Purple Kush, Regular/Photo - DynoMyco We Want You - Side-By-Side Comparative Grow

I got busy yesterday on an unrelated project and I didn't get up to the grow rooms to give my 2 solo cups of water to the 3 SIP containers. Expecting disaster I rushed up there this morning to check on things, and predictably, each container took 4 solo cups of water before producing drainage. Now I know that I have about a 2 day reserve of water in this system, and approximately how much the plant is using per day. This will probably change as the plants get bigger, and I may have to start watering a couple of times a day. The plants were fine this time, but maybe a little less praying than we have seen the last few days. Moisture could still be felt at the top surface, but not as much as I have been seeing. I will do another update later today when I water again, with pictures. The plan is to move these 3 plants to the bloom room to experience their first long night, tonight.

ooops... I forgot to come back that last time with pictures. I wish I had, because it would show the huge difference just a few days makes after moving to SIP. Here are the plants today:

DSCF1633.JPG

They are presently 83 days old. They were moved into bloom 6 days ago. The transition was quick and only took 4 days. I attribute this to the red trigger lights, the brightness of the big light, and perfect watering conditions. Today is the 2nd day of Bloom. Can you guess which plant is the @DYNOMYCO plant?

¡ɹǝʇuǝɔ ʞɔɐq ǝɥʇ uᴉ ǝuo ʇsǝƃƃᴉq ǝɥʇ sᴉ ʇᴉ ǝsɹnoɔ ɟo

The growth on these plants is incredible. @DYNOMYCO and SIP, a winning combination!

Purple Kush Day 3 bloom.JPG
Purple Kush Day 3 bloom(2).JPG
Purple Kush Day 3 bloom(3).JPG

Here are some shots of the quickly forming buds

Purple Kush Bud 3 days (1).JPG
Purple Kush Bud 3 days (2).JPG
Purple Kush Bud 3 days (3).JPG

I am starting to clean up the lower canopy. There are going to be plenty of buds at the top of the canopy, so we don't need any of the lower flarf. Moisture is also potentially a problem, so I want some very good airflow in the lower canopy, where moisture tends to get trapped. I got one plant done today... the other two will get done tomorrow.

Purple Kush Lower Canopy trimmed.JPG

Water use remains high, at about a liter per day. Color is starting to come back after the feeding yesterday. All of the branches have become thick and strong, with bud sites filling in along the full length. Stretch seems to be at a minimum, but the Nextlight MEGA did need to be raised a few inches today. I am trying hard to keep the light between 12" - 18" above the canopy, or at least as much as the plants can handle.

WOW! I have now trimmed the lower third of each of the plants. It is clear that this is no normal 5g bucket grow... these plants are huge! Stretch has started and they are not only stretching upward, they are also getting wider. We have vertical room for them to double in size if that is what they want to do. These plants are likely to yield more than I have ever seen come out of a 5 gallon container. The thick stalks and bud set density says these plants are ready to produce!

We are at day 85 of life, day 4 of bloom, and day 2 of the feeding cycle. At the moment they seem to be using about 1500 ml of water a day per plant.

Purple Kush beginning to stretch Day 4 of bloom.JPG

This is incredible. This is our @DYNOMYCO plant, and she is exploding with growth. Thankfully, the far red trigger lights are working and stretch is being held to a minimum.

The remarkable thing is not just the amazing size she has gained because every branch has spread out and is throwing out an amazing amount of growth, but the overall vigor of these plants is astounding. Each branch is a stalk that a 1 month veg plant would be proud to call its main stalk. The entire plant is in a state of hyperdrive that can be seen from a hundred different points. It might just be the strain, it might be because I have pulled the MEGA down to no more than 18 inches, but it probably is the air gap causing all of this. These 6 day blooms are tighter and have way more dense pistils shooting out of them than I remember seeing in a lot of plants these days. I am excited! This appears to be turning out to be one of my better grows, and it all started turning around when I went to SIP.

dynomyco purple kush.JPG

The entire plant is in a state of hyperdrive that can be seen from a hundred different points. It might just be the strain, it might be because I have pulled the MEGA down to no more than 18 inches, but it probably is the air gap causing all off this.
:thumb:

Since I started my "poor man's SIP' (start w/ a 'regular' bucket w/ holes in the bottom, add a bit of a deep pan bigger than the bucket, and water into the pan) my phototype has flipping EXPLODED and is HUGE. Trimmed out the sun leaves today, and can barely tell the diff.. Figure to take her to 12/12 this w/e, she's just getting to flipping BIG to deal with, huge branch structure, but may want to scrog just to provide support.. Another reason to Flip her - she's drinking 2L + / day... kinda don't have to water morning AND night, I mean, who owns who, am I right? (10 weeks, I think, w/o counting from post dates in the grow journal) But summa beech, she's damned near 3x3 as she sits... and that's AFTER trimming a salad bowl of fan leaf, some the size of my hand...

(In Other Words, thank you SO much for turning me on to SIP!!!) (have yet to see if it will not drown the plant if there's more dirt in the 3.5 gal pots...

Water use remains high, at about a liter per day. Color is starting to come back after the feeding yesterday. All of the branches have become thick and strong, with bud sites filling in along the full length. Stretch seems to be at a minimum, but the Nextlight MEGA did need to be raised a few inches today. I am trying hard to keep the light between 12" - 18" above the canopy, or at least as much as the plants can handle.

My Gold Leaf Monster is up to nearly 3L / day!

Today was feeding day, so each plant got 1/2 cup of @GeoFlora Nutrients BLOOM. This was top dressed and watered in from the top, twice. What I mean by that is that I gave one of my watering pitchers from the top, and then knowing that in the two day span since last watering they would have used about 5 of my watering pitchers, I gave 3 more pitchers into the Reservoir, and then gave a final pitcher (about 3.5 cups) over the top again, being sure to wet all of the geoflora and hopefully drive it down into the soil.

The plants were starting to look a little hungry, so this feeding seems to be right on time. We are at day 15 of bloom, and I believe that stretch is mostly over. The big puffy blooms all over these plants are very beautiful and clearly these are going to all be high yielding plants.

pk day 15.JPG
pkday15.JPG
pk day15.JPG

Today we are at day 20 of flower. Purple is coming in very heavily on one plant, is barely noticeable on another and not even a hint of it on the last. They keep getting rotated around in the room, so its not placement under the light that is causing the difference, so it has to be different phenotypes. F1 seeds tend to do that. I am just happy that I have one true PK in this batch, and if I were so inclined, now would be the time to take clones of this happy, healthy and very purple plant.

purple reaching to the sky.JPG
purple from the top.JPG

We fed @GeoFlora Nutrients BLOOM 5 days ago, but I am seeing signs of hunger in the lower fans. This should not be happening, so that told me it is time to top water the nutrients in another time. Along with filling the reservoir this morning, I also gave 2 watering pitchers worth of water from the top. This may indeed be necessary periodically when using Geoflora and does not surprise or intimidate me in any way.

signs of hunger.JPG

Other than this, the plants are very strong and healthy. Stretch has indeed stopped and the far red lights did their job at keeping stretch very manageable, adding only around 60% to their end of veg height.

the tallest bud in the room.JPG

middle plant just starting to purple.JPG

Hi Em!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around top feeding nutes being used in a sippy pot. Don't the nutes just sit on top of the soil? Is there enough water being pulled up from below to engage the top nutes? When I first read of this process my first thought was it would work great with liquid nutes but Geoflora may not work - for the reasons you are seeing now.

Hi Em!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around top feeding nutes being used in a sippy pot. Don't the nutes just sit on top of the soil? Is there enough water being pulled up from below to engage the top nutes? When I first read of this process my first thought was it would work great with liquid nutes but Geoflora may not work - for the reasons you are seeing now.
It may be my fault that the surface got too dry. I haven't been watering every day, and I have to think that with a full reservoir the water would go up further. It's no biggie though, because a little top water goes a long ways to melt off some more nutes and microbes. I bet we see an end of the deficiency as early as tomorrow. It blows my mind too, but it seems that as long as I can keep it moist at the top with the SIP, the topdressing works as it always has. In my other room in the larger SIPs, and their humongous wick feet, this isn't an issue at all. The only thing I have done differently in there is to top water on the day that I top feed, not enough to produce runoff, but enough to drive the nutrients down into the soil and get them wet the first time.

It may be my fault that the surface got too dry. I haven't been watering every day, and I have to think that with a full reservoir the water would go up further. It's no biggie though, because a little top water goes a long ways to melt off some more nutes and microbes. I bet we see an end of the deficiency as early as tomorrow. It blows my mind too, but it seems that as long as I can keep it moist at the top with the SIP, the topdressing works as it always has. In my other room in the larger SIPs, and their humongous wick feet, this isn't an issue at all. The only thing I have done differently in there is to top water on the day that I top feed, not enough to produce runoff, but enough to drive the nutrients down into the soil and get them wet the first time.
Ah, gotcha.

I learn so many new things from you and others here. I was showing a friend how I bucket wash and also dry in the refrigerator and she looked at me like I was from Pluto.

You are pretty cool. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge - thanks!

In this last period of time I am not noticing any additional leaf droppings and some of the green (and purple) is returning to the leaves. Today because of the top watering last time, they did not need a lot of water, and one of the drip trays even showed some significant runoff from last time, proving that top water and bottom water are cumulative in this system.

The plants all look amazing, with the leaves strongly reaching up to the light. The purple gets more dramatic by the day and the buds keep filling in along the branches. We are at day 21 of bloom today, and so far there are no problems holding everything up. I am ready to start installing my build as you go tomato cages if need be.

Tonight, a quick study of each of the plants individually after a sample of bud shots from all around the room.

purple kush buds day 21 (5).JPG
purple kush buds day 21 (4).JPG
purple kush buds day 21 (3).JPG
purple kush buds day 21 (2).JPG
purple kush buds day 21.JPG
second most purple.JPG
the least purple.JPG
the most purple.JPG

One of the plants in my 2nd grow apparently, has a genetic issue w/ MG - she wants a LOT of it.
>Research< no biggie, add a bit of Epsom salt once in a while... - while doing the research, came across THIS note on how much to water your plants, as you transition them -
"Plants in the flowering stage need more water, so allot 1 liter per plant every other day."
Given that Emilya and I both have monsters SIPping up 2+L Per Day, I found that to be somewhat amusing...
Just saying..

smallest purple kush.JPG
prettiest purple kush.JPG
biggest purple kush.JPG

I have been noticing yellowing down low and have actually lost a few leaves. This is happening all around the room, and being the reactionary that I tend to be, I instantly blamed the newest thing in the room, the SIP method and my guess that @GeoFlora Nutrients needing extra attention when using this bottom watering method.

But hold on one Missouri minute... I realized I had not been giving Turpinator, as has been recommended by GeoFlora as an extra supplement that is helpful in our grows. Twice now since that realization, I have added Turpinator, and this last time Massive too, and sure enough, the green (and purple) is coming back into the leaves. No more have gone yellow. These are just aggressively hungry plants that needed more potassium.

green coming back after giving terpinator.JPG

Back
Top Bottom