Newbie's First Grow Journal

oh i thought you were using bpn organic 7 part line, i mix 5 gallons in a bucket add an airstone and bubble till its frothy 2 days is good, with molasses and worm castings, it is very alive with microbes, there are important differences i like about organics,like taste,potency,you dont need to flush in fact flushing can screw up the microbiology, you rarely get bugs, no enviromental impact well a good one when i put old soil in the garden, organic /high brix gardening is the future of all gardening, the stuff you are using works,but id bet your progress and plants would be even better with bpn organics in particular, have you checked out any of the high brix grows? docbud,vapedog,icemud and curso are all doing high brix,im close but i could not get some of the needed items so im setteled with really good organic close to high brix growing lol,you should check it out lemme know if you need links:thumb:

If you have some links to those brix grows, I'd like to check them out BID.. :)

I'm having a bit of a problem with my ladies right now.. I noticed a few leaves turning yellowish and drying out.. Tonight while in there feeding them, I noticed all my plants are showing the same signs! There are getting light spots on the leaves, edges and some of the bigger leaves protruding out of the buds are turning yellow/brown and drying up.. I'm not sure what is going on.. when it first started happening I thought it was a PK issue so I started giving them a does of 1 tsp per gallon, twice the first week and then once a week. But the problem is spreading.. Could it be too much nutes? I fed them plain PH'd water last feeding and tonight plain PH'd water with PK (0-50-30) in it.. Any ideas? Should I be worried? I certainly don't want the buds to be effected like the leaves..

DSC001565.JPG

DSC001558.JPG

DSC001546.JPG

DSC001539.JPG

DSC001529.JPG

DSC001517.JPG

DSC001507.JPG

DSC0014910.JPG

DSC001487.JPG

Hi Ultra NEwb..
Hmm. Its hard to tell exactly, but from a few pics, the damage seems very similar to what happened to my Cindy.
I had a bad Fungus Gnat problem, which was possibly some factor in my problems but - I had symptoms, that were possibly a few things, now i tried ALL THE RELEVANT REMEDIES to sort her out.
Firstly, she showed a Phosphorous Defic. which i was able to identify straight away and over a few feeds it basically stopped and now she has maybe 2 leaves affected by it.
But then these patches started to appear, go rusty and the leaf yellow and dry out in spots, some curling and going crispy.. NOT GOOD :(
So anyway, first i checked my soils PH ; it was about 6.3 ( which is usually what my soil is at ), but i tried to increase it as some charts etc i viewed showed possibly that at PH of below 6.5 that some nutes, Cal/mag,P,K etc; MAY be locked out, and as i had a combo of symptoms,
i thought this may be the cause, so i managed to get it close to being stable @ 6.4/ 6.5.
Problem still persisted.. Then a Boron deficiency was suggested, so i treated for that.. No change..
Added Cal/mag, sprayed with Epsom Salts, as i said - JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING I TRIED..
Id flushed her and then i decided to foliar feed her Seaweed extract with some P&K, so she got a bit of a feed from her inner canopy which still had a lot of healthy leaves, i basically only gave the roots water, maybe a little Seaweed extract, but low dosages..
Now shes into Day 50 of flower and the leaves that were damaged are still looking crap, but theyre still being used a little, so ive left some crusty leaves on my buds, some ive taken, but as ive trimmed a few buds to sample, after i manicured em a bit, really, they didnt look too bad and the only bits of leaf on em were packed with trichs.
Anyway.. While i was trimming em up, on a few dried crusty leaves, well, on the underside of the leaf, there were some small globules of amber color, like a sap. Being inquisitive, i touched it and it stuck to my finger - so i thought, ILL TASTE IT!! And so i did. It was familiar... Then the penny dropped - About 2 weeks earlier, i was reading a post on feeding Molasses to peoples plants and gains from 'Teas's' made using Molasses and other nutrients by growers.
Being an inconsolable idiot - I found some Golden Syrup in the cupboard... "Thats like Molasses basically" - i thought.. wrong - FAIL!!!
The familiar taste - WAS GOLDEN SYRUP ID DISSOLVED INTO HER FEED ONE DAY!!!
And sure enough, under most of my plants burned messed up leaves, were these globules of Golden syrup.. Not many, but as its a thick substance i think it must have clogged up all the plants veins and as the plant was trying to use the water etc she d been fed, she absorbed the syrup and it must have stopped the leaves from getting the nutrients.
So most likely, SHE WASNT NUTE DEFICIENT - other than the Phos - And she was just struggling with the syrup and it started killing off bits of leaves, so all the things id tried, if a defic. was the case, should have been remedied fairly soon.
But i probably caused the problems by adding the Syrup, and the globules must have been the plant trying to rid itself of the foreign crap in her veins!!!
I continued to lightly foliar feed, and the affected leaves are still surviving - just - but i will be harvesting very soon.
Can you think of anything you may have fed her that may be in abundance now?? And have you got any Cal/mag? Maybe try for that or Potassium.. Now i ve seen a few Potassium prob pics, as i was trying to compare mine,There were like 3 things that could be it. But my pics looked more like yours. So i dunno, unless you ve added Golden Syrup too!! LOL.. But start at your PH at 6.5/6, and also, i dont like to give really strong doses of any nutrient, most of my organic food is about 12% say N,P or K for example, with other micro nutes and plant conditioners. Seaweed extract is IMO, and a couple others, one of the BEST things to give a plant. I have 1 bottle of Seasol without much N,P or K. And i have a Powerfeed version, which has N,P,K, amino acids, proteins minerals, microbes and bacteria, all beneficial to the plants overall health. Im sorry i cannot say mate its definately this and you can just go fix it straight away, just your problem sounds and loks similar to me. And BTW even with the damage to her leaves, they have stayed alive for over 2 weeks ok mate, so dont stress on chopping them all off, id probably leave em in case theyre absorbing most of the potential damage. TAKE CARE N ALL THE BEST. Smokemupm8..

its hard to be sure in hps light,it looks like nute lockout and ph probs, try checking the ph of the runoff, and check the ppm, water till its flowing out catch the first cup or 2, to much pk can cause toxicity and lockout of different nutes, this is another reason i do organics, its hard to burn with proper fed nutes, flushing with proper phd water ,i would say 4 times the volume of the pot 1 gal pot gets 4 gallons water,also use 1/4 strength nutes in the flush water it actually pulls out more junk than plain water, the leaves will never get better,just watch new growth,heres some links to high brix journals
Icemud's Grow 4.0 - High Brix Focus with Gas Lamp Routine - V-Scrog
High Brix
Brix Aware 1.0
Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Hi mate, How are ya??
Probably a little stressed if ya like me:):) ALL I CAN SAY IS - YOUR PROBLEM WAS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD!! Cindy showd me the exact same symptoms, it started in the middle of the leaf, and over time it will go rusty and the leaves will lighten color to yellow, and die off..
I do think its a Potassium Defic./Lock out?? See, as i said there were a few SIMILAR SYMPTOMS my plant showed me.. I applied EVERYTHING and gave it time. The safest product i could use was Seaweed extract light foliar feed and light dissolved in mostly water, just on quarter strength say. My plant managed to keep some solor in the affected leaves even with major damage, but yeah as i said, i found these round amber globules of most likely GOLDEN SYRUP on the under side of her veins, so yeah i think this definately did not help my cause!!
The closest i guess i could say was a prob was maybe Cal/mag Def and Potasss.. My soil may have been the problem,PH wise, but ive grown in 6.3/4 fine before, my Run-off s PH was lower than my soils and PH'd water/feed.. I tried adjusting, but i thought best to add some Cal/mag lime to the surface and water in and wait for that to take effect. As a matter of fact - my soils PH now is at 6.7..
And so meanwhile i just fed her foliar with my Seaweed extract Powerfeed containing slight N,P,K at half strength, and then a little in her water.. She s still going ok, the damage is there, some leaves are all dry and crispy - but once trimmed up will be fine. I dont know but as suggested, a flush with some light nutes in it/Seaweed extract:) would be good to try reset the balance a little, it will take a few days til you notice any real changes or maybe you wont see much, but long as buds are green and still growing thats ok. Ill try show you pic of my damage.. GOODLUCK MATE!!! Smokemup..
2012-10-13_16_13_10.jpg
2012-10-22_19_42_47.jpg

Finishing up flushing the last one now.. whew what a job! Should be the last.. I hope..

When I had my Skywalker (aka. Zombie) out, one of the main branches broke off.. Well, not completely off, was still holding on but a little.. I smeared some clonex in the break which is down by the main stem and tied her together down there and also put in a stake and tie her off to it.. Do you think a break is savable this far into flower? Sorry, don't have any pictures..

It took awhile before they dried out enough to feed again from flushing last weekend.. Last night was the first feeding since and they got some cal-mag so I'm hoping this browning/brittle of the leaves stop. Its day 51 of flower and I see 3 plants already getting lots red hairs but no amber tric's yet. When is a good tell tale sign of nearing finish and to start only plain watering?

The broken branch looks very healthy so I think I'm good on that one.. whew..

I've had to tie up most of the buds, after flushing they all drooped and weren't recovering.. The 3 ft. stakes wasn't enough since the plants are so large. Next grow will have a screen in there.. :)

Day 52 of flower..

They got their first full nute feeding since the flushing.. Added 1/2 tsp of PK per gallon and 1 tsp of cal-mag per gallon as well.. PH was 6.4. I need to hit the grow store tomorrow and pickup some more PH down and Up..

Having a pit of a problem with bud weight.. Tied a few up but a couple bent over anyway from the weight.. You can't see it in the full tent view, but there are 12 lines holding up buds.. :) You can't tell also the size of the buds.. they are FAT and rock hard..

The problem child is starting to bud nicely.. :) Thanks BID for the help! I hope the others finish up and get harvested before she starts adding bud weight.. The limbs a thin and stretchy.. Will have to use a net for sure.

DSC0018712.JPG

DSC001888.JPG

Here is a full Tent view
DSC001858.JPG

Here is some Skywalker bud pictures.

DSC001928.JPG

DSC0019312.JPG

And White Russian.. There is a Jack Here in these pic's but I forgot which one it was..

DSC002027.JPG

DSC0020110.JPG

DSC001978.JPG

DSC001958.JPG

DSC0019413.JPG

DSC0018910.JPG

DSC001867.JPG

I've come to that conclusion as well.. Was nutrient burn.. After I flushed and feed plain water for a week I went back to the Foxfarm chart which then I started seeing the problem spread again.. Also in my closet grow a couple fan leaves are showing the same signs.. Guess going by their feeding chart isn't a good idea! Last feeding, I gave them all water, call-mag and molasses.. and put in a teaspoon of Super Thrive.. Guess I'm back to plain water now for a bit to see if things improve. I am beyond the point of flushing now since I have tied up all the buds. 2 plants I think are close to finishing so they will only get water now for the next 2 weeks.

I also bought one of those Digital Microscopes from Amazon hoping I can see the tric's a bit better! The unit itself had good reviews as far as image quality but the battery door had bad reviews.. Hopefully, it will work well for me.

Got a question for you experts.. When I was chatting to Cory at BPN he suggested I get a PPM pen to make sure my tap water isn't hard, he said it could add 400PPM or more which could cause the problems I was/am experiencing. I was on Amazon looking at Pen's and there are 2 types.. TDS and PPM.. are these the same thing? or do I need a PPM specifically?

I got my Digital Microscope in.. I was quite excited to try it out.. I sum up my thoughts on it in a word.. SUCKS! I'm glad I ordered a Jewelers loop (30x & 60X led lighted) with it! The pictures are too pixelated when zoomed in.. Oh well.. live and learn..

Well, I bought a Blue Lab's PPM pen from the local shop and some calibration fluid. My tap water is 190PPM after sitting for 48 hours to De-clorinate. I've been feeding my plants water & Molasses for the last couple feedings and tonight gave then a cocktail of Seaweed, Molasses and Foxfarm's Tiger bloom.. Went easy of the tiger bloom though.. PPM was 900 and 6.4 PH..

Here are some pictures from day 60 since 12/12 flip.. I'm seeing a lot of red hairs but no amber trich's yet.. In the last 2 weeks, I really haven't noticed any growth other than the problem child.. The bud's are hard & fat though.. THought they would continue to bulk up?

First, here is the problem child.. She's doing great now! Taking over her corner of the tent! Can't wait to harvest a few so she can have more room..
DSC002135.JPG

Here is the Skywalker (aka. Zombie). You can see all the yo-yo's every used to support the buds.. :)
DSC0021610.JPG

To the right of this picture is the problem child who is trying to take over the tent..
DSC002127.JPG

Some bug pictures..
DSC002196.JPG

DSC002184.JPG

DSC002178.JPG

DSC002145.JPG

And a tent view..
DSC002116.JPG

just waiting out the ripeness sorry i been so busy and not keeping up with my homies its best to keep the nutes lower now you should be seeing some fall colors let them plump an extra week and you"ll be handsomly rewarded with fattness,colors,and flavors, you have waited this long no sense in not getting the creme de la creme' ya know? most strains really should go a week to 3 longer than the say imho, then i was wondering if you were gonna give them a day or 2 of total darkness before the cut? i like to if i can ,what i will do is if im flushing i do that then stop watering 3 days befor 2 days of dark that way they are really dried out at the cut ,takes less time to dry and less lost weight to evaporation, hope all is going well ,its the most exciting time of growing:thumb:

Well, one of the plants had all red hairs and no white except on the lower popcorn bud's.. I took a sample of a lower branch and dried it over 2 days then tested last night.. VERY NICE! I loved the high! A little bit of both head and body high.. I felt great from head to toe.. So today I decided WTF, I'm gonna kill her now! When I git her out of the tent and into my kitchen under normal lighting, I saw dark amber trich's! About 50%, it was a dark amber too.. Funny how under the HPS I couldn't see them.. Guess its the light color.. So I went back in while the lights where off and examined the other one which looks almost done.. No amber that I can see yet..

This is the first time I trimmed buds.. Took me 3 hours! I took my time and manicured each bud as I took the branch off.. Not sure of the weight has I only have a gram scale. Bag felt heavy though, maybe a pound or so of fresh bud.. I took some pictures that you can see below, she was the smallest of my plants.. About 2 ft smaller than the others except for her sister which isn't much taller than she was and is the other one about ready.

Day 68 and she was harvested..

Here she is oblivious to whats about to happen.
DSC002228.JPG

Here she is with all the fan leaves trimmed.
DSC002248.JPG

DSC002236.JPG

And the results!
DSC002263.JPG

Back
Top Bottom