Mmmmick HGL 126W Demo SCROG 4 x Super Skunk x Grape Crush

Re: Mmmmick HGL 126W Demo SCROG 4xSuper Skunk x Grape Crush

Hi jay low, thank you. I guess I've thrashed a few of the more common problems that tend to haunt our gardens. Good to know it's helpful to others.

Sounds like your airflow should be fine unless you fill the room with plants.
I keep positive pressure in my room (exhaust running slower than intake) so there is no household air bleeding into the grow area. I store firewood in my basement and there are bound to be nasty spores coming off that. If your household air is good you shouldn't need to concern yourself over positive pressure in the grow, necessarily, but it's important to have good air movement over the plants, particularly in scrog as the canopy can get very thick and provide lots of nooks and crannies for mold/mildew to hide in.
I've gotten in the habit of checking the canopy frequently and I reposition leaves as I check. Hopefully that gives less opportunity for the nasties to take hold. It's a little tricky to do this gently enough that the buds don't get manhandled but that gentle touch will come in time.

As far as filtering your intake air, I just use a piece of a furnace air filter designed to catch allergens, pollen etc. This arrangement provides very little restriction to airflow and is quite inexpensive.

RH at 60 might be borderline. If you've had a mildew or mold issue in the past you might need to take steps to reduce RH. I've had mine below 48% for months but still found a few spots of Powdery Mildew, probably resulting from previous infections that weren't cleaned up well enough.

The Purple Wreck is one I plan to try at some point, good luck with them. Are you planning to run a journal?

Hey Mmmmick!

My RH has been super low this whole grow, it's never gotten above 40 and has usually been around 20. Even for the clones although I misted them.

A few weeks ago I finally broke down and got two humidifiers, one for each room, that raise it to 35-40.

However today I removed the one in the flower room. The plants are doing awesome and I don't want to risk any mold or mildew.

That's a long way of setting up my question, which is why do guys flower at 45-55 rh? Do you think I've hurt my grow or yield or quality with such low rh? I can't speak to the quality yet but I love how the plants look.

So unless I'm missing something, and I'm far from an expert, I'm going to keep the flower room at 20-30rh for my grows if I can.

ps I now have 5 hygrometers and they all more or less agree with each other so it's not a faulty reading, rh really has been that low.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Hey Blue.

I believe I read that 40-50% RH was a good range for flowering. Probably in Cervantes Grow Bible but I'm not sure. I know that RH under 50% is supposed to be good insurance against mold and PM, but it didn't keep it from showing on these plants.
Super low RH is supposed to be able to cause the plants to shut down, same with very high RH. I've never had RH below 40, my dehumidifer shuts off at 45%, so I'm only repeating what I've read.(somewhere other than the Grow Bible)
I noticed that a lot of your buds are foxtailing or growing irregular shapes. Not that they look bad or anything. I think they all look great. But I know heat can cause foxtailing and it's possible that out of range RH might do the same. I have no idea if it affects potency in a good or bad way (or at all) or perhaps causes more trichage due to a low level of stress generated by the humidity level.

If you can get your RH into the mid 30's with humidifiers it might be best to do so. Should be safe from mold or mildew and it might help reduce the foxtailing. Sorry I don't have any solid info on this problem. I've been fighting to get RH down and keep it there.

That's all I've got, just surmising based on a few loose facts that may not be valid. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with real knowledge on the subject.

I think it was your thread that linked the hygrometers on ebay. The cigar humidor type. I picked up a couple of them to help in drying my crop with a little better control.
Not here yet but they look just the ticket.

Very interesting question, my friend. I tried to rep for it but I gotta spread it first I guess.

Mmmmick you're going to love those hygrometers. I stole the link from Setting Sun's grow but I think IrishBoy is the finder. Best surprise was they come with a nickle-cadmium battery ready to go.

Coincidentally I think the foxtailing or whatever it is, and I think it's just more bud growth, started after I got the humdifier.

What I think is going on is that the OC+ is still feeding them so they're still growing. Conventional grows start a flush 2 weeks before they think she'll be done and basically starve her, so at the end of 2 weeks she's done. No food for any more growth.

Keep in mind it's entirely possible I'm totally wrong lol! But I don't think it's foxtailing cause I had it in my last grow and this is not like that. That time lots of new leaves started growing from the tips of the colas.

RH is up right now atmospherically so the room is around 33. If it gets below that I'll put the humdifier back in.

What worries me the most is that it's a mist, and could maybe consistently keep a few leaves moist enough for pm. After my last mess I'm totally paranoid about bud rot.

They look pretty slick, I love that they'll fit in my jars.

Could be normal for your strains, I'm just trying to come up with something logical based on my limited experience.
My last grow had two plants that foxtailed from the heat and they just kept running. Yours aren't doing that.
I don't know why we call them foxtails, everybody does, but foxtails are actually long colas. Then again, what we call pistils are actually stigmas.:tokin:

You know, thats one of the reasons I don't think OC+ is the best plan for certain grows/growers. It lasts for 6 months (from my limited reading on the subject)in a grow that will usually only go four or less. Keeps feeding beyond the time we would normally stop, which means flushing is not as effective, if at all, and good money gets tossed when the grow is over because the OC+ still has usable nutes that won't get used. thats not to say that it's not great for growers in the right circumstances, but I'm still trying to get my head around plant needs and if I used OC+, I'd never really see what I need to see to understand the nute requirements of these plants.

You're probably right. I find many of my theories aren't valid, but I still try to formulate them as a means of trying to understand whatever it is I'm considering.

I'd be willing to live with 33% to finish this grow without further spots of PM. Thats not much lower than the accepted range anyway. Good point about pockets of humidity presenting a possible problem.

I've got Serenade on the way, the weekend of the 12th. If you've had bud rot that stuff should eliminate it. Normally not available in Canada unless licensed but i found someone who would help me out. Goodbye mold and PM issues once that's in my closet.

I'm really excited tonight if you can't tell lol.

I was trimming back fan leaves on the bk today because I could finally get at her in the back corner. She's basically been just a mass of fan leaves covering her like a fur coat all grow. I could't really make our her cola much less the other growth. So anyhow it was so dense I snipped a small branch and have been smoking it up tonight. And this is the most stoned I've been since I started smoking my own last summer. So I'm starting to really believe I can grow some primo smoke:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Until pot is more legal I don't think we'll ever have definitive answers to some of this stuff, it's just not that economical to run a zillion tests to find optimal conditions the way we all grow now. Someone discovers that X works and soon everyone is doing X, even if Y and Z would have also worked.

I think OC+ goes 4 mos but it could be 6, I'll have to check because I've been wondering if I'll run out. Another thing I don't know is what happens if you add too much, does that extend the life of the product? Supposedly ppm's are never above 300 with it's membranes.

I love it cause I'm all into low maintenance and my propensity to overfeed and overreact. I'll praise it to anyone who asks but never push it on you. I don't have the best sense of taste or smell but even on these quick dried test buds there's no nute taste and it's very smooth. And it's so cheap if some goes to waste I don't care, although I reuse the perlite with the prills. I've grown 18 plants and used about half the bottle, so that's .50 per plant. And I apply about 2x the recommended dose. Can you tell I like it lol!

:peace:

heheh, thats what I like to hear, because I'm thinking I need to run about 4 different kushes. Got a reload on my Afghani Hindu Kush beans which didn't take the first time and I've had my eye on Violator Kush and Master kush. Congrats Blue, you've got the will to do it, you just needed a couple of dry runs to get things dialled. Awesome to be able to get blasted on your one crop.:thumb:

Yeah, we all work with different conditions anyway s what works for me might be useless to you. But I'm all for growing with whatever style suits ya. I've considered trying Botanicares TRF if it's still actually available and probably will at some point.
The cost certainly isn't an issue and when you come right down to it many of us overwater to the point of runoff anyway so who can say we aren't wasting nutes if we don't use OC+. I thought I read 6 but it may well be 4 months, I didn't research it in depth or anything.
OMM swears by it too and he's had beautiful results with it, as have most growers that have had OC+ in the mix. I just feel that I need to get control of my nuting first so I can develope a feel for the plants needs. I don't feel that my buds are more pure without it or anything like that.

heheh yah I'm kind getting the feeling you like it, lol.and why not, your girls look awesome.:cheer:

Mmmmick the first time I checked trichs they were kind of sparse on all of them, I did the BK last and holy shit the entire leaf sample was coated with clear well developed trichs without the heads. And that was easily a month ago. They're still mostly clear but have their heads now. I'm serious these buds grew mostly in shade, her fan leaves totally covered them up. If I hadn't trimmed back the fans they'd still be buried. She's got a week or more left for sure. I've given up guessing when they'll be done. Hope I don't 'sample' all of it before they finish lol!

The BK was definitely wearing lots of leaf. Do you process worthwhile trim or dispose of it?

Now that you can see all that bud it's going to be even harder to wait, heheh. Worth the wait I'm sure.

Speaking of samples, hows that taster holding up? If you sample it all before they're finished, you may have consumption issues.:)

The BK was definitely wearing lots of leaf. Do you process worthwhile trim or dispose of it?

Now that you can see all that bud it's going to be even harder to wait, heheh. Worth the wait I'm sure.

Speaking of samples, hows that taster holding up? If you sample it all before they're finished, you may have consumption issues.:)

Hey Mmmmick! I thought it was my duty to check again this morning to make sure I wasn't dreaming and I wasn't!!!!!

Wow I love this high it's totally clean.

In the interests of science I then harvested the ripest looking bud I could find, an ak48. 1/2 z freshly cut.

I'd have to smoke at least 6 z's in 3 weeks to smoke it all before harvest bwaaaaahahaha. Even I can't touch that. But no way I'm going back to my old dreck now.

If I had "I Feel Good' by the hardest workin' man in rock 'n roll I'd be blasting it right now:cheer::cheer::cheer:

heheh, good that you jump right into your work so early.:)

You are nailing this grow, my friend. If I wanted a 1/2 oz taster, I'd have to take half a plant, lol. If course, as long as it's for science the sacrifice is worthwhile.:tokin:

Thanks Mmmmick this is all really exciting. Tonight I'm really buzzed on the ak48.

The stuff I've been smoking from my first grow didn't get me very high, and smoking more just kind of slowed me down and eventually give me a slight headache. And that's been since last July. I was bracing myself for more of the same but this is already way better.

Did you check out that link? I really want to harvest at the absolute peak but I'm still not too sure I'll know it when I see it if that makes any sense. And I've read that if you wait too long that's not good either. I guess for something like this there's just nothing like experience, seeing them at the end over and over and harvesting at different times.

I thought that video of the cannabis cup awards was really interesting, mostly clear trichs on the 2nd place winner.

Anyhow I'm rambling hope all is going well up north. :peace:

heheh, I think you'll find that can grow on you. :cheer:

Luckily my previous crops had decent to good potency, though they were screwed up in various ways, they've all been worth smoking.

But you're giant steps past headache inducing smoke now, brother.:bravo:

Yeah I had a look, thanks, he makes a good case. And he does put emphasis on swelling, etc. It's a good summary of the signs of ripening.
I wouldn't go quite so far until I knew the strain, but everybody likes what they like. I do agree that many chop too early, but curing ambers them up a significant %. I'd suggest leaving a good branch on them when you chop and, as suggested in that thread, letting it go until you can't stand it. You'll have your crop and also a good sample for comparison, without waiting for another complete grow.
Some buds will probably be less mature when you chop, so you will have three stages of developement to sample from one grow if you keep them sorted out.
If you feel you lost something in the bud that went long you won't have an entire crop affected.

That vid leaves open the question: How much better would it have been if ambered up? heheh Or how different, because it might be better for some at an earlier or later stage.

Gotta play some to get answers that matter to the individual grower/smoker. A rewarding quest.:)

PM sucks. It spreads fast too. I've been keeping my room at 35-40% RH, and high temp of 78. I found some last flip, but since I've took the carpet out the room and covered the floor with white plastic. I used some stuff called orgaicied or something along with a spraying of neem mixed in and I haven't seen anymore yet. I tried a milk and even vinegar mix. It's hard to get rid of. PH levels can kill PM. If you have atleast 3-4 weeks left in flower, serenade might help. But ever time I found fresh PM it always started where the air flow was the least. I always wanted to try scrog but till I get PM and mites gone 100% I think I'll stay with pots I can move around and spray. I've alternated sprayed with neem and orgaicide every 10 days till 2-3 weeks into flowering. Seems to be working for me. I seen OC in a post. I've shy ed from trying any time released fert's. I know I've grown some hella plants in MG. I use that on my outsiders alot. Saved me a arm and leg in the greenhouse. Just have to flush every now and then. All in all looks great and hope you Keep em Green

Hi Norcali. It's persistent, no question. I've had a few spots but it's not like it's showing up everywhere. Like you said, it's usually hiding under a clump of leaves or somewhere along that line. I take a grope through the canopy every couple of days to move things around and check for spots, hope to stay ahead of it that way.

I try not to use neem as I'd read once you start you have to stick with it because it strips the waxy coating off the leaves, so they no longer have their natural barrier. Skim milk seems quite effective but it has to be rinsed with water after application or will cause a slightly off smell for a while.

Yeah high PH water works. I read an article on that last year, but I can't remember where i saw it. Competing mag I believe. It was tested and found to be very effective on spores. I'll see if I can find the article again.

Thanks, they're probably done in a couple of weeks so I should be ok.

Good luck with your PM battles guys.

heheh, I think you'll find that can grow on you. :cheer:

Luckily my previous crops had decent to good potency, though they were screwed up in various ways, they've all been worth smoking.

But you're giant steps past headache inducing smoke now, brother.:bravo:

This ak48 is even better tonight than it was today, and it's the same bud haha. I'm so excited :slide::blunt::tokin::cheer:

Yeah I had a look, thanks, he makes a good case. And he does put emphasis on swelling, etc. It's a good summary of the signs of ripening.
I wouldn't go quite so far until I knew the strain, but everybody likes what they like. I do agree that many chop too early, but curing ambers them up a significant %. I'd suggest leaving a good branch on them when you chop and, as suggested in that thread, letting it go until you can't stand it. You'll have your crop and also a good sample for comparison, without waiting for another complete grow.
Some buds will probably be less mature when you chop, so you will have three stages of developement to sample from one grow if you keep them sorted out.
If you feel you lost something in the bud that went long you won't have an entire crop affected.

That vid leaves open the question: How much better would it have been if ambered up? heheh Or how different, because it might be better for some at an earlier or later stage.

Gotta play some to get answers that matter to the individual grower/smoker. A rewarding quest.:)

Mmmmick that's a great idea thanks!

Ideally I'd like to have a bunch of different highs, or at least a nice up and a nice slam me into the recliner. That bubba kush I tried 2 days ago was a great up. So maybe I should start harvesting. If this ak48 gets any more potent, and I'm sure it already has, it will be too strong for anything but staying home haha. And I haven't even tried Lucy yet, she's the strongest on paper but also the longest at 11 weeks. Tomorrow is day 70.

I'm going to look at all the trichs in the morning and decide.

When I say harvesting I mean like you suggested, start taking some of each plant except maybe the bagseed, she's still not ready. Have you ever done it that way?

I was wondering the same thing about that nug in the vid haha. I was wondering if for some reason it didn't turn amber but that can't be.

Take care bro.

Hi Mmmmick!:high-five:

The smoking light is on, so fire one up! :tokin:

Actually, this one is for Blue! He grew some potent stuff this time! Congrats Blue!! :cheer: Think we have all been there and done that! :)

Glad you have the PM at least manageable! ;)

Hi Mmmmick,

I wanted to throw out a little tidbit of knowledge I got through luck! I am a lucky bastard so far, in regards to pests and diseases. I had thought my luck would run out eventually, but it hasn't in 2+ years (knock on wood)! My only battles have been with pushing organics (nutes), and soiless ph issues (late flower). I have been using AN's Wipe Out for first clean, and then post wash down after harvest. The product is no longer made, and there is nothing out there that I have found that is like this product. It is still available if you search around. The UK shops have it, and luckily my local shop. I am currently out, as I would list the ingredients. I have a bottle on order, coming this week.

*I don't like to promote products, unless it is one of a kind. Below is a quick except of its function. All I can attest to, is that I have not had any of the problems that this product is listed to combat, since using it religiously!

"That's why you need to Wipe Out diseases, viruses, molds and fungi that want to chomp your plants and rob you of your harvest. This all organic formula sterilizes grow spaces and equipment so hydroponics plants are protected from microbial attackers that can turn a grow room into a death trap. Wipe Out kills soft skinned insects on contact. Excellent for use on thrip's, white fly, aphids and larvae.
You don't want to spray chlorine bleach, poisons and other gunk onto your hydroponics grow room walls and equipment.
All the other grow room cleansing products are weak and don't work well, and some of them contain poisons that can hurt you and your plants. Wipe Out contains only organic ingredients that completely destroy all microscopic attackers without spreading toxins and poisons that can harm you and your plants. Simply spray it on, let it dry and your growing room is ready for planting".

I thought this might be an option for you to try for your next run, to try and eliminate the PM issues.

Take it easy Mmmmick, and I hope your harvest is a good one!

:goodluck:

Hey Mmmmick,

Haven't seen you around here for a bit. Getting tired of the log in stuff? Can't always get in to 420 in the morning.

You can scratch my suggestion! It is now unavailable anywhere (wipeout).

I was checking out AN's Protector at my local hydro shop. It is discontinued, but still available. It is a foliar, specifically for PM.

Take care!
:Namaste:

Mon, I took my AK-48 on 49th day and it was a killer after two weeks (20% of amber trichs) and after three months it can knock you out even easier. I'd advise taking it earlier... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom