Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Retired One

420 Member
Those who watched my last journal know that I grew two of these plants. I've decided to come back to them for several reasons.

1-I got two very distinct phenos. One as advertised...a super indica. The other a sativa dominant. There is sativa on both parental sides (Skunk#1xMazar), but the split is low so I was rather surprised to have one go rogue on me.

2-Both phenos were outstanding. A very unusual situation there. Usually there is a "weaker" pheno, but in this case I would have been completely satisfied with keeping either one as a mother plant. I rated the indica a half point higher than the sativa, but as the buds have begun to truly cure the sativa has caught up with the indica.

3-Yield was above average and could have been much better if I hadn't tried to overfill my grow space with a couple of White Widows (one of which died). I also had an autoflower RoadRunner in there but it was gone before it got crowded. Lesson learned. This time I'm just growing two plants in the same space.

I'm growing completely organic. Soil will be FFOF with 25% more perlite added. The nute program is almost entirely guano/casting teas, I had to add TechnaFlora's seaweed extract and unsulphured molasses to get the trace elements and minerals that all plants need to thrive. In the event of a nute program meltdown, I have one bottle each of TechnaFlora's Pura Vida Grow/Bloom that I was very impressed with last grow. Good stuff and it doesn't reek. I wouldn't use it as cologne, you understand, but it leaves no detectable odor when used in soil or hydro setups, a major plus for those of us who wish to avoid chemicals or synthetic hormones and the like.

My goals for this grow are quite simple. Dialing in the proper tea feed program and yielding 4+ ounces per plant. I may LST/FIM these plants. The structure of both plants in the last grow would have lent themselves well to LST and with the cola potential for a FIM'd plant, I may not be able to resist the temptation to try and grow a couple monsters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1

Seeds were soaked for 24 hours despite the fact both seeds sank within 8 hours. Both seeds were germed in paper towels and cracked in less than 24 hours.

They were both planted in my starter soil Monday morning. Taproots were 1/2" long and very healthy looking. Yesterday they broke the soil and this morning they look like this.

100_16262.jpg

100_16274.jpg

So, we're off and rolling once again. I'll post my tea recipes and preperation methods as we come to their use.

Hope everyone who drops in enjoys what they see.

Re: SouthernWeed's Third...Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

I look forward to watching, ill be giving it a go with the Barney's in a few days.

good luck with the babies..

You'll love the finished product.

Hi:grinjoint:
I'm in for this one too. I like that you just simplified things. Should really work well for you. The grow is on. Glad to see you back in the mix.:peace:

Yeah, I figured if I cut down on the plant count, I'd get a much better per plant average...and the last grow both phenos of the Barney's produced well. Little more space for the plants and more watts/lumens per plant ought to improve things quite a bit.

SouthernWeed! This is a exciting grow for me and all. Containing organic, involving your guano/casting teas, seaweed extract and unsulphured molasses. Possible LST/FIM and/or maybe a couple monsters, target yield 4+ ounces per plant. Also including Lessons learned. A grow I would like to simulate in the future. Thanks for sharing. :nomo: :peace:

Hey Southern, glad to see you're back in action! I figured you'd gone hunting for a while.

Have you done anything more with the guano tea DWC?

OK, this is my seat, right here. Thanks for the beer....don't mind if I do.

I'm watchin' from start to finish.....

Welcome, Brother.

Hey Southern, glad to see you're back in action! I figured you'd gone hunting for a while.

Have you done anything more with the guano tea DWC?

Actually, I had to pass those plants and plans off with a very good friend while I tended to a family matter that tied me up for about three weeks. You'll have to take my word for it, but the plants are alive and doing well. They went to flower day before yesterday. There are certainly some issues to be worked out, but for a first attempt the reults look promising. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to share. I didn't have the time to handle all the plants needs, but I was involved...sort of a wierd supervisory role explains it best. I've got some good notes and data for the veg cycle that I'm getting organized now, so I can start to figure out what slight changes need to be made.

You'll love the finished product.

Yea I heard it smokes well,cant wait! If you have any tips on the strain im all ears...

Keep your PH around 6.4 if you can. They seemed to like a slightly lower PH than is the "normal". Once flower begins hit them with all the P you can. Be very careful if you're using chemicals or guano/casting teas, you don't want to burn down your grow, but they just gobble up P. They finish quickly...even the sativa pheno. Made some gumby hash from the trim from the sativa dominant and was quite pleased, so if concentrates are your thing then this plant will get the job done for you as well.

If you start a journal, shoot me a link, I'd like to follow along.

Day 2

Had a ventilation issue yesterday that I wasn't aware of for about 5 hours. The resulting room temp spike severely stressed the seedlings. I believe that they will recover, but as a precaution I have soaked 2 more seeds and put them in paper towels. Worst case is I lost 3 days. Going to watch the seedlings today and if they are still kicking at the end of the light cycle then I'm reasonably sure we'll be fine and a friend will get a couple Barney's seedlings to grow.

Y'all have a great day.

Keep your PH around 6.4 if you can. They seemed to like a slightly lower PH than is the "normal". Once flower begins hit them with all the P you can. Be very careful if you're using chemicals or guano/casting teas, you don't want to burn down your grow, but they just gobble up P. They finish quickly...even the sativa pheno. Made some gumby hash from the trim from the sativa dominant and was quite pleased, so if concentrates are your thing then this plant will get the job done for you as well.

If you start a journal, shoot me a link, I'd like to follow along.

I should mention Ill be using Hydro...

I should mention Ill be using Hydro...

I have not grown this particular strain in a hydro setup, but I'd be willing to bet that they will like the ph a bit low. Keep your eye on it for sure, but a PH around 5.4 is probably going to be the sweet spot for it. Good luck and keep me posted.

Day 3

Seedlings seem to be recovering nicely. Probably stunted them a bit, but I believe that they will be fine. I did go ahead and plant the 2 other seeds, but I think they won't be needed.

I'll get some pics up around the first of the week...not much to see right now.

I have not grown this particular strain in a hydro setup, but I'd be willing to bet that they will like the ph a bit low. Keep your eye on it for sure, but a PH around 5.4 is probably going to be the sweet spot for it. Good luck and keep me posted.

Day 3

Seedlings seem to be recovering nicely. Probably stunted them a bit, but I believe that they will be fine. I did go ahead and plant the 2 other seeds, but I think they won't be needed.

I'll get some pics up around the first of the week...not much to see right now.

Will do man and I appreciate the tips!! as this will be my first grow...

Day 5

Seedlings have recovered nicely. Both are showing new growth so we just lost a couple days due to heat stress. Guess my buddy gets a couple seedlings to play with.

Hope y'all are having a great weekend.

re: SouthernWeed's Third Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Day 6

Seedlings are back in gear. Lost a couple days growth to stress but all's well that ends well. Hopefully I'll be able to move these into veg in a week or so.

I've had several questions about my amended soil mix so I thought I'd list the ingredients and amounts for the veg cycle in case anyone wants to use it. Note: This mix is for plants that I know will take it. Try and use this mix on nute sensitive strains (blueberry, strawberry cough and the like) and you should just go ahead and germ some more seeds. This mix will fry them.

The following amounts are per gallon of FFOF soil:

1-1 tbls blood meal
2-1 tbls bone meal
3-2 tbls Mexican Bat Guano
4-2 tbls worm castings
5-2 heaping cups perlite
6-1 tsp dolomite lime

Be sure to take the time to properly and thoroughly mix the soil. A guano hotspot can really mess things up, especially early on when the plant is fragile and sensitive.

No guano tea feeds for the first 2-3 weeks of veg, there is more than enough nutrient value in the soil to cary them through that period of time with no problem whatsoever. I mix 1 tbls of unsulphured molasses and a pinch of seaweed extract into my water mix during this period.

As I move into a different stage of growth these amendments will change to reflect the needs of the plants. I'll post these mixes as we get to them.

And now for some pictures of the seedlings...

100_1644.jpg

100_1645.jpg

100_1646.jpg

That's about all for today.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Re: SouthernWeed's Third Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Day 7

All is well. I know it's bad gardening, you can't tell squat at this stage, but I'm giving even money that I've got split phenos again. Time will tell.

Seedlings finally are tall enough that I added a little 4" fan blowing on them 24/7. I'm going to move them to a 18/6 schedule and remove them from the greenhouse as soon as the smaller of the two adds another leaf set. Probably the end of the week.

Y'all have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom