Niwashi's First Grow

They way I got them to come out was drenching the plugs in water.
They should swim out, they are tiny white crooked lines.
Sometimes they will spring/jump after the water drains.

There are plenty of things to buy that advertise as killing them. None have worked thus far. They shrug neem oil off. Shrug peroxide off. Shrug botanical soaps off. Nothing kills them completely for me.
I never suspected the rapid rooters, as I had had thrip issues in the past. I thought it was from my soil. I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest mainly, and just started buying it else where.

Recently, I started a batch of auto flowering seeds and about a week into it they were doing bad.
After closer inspection they were covered in them. So they were culled, all pots, rooters, dirt disposed of.
That type of stress early on, causes long term issues with autoflowering plants.
Diminished returns are guaranteed.

The rapid rooters were also kept separate from the soil at all times.
They were not contaminated here.

My next soil blend is going to be a mix of happy frog soil conditioner, perlite, and coco.
Hopefully that wont be to hot. I'll also use the other brand, root riot.
To top that off I'll be adding beneficial nematodes to my soil.
That is bacteria that should kill bugs over time.

@PhobosAnomaly Dude, I feel your pain with the fungus gnats. My first grows were plagued by them. I did everything: limited watering, Hydrogen peroxide, neem drench, DE, soap spray, sticky traps, BT mosquito dunks. Nothing worked well. I must have caught thousands of the little shits on the sticky paper, but I just couldn’t keep ahead of the breeding cycle. I finally went soil-less in hempy and have been gnat free since then.

Here is a pic of my first attempt at Pineapple Express Auto by Fast Buds. Severe stunting. This picture is of the entire plant. It never grew past the tiny seedling stage, and then went into bloom and past. I didn’t cull because I wasn’t going to start another while I had the gnats, and I kept hoping she would pull out of it and start growing.

You live and you learn man.:confused:
I had a recent DWC grow, that upon retrospect had thrips.
I had mistook them for bits of root or debris. :rolleyes:
I checked the root riots and all off the new substrate material and I seem bug free.
I'm going to hold off until I finish all of my current plants, then deeep clean everything.
Once I feel safe, I'll start another batch of autos.

Thanks for the backup BBTex! :thanks:
That pic is a prime example of a super stressed auto.:love::high-five:
:passitleft::passitleft::passitleft:

Crazy! I will be sure to check the plugs if I use them. Still waiting for some of the beans to pop and for the ones that have, I taproot to show a bit more before moving to a plug or soil.

@BigBearNTexas I have never seen anything like that, cat believe it poped a niug like that. It makes me think about the genetics in those autoflowering strains...

@flashmp3 I had backed the light off because my plant was drooping after a move to the new hydro system. I'm pretty sure that it was due to insufficient dissolved o2 in the water. After adding a a 60 L/min Airpump and 4" round air stones, the plant is 80% back to normal. Do you think I am safe to drop the lights yet? Pics in the next post...

@flashmp3 I forgot to mention that I have a photo sensor for the raspi, I just haven't gotten it configured yet, but hope to soon! Going for as close to 100% automation as I can get for my long term goal

I understand better why you had the lights upper. In fact it was a good IDEA. After a transplant shock I had done the same hoping it would help things healing softly. I don't know precisely what you should do but if I were you I would put it down a bit more just to get a nice 40000 lux. Anyway glad your babies are healing :);)

3/8 update

Ok, I progressively lowered the light over the past couple days, and now it's about 8" from the top.

I now have 4 established nodes with the 5th and 6th starting to grow. She looks mostly recovered but still has some discoloration and curling. Do you think I am good to top above the 4th node? Or should I wait for some more healthy nodes to grow out before topping?

You just have to wait now. It will take a bit and then the nodes will start pushing up and out. You can train at anytime. By that I mean you can keep pulling the tallest down and tying it and then in a day or two another will start growing. When it gets to be the tallest do the same. With time you could make a very large horizontal plant if you wanted.

Hi all,

She's recovered nicely from the topping! Are pipe cleaners the preferred method to pull the branches down or should I use something else?

Also, I haven't fed since 2/28 because my PPMs haven't really dropped. Should I feed now? My PPMs are around 310 and they were only up to 335 by feeding the recommended doses (I started with 130ppm tap water)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom