OldMedUser's - 3 Strain - DWC - Soilless - ScroG - ExtravaGanja!

heres the jist on naptha

Naphtha (/ˈnæfθə/ or /ˈnæpθə/) is a general term that has been used for over two thousand years to refer to flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixtures. Mixtures labelled naphtha have been produced from natural gas condensates, petroleum distillates, and the distillation of coal tar and peat. It is used differently in different industries and regions to refer to gross products like crude oil or refined products such as kerosene. (See Etymology)

When I was a kid and lived in the bush- well...even more in the bush -we called it white gas-used it in lanterns and sometimes camping stoves. So I tend to think of it that way but will do some research. I wish I had access to strong ethyl alcohol, for all the wonderful industrial uses I could put it to. Probably will have to put together a still one of these days.

That's what we called it too. White gas because it wasn't coloured like gas you pay road tax on. On the way to the cabin dad would fill up everything and get the white gas at the gas station that came out of a 45gal drum. The Coleman stuff has rust inhibitors in it that are green and get left behind when I distil it. The last 50 miles to the cabin were pretty rough and we always had 4 or 5 spare tires for the old '52 Pontiac Strato Chief and the trailer dad had built had a chevy axle so the spares fit it too. Ripped out the oil pan once on the real rough 8 miles from the lake to the main game trail that went back to Lillooet and paved roads.

Lot of logging been going on up that way so the road is really nice gravel about 6 lanes wide to the lake road then nice until we get where we have to take the old logging road around the back of the lake to get to our cabin. Guy that bought my dad's buddy's cabin is a rich dude that owns a construction company back in Vancouver and leaves a D6 CAT parked up there to maintain the road for everybody. Real jerk otherwise.

Coleman's was $4 more than the cheaper crap but is a lot better. Boils at 71-75C and the cheap crap goes over at 83-86. Almost $20/gal now tho.

L8r

Couple pics of the grow to update a bit.

NL Girl first. Sun is getting a bit low and when I put her out I saw that piece of white board so I set it up behind her and it does reflect a lot of light to the back of the plant like that. Can't hurt. She is barely growing in height but all the nodes on the side branches are filling in the middle. So there's how you keep a plant very compact but get a couple hundred bud sites on her for a decent yield by topping the side branches.

NL5Girl-230815-01.JPG

This pic is from 2 days ago and shows what's going on. Yellowing is proceeding on the pot grown girls but none on the DWC girl who is doing great with really nice colas developing for 26 days since the flip. Her branches are all in the front hiding the other ones. The potted girls are getting flushed tomorrow I hope.

I moved a couple of branches of other ones and tied them to the vertical screen at the back. Need to move a couple more but will have to cut some of the screen to be able to move them. Next time I do that I'll grow the plant(s) into the screen.

ScroG-210815-01.JPG

In case anyone was wondering here's what the screen looks like when I installed it. Heavier gauge wire than the vertical screen and had to cut it with small bolt cutters. It hooks to the other one at the back and sides for support and can be lifted from the front to cram plants under and feed the branches thru the holes like I did with these ones. PITA If the plants pushed from below the whole screen can lift with it. 4 ft wide across the front and 2 ft deep in the middle. I want bigger holes but we were out of the stuff that's on the wall because the wife expanded her chicken empire again. Once those girls are off it I'm going to remove every 2nd cross bar starting from the front.

Screen01.jpg

L8r

I think that can be arranged Far East. So busy catching up on all my subs I barely have time to come in here. Time to ask for a raise! :)

I did the flush on the badly yellowing plant yesterday. Took hours to get that done. Put about 8 gals through the 4 gal pot and finished it off with a gallon of 2/3 strength Connoisseur, Rhino Skin, 2tsp epsom salts and a half tsp Big Bud. A gallon is what it usually takes for a good watering when really dry. Still a wee bit of yellowing going on but seems a lot slower and may take a few days to know for sure if the flush fixed what's ailing her. Looks real healthy otherwise and the buds are still growing. I'll have to wait until lights out around midnight then sneak in right after and take a couple of flash shots to be able to compare to earlier pictures.

In the meantime here's a pic of the flushing process. Shop vac made it easy to suck the nutes out of the tray. Fed those to the wife's greenhouse tomatoes and peppers. Also fed the dozen flowering pepper plants in the garden that look way better but won't have time to grow peppers out from the new flowers before it's too cold. Lots of almost ripe peppers on them. Garden tomatoes are full of fruit but hardly getting ripe yet like usual. Corn is the best yet!

Flush01.JPG

My NL5 girl is still being treated for mites and thrips. Went over her very carefully before this 3rd spray with neem and only found 1 live mite and zero thrips so it looks like I'm winning the battle! I'll pick up some Safer's Insecticidal soap concentrate tomorrow and add some neem to that for the forth, and I hope, final spray.

Here she is all wet and sexy fresh out of her shower. :)

Side view

NL5Girl-250815-03.JPG

Top view

NL5Girl-250815-01.JPG

We had a wicked storm today with lightning all around us and it sounded like artillery fire out there. She got all scared and hid under the shelf she usually sits on. I got her a nice night light, 85W, 5000K CFL and left her there as is was no fit weather for man or plant. :) Need to give her a couple hours in the morning and a few more in the evening to keep her happy in veg. Get my tent covered and some fluoros on her to keep her slowly growing and healthy while the flowering plants finish up around the end of Sept.

NL5Girl-250815-02.JPG

I'll try to get a couple pics up later or first thing tomorrow to show the yellowing on the ScroG.

That's all folks! :ciao:

L8r

Love the top View of the plant really shows how full she is... Pretty Girl!

Hose her down! nice that it isn't all bud's yet... well not good that she isn't done...but to deal with the bugs...
Glad you are winning I truly can tell you it feels good when you are.... Those mites are tiny little hard to see damage doers! Takes time to truly go through the whole plant once... and you know if eggs pop tomorrow...lol Keep at it she does look nice!

Thank you for posting ... I'm better now...
:peace:

OMU, your sence of humor is priceless. It's the best thing to have when you start growing. If you can't make light of the stumbles and occasional catastrophes, you'll drown in anger and disgust while your plants suffer. Cudos to you.

So with that, I'm on board for the comedy grow. Keep 'em
green!!
And try to keep the 2-legged pests under control, will ya?
​Andy.

Love the top View of the plant really shows how full she is... Pretty Girl!

Hose her down! nice that it isn't all bud's yet... well not good that she isn't done...but to deal with the bugs...
Glad you are winning I truly can tell you it feels good when you are.... Those mites are tiny little hard to see damage doers! Takes time to truly go through the whole plant once... and you know if eggs pop tomorrow...lol Keep at it she does look nice!

Thank you for posting ... I'm better now...
:peace:

That plant has a hell of a lot of leaves to check but I don't check every one. Found that mite after a couple minutes and checked maybe 30 more leaves and didn't see any more but made sure every leaf was soaked top and bottom. Most leaves get a half dozen sprays as I rake them backwards with one hand and spray a fairly coarse spray with the other. A fine mist doesn't coat as well. Any missed spots look almost white beside wet surface underneath where the mites live with my 500W halogen shop light blazing at her. I didn't find one egg either when I looked.

Subbed and just want to say thank you for all of your help and encouragement in my grow OMU! I really appreciate it brother.

Not a problem Bama. I live to serve! :)

OMU, your sence of humor is priceless. It's the best thing to have when you start growing. If you can't make light of the stumbles and occasional catastrophes, you'll drown in anger and disgust while your plants suffer. Cudos to you.

So with that, I'm on board for the comedy grow. Keep 'em
green!!
And try to keep the 2-legged pests under control, will ya?
​Andy.

Not allowed to kill the two-legged pests but any more legs than that is fair game! :rip:

Looks cool, I'm subbed!
Glad to have you along JoJo! :passitleft:

It has been awesome looking at your journal will keep following! Thanks for your help. If you have a minute take a look at my journal!

Bin dere dun dat. :;):

So after all the hassle flushing that girl yesterday I find it may have all been for nought. Just for the hell of it I took a little soil sample from each pot a couple inches down and floated the crud to the top of the sample cup, laid a doubled piece of toilet paper on the top to pick up whatever came to the top. Laid that on the desk and scoped it with my little 30X Radio Shack scope and saw a fungus gnat larva! I have some FG Killer dust I'll sprinkle on the soil a bit then cover with a half inch of diatomaceous earth. Should turn the ship around within a week I hope. I'll have to bottom water to keep the surface dry and not disturb the DE but I do that quite a bit anyway.

L8r

I've never had those gnats that everyone keeps talking about. At least I don't think I have. Never even heard of them till I joined here but haven't noticed anything gnatty flying around before. They sound pretty easy to control though from what I think I heard. Good luck with it man. :thumb: This hobby sure starts to feel like a job at times...

Oh great, now you have me worried about fungus gnats. How'd you get them? I'd like to not do whatever that is.

Looking great, despite the bug issues.

Don't be stingy OMU pull some dirt off top and put in new... get rid of it.... I really hate bugs... pull out like 2 inches spray and replace top 2 with fresh... I don't want to see you sprout the larvae that would be a disaster!

I know you debated it.... She's too pretty....
FE

I've never had those gnats that everyone keeps talking about. At least I don't think I have. Never even heard of them till I joined here but haven't noticed anything gnatty flying around before. They sound pretty easy to control though from what I think I heard. Good luck with it man. :thumb: This hobby sure starts to feel like a job at times...

Thanks WC. Now that I know what's causing the yellowing it's an easy fix.

had some car trouble, but im here now.

subbed.
:thumb:

:welcome: Mussh. Thanks for dropping in.

Oh great, now you have me worried about fungus gnats. How'd you get them? I'd like to not do whatever that is.

Looking great, despite the bug issues.

The little buggers are always hanging around SG. I have a few yellow sticky traps around that have been picking up the adults for a year now. I didn't hardly think about it as here weren't many and I didn't see more than one or two every now and then. Easy enough to get them tho. A pregnant female comes in on your clothes, a bag of dirt in or near your grow room is infected and they wander over and start laying eggs in your pots. They often get into bags of soil that are sitting outside, or inside even, at stores. They lay their eggs in the little holes in the bags and you take the bags home to fill your pots with infected dirt. I'm sure I got mites from real dirt I used 13 years ago that devastated my whole grow. It was a premium organic mix like Happy Frog or whatever those ones are that are chock full of natural nutes and cost one arm and half a leg. Never again!

Don't be stingy OMU pull some dirt off top and put in new... get rid of it.... I really hate bugs... pull out like 2 inches spray and replace top 2 with fresh... I don't want to see you sprout the larvae that would be a disaster!

I know you debated it.... She's too pretty....
FE

I don't know were you read to get rid of gnats that way Far East but it won't work. They work their way all thru the root ball and can even emerge from the drain holes. The only way to get rid of them completely is to prevent them from getting in or out of the rootball alive and here's what I'm going to do.

fungusgnatlife.gif

Battling any pest is best accomplished by interrupting a crucial part of their life cycle. With fungus gnats the adults do no damage to your plant's foliage. Once they emerge from the soil and become adults they just fly around and mate. The males die and the female lays her eggs on moist soil. Then the larva hatch and start feeding. Their preferred food is the fine root hairs that are crucial for your plant to absorb and process nutrients so it can grow normally. The thicker parts of the roots can still absorb water but there are enzymes that do things to the nutes at the root hair level that the bigger roots can't do. Lot of scientific stuff I don't pretend to understand but know it needs to happen.

Once enough of those hairs are destroyed the plant exhibits signs of nutrient deficiencies just like mine are doing. Confusing as hell because all the nutes are lacking so diagnosis is near impossible. I fell for it as it's been so long since I had an infestation bad enough to affect the plants this bad.

I have some Fungus Gnat Killer Dust and sprinkled a thin layer of it on the top of the pots last night. The poison in it is chlorpyrifos. A very common organo-phosphate used on many food crops to get rid of all sorts of pests. It is not absorbed by the plant at all so is perfectly safe to put on the soil and very effective as a contact poison to lay waste to those hungry larva. I'll be going down there shortly to put a good layer of diatomaceous earth on top making sure to leave no gaps. Any larva trying to get to the surface that survives the poison will never make it thru a half inch of DE. Even if it did the sharp little edges of the diatoms will slice it up and dry it up like a mummy so it will die a virgin. As they could still get in or out of the drain holes I plan to tape coffee filters over the hole. The pots I'm using have 4 large square drain holes on the sides at the bottom so a little scotch tape should seal them good. I'll likely have to replace them after watering which I will do by filling the tray and bottom watering to keep the top of the rootball dry.

One thing that still confuses me is that if the infestation is so bad to affect the plant so much why aren't I seeing my sticky traps covered in adults or swarms of them flying around the room?

I'll have to check the NL girl's soil too. Very likely they're in there as well but she's not showing any symptoms as yet.

That's the plan. :)

L8r

no wonder the gnats I have is just a pain compared to other bugs I don't know how the hell they are propagating in hydroton but they are
one thing they cant get to is the roots in the water just see one or 2 here and there in each area so theres a few in the room
I never had any in the room till I brought soil in then I had the gnats and ended up with thrips
got rid of the soil all hydro indoors now battled and got rid of the thrips
the gnats seems to hang around still cant get rid of them lol
maybe ill start running sns stuff through the top on res change day the drench thing and let it sit for 10-15 min before I rinse and put it back
I dunno ill figure it out they arent killing the plants they are more of a pest to me the gnats are anywho
the thrips they caused damage noticeable damage glad they are gone last summer was the summer of thrips lots of people were having issues with them

Back
Top Bottom