Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

hmm, i'm confused about the question butch

i have the mom that i took the wheel clones from. and clones given to me from my friend. they are all from the same plant somewhere, but all i know is that it is clone strain only, and they are all from the same place. the mom was just a clone from his last batch.

my wheel clones do not show the weird growth patterns, niether does the mom, so it must be something environmental.

i would guess any HS clone would display the same growth patterns given a similar life from clone.

lol, clueless about what SS, this is all pretty simple stuff.

or did you mean the weird growth? yeah thats got me stumped too.

No, not the weird growth thing, although I think that's pretty cool.

I mean about how the wheel works as far as nutes, how plants respond and grow in that environment, how they are retained in the wheel, etc, etc.

You don't need to spend energy explaining all that. I'm gonna research it.

thanks bro!

Hi Everybody,

Just to let you know, my most recent HS clones are exhibiting similar mutant characteristics, but they're starting to grow normally again. I have no idea what the hell caused it, as HS is indeed a clone-only strain and it's never happened before. I'm not too worried, though. Holy Shit never fails to impress!

Nice work, WOF

No, not the weird growth thing, although I think that's pretty cool.

I mean about how the wheel works as far as nutes, how plants respond and grow in that environment, how they are retained in the wheel, etc, etc.

You don't need to spend energy explaining all that. I'm gonna research it.

thanks bro!

research is good bro, but i'll tell you this, if you want advertisement, search the web, you wanna know about rotational growing, there's only one place that has at least 3 active MJ growers posting and answering questions.

thats here baby.

i dont mind answering questions, or pm's if you have any fire away.

research is good bro, but i'll tell you this, if you want advertisement, search the web, you wanna know about rotational growing, there's only one place that has at least 3 active MJ growers posting and answering questions.

thats here baby.

i dont mind answering questions, or pm's if you have any fire away.

Ok, thanks bro!

How does rotational growing affect growth pattern?

Do you *have* to choose shorter strains or could you grow sativas in there somehow with LST, topping, Bushmaster, etc.

How does nute delivery work?

What are your options for providing a base and securing the plants to the wheel?

What's the rotational speed, can you change it, and if you can, what would be the effect of faster and slower rpm?

Sorry if you've covered some of this stuff already in your journals.

Ok, thanks bro!

How does rotational growing affect growth pattern?

Do you *have* to choose shorter strains or could you grow sativas in there somehow with LST, topping, Bushmaster, etc.

How does nute delivery work?

What are your options for providing a base and securing the plants to the wheel?

What's the rotational speed, can you change it, and if you can, what would be the effect of faster and slower rpm?

Sorry if you've covered some of this stuff already in your journals.

np bro. easy questions.

1) i know what the rotation supposedly does to the auxins and all that technical jazz. so far i have not seen any of the claims come true, it has not made the plants any shorter, any bushier, it has not shortened the finishing time at all.

the only noticeable difference that i have seen in the growth pattern in the wheel has been the tendancies for the plant to invert its fan leaves. i think it doesn't know which way is up, so the orientation of the leaves can get twisted.

gravity only plays part of the role in the direction a plant grows, the other is light. i think these guys will still try to go towards the light regardless of the confusing spin, so it's kind of self correcting.

2) pretty much any indica or indica blend should be fine with a short or no veg time. topping could work but would severely cut down yield, esp on a sativa. never used bushmaster, but have heard good things for years now. maybe will give it a try someday.

as far as lst'ing to the outside, stay tuned and we'll figure this out together.

3)nutes are like any standard hydro setup. i have a res, i fill it with RO water. then I add base nutes (for grow right now i am using cns17) then supplementals like carbohydrates, cal-mag (micronutes), bloom enhancers, etc. whatever that week calls for.

the resevoir is hooked up to a flood tray where i can set the height of how much the table will fill to. i set it to just break the plane of the bottom of the rockwool holders before i put the rockwool in to insure proper distribution.

right now, i have the powerhead (pump) set to flood the table for 45 minutes every other day. 45 minutes is the time it takes for a full rotation of the wheel, so every cube gets a chance to be dipped into the solution just once on its rotation. this means the bttom 1/4 is submerged for about 5 minutes. rockwool has a strong wicking effect, so it will saturate it self about half way up, but as it rotates upside down, it should distribute the nutes evenly.

i change my res every week. plus i flush for one rotation with hygrozyme and clearex between each change to flush the medium and clean the res.

4) unless i manufacture something myself, i have one option. a green cube that allows a 3" RW cube slid into it, then it in turn slides into a channel built to accept 5 of these cubes. 16 channels = 80 plants max.

i did modify these cubes for my current grow to allow for bigger plants by utilizing a bigger rooting space. i drilled out the sides of the holders to allow the roots to grow out of the sides. by placing them close, and not letting alot of light get in, i think the roots will just expend between the gap. also i doubled up and put 2 cubes in each holder, so i'm breaking the omega mold with this one.

5) like i just said, its geared down to about 1 rotation over 45 minutes, so .75rph. lol, slow. i have no control over the rotational speed, the good people at omega think that they have found the "magic" rotation speed that is the best for all plants. lol. DOH!

sometime in the future, i am going to either gear it down more again or get sa controller to control the speed of the motor, because (personally) i think weed in specific might benefit from a slower turn speed. the omega guy says a tomato plant will turn up under gravity in 15 minutes. . . well i have personal experience that one strain of weed will turn up in 15 minutes while others may take hours. i think you could tweak it for each strain if you had control.

speeding it up a bunch also poses some interesting questions. gravity will play much less of a role in regulating plant hormones and growth, and centripetal force will take over. . . if the plants could survive it, you could set the speed of rotation to give like 1.5x gravity or 2x, and who knows what would happen.

at this point, i haven't fooled with it yet, so i can't speak from experience.

would be a cool experiment though. maybe they would be twice as dense! lol.

if you stay tuned, you will be on the cutting edge. lol. knew knowledge being gained, cataloged, and reviewed by the world.

keep learning SS. information is always changing. ;)

no prob ss, anything for you bro.

PA, welcome, and thanks.

Yeah i loaded it full once on my first run, but i had other problems that kept my yield way down.

this one **should** be way more productive, even with only 8 plants in there.

thanx for answering the question.And yeah you answered it perfectly. So your just going to rubn the 8 or as you get more fill more,I'm cunfused on that one.But either way even if you stick to just 8 you can do a WOF scrog.That would be (((crazy))). * plants 1 wheel and 1 WOF..Sounds like a plot for a movie..LOL

Other then the rambling..all looks great. SO how do you like running dirty next to hydro.Lotta work yeah.?

thanx for answering the question.And yeah you answered it perfectly. So your just going to rubn the 8 or as you get more fill more,I'm cunfused on that one.But either way even if you stick to just 8 you can do a WOF scrog.That would be (((crazy))). * plants 1 wheel and 1 WOF..Sounds like a plot for a movie..LOL

Other then the rambling..all looks great. SO how do you like running dirty next to hydro.Lotta work yeah.?

np butch, you the man.

i am just going to run the 8. period. going to be a considerable veg time. 3-4 weeks maybe, but it will be my decision as i see how quickly it fills in.

actually, going the supersoil route is so friggen easy i cant believe it. just feed straight RO (maybe a drop of superthrive or a tiny bit of cal-mag if i feel like it). I have been foliar feeding a bit too with some nutes. but naw, its not a problem at all, in fact, its been tons of fun and the little bit of extra work keeps me from over messing with other shit just cause im bored. actually mixing up the supersoil, and packing it was the only pain in the ass, but even that wasn't bad, and that one day will save me all sorts of time, money, planning, mixing, you get the idea. but i guess the real test will be in the finish. because its organic, im sure it will "finish" very smooth and tasty, but i mean size and yield. . . how will it do?

im still thinking about them though. the main topic on my mind is LST vs. ScrOG. these bags are not very lst friendly., however its nice to be able to move them around, rotate them so they get good penetration. i wish i could rig up some diy light mover.

an irrelevant note:

i am getting impatient for my wheel clones to start filling this shit out. i can't notice any difference in size, but i look at them multiple times a day so i guess i have to take pics and try to compare. i'm missing my other lens bad right now because things are in there much tighter this time.

good thing is that i can see roots coming out of where i drilled those holes already, so i am going to add the extra cubes to make it 6x soon. i still have to drill those, so maybe not tonight. but this is very encouraging.

sounds greatman can't wait for the day you work out all the kinks and post a full board ship. what can it hold? do yo like the ease of use

it can hold 80 plants. . . more like branches.

in my sig, you can see me run a full boat to completion, but the yield is not impressive by any means.

there are two other wheelers on this site

the first: Maxximus, who posts infrequently but is around:

Omega Garden's Volksgarden Rotary Garden

and third: CanbisMxmus:

Volks Grow

they both use 1000w (i use 600) and both have impressed me with their wheels! canbismxmus is now running two wheels, for twice the fun. if you want to see a huge yield, take a peak if you haven't already.

i usually find my fun in trying new things, going new places, and attempting the revolutionary. . . this journal was supposed to be my big run, but alas it has again digressed into an experiment of interest for kindred spirits. . . and who knows, it could turn into a very viable option for wheelers who want big yields with low plant count.

well, i am fine with the growth on the clones that my friend gave me, but he is nervous about the weird growth patterns. since he clones from generation to generation without keeping permanent moms, he has no security if he loses the strain, its lost. he can not get more.

so he asked if he could clone from the big mom i have in dirt. while, i don't like the idea, it will put it on schedule with the other little girls, and seeing he gave them to me in the first place, i agreed.

so i will be taking a few clones from her, tonight i think.

here are some pics of her pre-clone.

front:

9-23-Pre-Clone-1.JPG

and here is the back, you can see i was slacking on the rotation and she is leaning toward the light.

9-23-Pre-Clone-2.JPG

a couple side shots that show the one lst branch:

9-23-Pre-Clone-3.JPG

9-23-Pre-Clone-4.JPG

here is a close up of how the lst branch turned up against gravity. it took about 2 days to turn up this much, HS turns a bit slower than others i have grwn.

9-23-Pre-Clone-5.JPG

9-23-Pre-Clone-6.JPG

Back
Top Bottom