Lovin' those pink/red cotyledons! :green_heart:
Sadly enough they are green. They are under a blurple strip light so I adjust things in my editor. It's almost impossible to adjust the white balance for that mix and it's the best I can do. Here's what they look like with the lights off.

:Rasta:

Hello MrSauga, interesting about the tap root. I have always planted with the tap root down first. Next time around, I'll give it a go and point the cap down first. Have a relaxing evening and stay well.:ciao:

PS nice demonstration of seed starting
Thanks MsBean! Always a pleasure to have you stop by. Enjoy your evening. :hug:

Sadly enough they are green. They are under a blurple strip light so I adjust things in my editor. It's almost impossible to adjust the white balance for that mix and it's the best I can do. Here's what they look like with the lights off.

:Rasta:
You had mentioned that, but it was the only one in the pic showing the red cotyledons so I thought it was the pheno. :oops:

You had mentioned that, but it was the only one in the pic showing the red cotyledons so I thought it was the pheno. :oops:
Would be a sight to see!
Nature doesn't take the time to orientate seeds correctly.
Exactly! This is also partly why I will say I’m 100% on board with your edumacation here MrS but not the methodical outcome. And this gives me the opportunity to explain why. I hope I may :)

Because of ...
a process called Geotropism(geo=ground - tropism=growth). The radicle, or seed root, will always grow down (positive geotropism) while the shoot, or plumule, will grow upwards (negative geotropism).
...and

gravitropism
- which is similar but slightly different - I plant my seeds straight in the soil.

So I’m using the same information to come to a different conclusion and different method.

When a seed sprouts outside the growing medium and is then moved to a medium (whichever way it plants) it has to rely on the gravitropism that enables a plant to change its growth direction in relation to gravity (it’s usually lying on it’s ‘side’, right, when sprouted outside the media). So it has to make an adjustment to the change of direction in gravitational force very early in its life.

This is the main reason why I like to start my seeds straight in the media because it ensures those responses to gravity just get a clear run, with no directional adjustments needed. Just good to go from the get go!

I have a near perfect gemination record sprouting seeds that way and fully 100% since I stopped thinking about which way they were oriented and just drop them in there! ;)

So I’m of course not saying geriminating outside the media doesn’t work or is really terrible or anything... clearly it works because gazillions of people do it and many of you bunch all grow perfectly spectacular plants germinated that way. So I’m not dis’ing anyone or anything. Just shootin the breeze about it...
:ciao:

phototropic (might have just made up a word?)
You didn’t. That is absolutely a thing! And a word, too.

And this gives me the opportunity to explain why. I hope I may :)
Absolutely! It's an open journal for all to discuss and hopefully everyone learns as we move along.
When a seed sprouts outside the growing medium and is then moved to a medium (whichever way it plants) it has to rely on the gravitropism that enables a plant to change its growth direction in relation to gravity (it’s usually lying on it’s ‘side’, right, when sprouted outside the media). So it has to make an adjustment to the change of direction in gravitational force very early in its life.
Very true. The little image I showed of the seed orientation was if it was planted directly into the ground, as you do. The difference being you are not concerned about direction as you want the seed to have that clear run with little gravitational changes as you stated. It doesn't really apply to sprouting seeds outside the medium but I do it that way to help with the heads. It's arguable to say the tap root always emerges with a curl, so I think the image was to show that naturally that root wants to turn down if the radicle is pointed up which was to save the plant some energy of being redirected down if planted with the radicle down.
This is the main reason why I like to start my seeds straight in the media because it ensures those responses to gravity just get a clear run, with no directional adjustments needed. Just good to go from the get go!
Just like nature herself :) I think more experienced growers have better success this way since the understanding of germination is more prominent. Planting too deep, under/over watering all effect the germination of a seed and for the most part it's safer for new growers to stick with sprouting outside the media.
I have a near perfect gemination record sprouting seeds that way and fully 100% since I stopped thinking about which way they were oriented and just drop them in there! ;)
I typically don't have a problem with germination either but I like to sprout outside the media because I can tell if the seed is going to be viable or not. I get antsy after a few days and my seeds are still hiding ;)
Just shootin the breeze about it...
Rootin' tootin' shootin' there Amy! I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way. I know members have had problems with helmet heads and this can be related to not planting deep enough but I do find the shells pop off 100% when the heads are down. As you can see from planting 1/2" depth with the radicle up all three of mine came up within 36-48 hours so the process happens fast.

I absolutely agree with everything you have said and thanks for adding your input! For the little bit of energy burn while the root figures out which way to go is doing nothing to the plant imho. The main thing is we get them sprouted and above the ground.

at least you have the skills to do that. your pics look great. my jungle room pics always look like everything is being flogged under the desert sun. i been thinking about setting up a little area with normal lighting and a neutral background just so i can take proper photos.

new-lings look great. :)
did you have anything outside this season mr S ?

new-lings look great. :)
did you have anything outside this season mr S ?
Thanks bluter.
There's a funny story to that. My wife was going through my seed collection and she wanted to try growing something outside herself, but her way. So she took one seed each of a Tangiematic and THC Bomb Auto. She dropped them both in pucks and nothing happened.
Two weeks later I'm cleaning around the deck and the peat pucks were still there in a pile with some other dirt. She gave up on them, but because of where they were there was enough moisture that got one going. I have no idea which one it is and it's way behind. I never did find the other seed and I've been nursing this one back to health but I don't expect much in the end. I'll grab some pics later of her.

Thanks bluter.
There's a funny story to that. My wife was going through my seed collection and she wanted to try growing something outside herself, but her way. So she took one seed each of a Tangiematic and THC Bomb Auto. She dropped them both in pucks and nothing happened.
Two weeks later I'm cleaning around the deck and the peat pucks were still there in a pile with some other dirt. She gave up on them, but because of where they were there was enough moisture that got one going. I have no idea which one it is and it's way behind. I never did find the other seed and I've been nursing this one back to health but I don't expect much in the end. I'll grab some pics later of her.

that's friggin great. she's probably a keeper lol

i'm a big proponent of the toughest are best. you might wanna bring her in if she's clean for a shot.

i'm wondering if i could bring an outdoor container grow together next yr. mom has asked a few times if it's possible. think we could maybe do a pile of cbd in one or two big plants. i built her a little hydro fed container garden this yr. it's doing well on waste feed from the indoor.

you might wanna bring her in if she's clean for a shot.
Both my tents are used so she'll have to stay outside. We've been getting some great weather and she seems happy so it's an easy decision.
i'm wondering if i could bring an outdoor container grow together next yr. mom has asked a few times if it's possible. think we could maybe do a pile of cbd in one or two big plants. i built her a little hydro fed container garden this yr. it's doing well on waste feed from the indoor.
It's convenient in pots because you can move them whenever you have to, but come fall there are more things to worry about such as temps and rain which have you hoping things finish up without rot.

I'm sure you mention it all the time but how long do you typically veg for??
I don't think I've ever mentioned it since I never have a plan. I wait until the plant looks like it's ready. You can just tell when it's time. Everything is green, full and perky. If my supply is running low I'll flip early but for the most part I listen to when the plants want it. If I was to guess maybe between 45 and 60 days. The Mokum's Tulips and Meringue just went 75 days so between 45 and 75 days now. :)

my jungle room pics always look like everything is being flogged under the desert sun. i been thinking about setting up a little area with normal lighting and a neutral background just so i can take proper photos.
I find I get the best pics by just turning off the lights and using the flash. ;)

I find I get the best pics by just turning off the lights and using the flash.

have taken a few but i don't really get enough light. there is a reflective background which is not friendly either, and zero backlighting. one bare bulb on the wrong side of the area that hangs on as a refugee of a bygone era lol

i have a fluorescent work light i put in the space , and i do take some pics with that and the flash. sorta almost better.

I don't think I've ever mentioned it since I never have a plan. I wait until the plant looks like it's ready. You can just tell when it's time. Everything is green, full and perky. If my supply is running low I'll flip early but for the most part I listen to when the plants want it. If I was to guess maybe between 45 and 60 days. The Mokum's Tulips and Meringue just went 75 days so between 45 and 75 days now.

i never try to time anything. there is a point in veg where you flip or up pot
i always shoot for that and scew it up somewhat .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's convenient in pots because you can move them whenever you have to, but come fall there are more things to worry about such as temps and rain which have you hoping things finish up without rot.

same. we mostly frost out.
we have to start indoor to really get anywhere as well.

Back
Top Bottom