My First Time Growing

so evidently nirvana went ahead and shipped the seeds!

Since they didn't get shipped to me, ill have to go meet my friend and see what exactly happened... He said that they called and kind of freaked out at him. They might have been "testing" him to see if he was the 5-0 or whatever.

Evidently he got em today. Which would be badass ;)

That also means i need to get to friggin work on this table!

Dont rush it man, make sure you think things through before you get big plants goin. Sometimes it is a big pain in the ass to work on the setup with a bunch of ladies on your hands...

Ok, so I went and picked up my old bulbs from my old house (i'm shocked they were still there!!!)

Here they are, all fired up:

lights4.jpg

The 5 that look the same, are this kind:
sunlite.jpg

The one that's all purple-like is:
General Electric "Grow and Sho" Plant light F40-PL

I think I want to use these in the top of the table... Will it be enough for 6 plants or so? I think they're all 40 watts, and my guess is they are some sort of full spectrum lights.

I can always get some other lights for the bottom shelf. Main priority is getting these seeds started so my friend (and me LOL) can have his medicine.

The lights i got in my shed are just regular florescent lights, and after turning them off and taking the picture... I gotta say, I like these lights much more. Very pleasing to the eye. Hoping the plants will feel the same way ;)

Feedback much appreciated!

Oh, and tomorrow is shopping-fer-hydroponics day!

By the way, the seeds we got are papaya!
I would have liked to get white widow, but this may be a better starter for me. The only experience I have had with growing so far... Was when I was 18, I had a pot and a desk lamp =P
I killed the plant after it was about 8 inches tall, since I was still at my 'rents house hehe

Cool! Can't wait for your grow!

Haha, me either!! :yummy:

For future reference, home depot is not the place to go for most of the stuff you need... Unless you need a 50 pound bag of perlite.

Have to go to the *only* hydroponics store left in town for the rockwool / hydroton. That's gonna happen on wednesday!

ok, went shopping today!
growsupplies.jpg

Question about ebb n flow hydroponics... Do I need to use the cover on the rubbermaid container? Or can I just use the bottom for the flood basin?

I figure it might be ok left open, since there is only water in there while the pump is running, and it empties out.

Gonna start working on everything tomorrow (already got the lights setup to be adjustable height)

Gotta pick up a bigger drill bit, some hose clamps, and some flanges to get the tubing through the rubbermaid w/o leakin...

Never have all the parts even if you think you do ;)

I got anxious last night and got all my pots setup with the hydroton and rockwool... they are just itchin for some plants ;)

I also plan on taking lots of pictures on the process of setting it up, I figure it'd probably be useful to someone

Well, got the basin installed in the table, with the input/output drain and the overflow all hooked up. My reservior is leaking though, so I need to figure out a good way to get the hoses through the rubbermaid without it leaking...

Probably going to use some faucets since I think using just silicone around the hoses will be a huge pain when it comes time to flush out the reservoir. Something with a "quick detach" would be ideal.

I'll post pictures of what I come up with ;)

Here's the lights:
lightsetup.jpg

and here's the basin with the overflow and other thingie:
basin_setup.jpg

It would be a good idea to paint that container black on the outside.

Can you elaborate a little on that? I did buy black spraypaint so it's not a big deal... just wondering what advantages it would have if i'm not going to put a top on it (which i can also paint black). I imagine it would inhibit algae growth some, but with ebb and flow the water would only be in the light when it's time to water..

I will probably do it anyways ;)

Back
Top Bottom