. If they just continue to grow until mature enough to show sex in a normal timeframe, it might be more productive to keep the veg schedule going as usual.
I shouldn't read ahead into a grow I know nothing of. Just curious, but i can wait for your journal with a more complete picture of your methods. Should be an interesting run.

Well, regardless how they were pollinated 20/20 females is great. 10 gallon bags should give you room for some roots, heheh. I know the space constraints can be a problem. I'm in the process of cleaning up a lot of extra's. Luckily I have a friend who can make room for a few strains. I don't need more than 2 to 4 plants at a time.

Good luck finding the fix and in your current and future grows.

Hi Mmmmick,

I agree that many different formulas work, as testified by the growers we see here, and else where. The amount of nutes available, is kind of mind blowing! I just hope to prove that maybe there is an extra tweak that can be used by anyone, and not so much plant strain specific. There is a thread on this site that made me a 100% organic grower, and I think it can teach anyone, at least something. If your interested, check it out.

Growers Forums > Indoor Soil Cultivation
A top nutrient study: Which is the best? Produces most

I believe that you can speed up the veg process, and still have huge flower potential. My current run was germed from seed, with 1 week sprout (light nutes), and 4 weeks veg full nutes(total 35 days). They began flower at approx. 2 feet, and are now mid-week 6 flower, and all around 4' for the CD, and 3' for the MK. The pics I have were high res, but I will try to resize, and post in my gallery for a week by week look.

Thanks for the wishes for recovery. I have recently discovered the other culprit. They have reached root boundness at the end of week 5 flower (just pulled a plant to check). Its too late to replant now in week 6, with 3 weeks left.

I look forward to the end of your cycle. Keep up the beautiful grow!

:welldone:

....quick heads up. Put those pics in the gallery. Hadn't looked at them in a bit. Check out the growth in the first 2 weeks........

Cheers!

(anyway to choose the order of pics in the gallery? Loaded them in the order I wanted them to come up, but it changes when you look at them)

Hi Mmmmick,

I agree that many different formulas work, as testified by the growers we see here, and else where. The amount of nutes available, is kind of mind blowing! I just hope to prove that maybe there is an extra tweak that can be used by anyone, and not so much plant strain specific. There is a thread on this site that made me a 100% organic grower, and I think it can teach anyone, at least something. If your interested, check it out.

Growers Forums > Indoor Soil Cultivation
A top nutrient study: Which is the best? Produces most

I believe that you can speed up the veg process, and still have huge flower potential. My current run was germed from seed, with 1 week sprout (light nutes), and 4 weeks veg full nutes(total 35 days). They began flower at approx. 2 feet, and are now mid-week 6 flower, and all around 4' for the CD, and 3' for the MK. The pics I have were high res, but I will try to resize, and post in my gallery for a week by week look.

Thanks for the wishes for recovery. I have recently discovered the other culprit. They have reached root boundness at the end of week 5 flower (just pulled a plant to check). Its too late to replant now in week 6, with 3 weeks left.

I look forward to the end of your cycle. Keep up the beautiful grow!

:welldone:

Your gallery looks great. Those plants are lovin all that light and whatever you're feeding them. :thumb: fantastic growth rate!
Well done.:welldone:

I'll definitely sub your journal to get greater detail on your methods. Seems there will be some very interesting goings on.
Not surprised they're outgrowing their pots. not the best time, though.:wood:

click on " My Photos" when viewing your gallery and scroll down to "Display options". Other than that I'm not sure.

thanks jeff

Hi Mmmmick,

Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement! Very much looking forward to posting a journal now!

I will turn this back to your, and watch the conclusion of your grow as it rockets toward the harvest! I will be watching..................

Good grow vibes to you Mmmmick!

Jeff

You're welcome jeff, should be an interesting journal.

Thank you, I've got another 3 weeks or so I figure.

Monday was Day 54 12/12. Sorry I'm off a couple of days on posting the update.

Buds have just started to swell, I was getting a little anxious about that as they had stalled for a week or so.

Added 1/2 ml of SuperThrive to their feeding over the weekend to try to kickstart them. It may have worked, or they may have just been ready to continue developement on their own. Nutes are 50% Botanicare Pure Blend Pro flower formula plus Cal/Mag and 1 tsp molasses.

Since the center of the screen experienced a little damage due to faster nute uptake under stronger light than the edges, I've noticed a few spots of Powdery Mildew.
RH is under 48% and there is good airflow over the scrog so I guess I've got a very persistent strain of mildew.

I bought a Germ Guardian UVC room air purifier and a UVC wand as well, to help with mildew/mold issues. I don't plan to use the wand on infected plants yet because I haven't found an answer as to whether UVC will damage plants or resin glands under normal exposure.(20 secs)
The room air purifier is in action now so I should be able to get control of the pm. The wand can be used on surfaces in the grow room until I find an answer to impact on plant life. Anybody interested in the UVC devices sold by Germ Guardian should buy direct from the manufacturer. 60-70 bucks cheaper than Costco or Canadian Tire and they also sell refurbished units.

IMG_37711.JPG

IMG_37592.JPG

IMG_37922.JPG

Hi Mmmmick,

Just wanted to touch base with you, update, and pass something along.
I noticed that the yellowing on yours is still present, and my own issues are still present (back a little bit in the posts). I have finally pinned mine down, and it might be yours too!

I have been using Promix, and most of the time added to the mix (dolomite, perlite, epsom salts, etc.) This time I did not, and went stock for this grow with the soil (and used BX - 10%-15% more peat). This run went very heavy with organics, and the transplant to 5g pots was in veg (3rd week). After 6 weeks in the 5g pots, with the nutrient solution adjusted to 6.3-6.5 ph, the peat began to breakdown, and has lowered the soil ph to 5.5 ish. The deficiencies that started slowly, were actually lockout issues, slowly building up. The added nutes to adjust at the beginning, obviously helped to sustain the lockout issues, and fixed nothing!

I looked to see if you used Promix, and you have for this grow. You listed dolomite, but I don't know if you added it, or just noted it was added to the mix by the manufacturer? If you soil ph has even dropped to 6, your mg and ca, plus k will be not being absorbed properly. (tested any runoff?)

I will be watering this time with plain 7.0 ph water, with some dolomite to stabilize. It might be too late, but I have 10 days left, so I have to try to get as much out of this run as I can! I will be adding dolomite, epsom, and perlite to the next batch, you can be sure of that!

Looking forward to the end! Good work Mmmmick!

:tokin:

PS - As an ex hobby fish person, I had discus, which love 5.5/6 ph water. To maintain this ph, I used to put peat moss in little bags in the filter, to make the water more acidic. It usually worked after 5-7 days or so, and lasted several months!

Hi Jeff.

I add dolomite to the mix when potting but there was also some in this bag of pro-mix. Also blood/bonemeal sheep manure and hi P bat guano. I check my runoff PH now and then and it's still around 6.3. I could side dress the bags with more dolomite but it's late in the grow to get any benefit from it, too slow acting. Maybe if it's crushed to a powder rather than granules, it might still beneift the plants.

My yellowing is a bit worse but still only in the center of the screen. Upped the nutes to 50% and Cal/Mag now at a full dose but I've never been able to recover leaves that started to fade, so I doubt that'll change this time.
I was thinking of doing a flush just in case there's a lockout issue, but the problem is only under the bright spot cast by this unit. I would expect a lockout to hit the plant at the same point on most branches,not just the branches in the center but I suppose it's possible it would show faster on the more active parts of the plant. I think I'll flush them a little later today anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts for consideration Jeff, good luck with your fix. Any new pics in your gallery?

Hi Mmmmick,

No new pics. I am mad at my plants for the moment! It will pass.........
First time growing Master, and it kind of caused my hesitation. It took a long time to show the lockout. It did a good job in fooling me for a while, and probably cost me 20% on harvest. Thats the name of the game with mj though, isn't it...............can you say "learning curve"?! Just when you think you got it dialed in...........

Remember, mg can be locked out in some instances under 6.5 ph. Consider this, center plants process at a highter rate due to the more intense photo period, using up more nutes (in soil and in reserve, if needed). Slight lockout occuring, causing center plants to use up reserves faster causing yellowing. Outer plants are using reserves slower, so not showing mg deficiency. Added mg is not being absorbed (slight lockout), as the leaves are continuing to yellow. Maybe some crushed dolomite (might help a little) with epsom salts for mg. Just a suggestion...............

I am now looking forward to the next grow, to apply what I've learned this time!

I look forward to seeing what you try, or don't try, and how it translates.

Good luck Mmmmick!

:morenutes:

PS - even a slight lockout, can render the added mg, to be not absorbed, which can contribute to the lockout cycle.

I understand the lack of pics. I've had some ugly plants over my short growing history. Initially didn't want to post them but I was running a journal so I decided to post the good and the bad. Maybe somebody can avoid my mistakes when they see how nasty the plants can look so quickly.

I agree, the lockout is likely to show sooner in the more active parts of the plant.After I flush I'll add a little dolomite crushed as a top/side dressing and up my ph a couple of tenths for a few feedings. They're getting Cal/Mag at 100%, should cover the mg. These girls shouldn't need too many more feeds anyway but it can't hurt to try to get a little better finish.

I learn a little something every time, sooner or later I'll get it figured out.

Good luck.

High Mick, is the yellowing effecting the growth? Hard to tell from the pics, but the canopy still looks pretty good.

I just had some plants go from pot green to a lime color. I hit them with a couple of cal/mag foliar sprays, and they seem to be greening back up. I figured I'd bypass the roots :) Could be a coincidence w/ something else, but may be worth a shot?

High Horse, how're things?
Thanks
They were stalled but started up again, same in the other screen, so I don't know if it was due to this issue. Could be.

I've had a couple of spots of PM so I'm trying to minimize any foliar action, but I gave them a controlled CalMag spray just before their last feeding. Thats a royal pain even in a small scrog, but I kept the buds out it pretty much. Then I had to follow up with a peroxide spray to keep the pm down.
I doubt those leaves would recover anyway. My Serenade is still 2 weeks away and I need it last week, lol. Appreciate the suggestion.

I got the RAYS now. UV-c treatment :cheer::).

Between the air treatment, the UV-c wand and filtered intake, all I have to is ........scrub the whole room down.
ouch

Monday was Day 54 12/12. Sorry I'm off a couple of days on posting the update.

Buds have just started to swell, I was getting a little anxious about that as they had stalled for a week or so.

Added 1/2 ml of SuperThrive to their feeding over the weekend to try to kickstart them. It may have worked, or they may have just been ready to continue developement on their own. Nutes are 50% Botanicare Pure Blend Pro flower formula plus Cal/Mag and 1 tsp molasses.

Since the center of the screen experienced a little damage due to faster nute uptake under stronger light than the edges, I've noticed a few spots of Powdery Mildew.
RH is under 48% and there is good airflow over the scrog so I guess I've got a very persistent strain of mildew.

I bought a Germ Guardian UVC room air purifier and a UVC wand as well, to help with mildew/mold issues. I don't plan to use the wand on infected plants yet because I haven't found an answer as to whether UVC will damage plants or resin glands under normal exposure.(20 secs)
The room air purifier is in action now so I should be able to get control of the pm. The wand can be used on surfaces in the grow room until I find an answer to impact on plant life. Anybody interested in the UVC devices sold by Germ Guardian should buy direct from the manufacturer. 60-70 bucks cheaper than Costco or Canadian Tire and they also sell refurbished units.

IMG_37711.JPG

IMG_37592.JPG

IMG_37922.JPG

Sucks about the mildew man, killer looking buds though :goodluck:

Thanks sisco. I'll beat the pm sooner or later.

Thanks sisco. I'll beat the pm sooner or later.

I miss a few days and look what happened. Sounds like your on top of it tho.
Can anyone tell me why this happens so late in a grow? You'll get it back to health soon knowing you. Sending healthy vibes to you friend!
:high-five:

Hi OMM, good to see you making the rounds again.

I've been diligent, too many issues last round to ignore anything, so I caught it early. I'm not sure why pm seems to show up late in the grow but I've kept RH under 48% and still have a few spots. After the fading took place in the center of this scrog, the pm started to pop up in a few spots. Stressed plants are more susceptible, apparently.

I was proactive though and already had my UV-c treatment on the way. It's currently treating the air in my grow and I should finally have Serenade on hand by the weekend of the 12th. I think I can keep it under control.
Also bought a couple of cigar humidor RH gauges that can go in my drying box and jars so I hope to be more on top of PM/Mold in general.

:cheer:wow this journal has been a education, i' m about to start a similar scrog, with 4 purple wrecks that are thick i've got 2 airfilters one for the air intake over 250 cfm's and one in the (5x5) tent, my rh is always in the 60's, do i need to improve my room air flow, maybe up to 500 cfm, i could use the two air filters for the intake and i have 2 6" inline fans (250 cfm each) or out take, again great journal, i'm about to start mine and this website is way ahead of the rest

Back
Top Bottom