Testing New LED Lights vs 1000w HPS

Thanks buddy...you had to throw that BUT in there...LOL

So things look pretty good, as you can see these panels can do a good job...a couple of things happened that set these plants back a bit, so there's definitely room for improvement. We however have not posted any pics from the HID plants yet and when we do you will see that the HPS plants are a bit better.
Some of our obsevations so far:
The more panels the better....duh...it's why Cammie gets the results she does. She's running 4 times the number of panels in approx. the same amount of space.
To get the same coverage as 1000w HID you will need four 126w. That's still half the hydro consumption.
These panels are suppose to be equal to 400w HID on their own and from the results so far there's nothing wrong with the comparison.
Half the cola buds have huge white pistil beards I haven't seen before with HID's or outdoor. I believe it was do to having the lights so close to the plants.
This is only Ledtesters third grow ever so someone with more experience I'm sure could get better results.

You said a couple things happened that set the plants back a bit. Did that also happen to the HID light or do you feel thats the reason the HID plants look a bit better? Given your experience with HID and LED if you were going to build a new bloom room what lights would you use and why?

I guess that means the future of lighting...is available today!

-TL
LOL thats great. I was trying to come up with a witty thing to say about the date but couldnt think of anything.

You said a couple things happened that set the plants back a bit. Did that also happen to the HID light or do you feel thats the reason the HID plants look a bit better? Given your experience with HID and LED if you were going to build a new bloom room what lights would you use and why?

First we had a nice canopy set up for these lights but they ended up spending 3 days under a 400MH because the lights were late which caused about a 6" stretch right from the begining. Second I don't think we helped any by pruning the fan leaves as Cammie suggested. We tested the pruning on some HPS plants at the same time and they basically did the same thing. Growth slowed right down.
I have a very experienced grower who's going to give me a third party opinion in the next week or so. Ledtester and I have a hard time with anything but close up shots due to space constraints to post but i'm trying to arrange a group photo when were done...LOL

LOL thats great. I was trying to come up with a witty thing to say about the date but couldnt think of anything.
I gave Cammie a GREAT Marketing idea that she either stole or didn't go over to well....lol... I told her to get a picture of the profile of a naked guy standing under her light and photoshop a nice big cola where his johnson should be with the caption "IF MEN WERE THIS GOOD YOU WOULDN'T NEED OUR LIGHTS!"

Half the cola buds have huge white pistil beards I haven't seen before with HID's or outdoor. I believe it was do to having the lights so close to the plants.

Just in time for Christmas. I bet Santa wish his beard was made out of pistils...

Betcha he wouldn't.. I would have to jump him and stuff his head in a bowl and smoke it........ Great journal, the bearded ladies are looking pretty damn sweet..... Nice job growing and keeping the journal..... :peace:

First we had a nice canopy set up for these lights but they ended up spending 3 days under a 400MH because the lights were late which caused about a 6" stretch right from the begining. Second I don't think we helped any by pruning the fan leaves as Cammie suggested. We tested the pruning on some HPS plants at the same time and they basically did the same thing. Growth slowed right down.
I have a very experienced grower who's going to give me a third party opinion in the next week or so. Ledtester and I have a hard time with anything but close up shots due to space constraints to post but i'm trying to arrange a group photo when were done...LOL

I gave Cammie a GREAT Marketing idea that she either stole or didn't go over to well....lol... I told her to get a picture of the profile of a naked guy standing under her light and photoshop a nice big cola where his johnson should be with the caption "IF MEN WERE THIS GOOD YOU WOULDN'T NEED OUR LIGHTS!"

ROFL thats pretty funny. To bad its targeting the wrong audience. I think most people who buy her lights are men.

When you said you trimmed the fan leaves do you mean leaves that were still healthy and green that were just getting in the way, or were they starting to die off already?

ROFL thats pretty funny. To bad its targeting the wrong audience. I think most people who buy her lights are men.

When you said you trimmed the fan leaves do you mean leaves that were still healthy and green that were just getting in the way, or were they starting to die off already?

No, Cammie suggested removing most of the fan leaves to allow light penetration...we don't normally do that so ledtester only removed some and over a period of a week but rather then help I think it hindered their progress.
Buds didn't overlap as well...the same thing happened with the HPS plants where we removed some of the leaves.

Oh, I dont subscribe to the whole remove your fan leaves that are blocking bud thing. I know a lot of people do and I think its a matter of personal preference. I had to remove some green growth to make room for reservoir access but other then that only old dead leaves get picked off.
I think it was done to early.
We're going to do a new one from scratch as soon as this is over using Durban Poison and a whole lot of topping...LOL

Yes, all have have heard and read discourage removing those leaves and it does make sense not to, but everyone has a different opinion and ways of doing things and it looks like you have yours all figured out. Great job and keep up the good work.

IMAG0019.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I did not know it was possible to bleach out a bud with leds. Was it under 6 inches from the panel?

LED buds will bleach!!! Anything under about 4-6" may cause bleaching. This is strain dependent from what we all can tell so far...but it has happened, and I have seen it happen under different units, made by different company's.

Gotta keep an eye on the ladies! Stupid white will take over the most yummy part of your nug if you don't watch!

Keep growing!

Go green!

LED buds will bleach!!! Anything under about 4-6" may cause bleaching. This is strain dependent from what we all can tell so far...but it has happened, and I have seen it happen under different units, made by different company's.

Gotta keep an eye on the ladies! Stupid white will take over the most yummy part of your nug if you don't watch!

Keep growing!

Go green!

LOL...that's bleaching...we we're looking for bleaching on the leaves, not the buds to start growin beards...LOL

I just can't hold this back any longer but after much thought I would like to appologize to my family, friends and all at 420 Mag. For a year and a half now I have been deceiving everyone including myself but I just can't take it anymore....I hope my wife can find it in her heart to forgive me for my transgressions and I know that I'll spend the rest of my life making up for the fact I've been sleeping with Elin Nordegren all this time. I'm glad she's taken my advice of taking up golf and wish her all the best in her future indeavors.
Love and peace Elin,
your little Sphincter.

I just can't hold this back any longer but after much thought I would like to appologize to my family, friends and all at 420 Mag. For a year and a half now I have been deceiving everyone including myself but I just can't take it anymore....I hope my wife can find it in her heart to forgive me for my transgressions and I know that I'll spend the rest of my life making up for the fact I've been sleeping with Elin Nordegren all this time. I'm glad she's taken my advice of taking up golf and wish her all the best in her future indeavors.
Love and peace Elin,
your little Sphincter.

I've been sleeping with her too! What a co-incidence!

Any good place to get LED, how many do you need to be equal to 1000w HPS.

Back
Top Bottom