Ok, this caught my eye on the way out

InTheShed said:
Beyond the straight CBD oil, I don't use cannabis internally now. I grow for my wife who smokes it for her anxiety and we both use the salve as an anti-inflammatory for aches and pains (and these itchy welts she just started getting sometimes where elastic from her clothes touch her skin).

I grow for my daughter. Her anxiety levels were through the roof, but she had no tolerance for the standard pharma drugs, thank God. Smoking, well, vaping is what she uses for breakthrough anxiety. Her base meds are the CBD Critical Cure capsules, four doses a day. She's an extreme ECS disfunction in healing mode, so she also uses high THC indica brownies, little bites throughout the day. She plays with the THC dose depending on her mood.

I guess my point is smoking will treat symptoms. Capsules lay a baseline supply of cannabinoids for a system crying for relief so natural healing can go more smoothly and anxiety can be reduced. I use a fresh harvest oil, and we see some surprising improvements after a year on the regimen. Choice of oil probably means little in the overall scheme of things. It's the consistency of dosing in smaller, but regular doses that seems to make more of a difference.

I'll step aside now. :battingeyelashes:

Ok, this caught my eye on the way out

I grow for my daughter. Her anxiety levels were through the roof, but she had no tolerance for the standard pharma drugs, thank God. Smoking, well, vaping is what she uses for breakthrough anxiety. Her base meds are the CBD Critical Cure capsules, four doses a day. She's an extreme ECS disfunction in healing mode, so she also uses high THC indica brownies, little bites throughout the day. She plays with the THC dose depending on her mood.
I guess my point is smoking will treat symptoms. Capsules lay a baseline supply of cannabinoids for a system crying for relief so natural healing can go more smoothly and anxiety can be reduced. I use a fresh harvest oil, and we see some surprising improvements after a year on the regimen. Choice of oil probably means little in the overall scheme of things. It's the consistency of dosing in smaller, but regular doses that seems to make more of a difference.

I'll step aside now. :battingeyelashes:

Thanks! I don't think I could get her to commit to a capsule regimen, but her anxiety doesn't come close to what your daughter was suffering from. That and she likes the high :)

Oh, and don't step aside for long...not only is this your thread but we all grow in the light of your knowledge :adore:

I wake up in the middle of the night and then have a lot of trouble falling back to sleep. I'll move the CBD earlier in the day and see what happens!

InTheShed, you may do better with the raw oil. THCA is credited with the property of anti-insomnia. Since you grow your own, after extracting the oil set some aside and don't decarb it. Or just chew up a scrap of cured raw weed.

InTheShed, you may do better with the raw oil. THCA is credited with the property of anti-insomnia. Since you grow your own, after extracting the oil set some aside and don't decarb it. Or just chew up a scrap of cured raw weed.

This is probably why I sleep so good using my ground herb for cooking. I don't decarb, but let it cure naturally.

Never thought of chewing raw weed! I have some nice-smelling blueberry...wonder how it tastes :)

I always thought that the extraction into oil involved heat at some level, decarbing as part of the process to some extent.

This is probably why I sleep so good using my ground herb for cooking. I don't decarb, but let it cure naturally.

Cooking will decarb it, partially or completely depending on what you're making!

InTheShed, ive been growing Gold Leaf for a couple of years. I too noticed that it's listed as "high CBD" and that it's good for Insomnia (which I have). Though I like GL, it hasn't done much for my insomnia. Your mileage might differ.

I thought it was worth a shot and it turns out I may be able to get a cutting tomorrow night. Have you been smoking it or infusing in oil? Does the high CBD seem to make it any different from other strains you're growing?

Never thought of chewing raw weed! I have some nice-smelling blueberry...wonder how it tastes :)

I always thought that the extraction into oil involved heat at some level, decarbing as part of the process to some extent.

A quick wash is done with frozen buds and alcohol, and then decarbed after the solvent is evaporated. Skip the decarb step and you have raw oil.

If you infuse oil with very low heat you can get the cannabinoids to bond to the carrier oil with very little conversion.

I eat raw, right off the plant every time I top. :laughtwo: Don't often chew up dried flowers, they're a little dry for my taste. Popcorn buds make a tasty omelette.

I thought it was worth a shot and it turns out I may be able to get a cutting tomorrow night. Have you been smoking it or infusing in oil? Does the high CBD seem to make it any different from other strains you're growing?

I only vape. Have not use it for any extracts - yet. The photos below show an un-topped GL a couple of weeks prior to harvest and that same plant all trimmed up. Test results were not what I expected compared to What 420.com says, but still ok. THC: 12.64 %, CBD: 0.36 %, Total Cannabinoids: 14.68 %.
image19815.jpeg
image19816.jpeg

Very nice Mike. :bravo: What CBD value were you hoping for with her?

A quick wash is done with frozen buds and alcohol, and then decarbed after the solvent is evaporated. Skip the decarb step and you have raw oil.

If you infuse oil with very low heat you can get the cannabinoids to bond to the carrier oil with very little conversion.

Can you point me to this method? I thought it involved boiling off the alcohol at 173° which should begin the decarb of the THC, no? Or does the alcohol burn off fast enough to minimize decarb? I wish they sold Everclear in CA!

Back on the CBD-for-insomnia question if I may...I thought that the reason not to harvest plants late was that as the trichomes turn amber, the cannabinoid ratio of THC to CBD shifts in favor of CBD as the THC degrades. This change in ratio is what produces the "couchlock" effect. If it's the higher CBD to THC ratio that causes the couchlock, how can CBD also be the "alerting" cannabinoid?

That’s just it: I don’t know. 420 is not forthcoming on CBD values....

Beautiful plant Mike! I guess 420 isn't forthcoming with CBD values because they're negligible! .36%? 35:1? Crazy! I wonder what their "low" percentage CBD strains look like. Thanks for doing the testing :thumb:

QUESTION: What do you guys think is the best grinder for a oz. or more (for decarb)?

:cco::thanks::cco:

QUESTION: What do you guys think is the best grinder for a oz. or more (for decarb)?

:cco::thanks::cco:

I dont know what grinding has to do with decarb, but I use a mortar and pestle to grind the dried leaves and buds down to manageable bits, then use the pestle to "grind" the rest through either a kitchen collander or even a kitchen strainer for powder.

By doing it by hand, you can pick out the tiny stems as you go.

I dont know what grinding has to do with decarb, but I use a mortar and pestle to grind the dried leaves and buds down to manageable bits, then use the pestle to "grind" the rest through either a kitchen collander or even a kitchen strainer for powder.

By doing it by hand, you can pick out the tiny stems as you go.

Thank you for your reply AKgramma, that is a good idea. I break down my buds by hand & then decarb in a turkey bag before I make the Tinctures.

Thank you for your reply AKgramma, that is a good idea. I break down my buds by hand & then decarb in a turkey bag before I make the Tinctures.

I have never decarbed before making tinctures. The ancient method is to start your tincture during the New Moon, and let it brew in a dark cabinet for a month. As the moon marches towards full, it will draw the essences out of the plant into your liquid.

Anytime after a month, you can strain the pulp and process the tincture in a number of ways. The pulp is still good. Dry it and grind into powder for cooking. It wont get you high, but it WILL proactively infuse your body with the healing chemicals of Cannabis.

Waste not, want not.

I know I haven't posted here in a while but I got behind and I haven't been back since. But, I will be back at some point. It's just so hard to keep up with all the threads I'm interested in when I work full-time and have other stuff to do. But I'm not here to whine. I have a quick question.

Amy Gardner posted an interesting article about hempseed oil on G2HM's grow journal and I'm wondering if using hempseed oil to make canna-infused oil is a good or bad thing?

Amy's article said that hempseed oil is a good source of Omega-3s and since I don't eat fish (don't like it), I'm wondering if I could use hemp seed oil in place of the sunflower oil I've been using for my canna oil capsules. I typically take about 5 capsules a day so that would be an excellent way to get those omegas I'm short on.

Here's Amy's post in case anyone else is interested:

Hi G2HM

I’ve been meaning to pop in here for ages, just made it!

Curious you post that about fish oil right when I arrive here, as I’ve needed to find out about Essential Fatty Acids (the ‘omegas’ among others) lately and just have to throw in my 2cents here. There are cognitive issues involved in the condition I manage too. Different to what you experience, but often times treatments are similar.

Hemp seed oil is considered by many (me included now) to be a far superior source of all the things you talk about. Hemp seed oil actually contains the exact ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 that we humans require (about 4:1).

No surprise really to discover another way that a Cannabis product is a perfect fit for the human body ..

As I understand it DHA is a product of what the body does with omega 3 and balance is most important. There is also research to show that much fish oil people buy is toxin contaminated by all the pollutants in the ocean moving up the food chain. Because fish oil is largely taken from higher predators, there is a high accumulation of toxins (from all the other fish they have eaten!). So no wonder you don’t like taking it! Some of these toxins can include mercury and arsenic, plus pesticide byproducts, all of which can actually impair neurological development.

You might look into the benefits of hemp seed oil for the effects you’re after. I usually put a dessert spoon of it in my juice nearly every day - and all this has reminded me I’ve slacked off on that lately and ought to reintroduce.

So in short, it’s possible (and many claim it is so) that hemp seed oil can do everything fish oil does and do it better, without toxic risk. I’ll try to list some sources for this info if anyone needs me to. I’ve just shared here what’s stayed in my mind from all the stuff I’ve read.

I’m not sure the same risk goes for putting it on your plants, I know there are lots of fish products used by many folks for their plants, including fish bone meal. That’s something I haven’t looked into.

I did listen to a growing podcast recently that warned about various produce industry waste products being repurposed as plant fertiliser and allowed the ‘organic’ label because it’s animal product, when it may be anything but organic (for example, blood n bone from hormone treated livestock - I wouldn’t want those hormones in my grow!).

Anyway - I’ll pop back and catch up on your journal history now.

Please don’t think I’m criticising anyone’s practices, we all do what works for us - I just saw a conversation where I had something I thought relevant and possibly important to add. .

Edit: I’ll add this reading reference. There’s a lot out there but this gives a relatively balanced overview.
HempLogic: Can hemp oil replace fish oil in the human diet?

Edit 2: after reading the first few pages in your journal, I came back to check my post for clarity, and to make the paragraphs nice and short ..

Flaxseeds and flax seed oil in food. Try fish once. Year ..just because..omega 3 in flaxseed super high for,oil.pistachos super high and delicious loved with omega 3... I’d leave my medicine/cannabis thta works..ALONE...

ok so figured id start a post here now i got my magical butter machine im ready to start making some oil i had a question about the machine can i use it to make the kind of oil u would put in a vape pen or sumthn also what isthe best strain so far people have noticed to help with chronic pain control?? here is my mbm2

20171110_100541.jpg

Vape oil is way different Jones, I'd Google it and see how it's made, it contains 191 alcohol and food grade glycerin. You can make alcohol tincture in the machine or partially in it

As Sue has taught us high THC is best for pain, now I do like a good shot of CBD as well but I like two separate pills, one THC one CBD

I need to use my magic butter machine ... I have a bunch of Candida and Green Doc that would make a great oil, maybe tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom