Multi-Strain Seed Run

It's 7:30 AM. I have a load of laundry hanging on the line, watered the plants, and oh yeah; took a couple of cuttings from the Sapphire Scout.

full

Sapphire Scout Cuttings

They are two of the main branches, cut just after the first node on each. I also removed one of the two branches coming from each of the nodes on those branches to give the plant a chance at four again. I took cuttings now to give the plant a chance to recover before applying the STS and flipping it to flower.

I was left with only one node to bury on each cutting. I scraped the area below the node, and coated the area from just above the node down with Stim Root #2. I cut a Rapid Rooter in half, and lay the cutting between the halves to avoid brushing the Stim Root off when placing the cutting in them. I planted the cuttings with the rapid rooters in four inch (10cm) nursery pots. I watered with the mild vegetative formula, and covered them with a glass that I had sprayed with water. I put them in a south facing window so I wouldn't need to use another light. Hopefully they'll develop roots soon.

Nice, sounds like a solid method.. Should work out well.. Love the ummmmm, domes you have there... Seems like there should be a mixed drink in one of those.. Unless you have more ........ Green day and to all

They're too small for a mixed drink - unless we have company. Mine are usually in a 16 oz glass, so I don't need a refill as often. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's three days before I flip the plants with F>M branches to 12/12 lighting. First a few images of the plants:

full

Plants under the Mars Hydro TSL-2000

full

Top of a Random Plant

I picked up some plastic coated wire plant supports at the local dollar store. They ran out of the single plant supports with the loop on top. I just bought some with a hoop and three legs, then removed the legs. They all are about 18" or 45cm long. They are pushed all the way in for now, but I should be able to pull them up about 4-6" (10 - 15cm) as the plants get taller.

full

Saphire Scout Cuttings - Five Days Old

The cuttings appear to be a little dry, despite being under a humidity dome. I lift the dome three times per day for a minute or two to let in some fresh air. The substrate is kept moist, but not soaked.

full

STS and Tools for Application

I used make-up brushes from the dollar store to apply the STS Working Solution. I poured about 1/2 oz (15ml) into the shot glass, and used that. Only about a teaspoon or 5ml was needed to paint four branches. A little goes a long way. The left over solution was discarded. NEVER pour a solution you have used back into your stock bottle. It will lead to problems.

full

Cream & Cheese - Where the STS was Applied

I brushed the STS on one branch of three plants, one of each strain. I ensured each node was well coated. I placed a drop of the STS solution on the leaves coming from the top node of the branch. The branches are tagged with a blue bread bag closure, wired to the plant support for that branch.

I'll apply the STS tomorrow morning, and again Sunday night and Monday morning. The three plants with the F>M branches will be switched to 12/12 lighting on Monday. The other two plants will be moved into my other tent to veg for another few weeks.

It's three days before I flip the plants with F>M branches to 12/12 lighting. First a few images of the plants:

full

Plants under the Mars Hydro TSL-2000

full

Top of a Random Plant

I picked up some plastic coated wire plant supports at the local dollar store. They ran out of the single plant supports with the loop on top. I just bought some with a hoop and three legs, then removed the legs. They all are about 18" or 45cm long. They are pushed all the way in for now, but I should be able to pull them up about 4-6" (10 - 15cm) as the plants get taller.

full

Saphire Scout Cuttings - Five Days Old

The cuttings appear to be a little dry, despite being under a humidity dome. I lift the dome three times per day for a minute or two to let in some fresh air. The substrate is kept moist, but not soaked.

full

STS and Tools for Application

I used make-up brushes from the dollar store to apply the STS Working Solution. I poured about 1/2 oz (15ml) into the shot glass, and used that. Only about a teaspoon or 5ml was needed to paint four branches. A little goes a long way. The left over solution was discarded. NEVER pour a solution you have used back into your stock bottle. It will lead to problems.

full

Cream & Cheese - Where the STS was Applied

I brushed the STS on one branch of three plants, one of each strain. I ensured each node was well coated. I placed a drop of the STS solution on the leaves coming from the top node of the branch. The branches are tagged with a blue bread bag closure, wired to the plant support for that branch.

I'll apply the STS tomorrow morning, and again Sunday night and Monday morning. The three plants with the F>M branches will be switched to 12/12 lighting on Monday. The other two plants will be moved into my other tent to veg for another few weeks.

Yay! You're off and running with the STS!! You are about a week ahead of me. Nice summary. Dumb question, what is F>M? F greater than M, but...?

That's the notation used in Smokin Moose's post for plants or branches that have had their sex reversed from female to male. I'm just using the same notation so people don't get confused.

That's the notation used in Smokin Moose's post for plants or branches that have had their sex reversed from female to male. I'm just using the same notation so people don't get confused.

I was confused, but now I like the notation! Thanks!

The three plants with the F>M branches are on their last day of veg. Tomorrow is the start of 12/12 lighting for them. Here's a couple of root shots:

full

Roots Growing Out of the Grow Bag (Typical Plant)

The roots coming out of the sides (left image) will soon die back to the grow bag. The roots extending from the bottom (right image) are being teased by the run off. Some will die back, others will find the run off. I empty the trays every two to three days, and the run off never gets within 25mm (1") of the grow bag, but some roots will still find it. It's nothing to be concerned about.

Here's a good introduction to root systems. It deals with trees, but the same principles apply to our favorite plant.

...Evenin' Salty!... :ciao:...all caught up and gonna' follow along...liking all your innovations, and your attention to detail...:thumb:...I've recently tried a selfing project using CS, so I'm anxious to see how you make out with the STS...I found trying to source it a bit of a pita and conflicting info on how to make my own...I am/was working with an Ace A5 X Killer, trying to reverse 3 larger lower branches...its been slightly more than 2 weeks since flip, and I'm not confident it's gonna' be successful...no biggie if it doesn't, cause she vegged for 10 weeks and is a fair size, and should produce nicely either way...anyways...carry on...cheerz,,,:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

...Evenin' Salty!... :ciao:...all caught up and gonna' follow along...liking all your innovations, and your attention to detail...:thumb:...I've recently tried a selfing project using CS, so I'm anxious to see how you make out with the STS...I found trying to source it a bit of a pita and conflicting info on how to make my own...I am/was working with an Ace A5 X Killer, trying to reverse 3 larger lower branches...its been slightly more than 2 weeks since flip, and I'm not confident it's gonna' be successful...no biggie if it doesn't, cause she vegged for 10 weeks and is a fair size, and should produce nicely either way...anyways...carry on...cheerz,,,:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

From my reading, it can take four or more weeks after the flip to be sure it has worked. I'm really hoping it does, so that I can build up a reserve of seed. I wouldn't mind if they ran $5 or so for a packet like flower or vegetable seeds, but $15 or more per seed is rather steep.

I moved the two plants I didn't treat into my other tent. I'll keep the untreated plants in veg for another three weeks, before I flip them. I changed the timers after lights out tonight, so tomorrow will be day one of the stretch for the treated plants. I finally get to grow under the light I built :). I thought I owed it to Mars Hydro to do as much of this grow under their light since my wife won it.

I did paint the treated areas four times, and will do it twice more tomorrow. Since I'm not spraying, I did it about 2 hrs after the lights cam on and 4 hours before they went off. Tomorrow I'll get them just after lights on, and just before lights out.

I sprayed my branches twice a day for a week and once day for another week after that...always at lights on and a couple hours before lights out during the first week...still a bit early to determine success/failure...sure would be nice to have a stockpile of seeds of a killer strain...if successful, next logical step would try some cross breeding I suppose...we'll see...cheerz... :high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

Back
Top Bottom