SunWorshiper Offgrid Greenhouse Season 2 Hibrix Marshydro SPL Blackout

Pictured is the critical bilbao left and secret duck right. You can see on this set of leaves that the cb looks like a normal plant with one big middle blade but also a side blade on each side totally 3 or so leaf blades. The duck only has one large leaf blade on the second story of real serrated leaves. This is how the Web starts. Excited to watch these ducklings grow. For a long while they won't really look like cannabis and then they'll look very similar once flowering sets. Depending on the breeding.

The grow room never got over 68 today. Now I will begin to try to find the sweet spot on the a/c setting. That or buy a temp sensitive titan timer if need be. Looked good in there with the 315w set on 100% and the marshydro rocking. Feeling OK about the grow at this point. Always a million ways to die but looks very promising.
2017-06-26_18_15_19.jpg

Thanks Shiggity. I kinda struggle trying to find balance between the posts and pics. Still trying to learn how to make it worth reading. There is so much going on its hard to cover it all so much gets skipped. Being off grid is hard to convey. Basically farming the sun and dealing it limited power supply that has a mind of its own lol. Amped to have another grower around. You ever use uvb at all? Thinking of trying the 10k bulbs...

I haven't used uvb. It seems easy to over do it. But that sun will give just the right amount in your greenhouse. I saw in his last grow Growmau5 used some strong UV bulbs and they fried his top colas and made weird false pregnancy calyxes.

I think for me I will just use uva and leave it at that until someone works out enough of an amazing protocol to impress me lmao.

Now far red, red, and blue supplementation? I'm all for it.

I haven't used uvb. It seems easy to over do it. But that sun will give just the right amount in your greenhouse. I saw in his last grow Growmau5 used some strong UV bulbs and they fried his top colas and made weird false pregnancy calyxes.

I think for me I will just use uva and leave it at that until someone works out enough of an amazing protocol to impress me lmao.

Now far red, red, and blue supplementation? I'm all for it.

I kinda had the impression that since my triple pane roofing was uv resistant it would block most the uv going through? I've heard mixed reviews on using uvb but most seemed good. Thanks for the input, food for thought. Probably will try uvb but limited amounts.

Today was the first day i can remember since flip that I've been gone all day long. So it was nice to have the lights so I could just leave them on and the blackout pulled. I got home about 5 minutes after lights put at 5pm. Had a/c set on economy mode vs cool mode and was kinda nervous while gone I should have left it on cool. Anyway very happy to see it stayed about 70 all day with a high of 73. No sun but the 315w cmh and marshydro were kicking. Still a great grow day :)

Heya SW
Things are looking great around your GR, we have to look into getting a AC for ours it's looking like, freak weather we are getting and it's getting too damn hot in the tent and the girls are bitching :rofl: We were hopping to make it thru this summer without a AC and do a mini split for next year but we gotta do something in the next couple days to give the flower girls some relief. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

SHIGGITYFLIP what uva do you use? I've been wasting my free time trying to research uv b and ive come to the conclusion it's not worth messing with since I don't have a meter yet. Uv b is finicky. Too little and it doesn't work and wastes money and power and too much and it can ruin things. Just right does help thc and terps, but not worth messing with until I figure out what meter to get.

Also I'm not sold that's what I need anyway, uv b. At least not what I need to focus on. Lots of the arguments I read explain how uv b was proven to help thc but they all use bulbs that make mostly uv a and maybe 5, 10 or 12% uvb. How do they know it's not the uva doing the work. Many say the lower 2 and 5% uvb don't work so maybe they are right from experience? Then maybe uva isn't doing much for thc?

What I do know is I'm not sure I'm after more thc lol. I do know for sure I want more FLAVOR :) not sure the flavor could ever be too strong but the Bruce banner I grew last year and bubble Chem are borderline too potent for me already. I like medicine I can enjoy the flavor more than one hit and quit anyway. So I'm after terps and flavonoids I guess. Though I read that mostly in the thc so maybe I do want more thc lol.

So I've even read where uvb research people cite was actually uva/uvb research so everything gets very complicated especially with old, incorrect and or outdated research. That leads me to only following recent research. Of which most is not professional enough to value much or risk much.

What I have found is recent work with one fluorescent company(solacure) that posts 3rd party labs and growers have verified a thc boost in lights with uvb. Lots of extra thc. I need to call him and get input on uv a levels in his uv b bulbs. Blackdog led claim on their page that their testing showed that uvb gave unwanted detrimental growth issues. So they only use uv a in their lights as they've proven uva boosts thc and cbd without the negatives of uv b.

Now blackdogs tests sound great but man some kind of info and pics and data would be awesome. That lead me to researching uva and cannabis which there isn't much of. Then I started over. Once I found myself reading the same threads and getting nowhere I gave up. Then I remembered your uv a comment. So I again stared over but went from a flavor and taste angle vs thc for uv a and b. Got nowhere.

Sorry to ramble lol but after all this I made a plan to just research tomatoes and uv a and uv b. What I found was interesting. Some of the best tasting tomatoes alleles have been lost due to breeding for size and vigor and color etc. Makes me hope cannabis doesn't loose more than we already have. More importantly I found a study from Purdue University about uv and tomato. What they tested was a control group 1 (greenhouse) group 2 (greenhouse uva) group 3 (greenhouse uva/uvb) group 4 outdoors.

What the panel came back with was outdoor tomato tasted the best. Control group 1 was the worst. Those were also extreme's of the uv. The group 3 uva/uvb was better than group 1 but group 2 uva was statistically as good as group 4 as the best. So in the real world a person couldn't taste the difference between an outdoor tomato and a greenhouse tomato w uv a supplemental light. The tomato with uva and uvb and also tomato from just passive greenhouse sunlight were noticeably less flavorful.

So I think that might help narrow my choice. For now it may just be uv a for my garden. Will do some more research and hope to conduct my own soon. Best to start with uva it seems as blackdog and Purdue seem to think uv a does just fine. Maybe I'll get uv b meter next year and some bulbs and try that too. Baby steps :)

UV Light Adds Flavor to Out-of-Season Greenhouse Tomatoes | American Council on Science and Health

I'm under the impression that uv a is between 315nm-400nm. With a peak about 360 or 370? Looks like not much is covered by the cmh that we're using.

I did talk to the owner of solacure. Great guy to talk to. His website is pretty informative compared to most in regards to uv. It was tempting to get the 400w 10k but I'm really wanting to try just adding uva. The fluorescent bulbs would give me more headroom so that makes it tempting. I like what solacure has done and does in america. So I decided to go with a couple 4ft t8 uv a lamps and ballasts from north Carolina to add to the grow. Solacure being added to the grow :) They cover the peak of uv a better than the cmh. I won't have to worry about frying my plants and also not so dangerous to myself.

I'm going out on a limb as nobody has grown cannabis w his lights and only uv a. But this is where my research led me so off I go lol. I can always try the uva/uvb bulbs latter too when these uva bulbs need replaced in a few years.

It is nice at least to see a light company (blackdog) and a university say they've had noticeably better results w just uva supplementation. Can't wait to see how it does in here :)

Turning up the heat in the bloom room today! OK not really but kinda. Got some coolpeño peppers and yellow peppers, some tomato's, lettuce, mint and a few other peppers. Gunna be 99 degrees next Wednesday. Hope I'll have enough mint for mojitos by then lol. Pictured is not cannabis, nah that's right I'm about old now. It's cannabis and veggies lol. Least they're in high brix :)
2017-06-30_16_14_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom