Northern Lights x Widow - Just Over A Week From Seed To Sprout

I have just had PH problems in soil :p ha ha

The PH was dropped to 6.4 by accident and it locked out Calcium causing rusty spotting on leaves, I watered with 7.0 water so hopefully the problem should be stabalised :)

Just letting you know in case something similar happens :)

:peace:

Hmmm. My soils ph isnt much higher than that, and is sometimes at about 6.4, and my girl is fine - I THINK?? I havent had signs of deficiency atm, touch wood - but i think it helps having things like Seasol-Seaweed extract with micro bacteria, n order to help keep things in and around your soil active and feeds your plant healthy stuff helping to resist disease, fungal attacks etc;
But yeah, i did have some cal/mag mixed into my soil anyways, i havent had to adjust my soil yet. But i sometimes lower my tap water s ph, not every water, but maybe every 2nd or 3rd..
Hope you have no problems with ya soil mate!! Goodluck, cya mate. SMOKEM..

As far as i'm aware calcium lock out does not occur at PH 6.4 well not in soil grows anyway !

How ever to much N - nitrogen / K - potassium may cause the lock out... we can also look at water used whether that be soft water or RO water supply which both lack calcium, in that case i would be very tempted to use calcium & magnesium nutrient with my regular watering schedule.

Epsom salts will also work & provide Ca/Mg

Yeah Fuzzy, thats what i said..
My soil s PH is usually at 6.4-6.7 maybe at times, and i have no drama s but i use my organic stuff, and i try to keep beneficial stuff in my soil.. I was thinking of earthworms in my pot this grow, but dunno how they go in there??
I have my nutrient solution, of n,p,k it not strong its 10N,6P,8K and i give her full strength of that now, and occasional seasol. I backed off on Seasol use alittle now.. Instead im dissolving some P and K nutes, at about quart to half strength every 2nd or 3rd feed.
So my soil mix, should be holding a great amount of reserved nutes, i should be able to just water for a week or two, but she will prob be in flower by 10 days:):) So not much N any more, just micro nutes and P,K.. I m dissolving some sugar now and then to add some with my water solution! DUNNO IF ITS GUNNA HELP, MAYBE MY BUDS WILL BE PACKED WITH SUGAR INSTEAD OF TRICHS:)
I ve stopped using Distilled water now, as my tap water has calcium added into it and other things so i think its fine..
Good to see much conversations on soil:) I hope ive helped maybe give some people what can be done easily, with soil and a light!
Take care all, and keep up the topics! Feel free to bring up a query mate, as it keeps me busy!! Cheers peeps, SMOKEMUP..

But this is only on one plant which has had the same dose of everything as everybody else, the only difference was a slight change in PH and then all of a sudden a calcium deficiency showed but only on one of them so perhaps she is just more sensitive than the others.

My reason for thinking the calcium got locked out from the 6.4 PH was because of an article that I read, I will quote it :)

I have also given the girls a little epsom salts in their PHd water they seem to be doing better :)

:thumb:

Thanks for that post GreenFingaz!
I think there may be some differences in the type of soil mix youre using.. If the soil mix is of a certain kind that may not have nutes/ or may have certain nutes, and if you put that said nutrient in and a build up occurs due to alkalinity or acidity that may cause a lock out of some kind.. Your soil needs to be ALIVE so to speak.. Organic products are alive and contain microbial bacteria that help plants feed, as theyre surrounded by food, CAN THINK OF IT SORT OF AS A HYDRO - The nutrients are all around the roots and there when they need em. Tho its not all liquid nutes, the roots are breathing and feeding while among that soil:) Im was thinking of some Epsom salts in one of her water s soon, what does it help with usually, is there more than 1 benefit??
Thanks buddy, take it easy and chat soon. SMokem..:thumb:

Yeah Fuzzy, thats what i said..
My soil s PH is usually at 6.4-6.7 maybe at times, and i have no drama s but i use my organic stuff, and i try to keep beneficial stuff in my soil.. I was thinking of earthworms in my pot this grow, but dunno how they go in there??
I have my nutrient solution, of n,p,k it not strong its 10N,6P,8K and i give her full strength of that now, and occasional seasol. I backed off on Seasol use alittle now.. Instead im dissolving some P and K nutes, at about quart to half strength every 2nd or 3rd feed.
So my soil mix, should be holding a great amount of reserved nutes, i should be able to just water for a week or two, but she will prob be in flower by 10 days:):) So not much N any more, just micro nutes and P,K.. I m dissolving some sugar now and then to add some with my water solution! DUNNO IF ITS GUNNA HELP, MAYBE MY BUDS WILL BE PACKED WITH SUGAR INSTEAD OF TRICHS:)
I ve stopped using Distilled water now, as my tap water has calcium added into it and other things so i think its fine..
Good to see much conversations on soil:) I hope ive helped maybe give some people what can be done easily, with soil and a light!
Take care all, and keep up the topics! Feel free to bring up a query mate, as it keeps me busy!! Cheers peeps, SMOKEMUP..

Wow...my brain hurts...

I know this is going to be so useful to me later Smokem but it makes me realise how much I've got to learn :whoa:. I am keeping the subscribe to this even when it is a completed journal so I can refer back. Thank you to you and to the other more knowledgeable contributing members who make this such a great thread.

:nicethread:

G'day :)
How long did you veg that awesome LST for? You have way more patience than I have that's for sure.
You are adding sugar to your water? This won't cause other problems? I have heard of people using dextrose but not sugar, interesting.

Hey Budley!
My girl Cindy, is 9 weeks old so far, as she is nearly at the height i wanted im going to flower her when she s at least a metre tall all over..
This has been a fairly quick grow mate, i could have flowered her a week ago and have her on similar time as a hydro would take, maybe 2 weeks longer or so..
But i think my first attempt at LST has gone ok thus far, but as she is actually bigger than i planned for, i AM HAVING SPACING ISSUES..
Minor, but still, ive had to resort to removing fan leaves and such as theyre contacting each other and sweating.. Also the canopy is thick so i am getting as much light to the bud shoots as i can re gardless, she is female atm, im hoping i dont Hermi her, but she responds well to my gardening, and lets me know soon if there is a problem.. She can be sensitive, but yeah she has ample leaf material to photosynth. and store nutes/sugars so i reckon she be fine.. The sugar i gave her only this once, somethin different for her!
So in the next week or so, ill assess her again and she may go into flower soon after. Hoping for an even 5ft canopy at end of cycle, or close to it. Thanks for dropping by mate, and leaving some comments:) Catch ya mate.. Smokemup..

She is looking so good :) I can't wait to see her go into flower, she will be a hell of a Beast :)

Same GreenFingaz:):) Ive just gone over her, taken more fan leaves away and adjusted some tethers.. She is starting to INTIMIDATE me!!
As she nears 90cm, and looking at her growth, SHE CANNOT DOUBLE IN SIZE!!! OMG THATS SCARY:) Id be happy with 1.5ft stretch, she is gunna have some branches that should look pretty awsum - if i do say so myself!!
I have just been going thru her branches and shoots and ive created a monster...
But yeah as i said i reckon in a week or so shell be over a metre, and ready for my 600w HPS:yahoo: Im hoping the stronger light will keep her stretch down a little.. Will wait n see.. Thanks for your interest, it means alot knowin some one else thinks she s ok..
Some people have asked if its really 1 plant:) lol..She doesnt look that right off, well in a way i guess, having nearly 14 primary branches:):)
Fingers crossed that GANJA GOD will bless this plant o' mine, and see her thru to harvest in good sted.. I need to be on top of things, i have made a mistake unknowingly again, by putting my sticky traps on the top soil, it created a moisture area, and so she put some roots thru the bloody fresh top soil!!! GRRR.. So top up time- AGAIN!! Wont be doing this anymore... Was temtpted to put some sand on top fro the mites, but theyre not annoying me as much now..
Thanks again Gfingaz.. Later mate. Smokemup..

Same GreenFingaz:):) Ive just gone over her, taken more fan leaves away and adjusted some tethers.. She is starting to INTIMIDATE me!!

I swear, as much as I want a good yield I really hope Ruby doesn't turn out to be quite such a beautiful beast, I know there is no way I could handle her! You know what you are doing and look at the effect... this is why I wanted to grow, it really is a fun & exciting plant isn't it? :)

Lol.. Dont stress mate you ll have a fat time soon once she's gotten some size. Youll be thinkin big too:)
Take care chick, SMokem

* Photo Update *

Hello guys how is everyone today?? Im loving it atm - its just starting to hit the warm weather:):) AWSUMNESS..
Ive taken a few more photo s yesterday as she has good growth each 24 hrs, there s always something changing!!
WELL.. I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE - :hug: THAT CINDY IS NOW A MASSIVE 90cm TALL!! :woohoo::goof:
3ft already my little girl - sigh - it seems like it was only 9 weeks ago she was a sprout.. My how time flies.. LOL.
But yeah she has nearly a dead even canopy this morning, some are still few cm s below, but now the majority is 90cm. Thats mad, so im giving her 1 week i reckon til she will face the mighty 600w HPS BUD MAKIN MACHINE!!!
Any hoo, enough of my typechat... Here s Cindy yesterday..
2012-09-03_14_41_16.jpg
Trying to fit her in one pic is getting hard!
2012-09-03_14_35_44.jpg
Now she s at the black tape marker..
2012-09-03_14_40_10.jpg
2012-09-03_14_38_25.jpg
2012-09-03_14_37_58.jpg
2012-09-03_14_36_10.jpg
2012-09-03_14_38_41.jpg
I am so loving the shoots that she is pumping out, they look great and are sure to give me some buds, ive tried to get a few pics so you can see the under growth coming thru to not far below the primary branches cola's:) I NEED her to stretch some during flower!! Thank you EVERYONE for your nice comments, i greatly appreciate each and every comment and suggestion made, and especially from some of you who have grown and seen some great plants. So i do mean it when i say its appreciated :thanks::welcome: Will chat with you all soon. TAKE CARE GUYS, now go smoke a bowl!! lol, Catch ya.. Smokemup...

Absolutely beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful!

Cindy and I thank you both:) Lol... Cheers Tactic, i really want to see what these buds look like bro - im getting itchy scissor fingers!!! Im thinking ill put her to 16/8 for the next week, to help build up some more hormones before flower - and give her more growth time,rather than just going from 17/7 straight to 12/12. I know its fine to do, but i did similar with my past 3 grows..
So yeah.. THANK YOU FOR DROPPING BY MATE:thumb:
Smokemup..

Cindy looks so happy and healthy with all that lush green growth, you're doing a great job :)

When is the switch gonna be flipped to 12/12 ?

Thanks G/Fingaz!!
Yeah she's not doing too bad mate. I burned a leaf as it had grown thru my cage over my CFL:) Oh well, had to trim it off.
Took her biggest fan leaf off today! It was stopping vert growth from a big shoot under it, and also blocked light to 3 other big shoots.
I have regularly trimmed her fans to no ill affect thus far, im hoping that she will continue without any stress, as she has a shit load of foliage, i am not diminishing her ability to photosynth and store nutes/sigars..
Well i COULD be slowing some of her growth a little, but im not sure as she puts out about an inch at least all over her 14 tops, So that a fair effort especially when you think of the secondary shoots that are gaining size!
I will give her at least another week Veg guys, Im changing her light to 16/8 for the next week and she will be close to a metre by then.
So once flowered i hope she will stretch at least 1.5 ft, thatd be nearly perfect - but 5-6ft is fine, im just going to do some Guerilla grow tactics on her, taking all useless shoots site, concentrating on larger healthy ones able to give some good buds..
Im thinking maybe a 6 week flower or so.. Not certain will double check that later, think its 45 days??
THANKS GUYS... Youre all champs:):) Be good - or good at it!! SMOKEMUPM8:high-five:

WOW! So many things I picked up from reading these last 2 pages ! Then to finish with those pics of your amazingly monstrous girl, Cindy! What a way to close! :)

The next few weeks are going to be damn exciting! Thanks Smokem!!

I just have one thing to say really .... :adore:

I've watched Cindy the whole way and I feel so invested in her and you! With your brilliant intervention (cock ups included, to me points go for saves! Also makes me realise making mistakes isnt the end of the world) she has grown into this truly magnificient beast.

The only problem is I am slightly concerned she will put on her Doc Marten Boots and march her way out of there soon, and I really don't think you would be able to stop her! :) Impressive girl, just what I like to see.

She looks so lush as well, makes me want to cuddle her! :hug:

WOW! So many things I picked up from reading these last 2 pages ! Then to finish with those pics of your amazingly monstrous girl, Cindy! What a way to close! :)

The next few weeks are going to be damn exciting! Thanks Smokem!!

Hi Korloin:thumb:
THANK YOU for your great comments mate! I always like when other members have some new ideas/info they can post onto my journal - ITS ALL GOOD:welcome: This way, if someone reads my journal, there maybe some info along the way that they didnt know or realise and so it helps not just me, who-ever stops by:):)
Glad you liked Cindy's photos bro, its hard for me to take full pics of her now, i sort of have to do half at a time as she has so much growth all around her i cant fully show her in all her glory.. Shes not far away from a metre now:):)
Since she has shown me that she will respond to raising my light,by growing more - says to me that she CAN GROW FAIRLY BIG!!
She is nearly one metre at 9 weeks, so i may get some good stretching during flower after all.. I really hope she stays at about 6ft as over this will be too hard to light her properly without an extra light.
In a few weeks im buying more lights etc, so i may look into buying an LED panel or something thats thin and is low-heat, for additional lighting on my next grow, as if i do a similar style grow, it really needs side lights. My CFL in the cage is ok, but it is only a dodgy fill in for the present time.. Shortly it will return to my garage!!
I also am looking forward to the following few weeks.. Once i see some flowers forming, im a be STOKED!! So yeah, i think next Monday/Tuesday and the HPS will be lit up 12/12.. Take care mate, hope your garden of green gives you some nice buds too in good time:)
Have a good one guys, thanks for stopping by. CYA LATER ALLIGATOR:) Smokemup....:welcome:

THANK YOU FLUFFY!!!
Yes.. You have been here since she first came into the world, and you're - Aunty Fluffy now:):)
And thats right mate, as long as you get some help in time, your plants will bounce back but if youre told the wrong thing or did the wrong thing, well it can go wrong fast! As i learned with my Pyrethrum spray.. Stoopid stoopid stoopid!! But i didnt anticipate Cindy s root system being basically half a mm below the surface!! If that wasnt the case, she may not have reacted so fast in a bad way, but no, like 1 hr later n she was SAD:( Having you drop by my journal has been awsumness Fluff, as at first you were one of the only people who kept droppin by to say HI, so for this i thank you.. Ya usually put a smile on my dial, and thanks fa bein such a champ:goodjob:
Your comment about her puttin on the Doc martens... Well she has to have one cupboard door open ajar now, as her top is WAY WIDE, and if i fully close it, it pushes her branches back a little. Im going to have to do something soon, as when she hits 12/12 i cant have an opening like that in case of interrupting her. If i set my cycle right, i could set it so when its dark outside its dark for her... That will possibly be the safest way, as ill have no light from the sun or such on her..
I nearly want to flip her now, but have to be patient if i want a good yield:) A weeks growth on her now is about 12cm s of growth she'd miss out on.. Anyways pal, i must scoot as i have to work..GRR X( . Oh well, gotta pay bills. Thanks again Fluffy, chat soon pal. Smokemup..

Back
Top Bottom