My First Tent Grow

go cut a switch for that boy!! at 22 he should be jumping to go at a project like this.

I think that growing together father and son might be the best way to change his attitude and educate him in the fine art of patience and responsibility! Just trust him and let him make mistakes! He will grow (no pun intended).

/RM

I got the tarp on the floor. I watched a Utube vid. on how to install tent. Hopefully today.
I saw exhaust vid and Im puzzled.... they have both LED and MH in the same tent, ok great. I might do the same....... So Ive got roof jack intake to hoods then smell filter and fan then exhaust to roof jack...YES!
Ok great. Is this all the exhaust the tent will need using both MH and LED??
With LED I need a passive intake meaning I draw from the room or window or portable A/C...Yes
Will I need both running both? Or will just the hood exhaust be enough for the tent running LED too?
I think YES. If I run hood exhaust with 8" fan maybe at most a portable A/C added? Or do I install both hood exhaust and passive exhaust, two fans..... NO??
Since I have a few free new 600w MH I want to set up for both. My plan is........two 1000w LED's and one 600w MH. Exhaust,fan,filter running with MH hood thats it. Coming from a damperd intake jack and exiting to separate out take jack. YES? I dont mean to be confusing but I need advice. Its my next step.

so just in case you didn't but im sure you have.... search Proper Grow Room Ventilation Diagram on google or whatever you use and you will get a ton of possible situations you can compare to.

for simplicity, I use 1 fan. 1 filter. air intake is passive through the vents in the tent.

currently, I have 1-mars II 1200 watt led running on a lightmover. so no cooled hood. my filter(inside) collects the smell and the heat from the room, through the 6" tubing to my fan on top of my tent(outside) which is just vented into the room, but aimed at an open door to another room and a hallway. I have a window air conditioner in the room where my tent is keeping the room at 70. my tent stays at 70 as well just through the passive intake vents in the tent.

so its like this:
l----------passive/unconnected------->l l<------------connected-----------------ll<--loop-->l
air con room temp---> pass intake---> filter---> 6"tubing----> 6"maxfan---> to the room.

the only difference I would have running my 1k mh/hps is it has a cooling hood so it would come between the filter and the fan. thus removing both heat and smell very effectively. I usually ran my light within 6" or less of my plant tops like this.

running my lec 315 was done the same as the mars II 1200 led. passive heat removal. not as effective, but the leds don't like to be so close to the plants anyhow. so moving them up doesn't bother me, the girls like it.

mh/hps ballast was outside the tent. so no heat added from that. digital anyhow, its a nano cube so it runs almost cold lol.

lec 315 has its ballast fixed to the reflector on the model I have, so it runs a bit hotter that it would with the remote ballast. which I would again put outside the tent.

mars II 1200 led is a sealed unit, so any heat it puts out needs to be removed in a passive manner. not too bad at all actually.

I think, that you are over thinking the whole setup before you know what it will do.

I also think, that what you should do, is get the tent setup with whatever filter, fan and light or lights you are going to use and turn it on. this will do a couple things. 1: it will get the tent "airing out" the factory smell. 2: it will allow you to monitor the tent in a real world situation to see what the temps are at running a passive intake and exhaust. 3: if needed, add in the room air con to the room your tent is in. or 4: add in forced intake air from your "intake jacks" what does that mean anyhow? is it just some cali way of saying a vent? lol

so, yeah, get it setup and run it empty. put your thermo inside it on a stack of buckets or what have you to simulate plant top height. consider differing growth periods, ie: seedling, veg, bloom, and finish.

do this for a few days and believe me, it will all become a lot more clear and defined to you as first hand, real world, hands on experience.

I've got the feeling that you, like myself, are a hands on learner, and over planner until you can actually touch the tools you need to work with. not a bad thing, but it can be hard to tell myself to stop planning and just freakin do it already sometimes. ocd much? yep I do. lol

remember......
have fun eh
hope this helps

I got the tent up! having 3 people helped. tent takes up whole room almost so pic is almost impossible. Ive got about 3' on all sides with maybe 5' in the back with a old dresser against the wall for storage. Utube video helped alot with tent. I washed the free pan and pots today and could get a good pic of that. Starting to think about what to first grow. Maybe buy the autoflower. Start researching.
What seed co. are recommended? Ive read about a few favored.
Im going to browse the vendors here for now.
Unforgiven, thank you for the detailed exhaust explanation. i will read in detail and figure it out. Its the next step. Still time, no rush.
I want to take latest pic of girls in the yard but will wait a few more weeks. Theyre really looking nice!!

20160716_135411.jpg
20160716_135550.jpg

right on!! you got it up. lol

3' all around? 5' at the back??

that aint tight, lol

my 4x8 tent is in an 8x8 room with one end pushed into the closet. I have a 4' porta plastic worktable that just fits between the endwall and the door, leaving me 2' between the tent and table. lol

now that's tight.

why the 5' space at the back? also, are you planning access all around? I guess so with the right tent eh. very nice tent. will be watching for your review of it here.

now keep at it eh. get them lights, fans and filter going for the test.

be carefull taking stuff from the outside inside, or soon you'll be asking where the white spots and all flying animals are coming from....:straightface:
clean is the message 4d
:green_heart:

Theres just enough room. Im putting a T11 in the closet for clones. I put seeds in water to pop yesterday and paper towel today. With it warm out there going to pop quick. My kid picked a unmarked seed container and they're definitely a variety. When I bred seeds 4 yrs ago I marked most containers but this one was seeds I had come across that were nice ones as I smoked already cleaned herb, Blue dream, Chem dog and few others with an OG male. Plan is to veg 24 plants then just flower the girls. I figure why spend money on seeds/clones first grow when I have them.
The pan and pot pic is after we scrubbed/sprayed them out. Used vinegar water. I will wipe everything
down, hoods,ballasts, everything. I told my kid how important it is!!!! Was thinking of bug bombing tent after set up?? Good Idea?
Plan now is two 1000w LED's and one 600w MH in the 5x9 tent. Im going to need to get a timer for the T11's and for LED's. I dident get the 240v cords for the ballasts and have to buy (home depot?) I got the 110v cords. I still have to get fan/filter and LED's. Installing roof jacks Wednesday. Left electrician a message that Im ready. The cost of whats left is over a grand at least. The LED's are $160. ea. Im getting, cheap but effective. Ive got three 600w MH in case needed.
Been watching many utube vid. Googling stuff. My kid has too.
Thanks to all for your insight!!! Much appreciated!!!! On my way!!!

I also think, that what you should do, is get the tent setup with whatever filter, fan and light or lights you are going to use and turn it on. this will do a couple things. 1: it will get the tent "airing out" the factory smell. 2: it will allow you to monitor the tent in a real world situation to see what the temps are at running a passive intake and exhaust. 3: if needed, add in the room air con to the room your tent is in. or 4: add in forced intake air from your "intake jacks" what does that mean anyhow? is it just some cali way of saying a vent? lol
When I say "jacks" I mean actual roof jacks. I plan on installing two. intake and out take. I guess I need a thermostat? Any recommendations?? Not just a thermometer on the wall but a thermostat that can be moved around?? Thanks again!!

be carefull taking stuff from the outside inside, or soon you'll be asking where the white spots and all flying animals are coming from....:straightface:
clean is the message 4d
:green_heart:

I plan on being strict about pests....
noticed yesterday the tent doors are open and ports. I closed it down. Im going to try to treat it as much a sterile room as possible. I think the effort will pay off.
Im not sure where to put the pots after wash and before use? laying in the yard aint it. Stack somewhere, maybe in the grow room closet?
This indoor sure is involved! I LIKE OUTDOOR!!!!
Buying FF soli today because those seedlings are going to pop soon this time of year. Timer for the t11's in the closet. Figure closet grow at first until tents ready.
I still need......
fan/filter
tent led and closet T11 timers.
240v cord for 600w ballast. have 110 cords
install roof jacks
install electrical
buy LED's for tent
theres more!
Vienz, what about using Aza Max for pests? Ive done a few drenches on my outdoor in the beginning and what a difference! No ants farming aphids this year. Killed the spider mites it had. I figure Aza Max will help indoors too?? I used Aza Max on newly planted and it handled it well. Will pray foliage whole month of aug and 1st week of Sept. for fall caterpillars which are bad here. Thanks Vienz!

I also agree about running your room with everything on. I did a test run for a few weeks before I even popped any seeds. Gotta check temp and humidity before plants. In my case I had to run a small humidifier in winter, my room was being too dry. Right now I have no probs with humidity, just smooth sailing. You may need to invest in a de-humidifier. You do not want a room that is getting super humid or you may end up with mold. Hook up all your gear and run it. Remember, if your humidity is high now, or even in the 50s, your plants will raise that. Plants will let loose water into your environment and that has to be under control. You will need a A/C unit I'm sure with 2 large LEDS and a MH light. All you will have to worry about is keeping temps down, small A/C would keep you legit. I know nothing about those units so someone else could guide you in right, as my son says it, dI-rection.

I also agree about running your room with everything on. I did a test run for a few weeks before I even popped any seeds. Gotta check temp and humidity before plants. In my case I had to run a small humidifier in winter, my room was being too dry. Right now I have no probs with humidity, just smooth sailing. You may need to invest in a de-humidifier. You do not want a room that is getting super humid or you may end up with mold. Hook up all your gear and run it. Remember, if your humidity is high now, or even in the 50s, your plants will raise that. Plants will let loose water into your environment and that has to be under control. You will need a A/C unit I'm sure with 2 large LEDS and a MH light. All you will have to worry about is keeping temps down, small A/C would keep you legit. I know nothing about those units so someone else could guide you in right, as my son says it, dI-rection.

Nice Gaffle!! Much appreciated! Im just starting to learn humidity's important. I got a meter. I have access to a new portable A/C for a $100. Im thinking Im going to need it. Im going to learn about regulating it.
Im practicing PHing my yard grow for the tent and learned today....... different PH companies sell different grade stuff. Bought a PH down from one and then PH up from another manufacturer and its strengths are different. Took a little to bring it down and WAY more to go up. Thought maybe my meter was screwy but no I tested it. I bought another different PH up today and will see soon. I found a warehouse Dist. close to me and saved $160.00 on my tent and finding not everything is that much cheaper but its cheap and a BIG selection. They helped me with my PH problem today, nice, and made me realize I probably started the open sesame a little early too. I adapted FF indoor schedule for outdoor and Im a little off. Thanks for the help Gaffle!

Nice Gaffle!! Much appreciated! Im just starting to learn humidity's important. I got a meter. I have access to a new portable A/C for a $100. Im thinking Im going to need it. Im going to learn about regulating it.
Im practicing PHing my yard grow for the tent and learned today....... different PH companies sell different grade stuff. Bought a PH down from one and then PH up from another manufacturer and its strengths are different. Took a little to bring it down and WAY more to go up. Thought maybe my meter was screwy but no I tested it. I bought another different PH up today and will see soon. I found a warehouse Dist. close to me and saved $160.00 on my tent and finding not everything is that much cheaper but its cheap and a BIG selection. They helped me with my PH problem today, nice, and made me realize I probably started the open sesame a little early too. I adapted FF indoor schedule for outdoor and Im a little off. Thanks for the help Gaffle!
I had ph down and up from gh and it worked the same way. 2 drops of down adjusted it a whole lot more than a whole dropper full of up. I think that's just the nature of the chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom