If, on the other hand, your lower area is filled with soil around the dome, you'll want the water you are pouring in to have a void to flow into to speed up the watering process. Also, if the fill pipe isn't connected to the air gap you'll have less air down there by the roots.
Thank you Azi, I'm taking longer to understand this setup than the others I'm sorry. I can't grasp what you're saying about pouring into a void and about the fill pipe connecting to the air gap.
If you are using hydroton in the reservoir you can absolutely have the fill pipe go straight down into them. That's the way I built my outdoor veggie tubs. Another advantage of having it dead-end at the clay balls is that the air gap will have constant access to fresh air.
Here's a diagram of what I think you mean. Please remind me how the wicking action takes place in this arrangement, or am I missing a component? Does this adequately take care of the air gap and void? Also, at what level should the overflow hole be drilled in the dishwashing tub? Is the pasta strainer full of water and nothing else? Where does the soil cup come into this settup? tia Azi
IMG_20221130_0001.jpg

Thank you Azi, I'm taking longer to understand this setup than the others I'm sorry. I can't grasp what you're saying about pouring into a void and about the fill pipe connecting to the air gap.

Here's a diagram of what I think you mean. Please remind me how the wicking action takes place in this arrangement, or am I missing a component? Does this adequately take care of the air gap and void? Also, at what level should the overflow hole be drilled in the dishwashing tub? Is the pasta strainer full of water and nothing else? Where does the soil cup come into this settup? tia Azi
IMG_20221130_0001.jpg
The hole will be drilled about an inch below the top of the dome in the dish washing tub. The only difference to your drawing is to have a layer of soil between the clay balls and the pot. You could even have mostly soil where the balls are in your drawing except for a little section around the overflow hole.

I originally did mine the the way you show except without the cloth pot (the whole thing was in one container) because I was concerned about my organic soil being constantly wet and leading to root rot, but in my recent version I'm trialing the whole thing with soil except for a little section of the clay balls and so far after 3 weeks I'm not having any issues.

Soil will wick more efficiently than the hydroton balls so that seems to be a better design .

Is the air gap as important when using grow bags? Don't they get enough air from the sides?
The air gap seems to be the magic component in these things and will add air to the bottom of the pot as well. But you may be right in that the grow bags already allow for a lot more air than a standard pot.

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at SIP and I'm wondering if the way I made it will work as it should?
IMG_20221130_114558.jpg
IMG_20221130_114655.jpg
IMG_20221130_114613.jpg
IMG_20221130_114544.jpg

How do you think it will work like this?
Looks good to me, let the experts confirm though :)

For future ones you may want to put the drainage hole on the same side as the fill tube so it's easier to see overfill, tip of course courtesy of @Azimuth

Hiya,

This is what I put together this evening. 20 minute job. I may have gone a little off piste with the stones. On top would be my cheapo soil (its very dense and clayey) and then put my bag or nicer stuff on top? @Azimuth what do you reckon? Do I need to silicone in the sides of the strainer?

Thoughts lets me know.

DeeBeeBee

Hello Azi and everyone! You've had me thinking about auto watering these SIP's. I'd have to think if a cat or dog self feeding water dispenser works for them, then cannabis should be good with the system as well!

An elevated rez with a tube that sits firmly at the one inch below soil mark facing directly down will dispensed water on demand? I bet it will. I'll hope for a reason to try it out one day myself. Have you had any thoughts like this? it would keep the rez full at all times and as Buds is seeing we think, the plant may be better because of it. And of course for time away care.

Hello Azi and everyone! You've had me thinking about auto watering these SIP's. I'd have to think if a cat or dog self feeding water dispenser works for them, then cannabis should be good with the system as well!

An elevated rez with a tube that sits firmly at the one inch below soil mark facing directly down will dispensed water on demand? I bet it will. I'll hope for a reason to try it out one day myself. Have you had any thoughts like this? it would keep the rez full at all times and as Buds is seeing we think, the plant may be better because of it. And of course for time away care.
Yeah just been thinking about the same. I have a wifi enabled solenoid/water switch kicking about somewhere that I used on the balcony of our old place for herbs and veg. My two Bruce Banners in coco just took 3L each with no run off for the first time - can see watering being a pain when I’m up to 12-16 plants soon!

DeeBeeBee

Yeah just been thinking about the same. I have a wifi enabled solenoid/water switch kicking about somewhere that I used on the balcony of our old place for herbs and veg. My two Bruce Banners in coco just took 3L each with no run off for the first time - can see watering being a pain when I’m up to 12-16 plants soon!

DeeBeeBee
Yep, that's a higher tech way!

Yep, that's a higher tech way!
Not sure what’s easier tbh. Say 4 plants with 4 float valves, I guess you could have some 4mm pipe running to each one and when the “flag” is “Down” on any of them just turn the tap on. But automating that I can’t think of a simple way - ah man @StoneOtter why’d you have to get me thinking? I can see a way. Just a little control board and ooph. I’m already reaching for my notepad. Cheers dude! Going to be figuring it for an hour or two now!

🤣🤣🤣

DeeBeeBee

Hi all.
I can see I am missing out on some great DIY design work here on this thread!
The @Carmen Ray design looks very good!

Due to time constraints, I am presently using the commercial SIPs that @Krissi Carbone turned @Buds Buddy onto a couple of grow cycles ago (and now look at this thread!!).
Only, @Buds Buddy was having N deficiency, and also Azi (but they are not using supersoil).

Is anyone else experiencing nitrogen deficiency during the grow with supersoil?
I am having to compensate by adding sparkling champagne and Gatorade (i.e., urine) in the fill tube. :rolleyes:
I am sure there are also non-organic solutions, but I am trying to stay organic (and smell-free).

The lil' plantas are much greener now, but they still young. (1/3 are in stretch, and 2/3 are still in veg).
I am a little concerned what happens if I have 20 SIPs with mature autos, and I have to manually boost the N in each one. (I am imagining having to drink maybe 4-5 gallons of water a day, and wolfing the vitamin pills to give it some color, haha!).

Do any of you expert growers have an idea of how much extra N I should put into the supersoil, but not give it TOO much (and thus earn the dreaded "Nitrogen Claw Award")?
Or am I the test pilot on this one?? :oops:

Hi all.

Due to time constraints, I am presently using the commercial SIPs that @Krissi Carbone turned @Buds Buddy onto a couple of grow cycles ago (and now look at this thread!!).
Only, @Buds Buddy was having N deficiency, and also Azi (but they are not using supersoil).

I am having to compensate by adding sparkling champagne and Gatorade (i.e., urine) in the fill tube. :rolleyes:
I am sure there are also non-organic solutions, but I am trying to stay organic (and smell-free).

The lil' plantas are much greener now, but they still young. (1/3 are in stretch, and 2/3 are still in veg).
I am a little concerned what happens if I have 20 SIPs with mature autos, and I have to manually boost the N in each one. (I am imagining having to drink maybe 4-5 gallons of water a day, and wolfing the vitamin pills to give it some color, haha!).

Do any of you expert growers have an idea of how much extra N I should put into the supersoil, but not give it TOO much (and thus earn the dreaded "Nitrogen Claw Award")?
Hey bud I know @Keffka And @Stunger have used supersoil and may have an idea. Sorry I can't offer help on that one. @FelipeBlu was always the one with the numbers...

I'm just here for the excitement and DIY photos. I really need to catch up more here because there's sooooo much good stuff going on!

speaking of auto irrigating SIPs - has anyone here checked out the rain gutter grow system? I'm curious if @ReservoirDog or @Emilya Green (who use wicking feet SIPs) see any difference in growth from a wick-footed pot vs standard SIP. If not, rain gutter style may be a thing you guys would be interested in.

good (old) page with plenty of pics illustrating:

Hi all.

Never got "N" def. I got a "K" def. in flower though. Could even be P & K really. Since I'm on my last 2 weeks I started just using 5.5 gr. MC & 5 mil. of PK Booster to see what happens. They don't seem to be yellowing as much now. I really think it's because they lowered the K in MC. Using Maxigrow & Bloom on my next run. The Maxi Bloom has more PK in it than MC so we'll see how that goes.

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at SIP and I'm wondering if the way I made it will work as it should?
IMG_20221130_114558.jpg
IMG_20221130_114655.jpg
IMG_20221130_114613.jpg
IMG_20221130_114544.jpg

How do you think it will work like this?
Exactly the way I was planning to do it; but with big tubs. One Big Ass Tub to grow one Huge Ass Monster plant in my shed. Do like a 12 week Veg & train it out as far & wide as possible. Planning to do that around New Years.

Hiya,

This is what I put together this evening. 20 minute job. I may have gone a little off piste with the stones. On top would be my cheapo soil (its very dense and clayey) and then put my bag or nicer stuff on top? @Azimuth what do you reckon? Do I need to silicone in the sides of the strainer?

Thoughts lets me know.

DeeBeeBee
I was trying to come up with an idea like yours. But, you need some kind of Float Cut Off for each bucket or the res would get drained into the buckets & out the overflow hole. Some kind of system similar to what Auto Pot uses adapted to SIP's would be great.

I was trying to come up with an idea like yours. But, you need some kind of Float Cut Off for each bucket or the res would get drained into the buckets & out the overflow hole. Some kind of system similar to what Auto Pot uses adapted to SIP's would be great.
if my recollection of fluid dynamics isn't failing me - I think you only need 1 float valve for a set of pots if the pots are level and interconnected at the bottom.

Does the wick effect not prevent this? I haven’t added the soil wick yet

Back
Top Bottom