OldMedUser's - 3 Strain - DWC - Soilless - ScroG - ExtravaGanja!

With thrips you can at least see the damage right away and if on top of them wipe them out by hand. Fungus gnats are sneaky. Doing all their dirty deeds underground out of sight. Always something. :)

L8r

I had so many and they were so small and in places where your gonna damage the leaf to smash them
I had to spray to get rid of mine but it worked

You guys have me worried... Will be watching for little flying things.

Homo Sapiens, the dominant species on the planet, locked in battle with tiny insects...
I hope I don't have to pay to see that stupid-ass movie again. Man vs. Mites was enough for me. Boring, depressing, extremely repetitive plot, waaaaaaay tooooooooo looooooooong. Happy ending not worth sitting through for two whole years, counting intermissions. Definitely two thumbs down, and I pray there is no sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East Buds View Post
Don't be stingy OMU pull some dirt off top and put in new... get rid of it.... I really hate bugs... pull out like 2 inches spray and replace top 2 with fresh... I don't want to see you sprout the larvae that would be a disaster!

My mistake I was reading about a pest that lays eggs in dirt and you are suppose to remove top couple inches.... I guess that wasn't nats....

pests can get further down than 2 inches
and can be all in your root system you can treat it but trying to change soil would be a moot point I would think

and can be all in your root system you can treat it but trying to change soil would be a moot point I would think

Yah I was just talking about a bug I was reading about that dumped it's larva like in the top of the soil... Not related...disregard... going back to sleep....zzzzz

OMU!!

About time you add your journal to your signature! Do you know how long I've been looking for your journal?!?

You and I come through many of the same threads and the advice and information you give is as good as gold. So, it only makes sense that I surround myself with the best people. You're a best people! :rofl:

If you don't mind I'm gonna come chill in your pages of expertise.

I'm going to have to go back and read some pages. So, ill be back!

I had so many and they were so small and in places where your gonna damage the leaf to smash them
I had to spray to get rid of mine but it worked

The thrips I have just need a little rub to squish them. Maybe you have a tougher strain or something. PITA either way. :)

You guys have me worried... Will be watching for little flying things.

Homo Sapiens, the dominant species on the planet, locked in battle with tiny insects...
I hope I don't have to pay to see that stupid-ass movie again. Man vs. Mites was enough for me. Boring, depressing, extremely repetitive plot, waaaaaaay tooooooooo looooooooong. Happy ending not worth sitting through for two whole years, counting intermissions. Definitely two thumbs down, and I pray there is no sequel.

Anytime you see spots on your leaves check real close underneath. Mites are so tiny you need at least a 10x magnifying glass to see that tiny dot is one. They move around a lot so if I stare at the spot I can see it moving with just my reading glasses on then take a piece of leaf in for a closer look.

I don't know that changing soil would get rid of the little buggers without shocking the plant so bad it died. Let them eat dead roots! That'll teach 'em. :)

Yah I was just talking about a bug I was reading about that dumped it's larva like in the top of the soil... Not related...disregard... going back to sleep....zzzzz

All sorts of bugs Far East. Hard to figure out sometimes who is who. Your intentions were noble. :thumb:

I got the DE on the top and rather than try to cover the drain holes I mixed a batch of nutes with neem and 1ml of soap then flooded the trays so the neem has soaked in there real good. I took a soil sample from a drain hole on each but didn't find any larva but if it is the larva causing my yellowing problem there has to be a hell of a lot of them. Pics to follow.

L8r

OMU!!

About time you add your journal to your signature! Do you know how long I've been looking for your journal?!?

You and I come through many of the same threads and the advice and information you give is as good as gold. So, it only makes sense that I surround myself with the best people. You're a best people! :rofl:

If you don't mind I'm gonna come chill in your pages of expertise.

I'm going to have to go back and read some pages. So, ill be back!

High Pigeons420 and welcome aboard the good ship Lollipopper! :)

I had been posting for a while before I started this journal and put the link in my sig right away but found out that it only shows in posts I've made since so older posts don't have it. Oh well, we only have lifeboats for so many in case the ship goes down. :rofl:

Thanks for the vote of confidence it means a lot. :adore:

I find I'm digging through my grow bibles more to double check things and make sure I hand out proper info. Especially trying to suss out deficiency problems. Just a picture of a sick leaf in a book isn't near enough in many cases and reading the various other things that happen to the plants is often the only way. So many folks want to blame Ca for almost anything and give it lots more CalMag when it's often the wrong thing to do. Seems to be really big with the LED crowd but I haven't found anything solid about LED grown pot needing any more than pot grown under other lights. If anyone has a link to some real data about that I'd be happy to see it.

L8r

Time for a little update I guess at 32 days since the flip, 25 if you count from when flowers started showing. The DE is layered nicely on top of both pots. Better to make sure the top is nice and dry as the DE on the flushed one wicked up the moisture and cracked like a dry lake bed. I sprinkled on some more and smoothed it over. Likely have to do that a couple more times.

I took a bunch of pics at different settings with the grow lights off and here's the best two. First one is no flash and just a 40W, 6500K CFL going and the 2nd is with that light and the flash. The flash makes the buds "pop" better. The DWC girl is really rocking compared to the other two but maybe they'll get in gear if this bug thing was what was holding them back.

ScroG-270815-02.JPG
ScroG-270815-03.JPG

A close shot of one of the colas under the HPS. A slight tweak of the edge effect to show the trichs off a bit better.

ScroG-270815-01.JPG

I'm thinking of trying some colloidal silver in the DWC and see what happens. Start with 100mls then add more as I go along. Maybe once I have some clones going, use my mini DWC cloner to grow one using colloidal silver instead of RO water and my regular nutes. Just to see if it dies or thrives. I'll need to make a couple more gallons of CS but I can make two qts/L/day so that's not a big deal.

I wonder what some pink Himalayan sea salt with it's 87 minerals would do? :hmmmm:

L8r

fungus gnats are not very strong fliers.
put a fan blowing on the base of your pots. the fan will blow them out and they will not be strong enough to fly back into it. hang a couple fly strips and your problem will disappear.

it worked for me. when I first started growing I made the huge mistake of buying a plant from the store and setting it in my flower room. by the time I realized what was happening, it was to late. I had fungus gnats. I tried a lot of different solutions. the only one that worked, was the fan and fly strips.

put a fan blowing on the base of your pots. the fan will blow them out and they will not be strong enough to fly back into it. hang a couple fly strips and your problem will disappear.

it worked for me. when I first started growing I made the huge mistake of buying a plant from the store and setting it in my flower room. by the time I realized what was happening, it was to late. I had fungus gnats. I tried a lot of different solutions. the only one that worked, was the fan and fly strips.

wow and so simple too

I've also read that "mosquito dunks" can be quite effective when added to the feeding. The biggest problem I had with gnats was that they not only flew around the top of the container, but also in/around the drainage holes. Keep an eye out there too! mussh's recommendation for the fan is great and simple though!

As for the colloidal silver, I've never heard of adding it to a reservoir! Is this something you've read about or are you just curious??

Hmm that training is great! :D Keep up the good work oldmed!

Wasn't so much training as it was brute force Lexblaze. They were full grown when I stuffed them thru the screen. :)

Things look great all thinks considered. Good Job with the battle... they don't know who they messed with....!

They never will now that they are entombed. Nya-ha-ha! lol

I wouldn't trust that method myself. They'd be blown by the fan right into the plant and crawl down the lee side of the main stem to lay their eggs. I found them breeding in the sump hole before and it just dawned on me that the gap under the cover I made needs to be refilled with DE. I shall do that forthwith! I have a new sticky trap on the main stem above the DE to see if I get any adults.

Hey OldMed, like what I have read so far. Seems you are doing well except for the gnat issue earlier. They have gotten pretty bad here also. I'm going on a gnat murdering mission tomorrow with some SNS stuff to see how well it works. Good luck on your grow, I'll follow along if you don't mind...
GB80

Welcome aboard Guambomb80! I'm going to wait for a week then take soil samples and check for larvae.

wow and so simple too

I tend to be skeptical of simple solutions.

I've also read that "mosquito dunks" can be quite effective when added to the feeding. The biggest problem I had with gnats was that they not only flew around the top of the container, but also in/around the drainage holes. Keep an eye out there too! mussh's recommendation for the fan is great and simple though!

As for the colloidal silver, I've never heard of adding it to a reservoir! Is this something you've read about or are you just curious??

I added neem to the feeding and bottom watered so the neem was drawn in through the drain holes. Hoping that makes it impossible for them to get in and out that way. I've heard about those dunks but never seen them here.

As to the CS it does so much great stuff and I read recently about a CS/peroxide treatment for root rot and it got me wondering. I'll wait and try it on a single plant when it's little and compare it to others grown the same rather than risk my golden girl. :) I put 100mls into my 500ml sprayer to hose down my NL5 girl for her fourth treatment tonight. Used different stuff this time. Safer's End-All II. Basically Insecticidal soap and Pyrethrins. Spent 20 min examining leaves before spraying and couldn't find a single bug of any kind. :yahoo:

No more going outside for her. Get my tent done tomorrow I hope and move her into the basement.

Had to move my lights up a couple inches. Getting some bleaching, little bit of canoeing and the beginnings of a bit of foxtailing. All indications of the lights being to close. Plus the tip of the big cola on the left side has greened up since I angled the light away from her a couple days ago. Leaves are still yellowing at a reduced rate.

L8r

Sucks what your going through with those gnats!

You've given me a gnat Phobia!
If you entomb them will wreak havoc in there?

When I redo my room and I am now going to paint, cover my drain. Plant NEVER outside !
Clean the shit out of everything!

Sucks but thanks for the experience... I'd be crying... and someday probably will be.. ;/

FE

Hey there OMU. Lots of people just let the gnats be, because they don't seem to affect harvest, but I hate them being around because they always crash landed in my buds and I was having to pick gnats off my colas - so I found a solution. I used spinosad (Monterey garden insect spray) as a root drench in my dwc's when I discovered them in my room. I root drenched 3 or 4 times with the full strength spray dilution and then I started letting my plants dry out alot more than they had been (EDIT: I didn't fill the res as often in my dwc's and let my coco plants dry out more). I put the yellow sticky traps around just to make sure I got them all, and in a week or two (after the last root drench) I stopped seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom