Day 72 above ground

Tent temp: 19C
Tent RH%: 40-60% (currently set to 50%)
Previous PPM: 1092 PPM
Current PPM: 1250 PPM
Adjusted PPM to: 853 PPM
PH: 6.2 (adjusted to 5.8)
Res temp: 18.5C
Water level: drank 2/3 of reservoir over the weekend (reservoir had around 70-80L) ...minus a bit on the floor.

Well folks it's the last day of the weekend, I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Yesterday I attempted to place the vapor barrier up, that got stopped due to a lack of staples, I'll pick some up later this week and finish the job.

The plants over the weekend have felt the cold, but are still within the limits. The amount of nutrients they went through over the weekend was nice to see. There was a slight rise in PPM as shown in today's update, but the water level was down so much- its nothing too concerning. I topped with RO water that has some cal mag, and ph'd the reservoir.

Some exciting news in the upcoming months with a new press being sent by Dabpress. The details are still being ironed out, but after some kief gets pressed, a nice sized amount of this grow will be turned to Rosin. More details when the time comes:hookah:

A quick check on the girls this morning shows the frost continues to build, and some stretch is still going on.
A few upper fan leaves were removed from the Bruce Banner Auto to let a bit more light get through.

So, while not a lot of Supercropping has been done. But behind the scenes the odd bit of pinching has been done. It's a technique that I picked up from a previous member on the forum (Pennywise), and I can say at this point it works.

The method falls under HST training, but has a quick recovery (at least from my observations).

How it's done:

It's done much easier when the stems are pliable, but can be done in flower with some patience.

Pick the cola/branch that needs to be slowed in the stretch. Now, just as you would preform a Supercrop, pinch the stem. Your looking for a feeling of a slight pop. If the spot is difficult to pop- two options can be done. You can use a pair of pliers, and gently squeeze, careful not to rip the stem with the teeth of the pliers. Or you can do it via site preparation. You're going to soften the spot by squeezing the spot you've chosen by pinching all the way around. Don't forget where you did it. Cause the next time you check on the plant (within 12hrs) you'll squeeze again, a bit harder and you should feel a slight pop. That's it. It's nothing hard or fancy, but as the plant is repairing that spot, it will slow the upward growth on that cola. If you are lucky a knuckle will form.

The same bruising technique can be done to help bend a branch as well. By softening the surrounding plant tissue, the odds of a rip/tear/break seem to lessen. But that's pretty much entering the area of a Supercrop, just not necessarily at an 45 degree bend.

And here's some pictures of the girls soaking up the light from the ViparSpectra P4000.

Thanks everyone! And thank you @ViparSpectra for making such a great light!

Journal Update

Flower Day 34
Day 72 above ground

Tent temp: 19C
Previous PPM: 1092 PPM
Current PPM: 1250 PPM
Adjusted PPM to: 853 PPM
PH: 6.2 (adjusted to 5.8)
Res temp: 18.5C
Water level: drank 2/3 of reservoir over the weekend (reservoir had around 70-80L) ...minus a bit on the floor.

Well folks it's the last day of the weekend, I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Yesterday I attempted to place the vapor barrier up, that got stopped due to a lack of staples, I'll pick some up later this week and finish the job.

The plants over the weekend have felt the cold, but are still within the limits. The amount of nutrients they went through over the weekend was nice to see. There was a slight rise in PPM as shown in today's update, but the water level was down so much- its nothing too concerning. I topped with RO water that has some cal mag, and ph'd the reservoir.

Some exciting news in the upcoming months with a new press being sent by Dabpress. The details are still being ironed out, but after some kief gets pressed, a nice sized amount of this grow will be turned to Rosin. More details when the time comes:hookah:

A quick check on the girls this morning shows the frost continues to build, and some stretch is still going on.
A few upper fan leaves were removed from the Bruce Banner Auto to let a bit more light get through.

So, while not a lot of Supercropping has been done. But behind the scenes the odd bit of pinching has been done. It's a technique that I picked up from a previous member on the forum (Pennywise), and I can say at this point it works.

The method falls under HST training, but has a quick recovery (at least from my observations).

How it's done:

It's done much easier when the stems are pliable, but can be done in flower with some patience.

Pick the cola/branch that needs to be slowed in the stretch. Now, just as you would preform a Supercrop, pinch the stem. Your looking for a feeling of a slight pop. If the spot is difficult to pop- two options can be done. You can use a pair of pliers, and gently squeeze, careful not to rip the stem with the teeth of the pliers. Or you can do it via site preparation. You're going to soften the spot by squeezing the spot you've chosen by pinching all the way around. Don't forget where you did it. Cause the next time you check on the plant (within 12hrs) you'll squeeze again, a bit harder and you should feel a slight pop. That's it. It's nothing hard or fancy, but as the plant is repairing that spot, it will slow the upward growth on that cola. If you are lucky a knuckle will form.

The same bruising technique can be done to help bend a branch as well. By softening the surrounding plant tissue, the odds of a rip/tear/break seem to lessen. But that's pretty much entering the area of a Supercrop, just not necessarily at an 45 degree bend.

And here's some pictures of the girls soaking up the light from the ViparSpectra P4000.

Thanks everyone! And thank you @ViparSpectra for making such a great light!

Damn, the frost and color train rolled into town hard since your last update! Awesome. Excellent explanation of that technique. I consider it just a form of HST/supercropping, and I used the exact same technique with some of my smaller, inner buds during training to get them to go where I wanted. And like you, I also found that it was necessary to go back to it the next day. I even got a couple new growth spots from a couple of the bends. Great job. Impressive update.

LOL mind blown!
Ive actually done the same before. First just pinch the stem little so tissue barely breaks. After that plant starts to repair it immediately and while plants doing work repairing it, then redo it. Feels like then it focuses even more energy to fix it. Indeed it makes a funny knot on the spot.

:yahoo: :slide: :yahoo: :slide: :yahoo:

Journal Update

Flower Day 36
Day 75 above ground

Tent temp: 28C
Previous PPM: 967 PPM
Current PPM: 967 PPM
Adjusted PPM to: 967 PPM (not adjusted)
PH: 6.1
Res temp: 19.6C
Water level: steady downwards

Hey folks! Its a doobious Tuesday update. The frost around here is building inside and outside the tent. The plants are feeding and the ladybugs are sleeping. Or they became spider food- circle of life:smokin:.
There's a few more in the house to be collected and brought out to the garage.

The vapor barrier for the grow space is cut and ready to be hung. A lack of staples for the staple gun has held things back. That should be finished before the end of the week.

The plants seem to be doing good. The Somango is still showing some slight N toxicity, but she's pushing through and starting to chunken up.

The other two seem happy, so I'll leave the nutes as is and carry on. Majority rules. And from what I'm seeing, I think I'll be quite pleased with the Somango.

The smell....oh my. How to describe it? We all become a bit nose blind to our grows, and when I get about 10 feet from the garage, it's like a smack in the face of dankness :drool:.

I'm still scrambling for a proper way to finish the winterizing of the grow space. The biggest problem is all the solutions I come up with requires non existent funds.

I have two 50 gallon barrels I can use. One must remain a hardwater runoff catchment from the RO system. The other I was thinking of filling with water from the hose... hooking up some kind of pump, and using the pump to push the water through the RO system. The pump selection is the hard part.

I figure this grow will be done in December (hopefully near the start) and that means I need to plan in place soon, as it feels like snow is on the way.

No new chomping marks from pests, but that just means I didn't see them, as I'm sure they're still there.

Hope everyone has a great day and thanks for reading!

And onto the bombardment of photos!

Journal Update

Flower Day 36
Day 75 above ground

Hey folks! Its a doobious Tuesday update. The frost around here is building inside and outside the tent. The plants are feeding and the ladybugs are sleeping. Or they became spider food- circle of life:smokin:.

The vapor barrier for the grow space is cut and ready to be hung. A lack of staples for the staple gun has held things back. That should be finished before the end of the week.

The plants seem to be doing good. The Somango is still showing some slight N toxicity, but she's pushing through and starting to chunken up.

The other two seem happy, so I'll leave the nutes as is and carry on. Majority rules. And from what I'm seeing, I think I'll be quite pleased with the Somango.

The smell....oh my. How to describe it? We all become a bit nose blind to our grows, and when I get about 10 feet from the garage, it's like a smack in the face of dankness :drool:.

I'm still scrambling for a proper way to finish the winterizing of the grow space. The biggest problem is all the solutions I come up with requires non existent funds.

I have two 50 gallon barrels I can use. One must remain a hardwater runoff catchment from the RO system. The other I was thinking of filling with water from the hose... hooking up some kind of pump, and using the pump to push the water through the RO system. The pump selection is the hard part.

I figure this grow will be done in December (hopefully near the start) and that means I need to plan in place soon, as it feels like snow is on the way.

No new chomping marks from pests, but that just means I didn't see them, as I'm sure they're still there.

Incredible. If you didn't know better, it looks like a well done photo scrog. Hard to believe that is autos. And yummy as hell that White Berry looks to me, that's the one i'll take an ounce of please.

Incredible. If you didn't know better, it looks like a well done photo scrog. Hard to believe that is autos. And yummy as hell that White Berry looks to me, that's the one i'll take an ounce of please.
Thanks Jon! I'm beyond thrilled with this grow. I can't decide which is the one I like the best. The BB is just so frosty, the WB is so abundant, and the Somango has smells to make the mouth salivate. I'm anxious to "test" them all when the time is right :cheesygrinsmiley:

Journal Update

Flower Day 36
Day 75 above ground

How far away from the light do you have those beauty’s ? I moved to 18” since the stretch stopped, plus it was curling the edges at 8” .

Great question @West Hippie

Here's a picture showing the light distance (a bit blurry, but legible)

And here's the "canary". She's the tallest cola in the tent, roughly 16 inches and no light burn.

Jeez Rex I get stuck harvesting plants and when I finally make it back here it looks like your plants have all grown up and graduated from college already!

I'm looking forward to see how they do with the Master's program. :thumb:
Yesterday I attempted to place the vapor barrier up, that got stopped due to a lack of staples
Ain't that always the way. Every project seems to involve at least two trips to Home Depot!

And how does a 50 gallon tank help warm the garage even with money to spend? I got confused there. Were you going to light a fire under one and then pump the hot water through the garage, using the pipes like a radiator?

Thanks Shed, yeah I guess that coulda been explained a bit better.
With the distance from the house to the garage, the RO system is currently fed by several garden hoses over a very long distance. With the cold weather and snow coming I need to figure out a temporary way to use the RO out there without the hose. Or only use the hose for short periods (and even that may be tempting a frozen line).

So that being said, I need to create a standalone system on the cheap.

I found a RO booster pump on the Zon, I may take the chance on it.

The idea will be to fill one barrel with water from the house.
Then use a pump to run the well water through the RO.
2nd barrel catches hard water run off (I can pump that out with a transfer pump...that part is already in place/use).

a seperate Tote catches pure RO water for the system (top off, res changes)...this too is currently in place/use.

It's a lot of effort, but until I get the money to get a backhoe in to dig a trench to run a water line underground...

Thanks Shed, yeah I guess that coulda been explained a bit better.
With the distance from the house to the garage, the RO system is currently fed by several garden hoses over a very long distance. With the cold weather and snow coming I need to figure out a temporary way to use the RO out there without the hose. Or only use the hose for short periods (and even that may be tempting a frozen line).

So that being said, I need to create a standalone system on the cheap.

I found a RO booster pump on the Zon, I may take the chance on it.

The idea will be to fill one barrel with water from the house.
Then use a pump to run the well water through the RO.
2nd barrel catches hard water run off (I can pump that out with a transfer pump...that part is already in place/use).

a seperate Tote catches pure RO water for the system (top off, res changes)...this too is currently in place/use.

It's a lot of effort, but until I get the money to get a backhoe in to dig a trench to run a water line underground...
That bear hears that hose running may take a bite , so there’s another burden . It takes 8 minutes 14 seconds to fill a gallon jug with my ro system . I looked at those pumps now there blowing up my email.

A lot of effort is what keeps us growers in shape! If I can schlep my plants in and out twice a day, you can pump water. :)
Fair enough and well said :).
That bear hears that hose running may take a bite , so there’s another burden . It takes 8 minutes 14 seconds to fill a gallon jug with my ro system . I looked at those pumps now there blowing up my email.

The bears will be asleep by that time...then it's just the wolves, coyotes, and odd moose for worries.
only black bears around here thankfully.
8 minutes? Dang....takes me about 10hrs to squeeze 100L out

If you have decent swings in day and night temps, you could put some 5 gal buckets filled with water as a heat sink right under the net. And for a few bucks you could get a fish tank heater to heat the water in those buckets. And no schlepping water once they're filled initially.

That won't do much to heat the space but will knock out the highs and lows for a more even temp. Probably not ideal, but water has one of the highest thermal storage capabilities for its size and mass, so it might help with the really low temps of early morning.

Also, if you don't do it already, consider running your lights at night. The heat from them can help raise the temps when you need it most.

I read Bruce banner could stack up to 25% THC o_O Been searching for new strains as Im planning for maybe Wilma4 or some DIY RDWC setups.

But yeah with that THC content the leaves should get fully coated with trichomes ;) even more interested to see the results here

If you have decent swings in day and night temps, you could put some 5 gal buckets filled with water as a heat sink right under the net. And for a few bucks you could get a fish tank heater to heat the water in those buckets. And no schlepping water once they're filled initially.
Hey Azimuth! Some great ideas, thanks!
There's no room unfortunately inside the tent- but I have been considering thermal batteries to help with temp swings inside the garage.

I do like where your thoughts are...I've been considering something very akin to what your suggesting...

And I may have a line on a cheap XL water container, 900L or so...- the bargaining has begun on it this morning (Though that's going to be to keep the RO system fed, and nothing to do with heating).
That won't do much to heat the space but will knock out the highs and lows for a more even temp. Probably not ideal, but water has one of the highest thermal storage capabilities for its size and mass, so it might help with the really low temps of early morning.
I think it'll be useful for winter when it dips very low in evenings, it may take some of the load off the furnace out there. Cause I think I'll have no choice but to fire it up come true cold temps (-10c and below). Even if I'm looking at the main purpose being for the RO system, I think as a secondary function that will help.
Also, if you don't do it already, consider running your lights at night. The heat from them can help raise the temps when you need it most.
That was one of the first tricks I learned back when using a HPS/MH. It does deserve repeating for those who haven't thought of it!
The big thing is with using water as a thermal battery is that it still is going to cost a lot. Where I live electricity is ridiculously expensive, and some form of energy is needed to heat the water.

That kind of system (barrels of water), paired with a solar system would be a worthy combination - use aquarium heaters in the day for free, and release the heat back at night

I read Bruce banner could stack up to 25% THC o_O Been searching for new strains as Im planning for maybe Wilma4 or some DIY RDWC setups.
Hey Verbalist! There's some great RDWC builds on here. I'd check out Multivortex's journal (he's no longer active on here, but did a great job on his system and documented it well. Bluter also did some great write ups on RDWC builds and how to do them on on budget.

But yeah with that THC content the leaves should get fully coated with trichomes ;) even more interested to see the results here
I've noticed some of the leaves are already getting coated with trichomes. With the amount of trichomes, the BB may be a good candidate for Pressing into rosin when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom