Hiya,

Bee doing a bit of reading through this thread - need to do some more, I have 4-6 GSC photo ready to repot (they'll likely go in coco) in about a week I hope. I have 5 gallon fabric bags, a plastic shop for pasta strainers at the end of my road and lots of PVC pipe lying around so thinking about trying SIP for them. I'm a bit unclear on the pipe route - I need to cut a hole through the bottom of the bag for it?

The other more critical question I have is does anyone have any experience of running these in hot/humid conditions? I live in the tropics. The temparature/Rh is ~30c/75% 365 days a year. I'm wary of the water becoming an issue.

Thanks in advance,

DeeBeeBee

Hiya,

Bee doing a bit of reading through this thread - need to do some more, I have 4-6 GSC photo ready to repot (they'll likely go in coco) in about a week I hope. I have 5 gallon fabric bags, a plastic shop for pasta strainers at the end of my road and lots of PVC pipe lying around so thinking about trying SIP for them. I'm a bit unclear on the pipe route - I need to cut a hole through the bottom of the bag for it?

The other more critical question I have is does anyone have any experience of running these in hot/humid conditions? I live in the tropics. The temparature/Rh is ~30c/75% 365 days a year. I'm wary of the water becoming an issue.

Thanks in advance,

DeeBeeBee
Hey Dee,

Not quite. The hole will go in the pasta strainer you're using as a dome. See This post for how I would use a cloth bag in a SIP.

Hi guys, just been reading over this thread and decided to try making a SIP myself from what was laying around..

This is what I have come up with so far, would this work ok?

Using a plastic black box for holding the water, a water bottle with holes to let the water wick up into the plant and just sitting the fabic pot on top of the container ....the holes I made leave a lot to be desired but didnt have any DIY tools handy so had to improvise

Does there need to be a gap between the pot and the tub holding the water to stop root rot or will it be ok sitting on top like it is?

20221129_154941.jpg

20221129_154947.jpg

20221129_155014.jpg

20221129_155030.jpg

20221129_155119.jpg

20221129_155123.jpg

Have I read the instructions right?

Makes more sense visualising it for me,

DeeBeeBee
DBB thank you for doing this. I find it helpful to reference a diagram such as this. My question is, does the pvc pipe have to have a bend so that it flows into the pasta strainer? Why can't it just go straight down into the clay balls and fill the res that way?

DBB thank you for doing this. I find it helpful to reference a diagram such as this. My question is, does the pvc pipe have to have a bend so that it flows into the pasta strainer? Why can't it just go straight down into the clay balls and fill the res that way?
I think its better to get @Azimuth or one of the more experienced people to comment - this is purely my guess from reading the instructions linked by Azi above. I could have misinterpreted it totally - also its if you’re using a fabric pot which isn’t necessary for a more pure form. @Emilya Green and @ReservoirDog any comments?

I’d probably use a right angle bend and reckon could still jury rig a float using a cork because pressure.

DeeBeeBee

I think its better to get @Azimuth or one of the more experienced people to comment - this is purely my guess from reading the instructions linked by Azi above. I could have misinterpreted it totally - also its if you’re using a fabric pot which isn’t necessary for a more pure form. @Emilya Green and @ReservoirDog any comments?

I’d probably use a right angle bend and reckon could still jury rig a float using a cork because pressure.

DeeBeeBee
I'm not an expert, but I'm confident, no bend needed.

I drew it as demisphere, the spec says water feed to go in “near the top” - flatter bottomed internal piece and no bend required.

EDIT - This is the post I worked off (it is specifically for fabric bags in a SIP setup, not a pure SIP)

SIP in Fabric Bag

DeeBeeBee

I made one using 2 buckets, have not used yet. This looks really good and simple enough. I need to setup a water lever indicator or just try using a small stick to see when to add more water.
Don't go thru a time and effort, though. Once the plant gets big enough it'll drain the reservoir every day.

I just use a thin stick or dowel to judge. I measure the water level against a ruler, but that's not necessary. A simple "empty or not" status is all you really need.

Hi guys, just been reading over this thread and decided to try making a SIP myself from what was laying around..

This is what I have come up with so far, would this work ok?

Using a plastic black box for holding the water, a water bottle with holes to let the water wick up into the plant and just sitting the fabic pot on top of the container ....the holes I made leave a lot to be desired but didnt have any DIY tools handy so had to improvise

Does there need to be a gap between the pot and the tub holding the water to stop root rot or will it be ok sitting on top like it is?

20221129_154941.jpg

20221129_154947.jpg

20221129_155014.jpg

20221129_155030.jpg

20221129_155119.jpg

20221129_155123.jpg
Nice job, @HighlanderRecluse .

So that's the exact inverse of the drawing from DBB in that your water bottle is your connector pot and will be filled and packed well with soil, and the rest of that lower container will be filled with water. This is the design favored by Emilya and ResDog.

That column of soil is what will wick the water from the reservoir up into the soil above, and is what ResDog refers to as his "wicking foot.". As such, it's very important to be sure that the fabric pot is in good contact with the soil in that connecting container so you'll either sit the cloth pot right on top of it or in your design you'll merge the soil mix between the pot and the bottle.

And next time, consider putting your fill funnel right in the corner of the tub. That will give you access to most of the top of the container to either center the plant, or have a couple side by side.

My question is, does the pvc pipe have to have a bend so that it flows into the pasta strainer? Why can't it just go straight down into the clay balls and fill the res that way?
If you are using hydroton in the reservoir you can absolutely have the fill pipe go straight down into them. That's the way I built my outdoor veggie tubs. Another advantage of having it dead-end at the clay balls is that the air gap will have constant access to fresh air.

If, on the other hand, your lower area is filled with soil around the dome, you'll want the water you are pouring in to have a void to flow into to speed up the watering process. Also, if the fill pipe isn't connected to the air gap you'll have less air down there by the roots.

You could have the hole in the dome be on the side near the top and simply put your pipe in at an angle. That's how I have mine. I have a fill tube on opposite sides of my bucket and they rise at an angle through the soil. That way they're still straight and I can easily feed my dip stick down thru them.

I drew it as demisphere, the spec says water feed to go in “near the top” - flatter bottomed internal piece and no bend required.
Some of my "domes" are actually flat bottomed round food storage containers rather than a bowl shape. And i dead-end the fill tube just after it enters the dome rather than having it go all the way to the bottom. I do it this way so that even with a full reservoir the air chamber still has access to air. ResDog has his fill pipes bottom out in the container but drills small holes along the pipe for the air.

I think we each like our own design better. :p

Hi all.
:nicethread:
I am basically a newbie grower.
I am using Subcool's supersoil in SIPs, with autos (long story).
Is anyone else running out of Nitrogen during the grow using Subcool's Supersoil in a SIP?
And does anyone know how much extra N needs to add to Subcool's, so that it does not run out of nitrogen, but also does not give the dreaded "Nitrogen Claw"?

For those who are new to supersoil, here is a Subcool's recipe:

Here is another presentation with pictures (if that matters):
SuperSoil - SubCool's Super Soil 100 Gallon Recipe Mix Package.

And here is an expert critic who believes Subcool's can be improved upon.
What's So Cool About Super Soil? The Super Soil Recipe Breakdown.

:thanks:

If you are using hydroton in the reservoir you can absolutely have the fill pipe go straight down into them. That's the way I built my outdoor veggie tubs. Another advantage of having it dead-end at the clay balls is that the air gap will have constant access to fresh air.

If, on the other hand, your lower area is filled with soil around the dome, you'll want the water you are pouring in to have a void to flow into to speed up the watering process. Also, if the fill pipe isn't connected to the air gap you'll have less air down there by the roots.

You could have the hole in the dome be on the side near the top and simply put your pipe in at an angle. That's how I have mine. I have a fill tube on opposite sides of my bucket and they rise at an angle through the soil. That way they're still straight and I can easily feed my dip stick down thru them.

Some of my "domes" are actually flat bottomed round food storage containers rather than a bowl shape. And i dead-end the fill tube just after it enters the dome rather than having it go all the way to the bottom. I do it this way so that even with a full reservoir the air chamber still has access to air. ResDog has his fill pipes bottom out in the container but drills small holes along the pipe for the air.

I think we each like our own design better. :p
I’m going to put something together this evening and take a load of photos. Reassured I got somewhere close with my sketch. Have some optimisation ideas based on what I know is available at the 20 Baht Store (Dollar/Pound/Peso) at the end of my road.
DeeBeeBee

Back
Top Bottom