Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist: Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!

So the cloner pump dies yesterday. Clones went dry. I ran out and bought a 560gph becket fountain pump. I really can't be mad the other pump was about 20 years old! I hope they recover it was all the seedling tops.

PIneapple
Fields is looking great in the scrog. Will move her tips outward tomorrow.
420-magazine-mobile1357222289.jpg

Took the two SIPs I made and planted just one plant each in them. One with Gorilladosha and the other with sour bubble. Let's see what they can do.

Gave everything a transplant and tea. Tomorrow will give brix wa10x

So the cloner pump dies yesterday. Clones went dry. I ran out and bought a 560gph becket fountain pump. I really can't be mad the other pump was about 20 years old! I hope they recover it was all the seedling tops.

PIneapple
Fields is looking great in the scrog. Will move her tips outward tomorrow.
420-magazine-mobile1357222289.jpg

Took the two SIPs I made and planted just one plant each in them. One with Gorilladosha and the other with sour bubble. Let's see what they can do.

Gave everything a transplant and tea. Tomorrow will give brix wa10x

Ah the old failing pump ,I've had similar disfortune with power outages of late.
I built an ultrasonic mist cloner and have battled through 2 diff 4 hr outages clones still alive but slowed down rooting .
Pineapple fields a professor p strain yeah? Dynasty genetics some of the if not the best around ,im after anything dynasty has ! It all sells out!
100% healthy pf right there filling the scrog nicely shiggity

So last time I made coconut oil I used 4oz trim and 3 cups coconut oil. This time I didn't weigh the herb because it filled two jars to the brim pretty much exactly.
So I grabbed two jars and filled them with sour bubble and Huckleberry Kush trim. And some buds from lesser pheno plants in the past. (Which I know will make it weigh more..)
So I decarb it and put it in the MBM with 3cups oil and 4tbs lecithin. Then add the herb...and it just seems like so much more than last time!
It's then that it hits me. In a stoner moment I used my half gallon masons!!!!!!! I would have realized if I used my pressure cooker to decarb because only quarts will fit. But I used my oven. I put my barbecue thermometer probe in the oven to keep an eye on temps. I kept it mostly between 260 and 245F by cracking the door when the oven elements were on. I would close the door when it would hit 255F and let it coast slowly down. Back and forth open and close. Can't go anywhere but it sure is consistent. I had the lids loosely on the masons. Some smell but nowhere near that of an open baking pan.

Soooooo I don't feel like making two batches. Too much effort for a tired stoner. I just added another cup of oil and did a rough spatula chop. Then I pushed the MBM top down until I could start it. I set it for no heat 1hr. Then I let the blades do their thing. After the blades stopped I would reset the MBM. I did this five times then started the regular 2hr cycle. I was laughing the whole time. You know laughing at your own stupidity. Doing something dumb and just not caring.
It worked great! But I am not saying to do that! It was stoner logic that said "Just cram it in there!", not any measure of intelligence.
I have to say that it tastes great and I am gone gone gone daddyo. Bzzzzzzzzzzbuzzbizzzzzzzz look at the pretty lights. Hey The Force Awakens is on. Grin.

Hee hee hee. Haha. Hee hee.

Basically I fit 8+ oz of herb with 4 cups oil in an MBM the same way Tim Allen would have done it. By forcing it. Thank goodness I didn't have the Tim Allen catastrophe like always happens on the show.

But here she is. Got within an inch to the top of two masons. She looks like coffee or stout.

420-magazine-mobile1735177247.jpg

So last time I made coconut oil I used 4oz trim and 3 cups coconut oil. This time I didn't weigh the herb because it filled two jars to the brim pretty much exactly.
So I grabbed two jars and filled them with sour bubble and Huckleberry Kush trim. And some buds from lesser pheno plants in the past. (Which I know will make it weigh more..)
So I decarb it and put it in the MBM with 3cups oil and 4tbs lecithin. Then add the herb...and it just seems like so much more than last time!
It's then that it hits me. In a stoner moment I used my half gallon masons!!!!!!! I would have realized if I used my pressure cooker to decarb because only quarts will fit. But I used my oven. I put my barbecue thermometer probe in the oven to keep an eye on temps. I kept it mostly between 260 and 245F by cracking the door when the oven elements were on. I would close the door when it would hit 255F and let it coast slowly down. Back and forth open and close. Can't go anywhere but it sure is consistent. I had the lids loosely on the masons. Some smell but nowhere near that of an open baking pan.

Soooooo I don't feel like making two batches. Too much effort for a tired stoner. I just added another cup of oil and did a rough spatula chop. Then I pushed the MBM top down until I could start it. I set it for no heat 1hr. Then I let the blades do their thing. After the blades stopped I would reset the MBM. I did this five times then started the regular 2hr cycle. I was laughing the whole time. You know laughing at your own stupidity. Doing something dumb and just not caring.
It worked great! But I am not saying to do that! It was stoner logic that said "Just cram it in there!", not any measure of intelligence.
I have to say that it tastes great and I am gone gone gone daddyo. Bzzzzzzzzzzbuzzbizzzzzzzz look at the pretty lights. Hey The Force Awakens is on. Grin.

Hee hee hee. Haha. Hee hee.

Basically I fit 8+ oz of herb with 4 cups oil in an MBM the same way Tim Allen would have done it. By forcing it. Thank goodness I didn't have the Tim Allen catastrophe like always happens on the show.

But here she is. Got within an inch to the top of two masons. She looks like coffee or stout.

420-magazine-mobile1735177247.jpg

Hehehe good work man best way to do it .

Okay trying to find time to actually build these lights but the girls are growing fast now. Busy busy. I managed to get the second scrog over the Megafauna girls. It won't be. Pretty scrog but it will do the job.
I may have Megafauna cross over on to Pineapple Fields scrog as Mega is about 75-80%. But if I turn Mega and PF into one long sip configuration it will be perfect to flip the 4x8 on Monday. Just have to clean up and also put up my panda film!
Here is a pic Mega up front and PF in back. I am really pleased with how PF has been threading the scrog!
420-magazine-mobile728985907.jpg

Also I don't have much disposable income at the moment to build more scrogs so for my other 3 SIPs I decided to make bamboo scrogs. Was a lot of fun actually. The low one with huck kush and Sour bub will get flowered Monday as well and the other two, one SIP with sour bubble and one SIP with Gorilladosha will get added in 1.5-2 weeks.
420-magazine-mobile1852776207.jpg

The new pcb's are supposed to be a little heavier made, and handle more watts. It's kinda too pricey, if your doing a big grow, couldn't afford it. I got couple ton in light building now. Way too much, I get a lot free from work lol .

The arduino will do everything. I think you have to have programs or write code or something to make it work. That's what confuses me. It's lot cheaper
I designed a 6 channel controller arduino based also controls relays for on off and dims 0-10v called GrowGreen led controller designed for what you do
Experiments?

Yesss!!!

:geek:

You nailed it Shiggs! I'm glad to see someone post this. This is the truth of the matter, folks. :cheesygrinsmiley:

A couple years ago, Icemud wanted to understand "penetration" and tried to get some conversation going. At the time, the controversy was about LEDs and whether they "penetrated" as well as HIDs, but Ice was looking deeper, uncovering the way the photons make their way through the leaves, bouncing around and altering their wavelengths, etc - good deep stuff. :laugh: It's also clear that plants might prefer certain wavelengths but they use all of them. In other words, there's a lot more to "penetration" than we might think.

Then, when people starting building COB rigs, and actually measuring the PAR output at various distances, a fascinating fact emerged. The rules of physics didn't seem to apply to widely distributed light sources. The rule is that you get 1/4 of the output at twice the distance. But when Fanleaf measured his rig with roughly 16 COBs in a 4x4 he got readings of 1/2 at the twice the distance. :hmmmm: That's twice what he should have gotten. Why? Because his COBs were spaced at one per sqft, so each plant was getting light from different sources at different angles. The inverse square rule applies to point sources. 16 COBs spread across a 4x4 is not a point source. :cheesygrinsmiley:

So ... many smaller sources will penetrate much better than one large source, because as Shiggs said, you get good light all over the plant. No leaf is very shadowed. That was about COBs, which as Buckshot said are simply hundreds of small diodes packed together and printed in one shot into a 1/2" wide circle. Nice and efficient to manufacture and cheap to operate, but not really so great for horticulture. For horticulture, we want more of a sky. And we want something cooler than COBs, so we can get more headroom. The boards are the answer! And they're much cheaper than even the best Cree COBs.

I've been studying all this stuff for almost two years and boy am I glad I didn't pull the trigger on a COB setup! These are SO much better in every way. They're perfect for small (non warehouse 10 foot ceilings :cheesygrinsmiley: ) indoor grows.

Great post!

Thanks for the recognition Graytail! I've definitely been advocating this for a while now and glad to see that others are finding more lights, less watts effective :) its all about diffusion, reduced shadowing, more green and multiple light point sources :) Shiggs is killing it with those lights! what an amazing build!

Back
Top Bottom