Strawberry Cough? Yes Please! LOS Grown

Looking forward to seeing this baby come down!! What a beauty! :yahoo:
I think @Dutchman1990 did a comparison with 24 and 48 hours of darkness and he didn’t see any noticeable difference. Maybe he’ll come along and confirm/straighten out for us.
I'd want to run identical clones to call it conclusive. I didn't see or smell any difference with an extended dark period when I tried it, so maybe it is strain-related as Felipe mentioned.

Mark the bud with tape!

So when I tested the dark period I ran an identical set of clones from my Critical+2.0

After 48hrs of darkness compared to only a 12hr dark period (12/12 cycle chop at lights on) I didn’t notice any additional Trichome production on one plant compared to the other nor did I notice a terpene enhancement or flavour/high increase.

This may have just been Strain dependant but I don’t so more than 12hrs before chop!

I may revisit this in the future with more of my clones but until then I’m choosing to skip the extended dark period.

@Duggan has explained before that he has never seen any increase in bud development or trich development by giving extended dark periods. He explains that the only advantage he sees from chopping after a dark period is that the plant will "release" any water or nutrients it has pulled up back into the soil. If he feels so inclined he can give a better explanation than I did but that is what I take from it.

@Duggan has explained before that he has never seen any increase in bud development or trich development by giving extended dark periods. He explains that the only advantage he sees from chopping after a dark period is that the plant will "release" any water or nutrients it has pulled up back into the soil. If he feels so inclined he can give a better explanation than I did but that is what I take from it.
It is funny how some of us have seen positive results every time we have tried it and others have not. It must be strain dependent then. I will go as far as to say that every time I have tried it, in a side by side test, I have seen a positive result, and this is across many different strains. I have tried both chopping the test plant at the same time one goes into the darkness, and I have tried leaving the test plant under its normal light pattern during the extra 36 hours and I am so convinced that the darkness works, that several recent runs were automatically put through this extra dark process, as will my current grow, no longer needing side by side comparisons to convince me. I can see the results with my own eyes when I open the tent... 36 hours of darkness (and plenty of water) really packs on the extra weight and darkens a lot more of the trichomes. I typically put it in there at 2% and it comes out at 5% or more. I have seen plants sag dramatically at the end because of this sudden extra weight. It probably helps too that I immediately chop it at that point, before the plant can see any more light. The whole secret might be that the trichomes themselves simply grow better in the dark and shrink down when in the bright light. Someday, maybe we will know for sure.

the trichomes themselves simply grow better in the dark and shrink down when in the bright light.

I think this is it. Bright light and heat volatize/degrade the terpenes and THC that are produced/exuded during the dark.

So when I tested the dark period I ran an identical set of clones from my Critical+2.0

After 48hrs of darkness compared to only a 12hr dark period (12/12 cycle chop at lights on) I didn’t notice any additional Trichome production on one plant compared to the other nor did I notice a terpene enhancement or flavour/high increase.

This may have just been Strain dependant but I don’t so more than 12hrs before chop!

I may revisit this in the future with more of my clones but until then I’m choosing to skip the extended dark period.
Well I'll put this one out for 48 with before and after pics beginning in a couple of days. Thanks and stay tuned.

That's interesting and good in itself it seems.

Hay good morning! I'm better today. How about you?
Glad to hear that you are feeling better!!!

I feel much better. I can stand by myself and everything. Glad that it didn't spread to my lungs.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better!!!

I feel much better. I can stand by myself and everything. Glad that it didn't spread to my lungs.
I'm glad for you. I got the bear off my shoulders as of this morning. Doc appt this afternoon to schedule some kind of shot therapy in my neck. Whatever the next level is or he's fired. He might not have known that last time we met and he under treated me. When there's not enough weed in the world, there's a problem!

I'm glad for you. I got the bear off my shoulders as of this morning. Doc appt this afternoon to schedule some kind of shot therapy in my neck. Whatever the next level is or he's fired. He might not have known that last time we met and he under treated me. When there's not enough weed in the world, there's a problem!
That does sounds like a problem. I hope you get that Dr. to understand you better ASAP. Good luck with your appt.
Hope you find relief. :green_heart:

Surely we are not assuming that like a wine, the resin has to sit inside the trichome for a while to "age" before it is ready.

Why would we not assume that? Is this not so with the traditional production of trichomes in that it takes them weeks to change from clear to cloudy then to amber? The same thing with fox tails that grow new trics.

Isn't the new tric juice clear?

It might be, but there should be plenty of cloudy, and possibly some amber resin already present. The fresh resin will have more undegraded THC, which will up the potency, but in combination with the other older resin, probably won’t make the high racey.

But the terpenes will be fresh, and that will improve the fragrance, taste, and medical benefits.

Back
Top Bottom