1st Grow - 4 Strains - 2'x3' Closet - CFL Veg - Mars-Hydro Reflector Flower

Nutes are nutes bro. There not that much different in the grand scheme of things. Flush about 2X the size of your pot at the beginning of your 2 week flush then just feed them water or your normal watering schedule until its time to chop. Best to go off your trichomes though. And I wont even lie Im pretty lazy. I use 5 gallon smart pots and Ill just pour 5-7 gallons of water in em then like I said just feed em water last 2 weeks and they are just fine. Nice and tasty!!!

I'm still learning about this harvest window thing as well, and how to get the most out of a plant. I'm leaning more and more towards just harvesting a plant when it is 'ripe' to the eye. The same way I harvest any other fruit or vegetable. There is some interesting conversation about it on JoJo's journal starting about here- JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015 and continuing for another page or so. Also preceding the post I linked to, as JoJo tried to figure out when to harvest. It's a common mystery. And reality is we all start a lot more plants than we ever grow out to perfection. I feel like my knowledge is a bit lopsided - as a lot of plants suffer problems along the way. It's hard just getting to the end of harvest. So I get less chances to be able to learn the finer points of how to harvest a plant.

Honestly it depends how you want your meds. All it takes is a jewelry loop to check your trichs. If they are clear its not ready. Once they are all cloudy the plant is finished. That will give you the head high. Letting the plant go a few or two more will give you some amber trichs that will give you that body high as well. Happy growing!!!

Honestly it depends how you want your meds. All it takes is a jewelry loop to check your trichs. If they are clear its not ready. Once they are all cloudy the plant is finished. That will give you the head high. Letting the plant go a few or two more will give you some amber trichs that will give you that body high as well. Happy growing!!!

thanks for ur input atlien. ive got a 60x loupe, and u can see that i put pics of the triches on the previous page.
one of the plants is all cloudy, and about 20% amber.
the other one is wierd. its about 50% clear, 40% cloudy, and 10% amber.... so i guess it needs a little longer.

as far as what everyone is saying that amber gives the body high, it seems to be a bit controversial. as was mentioned also in a different post, it just doesnt make sense, that if someone who painstakingly picks out and grows a nice sativa strain, that is supposed to have a good clear headed high, that if he grows it to amber, that it will cause him to have a tired body high like an indica....
i think that the posts everyone is saying about growing clear, or amber to get an upper or downer high, maybe is more in cases where in any case ur dealing with an indica heavy strain?

i actually read a whole thread speaking about triches, that when u grow an indica heavy strain, to harvest with clear/cloudy tirches. and when u have a sativa strain, to let it go a little amber, that way the triches balance out the strain.

i havent personally actually done experiments, so what im saying doesnt hold any weight, but im just saying what it seems to me logically...

otherwise, why would anyone choose a specific strain? just get the fastest heaviest strain, and harvest at different times... it just doenst make sense.

any of the breeders that ispoke to, when i asked them for some advice with their strains as far as harvest, told me to harvest them at 75% amber. sayign that that is the time its most fulfilling its potential, and that the type of high will have to do with the starin, and to let the strain fulfill its potential and not harvest early.. i heard, that back in the day, coffee shops in amsterdam would not accept any bud that wasnt grown till 75% amber.
perhaps though, thats all a misunderstanding and lack of knowledge of the past, and has been scientifecally proven wrong already?

however, on the other hand, maybe the triche color harvest time, is for people that dont work hard in choosing the correct strain for their meds....

i donno its all confusing to me. this is one of the fields that i really wished for more clear info on. maybe ill try harvesting my buds at different points to get first hand experience. since theyre all sat dom strains that are supposed to be clear headed focused highs, maybe itll be a good experiment for others also.

So I've been noticing something really strange on the Hermie's Durban poison.

For about a week and a half now, she's been putting out a lot of new white hairs. Originally around a month ago, already all the hairs had turned orange/brown. What's up with these new bunches of white hairs coming out of the calyxes, at harvest time?
Is it one of those second harvest windows for sativa strains, or is it because of the hermying??? They're actually coming out kind of in groups from the calyxes. Like a group of 5 hairs closely bunched together from one calyx. Really weird

Can I harvest her anyways? (I needed to wait tjkk now to complete the two week flush, but I'm finally done with that, yay)
She's already a week or two overdue as it is. Ever since she Hermie's, a lot of the triches became smothered looking (under 60x loupe). Tge triches don't look like anymore like a lollipop. They look more like icicles, without circles on top. There are still a few real nice looking triches, but most of them have that smothered look. So I'm assuming that's part of showing its overripe....

That is called Foxtailing and I get it on my sativas all the time- usually later in flowering. It's not a problem and I wouldn't take it as a sign to Harvest as long as the plant doesn't show signs of reveging. Revegging also makes fox tails but the fox tails tend to be made out of small curly leaves instead of hairs. You can certainly flash and harvest whenever you like. Hard for me to give you any direct advice on that. What do the trichomes look like in terms of color?

Hard to say on the Hermie's Durban
The Trice's are really messed up and hard to study due to all the swollen calyxes full of baby seeds. The ones I can find just looknlike icicles, kinda gooey'sh. Definitely cloudy, not clear. Then theresnthe random partially clear triches. And the random deep solid amber triches. Like really solid amber. Almpstnlooks like an amber stone under the microscope.
I think the Hermie deal really messed up production.

I'm still learning about this harvest window thing as well, and how to get the most out of a plant. I'm leaning more and more towards just harvesting a plant when it is 'ripe' to the eye. The same way I harvest any other fruit or vegetable. There is some interesting conversation about it on JoJo's journal starting about here- JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015 and continuing for another page or so. Also preceding the post I linked to, as JoJo tried to figure out when to harvest. It's a common mystery. And reality is we all start a lot more plants than we ever grow out to perfection. I feel like my knowledge is a bit lopsided - as a lot of plants suffer problems along the way. It's hard just getting to the end of harvest. So I get less chances to be able to learn the finer points of how to harvest a plant.

hey man, i just found two really important threads that changed my view on this whole thing.
heres the links: (if theres something wrong linking to another forum here, than ill try to sum it up in my own words if the links are removed...)

bascially on one leg, theyre stating that the whole myth of triches going amber is overripe, and causes tiredness, is only if all the triches go amber, and are let to stay amber for several several weeks.
and that harvesting anything before 75%amber is just buds that havent reached their full potential
that if someone wants an up cerebral high, to grow out a sativa till its RIPE (75%amber/25cloudy)
and if someone wants a couchlock strain, to grow out an indica till its RIPE (75% amber/25cloudy).
and that when people try making indicias into sativa highs etc, thats when they need to harvest early, in which case they still lose out on alot of potential of the genetics.

theres hundreds of different strains availalbe, with different charachteristics. before i bought my seeds, i spent hours reading about each different strain, and used the filters on search engines, to pick the exact ones i want.
so each person should correctly hand pick the strain with the effects they want, and then grow out to full potential (75% amber), in order to correctly maximize the effect of their strain.

thats a sum up of those articles. again this is without any personal experience yet, just quoting what i read. but it all makes sense to me...

which reminds me of something else i wanted to share with you weaselcracker. you told me once that ur sativas dont go amber. somehwere i read a thread that mentioned that some sativa strains, have in their genetics a different climate, which wasnt 12/12. so they ahve toruble going amber. and that if you try going 13/11 (dark/light), or 14/10 that it may help bring on the amber triches in some sativa strains. if you try it, lemme know how it goes.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, i just read a little more in those thread,
than u have guys like this replying (debunking the idea of harvesting till 75%
QUOTE "
YOU DO NOT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL MOSTLY AMBER! THIS IS RIDICULOUS AMATEUR TALK.

You never want to wait until fully amber, or even half. THC IS 90% DEGRADED at the very beginning of the amber stage. The PEAK of THC is BEFORE fully cloudy trichomes, fully cloudy trichs are past peak THC. Don't you know this? Amazing, this is growing 101 stuff here. You are proof positive the number of posts a user has here has no relation to intelligence. Not only do MOST medical growers harvest BEFORE amber, but HighTimes and other marijuana growing publications have had numerous "experts" come out and say "less amber is better". No matter if you want the head or body high, it's about PEAK THC. So in the reality of growers who KNOW how to grow, the BEST TIME, or the actual "mature" time is BEFORE ambers set in.

Everything YOU say is opinion, facts are in books. You may be a Veteran Smoker, but Veteran grower you are not. If I'm not banned here I'll GLADLY put up ANY of my grow journals against ANY of yours. You should of listened to Brick Top, he is much more informed then you will ever be. Maybe you have changed since 2009. Come reply back if you dare, I'll school you 1-2-3. "

Ha ha. Well- posts like that are why I'm on 420 and not some other forum.
Interesting- this same conversation of when to harvest is going on all over 420 and I'm hearing a couple different viewpoints- but have heard a few people say just that- that a plant doesn't reach it's full potential till it has totally stopped growing, at which point it is often amber.
I have heard people say that some of their plants will not go amber. Apparently the type of soil they grow in can be a big factor as well in whether they go amber or not. If you like I can try to post you some links to some of these conversations I'm talking about.

I don't think I told you that my sativas don't go amber. More that I get tired of waiting for them before that happens. Or, all too often, something else happens like a bit of mold comes along or the plant starts producing nanners and seeds and I decide to harvest.

Yes I know about the light cycle thing you mentioned. The 100% Thai sativa I'm growing hasn't been having problems flowering under 12/12 and seems to keep steaming right ahead for most of flowering. Right at finishing time though it does seem to get a bit stuck. A couple grow rounds ago I did start dropping the light period by 15 minute intervals to finish it, however, I had a mold outbreak before I could really get too far with it. One problem I have with reducing light below 12 hours is that I have several different strains growing in the flowering room, which don't need the light reduction, and reducing the light is a real yield killer, or so I've been told by people who did it. So the less it's reduced the better for yield.

I used to live in Thailand and in the very South it only varies in day length by about 45 minutes throughout the year - from about 11 hours and 45 minutes, up to 12 and a half hours mid summer. In the north it varies from 11 hours daylight mid winter to 13 and a half mid summer.

If you don't mind the pic, here is one of my Thai, currently the only one I have in flowering, showing the foxtailing I mentioned. This plant started flowering on June 1- so it's been about 11 (12?) weeks and I expect it will be minimum another month before it's ready. It's just approaching the stage where the buds start to gain a lot of size. The curled leaves are, I think, from salts buildup. Did a major flush tonight.

image31059.jpg

yeah its a strange thing this whole harvest dissagreemnts.
one guy said he let a sativa grow out till all amber, and then a few extra weeks, and there was no body high, another guy said he tried that and it was like an indica.
i guess ill need to try myself. but im also worrying about all those little amber guys popping up. at the same time, i dont wanna miss the potential of my plant. its a hard decision, especially seeing such heated arguments both ways.

if u find anyone stating theyve grown sativas till 75% amber, and it doesnt make it heavy confused type of high, let me know. i would like to check out a thread like that. the problem is that the folks stating that thc production is maxed out when cloudy, and ambers are already losing their potency, say it as a scientific fact that was proven recently, which is why people back in the day didnt know about it. and then uve got people answering that saying that the statement about amber is true, but only that it actually is reffering to, if u let the triches go completely 100% amber, and then wait several weeks extra. and that theres no actual decline in quality if u let them go to 75% amber, not just that, but it actually fills the potential.

really wierd.
keep me posted on ur findings.
great pics of that thai. i recenty bought some thai stick weed (red string). looks really nasty, smells like sweet hash, but the effect is awesome. so awakening, and light, no comedown.
i think ill try planting one of their seeds sometime, and see how it goes. the durban P high is supposed to be similiar to thai though, and flowering time is 8-9 weeks....

btw something new came up. i just chopped my hermied DP (left one big bud for seeds production). so it all looked great, but on two of the buds, which were directly in front of a circulation fan, i noticed they looked darker on the side facing the fan. i looked closer and noticed that theyre covered in this dark grey powder (only on the exact side facing the fan). i looked with a 60x mag, and it looks like dust. is it possible that the dust in the air which gets sucked through the fan, stuck to all the sticky parts of the plant, which explains why its only exactly on the side that faces the fan.
its hard for me to believe its mold, as for the past two months, temps have not dropped below 70F, and humidity has not really gone past 55%. in general the humidity is in the 30s. sometimes 40s. just these past few days 50s. so it doesnt seem likely to me that its mold.
just wanted to check if anything like this ever happened to anyone here?
(theres a bunch of dust visible on the fan, and its a duct vent fan that i had lying around which i used for circulation, so i think they have a tendency to pick up more dust than regular fans)

I'm not sure about the dust. Sounds like it's probably what you think it is - dust. Mold would rot the bud underneath it very quickly. You may be able to wash it off if it's not completely embedded in the trichomes. Have you checked out bud washing? Here is the link- Bud Washing
I've done it a few times now and it's hard to go back to not washing it after you try it once.

On SweetSues journal there has been quite a lot of talk of amber trichomes lately. In this post but also in preceding pages if you skip through all the other business in the journal. May be some growers in there you could track down to ask questions of. I still think it will end up being more effective to just try it ourselves and see firsthand.

The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

thnks weaselc for those two links.
im checking into both of them.
i think im gonna try that bud washing. even though i only used organics, and havnt sprayed anythign on them since flowering, and even before flowering all i sprayed was organic, but still, i think ill give it a shot.
i also heard that it helps flush out any extra nutes that didnt get flushed. also, if it makes the smoke less harsh, and the smell more pure, thats a big plus.

well heres photos from today. week 10 of flower.
(btw i cut the dp two days ago. she came out about 85 grams wet. so im hoping for around 20'sh G dried....)
dyou guys think these look fully ripe and ready for chop?
the medi haze is a little more ready than the maui waui.

PICS OF MEDI HAZE
16825.JPG
16723.JPG
16521.JPG
16424.JPG
16289.JPG
143100.JPG
137100.JPG

PICS OF MAUI WAUI
140100.JPG
151103.JPG
153100.JPG
15828.JPG
171104.JPG
17720.JPG

MIXED PICS OF BOTH
18422.JPG
18254.JPG
144100.JPG
138100.JPG

well heres photos from today. week 10 of flower.
(btw i cut the dp two days ago. she came out about 85 grams wet. so im hoping for around 20'sh G dried....)
dyou guys think these look fully ripe and ready for chop?
the medi haze is a little more ready than the maui waui.

PICS OF MEDI HAZE
16825.JPG
16723.JPG
16521.JPG
16424.JPG
16289.JPG
143100.JPG
137100.JPG

PICS OF MAUI WAUI
140100.JPG
151103.JPG
153100.JPG
15828.JPG
171104.JPG
17720.JPG

MIXED PICS OF BOTH
18422.JPG
18254.JPG
144100.JPG
138100.JPG

Checking your buds out via your invitation......I'd wash and harvest those pronto. The plants don't look healthy enough to really make a huge difference, lots of trichomes....time to take 'em.

Definitely wash the harvest. You'll be so happy you did.

Checking your buds out via your invitation......I'd wash and harvest those pronto. The plants don't look healthy enough to really make a huge difference, lots of trichomes....time to take 'em.

Definitely wash the harvest. You'll be so happy you did.

hey there doc. thnks so much for takin the time to look and reply here. (i feel honored :Namaste:)
ill definately be going for the washing. i washed my first plant which harvest two days ago (durban poison), and immediately understood why its such a great thing to wash them.

the reason the plants look so terrible is because i havent fed them any nutes (biobizz organic nutes) for two weeks.
this was a really big mistake. as biobizz flushing instructions is to just not feed for the last week.

well we learn from our mistakes....
the triches on the maui waui, are still a mixture of cloudy and clear, with about 15% amber. theyre very difficult to understand, as theres like 70% cloudy, 30 clear. and alot of the clear ones are going amber at the tips without going cloudy. i dont want it to be a too crazy racey unbalanced high, so i was thinking on growing it out to try to get it al those clear triches to go cloudy as possible.
but ur saying u dont think theres a point in leaving them longer?

on another subjuect, im interested in hearing everyones opinions about time of day of harvesting, if its ok to chop at end of day, or middle of day? ive read some posts to harvest before lights go on in the morning, but its hard for me to believe that that actually makes a serious difference...

HJ- a lot of people chop after the dark period. I doubt if it makes much difference, myself.
Atlien- I don't know if this question was meant for me- but my experience has been-
The buds looked fine before I washed them. I was just doing it as an experiment. But the grime attached to the buds is a sort of intangible thing. Like when you wash anything else- clothes, car, house windows. Let's say the big window in the front of your house 'doesn't really need washing' but you decide to do it anyway. The experience is always a good one and suddenly the window is brighter. The buds are like that. I find quite a lot of dust and hair and stuff in the water after. The buds look way brighter and just- CLEANER! The aroma is amazing. The smoke seems smoother.

Ditto to what wasel cr said. Even though its my first grow, just seeing the way the water changes color to dirtier, and the buds just feel so clean, it just makes sense. Also before I chopped I was examinh the Trice's with my 45x scope, looking at the jungle of triches, suddenly I saw the hairs and triches start moving, and then a gigantic monstrous bug came crawling towards me( actually the size of a speck barely seeable by naked eye). When I saw that, I decided I'm washing those buds no matter what ;)

HJ- a lot of people chop after the dark period. I doubt if it makes much difference, myself.
Atlien- I don't know if this question was meant for me- but my experience has been-
The buds looked fine before I washed them. I was just doing it as an experiment. But the grime attached to the buds is a sort of intangible thing. Like when you wash anything else- clothes, car, house windows. Let's say the big window in the front of your house 'doesn't really need washing' but you decide to do it anyway. The experience is always a good one and suddenly the window is brighter. The buds are like that. I find quite a lot of dust and hair and stuff in the water after. The buds look way brighter and just- CLEANER! The aroma is amazing. The smoke seems smoother.

Damn I may have to get over my fear of dippin my buds in water........Hell I supercrop!!! What could be/look any worse than that at 1st lmao!!!

Back
Top Bottom