Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL - LED

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

I couldn't agree more. As to your evolution towards LOS gardening, :thumb:

Your life deserves to be this easy too.

This is how lasting change occurs. Light the path, show proven results, let people find their own way to duplicate that change, guided by your lead.
When you're ready, please join us. Build your own soil. Make your own life easier as you watch your own soil grow the most amazing plants you could ever hope to to enjoy.

I'm getting there, worms worming and already have the other ingredients for the soil mix.
I'd like to have one big "community" pot but I'm limited to 2ftx2ft flowering area
so I'm probably going to stay with smaller pots (2-3 gal) that I can move easily in that area.

I do have a question, I'm thinking that 2 gal would be too small to do a no-till, though
that's just a guess on my part. Do you think that the 3 gals would be big enough to do
a decent no-till?

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

I am SO excited to get started on my HB and LOS paths. I have two batches of soil mixed for an outside grow. Now just waiting for the weather to cooperate. Thanks to everyone who makes positive contributions to this area of 420 grows.

From my perspective, it is like a dark cloud has been lifted from the entire forum. I was about to say goodbye, but now I can enjoy the discussions w/o holding my breath in anticipation of childish bragging, bluster, and name calling.

Sent from my crystal-waiving, chakra-tinting, tipi-living drum circle.

:circle-of-love:

Daily Update: Dark Devil Auto - Day 21

Steady progress. No complaints on my end.

image23187.jpg

image23188.jpg

image23189.jpg

No need for anything else today. The reservoirs will carry for another day. She got her regular 1/4 turn. I think she looks happy in her indoor forest floor space, don't you?

Up too late last night. I've been indulging myself with late night conversations on the threads. I wonder how long I think I can survive on four hours a night? I can't seem to help myself. You are all too engaging. :blushsmile:

Before I dash out to the nursing home, let me cook some buds for Dale.

image23190.jpg

This has turned out to be the easiest and most reliable way available to get meds into his system while being in nursing care. 30 minutes at 225 degrees F. He simply pops it in his mouth like candy. I like to think that eating the plant matter enhances the healing power. I was over at Gfcollective's juicing thread last night and he may have changed my life. I am determined to grow enough to be able to serve my family cannabis as a vegetable. There is far more curative power in this plant than we suspect. GFcollective led me to a film about Rick Simpson oil that I will be watching a few times over the next couple days.

When I started growing, it was with the intention of keeping Dale high enough that he could function under the unbelievable stresses of his body systems collapsing around him. I hadn't even considered the potential to heal some of these challenges. Not sure if I stumbled onto this too late, but you can bet I'll give it my best shot.

This plant should be completely legal. What are they thinking?

You all have a wonderful day. I survived a storm last night. I'm feeling very joyful today. May your own joy spill out all over your day as well.

:Namaste:

I'm getting there, worms worming and already have the other ingredients for the soil mix.
I'd like to have one big "community" pot but I'm limited to 2ftx2ft flowering area
so I'm probably going to stay with smaller pots (2-3 gal) that I can move easily in that area.

I do have a question, I'm thinking that 2 gal would be too small to do a no-till, though
that's just a guess on my part. Do you think that the 3 gals would be big enough to do
a decent no-till?

I know for a fact that three gallons can be run as a no-till. It takes vigilance with the teas and drenches because such a small soil volume isn't as forgiving of neglect, but if you SWICK you will avoid the biggest concern, consistently even hydration. When you get to that point we will work as a team to help you learn to manage micro no-till. It can and does succeed in 3 gallons. That's really the absolute limit so far. Get some worms into those pots and it becomes easier.

I am SO excited to get started on my HB and LOS paths. I have two batches of soil mixed for an outside grow. Now just waiting for the weather to cooperate. Thanks to everyone who makes positive contributions to this area of 420 grows.

From my perspective, it is like a dark cloud has been lifted from the entire forum. I was about to say goodbye, but now I can enjoy the discussions w/o holding my breath in anticipation of childish bragging, bluster, and name calling.

Sent from my crystal-waiving, chakra-tinting, tipi-living drum circle.

:circle-of-love:

Good to hear Major. I didn't want to lose your valuable input. I was a bit concerned a day ago, but like soil, you just create a stronger environment. On this thread it means positivity and joy.

I like having you in the room.

Roasted buds? Just throw them in the oven all by themselves? Awesome!

Good to hear Major. I didn't want to lose your valuable input. I was a bit concerned a day ago, but like soil, you just create a stronger environment. On this thread it means positivity and joy.

I like having you in the room.

You are too kind. I'm glad to be here. I'd like to offer more in the way of knowledge. Right now I'm in full on learn mode. Someday I will be able to make contributions, but for now, I'm a sponge.

Roasted buds? Just throw them in the oven all by themselves? Awesome!

You are too kind. I'm glad to be here. I'd like to offer more in the way of knowledge. Right now I'm in full on learn mode. Someday I will be able to make contributions, but for now, I'm a sponge.

Pretty tasty too. Surprisingly tasty. They have a nutty edge to them, regardless of which strain I choose. They hit within twenty minutes after ingesting, so an effective dosing method. I find it easier to judge the dose this way.

225 degrees F. 30 minutes. That's it, and no smoking needed. I actually do this with little buds I'm smoking too. I feel it heightens the high. Just anecdotal on my part, but it makes enough difference that I keep doing it.

I won't spam your journal Sue. I am excited about getting started in soil, but probably no journal for a while yet. Here is the organic mix (before watering) for my first two outdoor plants. I hope it really is m/l idiot proof. :thanks:

3S_Mixed_2_03-30-15.jpg

You treat your soil better than me probably, lol. I've barely done anything but water this time. If you were growing the same exact genetics as me I'd bet yours would be a little better. The smartpots are probably better, too.

Edit: I attribute my success largely to my own homemade vermicompost. You can't beat making your own.

I've a growing suspicion that vermicompost is the ultimate game changer for no-till.

From the University of Hawaii, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR), Soil Nutrient Management for Maui County.

Volcanic ash soils (Andisol)

Typical Characteristics:

Parent Material: Volcanic soils, also known as Andisols, are formed from volcanic ash and cinder deposits. While most of the world's volcanic soils are not highly weathered, there are notable exceptions on Maui.
Mineralogy: Volcanic soils largely consist of non-crystalline (amorphous) minerals, such as allophone and imogolite.
These minerals form strong bonds with organic matter. As a result, organic matter generally accumulates in the surface horizon.
In addition to organic matter, volcanic soils may also contain high amounts of volcanic glass material with the possibility of amorphous iron and aluminum minerals.
Physical Traits: Andisols are usually light and fluffy and are easily tilled. Like a sponge, these soils also hold a lot of water.
Fertility: When not highly weathered, volcanic soils are typically very fertile soils. However, volcanic soils form strong complexes with phosphorus. When poorly managed, phosphorus can be limiting. Additionally, the amorphous minerals that dominate volcanic soil can generate an anion exchange capacity (AEC) when under acidic conditions and depleted in organic matter. Fertility problems may be corrected with additions of organic matter, lime and/or fertilizer amendments.

It's sad to admit how much of that is beyond my comprehension, at this point. I sense there's a key in here about my soils, so I'll find a way to decipher it and find whatever called to me when I first spotted it. What first jumped out was that volcanic soils were fertile because the ash formed strong bonds with organic matter. The tendency to contain more volcanic glass material sounds provocative. The water retaining ability is familiar to me. It's what makes the SWICK work so well. I need more study. Still haven't connected the dots.

When I started it was the ability to simply plant a well-built soil and water only to harvest. This is actually possible on first-run soils. But something happens with living soil. Suddenly you want to understand the process that keeps the soil food web alive. You become obsessed with wanting to know why? Understanding the whys means you can now begin to understand the process of making your soil healthier. I

You wouldn't believe the time I spend studying. I'm loving every minute of it. My eyes are beginning to complain. :laughtwo::green_heart:

From the University of Hawaii, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR), Soil Nutrient Management for Maui County.

Volcanic ash soils (Andisol)

Typical Characteristics:

Parent Material: Volcanic soils, also known as Andisols, are formed from volcanic ash and cinder deposits. While most of the world’s volcanic soils are not highly weathered, there are notable exceptions on Maui.
Mineralogy: Volcanic soils largely consist of non-crystalline (amorphous) minerals, such as allophone and imogolite.
These minerals form strong bonds with organic matter. As a result, organic matter generally accumulates in the surface horizon.
In addition to organic matter, volcanic soils may also contain high amounts of volcanic glass material with the possibility of amorphous iron and aluminum minerals.
Physical Traits: Andisols are usually light and fluffy and are easily tilled. Like a sponge, these soils also hold a lot of water.
Fertility: When not highly weathered, volcanic soils are typically very fertile soils. However, volcanic soils form strong complexes with phosphorus. When poorly managed, phosphorus can be limiting. Additionally, the amorphous minerals that dominate volcanic soil can generate an anion exchange capacity (AEC) when under acidic conditions and depleted in organic matter. Fertility problems may be corrected with additions of organic matter, lime and/or fertilizer amendments.

It's sad to admit how much of that is beyond my comprehension, at this point. I sense there's a key in here about my soils, so I'll find a way to decipher it and find whatever called to me when I first spotted it. What first jumped out was that volcanic soils were fertile because the ash formed strong bonds with organic matter. The tendency to contain more volcanic glass material sounds provocative. The water retaining ability is familiar to me. It's what makes the SWICK work so well. I need more study. Still haven't connected the dots.

When I started it was the ability to simply plant a well-built soil and water only to harvest. This is actually possible on first-run soils. But something happens with living soil. Suddenly you want to understand the process that keeps the soil food web alive. You become obsessed with wanting to know why? Understanding the whys means you can now begin to understand the process of making your soil healthier. I

You wouldn't believe the time I spend studying. I'm loving every minute of it. My eyes are beginning to complain. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Don't be confused by sterile/corporate farming notions and confuse them with your soil. Volcanic soil has great CEC....and it has minerals. It doesn't work so well if you farm with salts.....these are the "fertility problems" spoken of.

No more than 8% humus is about where you want to be in a highly mineralized soil.

Don't be confused by sterile/corporate farming notions and confuse them with your soil. Volcanic soil has great CEC....and it has minerals. It doesn't work so well if you farm with salts.....these are the "fertility problems" spoken of.

No more than 8% humus is about where you want to be in a highly mineralized soil.

But my highly mineralized LOS is in the neighborhood of 30% mix of humus (vermicompost, compost, leaf mold: in my case mostly vermicompost). So are you saying the HB mix is 8% humus added, and in the case of the soil I mixed that would be the EWC, correct?

Thanks for the clarification. I'd planned on getting more time to study. Life keeps interfering.

So that's one major distinction between the soil mixes: 8% humus content for the HB kit and approx. 30% humus in the LOS.

I'm thinking the drenches and teas used with the kit add into the soil many of the things we mix into our LOS up front. I need to pull out my notes from the list of ingredients you shared on my first journal and look that over again.

Thanks for the clarification. I'd planned on getting more time to study. Life keeps interfering.

So that's one major distinction between the soil mixes: 8% humus content for the HB kit and approx. 30% humus in the LOS.

I'm thinking the drenches and teas used with the kit add into the soil many of the things we mix into our LOS up front. I need to pull out my notes from the list of ingredients you shared on my first journal and look that over again.

The drenches are real simple: liquid fish, calcium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium phosphate, depending on the drench. The Tea product is an incredibly potent microbial tea in a liquid humate carrier, so it also functions as a humic acid drench.

Minerals and microbes. Not much organic material is needed. Some, for sure. But not as much as I used to think.

The drenches are real simple: liquid fish, calcium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium phosphate, depending on the drench. The Tea product is an incredibly potent microbial tea in a liquid humate carrier, so it also functions as a humic acid drench.

Minerals and microbes. Not much organic material is needed. Some, for sure. But not as much as I used to think.

It's an interesting soil approach and at some odds with what LOS provides. Do the synthetic salts in the HB kit have any detrimental effect on the biota? I ask because one of the foundational beliefs of LOS is the danger synthetics pose to the mycorrhizae. This is my greatest stumbling block going in Doc. My training is to assist the growth of the biota, and the mychorrizae turn out to be responsible for the majority of the soil structure as well as the major facilitators of balanced distribution of available nutrients as per the needs of individual plants. Do you have any evidence of the effects of the kit ingredients on the mycorrhizae? Has anyone thought to look?

I'm holding to your description of it being closer to having the biota exercise a bit more. Can you understand how this feels at odds with my core beliefs about the SFW? Much of it is cross over. I use enzyme teas fortified with kelp meal, aloe gear and fulvic acid. I also use regular drenches of aloe vera juice and coconut water. Occasionally a humic acid tea with micro nutrients. Neem seed meal for Integrated Pest a Management (IPM).

Two different soil mixes. I'm not sure how different the biota would be. No denying each soil grows fabulous plants. Interesting.

Has the discussion got back to politeness? ;) I was shocked the other night by some holier than thou member the other night...Is it safe to come out now? I felt bad you were so disrespected and mistreated all I could do was muster a Wow...
I hope Dale is doing better SweetSue. I am sorry you had to put up with that ugliness, you certainly did not deserve that on your journal or in your life.
Happy happy joy joy :) :love:

Has the discussion got back to politeness? ;) I was shocked the other night by some holier than thou member the other night...Is it safe to come out now? I felt bad you were so disrespected and mistreated all I could do was muster a Wow...
I hope Dale is doing better SweetSue. I am sorry you had to put up with that ugliness, you certainly did not deserve that on your journal or in your life.
Happy happy joy joy :) :love:

The air is clear, the pages are clean. All's well. We have indeed returned to the civility that is my home.

Dale is fine, amazingly so. I, however, am having a rough time getting my digestive system to function smoothly and have decided to stay home until that clears up and I can sit comfortably again. Too much stress, no Callanetics for a week, abysmal eating practices (no yogurt in over a week - what was I thinking?) and the biggest problem, not drinking enough water. I keep forgetting that I have to take care of Susan too. Now it's critical enough I have to take meds. Learn from my mistake.

I think I'll tend to my plant and do some cleaning and begin rearranging to fit in the tent. Yes, the tent is in shipment! WooHoo!!!

Back
Top Bottom