Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000w

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Hey Papa, and all. Awesome journal. I'm eating up all the electrical info - it's not an issue for me at the moment but my plans and dreams for the future include many more watts and amps so having some knowledge about what it takes to keep from - burning down the house - is much appreciated.

I'm also very pleased to see I'm not the only one around here who's having fun with Photoshop. Nice work brother grower!

:thumb:

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Thanks! And thanks for poking in! Welcome aboard. Great to have someone of your caliber along for the ride! I'm in the process of learning to upgrade my electricity. Still literally won't be half the size of your grow.:thumb:

You should know by now that size doesn't matter ;-P It's all about the quality brother.... :yummy: And....you sure got that! Where do you think I am getting my ideas from? This site and other great growers like you that share their experiences. This is starting to sound good, I can tell that I am highly medicated right now. So, I better get to my thread and update before I forget.

papa,
been following on the electrical, i sure hope my hubby gets it, I DONT DO ELECTRIC... but he wants to know it, so showed him this...it is interesting tho, but I need electricity for idiots....
those plants are hugh....how big a room, and how much light?....all for now, lavendar, shakes head as she ponders what she has read....:nicethread::bravo::bravo::welldone::thanks:

Green007 Thank you for....

"Talking Heads "Burning Down the House"

One of favorites of all this......well, actually any Talking Heads will do!:yahoo:

Right on. Sounds like we're at the right speed. Gonna get some sleep and check that out in the morning. Thanks again. And, please, never feel like we're on any kind of a schedule. Unless you see something that's gonna burn down my house!:rofl:

:thanks::peace:[/QUOTE]

That's a good point... I'm big on wiring it right! No short cuts!
get it short I slay myself :yahoo:

Papa sometimes I miss wiring stuff, this helps...

Your wiring looks fine man no burning issues ;)

Let's talk about legs... not those ones...

One leg of electric current varies from about 100 volts to 120 volts that is why some people say 110 volts some say 120 volts...

One leg -single phase 120 volts
two legs- 2 phase (What most of you all have coming into you house) 240 volts
three legs- 3 phase (What I have coming in) 480 volts

So if I say 220 instead of 240 or I could say 277... it's all the sort of the same JUST think oh 2 phase not about the hard numbers on voltage...

So the last place we left off was wire gauge size...

The wire carries the load, not the breakers simple right?

So the 14 gauge wire we all have in our houses will only take 25 amps before it heats up enough and trips the breaker or fuse... So when a breaker trips just think to yourself wow the wire in my wall on that circuit is 194*F

That's why it's a really bad idea to up you breaker size in any panel...

Papa you asked before is it OK to take out a 50 amp breaker in your sub panel "my AC only needs 30 amps" I would just leave it be, you might get a bigger AC... The wire looks to be #6 or #8 we wire hot water heaters, stoves,AC with it. That's why in your main panel the circuits look unbalanced... If you did change it you would not get amps added to any thing...

When you open a sub panel you will see 2 legs of 120 volts and one common or white wire you wont miss them they are big, hooked into a couple of blocks we call the blocks a "bus bar"

On a stove,ac,water heater circuit we use a breaker that snaps over BOTH legs of 120 volts. Or over 2 bus bars

On a 120 volt circuit we use a breaker that snaps over one leg of 120 volts. Or 1 bus bar

So the sub panel is just a distribution center for power, be it 120 volts or 240 volts depends on the breaker you use...

When running a sub panel we first think how far from the main? How big is the TOTAL loads going to be on the wire...

We will use my sub panel as a guide since we know the #1 thing you must know before you add on to any sub panel WIRE size It's 75 feet of #3 copper the wire itself not the sheathing or coating is almost a 1/4"

I have a 100 amp breaker in my main that run's my sub panel. In my sub panel I have 190 amps worth of breakers and circuits???

Hey how the hell can I do that? Simple I will show you how... It comes down to knowing your loads on each and every branch circuit coming out in the sub panel... So Papa's total real world TOTAL amp draw on his sub panel can only go to 50 amps based on the breaker and size of wire at the main the sparky put in...

More to come :peace: Got to go take care of the girls :yahoo:

Hey Papa, and all. Awesome journal. I'm eating up all the electrical info - it's not an issue for me at the moment but my plans and dreams for the future include many more watts and amps so having some knowledge about what it takes to keep from - burning down the house - is much appreciated.

I'm also very pleased to see I'm not the only one around here who's having fun with Photoshop. Nice work brother grower!

:thumb:

Right on! The electrical stuff is really something that unless you're a trained electrician - one really can't do too much prep or learning ahead of time.

I loves me some PS! My first paid copy of Photoshop was ver 2.0.

You should know by now that size doesn't matter ;-P It's all about the quality brother.... :yummy: And....you sure got that! Where do you think I am getting my ideas from? This site and other great growers like you that share their experiences. This is starting to sound good, I can tell that I am highly medicated right now. So, I better get to my thread and update before I forget.

Thanks! I have a feeling we can both pick up some good tips from mule - I'm gonna try to suck his brain for every iota - we're lucky to have a real electrician in the mix!

papa,
been following on the electrical, i sure hope my hubby gets it, I DONT DO ELECTRIC... but he wants to know it, so showed him this...it is interesting tho, but I need electricity for idiots....
those plants are hugh....how big a room, and how much light?....all for now, lavendar, shakes head as she ponders what she has read....:nicethread::bravo::bravo::welldone::thanks:

Hubby will do fine. At the pace we're gonna go - if one can't keep up, then its prolly wiser to get an electrician. ;)

Green007 Thank you for....

"Talking Heads "Burning Down the House"

One of favorites of all this......well, actually any Talking Heads will do!:yahoo:

Great song and classic video. I remember when that was like 1/5 of all the videos on MTV. But then that was back when there were ANY videos on MTV.

That's a good point... I'm big on wiring it right! No short cuts!
get it short I slay myself :yahoo:

Papa sometimes I miss wiring stuff, this helps...

Your wiring looks fine man no burning issues ;)

Let's talk about legs... not those ones...

One leg of electric current varies from about 100 volts to 120 volts that is why some people say 110 volts some say 120 volts...

One leg -single phase 120 volts
two legs- 2 phase (What most of you all have coming into you house) 240 volts
three legs- 3 phase (What I have coming in) 480 volts

So if I say 220 instead of 240 or I could say 277... it's all the sort of the same JUST think oh 2 phase not about the hard numbers on voltage...

So the last place we left off was wire gauge size...

The wire carries the load, not the breakers simple right?

So the 14 gauge wire we all have in our houses will only take 25 amps before it heats up enough and trips the breaker or fuse... So when a breaker trips just think to yourself wow the wire in my wall on that circuit is 194*F

That's why it's a really bad idea to up you breaker size in any panel...

Papa you asked before is it OK to take out a 50 amp breaker in your sub panel "my AC only needs 30 amps" I would just leave it be, you might get a bigger AC... The wire looks to be #6 or #8 we wire hot water heaters, stoves,AC with it. That's why in your main panel the circuits look unbalanced... If you did change it you would not get amps added to any thing...

When you open a sub panel you will see 2 legs of 120 volts and one common or white wire you wont miss them they are big, hooked into a couple of blocks we call the blocks a "bus bar"

On a stove,ac,water heater circuit we use a breaker that snaps over BOTH legs of 120 volts. Or over 2 bus bars

On a 120 volt circuit we use a breaker that snaps over one leg of 120 volts. Or 1 bus bar

So the sub panel is just a distribution center for power, be it 120 volts or 240 volts depends on the breaker you use...

When running a sub panel we first think how far from the main? How big is the TOTAL loads going to be on the wire...

We will use my sub panel as a guide since we know the #1 thing you must know before you add on to any sub panel WIRE size It's 75 feet of #3 copper the wire itself not the sheathing or coating is almost a 1/4"

I have a 100 amp breaker in my main that run's my sub panel. In my sub panel I have 190 amps worth of breakers and circuits???

Hey how the hell can I do that? Simple I will show you how... It comes down to knowing your loads on each and every branch circuit coming out in the sub panel... So Papa's total real world TOTAL amp draw on his sub panel can only go to 50 amps based on the breaker and size of wire at the main the sparky put in...

More to come :peace: Got to go take care of the girls :yahoo:

OK, read the few pages in Dr Who's journal. I gotta go back and read more of the journal. Good journal. But I did read all the stuff you've posted there. I'm jealous of your panel that's for sure.

I'm totally with you so far on the legs and 110/220.

Let me make sure we're on the same page. The run from the Distro to the Sub is a 60A prolly 6G wire. From the sub I have 30A allocated to the Air. Leaves 30A. I like where you're going with getting more out of it by knowing each drop.

Are you thinking I will be able to switch to 220v at the Sub, or pull another 60-100A run from the Distro?

This is super helpful for me and lots of others! As I said, man - I plan to suck your brain!

:yahoo::peace::thanks::rollit:

Mule sure knows his stuff looking at the posts. I am lucky enough to have an electrician friend that helps me for just price of materials, he likes being in the room :) He ran me new 200amp service with 100amp on each leg and has it wired ready to go for 400amp. He said soon we will amp it out to even the load between leg A and leg B because he mentioned it will save on power as well. I wonder how exactly that works, but he said it did. I'll be checking posts for Mule, thanks for the info!

Hubby will do fine. At the pace we're gonna go - if one can't keep up, then its prolly wiser to get an electrician. ;)

Yep I totally agree!

OK, read the few pages in Dr Who's journal. I gotta go back and read more of the journal. Good journal. But I did read all the stuff you've posted there. I'm jealous of your panel that's for sure.

I'm totally with you so far on the legs and 110/220.

Let me make sure we're on the same page. The run from the Distro to the Sub is a 60A prolly 6G wire. From the sub I have 30A allocated to the Air. Leaves 30A. I like where you're going with getting more out of it by knowing each drop.

Yep you have 30 amps left in that box! sorry I thought it was 50 amp breaker to the sub panel... And remember that ac only needs 30 amps on start up... :hmmmm: So a person who is really on the ball can balance those loads or shut one down one temporally while the ac start's as not to "kick the breaker" going to the sub panel...

Are you thinking I will be able to switch to 220v at the Sub

Yes we can use that left over 30 amps on 120v or 220v at the sub panel we can switch back and forth hell you decide!

Or pull another 60-100A run from the Distro?

I will go back and look at your main BRB the only way we could do that is changing out your whole MAIN panel your full on breakers...

This is super helpful for me and lots of others! As I said, man - I plan to suck your brain!

:yahoo::peace::thanks::rollit:

Mule sure knows his stuff looking at the posts. I am lucky enough to have an electrician friend that helps me for just price of materials, he likes being in the room :) He ran me new 200amp service with 100amp on each leg and has it wired ready to go for 400amp. He said soon we will amp it out to even the load between leg A and leg B because he mentioned it will save on power as well. I wonder how exactly that works, but he said it did. I'll be checking posts for Mule, thanks for the info!

Good stuff! Are you sure you mean Amps, not Volts?

Perhaps we can get a better answer from Mule, but as I understand it, you want approximately the same load on both legs because its alternating current. Your meter ticks as it alternates. If you load up one leg, then it has to do more work in half the time. Where as if each time the current alternates it does work, then the bill is reduced. I rearranged the loads on my last box and I'm pretty sure that dropped the bill significantly.

:peace::rollit:

Mule - I'm probably too late, but hopefully I can save you some typing.

Let's first explore the 220 at the Sub. I'm fairly convinced that should solve my issues.

I will try to find the right page in Aberration's Journal, but I think we should try to copy lots of his electrical.

:thanks::peace:

Edit:

This is Aberration's. If we can end up with something like this I think it'll be perfect!:

SS852934.JPG

Snap a pic put it in your journal and PM me a link I will tell ya what you got going on bro!

Mule - I'm probably too late, but hopefully I can save you some typing.

Let's first explore the 220 at the Sub. I'm fairly convinced that should solve my issues.

I will try to find the right page in Aberration's Journal, but I think we should try to copy lots of his electrical.

Edit:

If we can end up withsomething like this I think it'll be perfect!:

SS852934.JPG

Well bro then this will be a walk in the park... You want it just like that or with out that high priced grey box in the middle? You want it mounted on the wall or mobile? How many outlets? Think about timer spacing as you wrap your mind around it if we don't use the grey box... :peace: Edit: Never mind I bet thats the only timer we can use for 220 Edit: Oh so it's a water heater timer cheap and cleaver I'm digging this Papa! :yahoo:

Papa if the sparky stuff starts to overwhelm your "Utopian Sub" you just let me know OK bro? I plan on helping you all the way on this, with pics if that's OK?
Then after I will copy this over to a sparky thread so we can help others... :peace::thanks:

Good stuff! Are you sure you mean Amps, not Volts?

Perhaps we can get a better answer from Mule, but as I understand it, you want approximately the same load on both legs because its alternating current. Your meter ticks as it alternates. If you load up one leg, then it has to do more work in half the time. Where as if each time the current alternates it does work, then the bill is reduced. I rearranged the loads on my last box and I'm pretty sure that dropped the bill significantly.

Yes this is true to a certain extent, If you have 2 big loads that run all the time by all means put them on different legs in the panel... Some loads come on and go off so amperage in those legs changes...

OK - good news for the afternoon, and along a semi-electrical bent!

I bought a hard-start capacitor for $22.50. Air conditioner works like a champ! :yahoo::slide:It's the black thing at top right.

ac_hard_start.jpg

:welldone::goodjob::thumb::bravo:
:thanks:

Modest ain't I?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Temp in the room at 5:00pm with full sun on the roof dropped from 83.5 to 81.0 and falling in minutes.

I did some rearranging to keep it at that for the last few days while the one was not working. I like the changes - they're actually changes BACK to the way I used to have it.

I also installed the Utility Sink and I'll get pics when the lights come on. Fucking so thrilled with that as well. :yahoo: Now I don't need to go outside for anything! And the A/C and Dehumidifier lines drain into it, so no more dumping their reservoirs! Last thing to clear from the plate right now is the new res for the Utopia Haze, then I'll be caught up! And can focus on the electric. ;)

Speaking of the electric - how's this sound for some initial thoughts...

Basically I think a 30A 220 run about 18' from the Sub Panel up to the middle of the ceiling above. All the ballasts can go towards the middle and cords can reach that point. In the middle of the ceiling - one bank of 4-6x 220v on one timer and 2x 220v on another timer (Flower and Veg). There should also be 2-4x 120v at the same location.

Could be done with relay(s) or large timer(s). Whichever is cheaper and/or you think is better.

:thanks::rollit:

Hehe. I was going to offer my amateur advice, but I see mule has it in hand and defer to his expertise. You know, the one thing I now realize I did badly on that wall panel was that all 4 120V outlets come off of one leg. I never heard about balancing them until just recently myself. Makes me want to rewire my main panel again to balance the likely loads. I just got done rewiring 3/4 of it a month ago. :rolleyes: At least it passed inspection.

Your plants look good as always.

:peace:

Hehe. I was going to offer my amateur advice, but I see mule has it in hand and defer to his expertise. You know, the one thing I now realize I did badly on that wall panel was that all 4 120V outlets come off of one leg. I never heard about balancing them until just recently myself. Makes me want to rewire my main panel again to balance the likely loads. I just got done rewiring 3/4 of it a month ago. :rolleyes: At least it passed inspection.

Hell of a nice job man! And the cool thing is all those parts are off the shelf at any home improvement store... And of course it passed you look like you know what your doing! :peace::goodjob:

Basically I think a 30A 220 run about 18' from the Sub Panel up to the middle of the ceiling above. All the ballasts can go towards the middle and cords can reach that point. In the middle of the ceiling - one bank of 4-6x 220v on one timer and 2x 220v on another timer (Flower and Veg). There should also be 2-4x 120v at the same location.

Could be done with relay(s) or large timer(s). Whichever is cheaper and/or you think is better.

Sounds great we can do that!

As for the relays or timers I'm going to my mentors house to pick up 4 panels so I can take the apart color code them so I have some "dead teaching aids" in my sparky thread... I will ask him what he thinks. However I don't want to use products that would make it hard to find them if something failed timer,relay wise... :peace:

Papa changing out that capacitor reminds me how many of these we have in our grow rooms in lights and ac units...

Let's talk about stored energy and safety.
all capacitors have stored energy, they have a positive and negative side just like a battery. The labels or markings may not say + - but the are!

The purpose of a capacitor is to discharge 1000s of amp's of voltage into something like a AC unit motor to get the motor spinning, or a mag light ballast to get that plasma arc going to light the bulb...

With that said, it is the amp's that will kill you not the voltage in electricity. I could touch one leg of 66,000 volt's if it had one amp for a "draw" (better be wearing god like shoes) however a 120 volt circuit pulling the full 30 amp's is scary thing! It has the ability to "draw you in" It makes every muscle in your body freeze you cannot move! The bigger voltage it just bites ya and might toss you off a ladder or across a room...

So never ever touch any bare wire or connection on a capacitor. Some are metal and your holding the ground!

Now some people are thinking ah hell I did that and lived... You got lucky when you unhooked it, you discharged it, or it was truly dead.
It won't draw you in because it discharges in a split second with a ton of amp's...

Papa I'm on it bro! I will get back with you about the timer, relay thing :peace: Keep it green Papa!

Yeah man! Any insight you wanna offer will be greatly appreciated! As mule said we can use this thread to make a little DIY tutorial he can put up.

Sounds great we can do that!

As for the relays or timers I'm going to my mentors house to pick up 4 panels so I can take the apart color code them so I have some "dead teaching aids" in my sparky thread... I will ask him what he thinks. However I don't want to use products that would make it hard to find them if something failed timer,relay wise... :peace:

Papa changing out that capacitor reminds me how many of these we have in our grow rooms in lights and ac units...

Let's talk about stored energy and safety.
all capacitors have stored energy, they have a positive and negative side just like a battery. The labels or markings may not say + - but the are!

The purpose of a capacitor is to discharge 1000s of amp's of voltage into something like a AC unit motor to get the motor spinning, or a mag light ballast to get that plasma arc going to light the bulb...

With that said, it is the amp's that will kill you not the voltage in electricity. I could touch one leg of 66,000 volt's if it had one amp for a "draw" (better be wearing god like shoes) however a 120 volt circuit pulling the full 30 amp's is scary thing! It has the ability to "draw you in" It makes every muscle in your body freeze you cannot move! The bigger voltage it just bites ya and might toss you off a ladder or across a room...

So never ever touch any bare wire or connection on a capacitor. Some are metal and your holding the ground!

Now some people are thinking ah hell I did that and lived... You got lucky when you unhooked it, you discharged it, or it was truly dead.
It won't draw you in because it discharges in a split second with a ton of amp's...

Papa I'm on it bro! I will get back with you about the timer, relay thing :peace: Keep it green Papa!

Yeah, capacitors scare me sometimes. I tried to return one and the guy at the store kept touching 2 out of 3 of the terminals and I guess he knew what he was doing or the cap had indeed been discharged. But I did tell him I had had it plugged in.

Funny story about capacitors. They come in all different sizes of course. My uncle used to run an automotive shop. When I was visiting one time, he showed me a little capacitor from a car. Then he told me to sit in a chair and watch it. He put it on the counter. Sure enough, about 2 minutes later a guy was standing at the counter paying and couldn't resist picking it up. When he touched the contacts it made a POP and zapped him with what felt like about a 9 volt battery. He screamed like a little girl and jumped through the roof!

:rofl:

Thanks much for getting the teaching aids and doing the research for me! That's really helpful, cause you'll know exactly what you're asking. I can fake it at best until I've done one.

----------

Mini Update - all is very good in the Sub. Temps are solidly under control again and life is good. I got the 50G res in play. Getting both in play will be a smidge trickier than anticipated, but doable I think. More on that later.

Had a 600MH conv bulb burn out, and no $ for replacement so I'll be rigging the CFLs today. Naptime right now. Was a long twenty hours of work yesterday. Then 4 hrs sleep. Then up to check timer and do some other things in yard, now back to sleep for a little bit. Laters.

I'm glad to hear all is well in the sub again my friend. Sorry about the light buring out. I don't mess with electricty it like to shock me, but when my older kuz comes back up I'll have him do it for me.. Me and power just dont get along, extenion cords and power strips work for me at this present time. Well I only running 2 fans, 9 cfl bulbs and a 40 watt shop light...

Oh btw your ladies are looking very nice and that AK, I have to try to get my hands on that one of these days. I haven't smoked that yet.

Back
Top Bottom