DIY Stealth Cab, Hydro, LED & Multiple Strains in Small Space - Oh Boy!

UPDATE: Just checked in on the girls. Hempy Haze is looking REAL droopy. I just did a flush with straight 150ppm PH'd water. The runoff before the flush was at 560ppm. I'll check again in the morning and do another flush, if needed. Any other ideas on this?

Turrtle, thanks, but this is one of the big girls that should already have good roots, although, they'll still be in the rockwool cube and have not made it down to the res yet. Here's the plant I'm referring to from yesterday' and this morning's pic's where you can already see some droopiness getting worse:

Yesterday, she looked pretty good:

hempy12.jpg

This morning you could see her starting to droop:

2011-01-24_RH2_01.jpg

Now, tonight I checked and it had gotten much worse (didn't take any pics tonight). I've been reading on hempy's and a couple of things I'm finding:

1. It's pretty normal for plants to droop before lights off then perk up a little later after lights back on.

2. It appears that you can't really overwater hempys (even though the plant looks overwatered to me!) and too much water is better than too little.

That being said, they did come in 4"+ rockwool cubes which I know can hold some water. So, my gut tells me the rockwool is waterlogged but everything else is telling me to water more. Since I just watered again before lights out, and totally flushed the cube in the process, I think I'll wait a couple of days then water again with some higher nutes (I flushed at 150ppm). Hopefully, she'll perk up after lights on tomorrow and won't die on me before I figure out what's wrong and how to fix it!

Only thing I would do while trying to solve the nute lockout, and it sounds like you have diagnosed & are treating the problem correctly, is foliar feed & mist(plain non ph'ed RO water) alternately; this will help with the stress & lockout. The ppm reading you got before & after flush are your evidence you are on the right track. Happy Grows ~H~

Thanks H! Anything special I should be using in my foliar feed? Will a regular nute mix work?

On a seperate note, I think my buddy may have mixed up the two strains. I've been reading on the Afghan Kush & Royal Haze. It appears the haze is a sativa while the kush is an indica and if I look at the leaves on the two strains, it sure appears that what I've been calling the kush is really the sativa (or at least more sativa looking!). Any opinions on this?

Generally we use a foliar feed but your can make one out of your nutes. Use you grow nutes(nothing else) & mix no more then 150ppm to RO non ph'ed water. Then next day mist with plain RO non ph water. Need water to be nuteral so does not burn leaf. Misting in between re soluables the dried nutes left on the leaf so plant can use them up. Hope it helps. Oh ya you need to add a wetting agent to the Foliar feed; .5tsp plain dish soap to 1 quart nute water in fine mist sprayer. Unless you have SM-90 or Dutch Master Saturator but if you had Saturator you would have Liquid Light. Might want to look into those 2 they really are the absolutely best products of their kind on the market, but the witches brew I gave you will work fine. No wetting agent in Mist water, just don't need. Talk to ya soon my friend, ~H~

Thanks for the quick response! I've been misting with plain (non-PH) tap water, but it makes sense to use R/O or distilled just so I'm not getting salt deposits when I mist.

Also, looks like I may be PHing too low for hempy's:

Hempy bucket Ph?

Hey Mr K,

Just been reading on your journal and am interested in watching the grow.

I am not claiming to be an expert but can tell you I made every mistake possible to get to where I am now lol. I recall having rockwool inside hydroton. I had a hard time with the rockwool being water logged and the hydroton being bone dry. The plants looked a lot like that... I think you might be right in your thinking.

Thanks for the quick response! I've been misting with plain (non-PH) tap water, but it makes sense to use R/O or distilled just so I'm not getting salt deposits when I mist.

Also, looks like I may be PHing too low for hempy's:

Hempy bucket Ph?

I would buy that Hempy is between Hydro & Soil Ph. Try it for few days & see if they like it, you will know if ppm's start going down(feeding). I don't see how it would hurt them still in the range. No problem I check for you & W~ in the morning before I open the shop up, Talk to ya soon, ~H~

HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!

Checked the girls this morning and all looks fine except for that one plant whose drooping has gotten even worse. Someone with hempy experience please tell me what to do here!

2011-01-25_HELP_01.jpg

Temps are 75*-80*F, RH is 50%. It really looks like overwatering to me, I'm just not sure if that's correct with the hempy.

Please see my last few posts from yesterday for more info and pics from last two days.

Any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Clearex Salt Leaching Solution 1 Quart Hydroponics Nutrients & Additives

The #1 salt leaching solution in North America. A common cause of crop failure can be traced to the buildup of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media.
High salt concentrations in the soil solution cause a shrinkage of plant cell protoplasm away from the cell wall as a result of osmosis
This condition, known as plasmolysis, can eventually lead to irreversible wilting.
Botanicare Nutrients
Clearex Salt Leaching Solution 1 Quart

The #1 salt leaching solution in North America. A common cause of crop failure can be traced to the buildup of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media. High salt concentrations in the soil solution cause a shrinkage of plant cell protoplasm away from the cell wall as a result of osmosis. This condition, known as plasmolysis, can eventually lead to irreversible wilting.

Look under these topics- plasmolysis & irreversible wilting! Hope it helps, ~H~

isnt clearex a flushing agent?

Clearex

Clearex

A common cause of crop failure can be traced to the build up of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media. High salt concentrations in the soil solution cause a shrinkage of plant cell protoplasm away from the cell wall as a result of osmosis. This condition, known as plasmolysis, can eventually lead to irreversible wilting.

Clearex is a scientifically formulated isotonic drench solution, which effectively binds with the excess nutrient salt and safely leaches it from the soil. Leaching with tap or deionized water can lead to hyptonic conditions which cause cell lycis with outflow of essential electrolytes and nutrients. This causes tissue damage leading to serious pathogen disorders such as bacterial and fungal infections. Clearex is isotonic, therefore, it creates a safe osmotic environment which allows plant cells to maintain an optimal turgor pressure during treatment.

Clearex can also be used at the end of a crop's growth cycle to trigger the last reproductive stage of the plant, forcing it to process and assimilate endogenous nutrients. Clearex contains specific electrolytes and selected mono and disaccharides which provide energy for the biosynthesis of important plant metabolites and macromolecules. Pre harvest treatments with Clearex are known to enhance the flavor and increase yields in fruits, vegetables, and culinary herbs by flushing out extraneous chemical nutrients.

Clearex Salt Leaching Directions
Before applying Clearex, foliar spray plants with pure water. Use Clearex in the early morning or evenings.

Soil Containers and Gardens
Use 1/2 to one ounce (15 - 30 ml) of Clearex per gallon of water. Pour one to two quarts over plants every seven to twenty-one days. For container gardens, achieve a minimum 80 - 90% run-off. Water and fertilize as usual.

Hydroponic Systems
Use Clearex with every one to two reservoir changes. Use 1/2 to 1 ounce (15 - 30 ml) of Clearex per gallon of water. Pour one to two quarts of solution per plant site with minimum 80 - 90% run-off. Dump waste run-off and fertigate as usual or add Clearex to pure water in reservoir without nutrients. Run system. Use 1/2 to one ounce (15 - 30 ml) of Clearex per gallon of water. Check EC or PPM in reservoir. Run system for 15 - 60 minutes or until EC or PPM stops rising. Dump reservoir. Add desired nutrient dosage and water, then adjust pH. Fertigate as usual.

Pre-Harvest Treatment (Soil or Soilless)
Discontinue fertilizer regime 2 - 3 days before harvest. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 - 30 ml) of Clearex per gallon of water. Water as needed.

Botanicare Feed Chart - PDF format

I know what clearex is, Nuanet & I use all the time(every 2 res change). It looks like wilting & it would be from what your buddy did or didn't do to them before you got them K~. I Just think so due to the salts we saw built up on grow media & how they looked before you put into Hempy!! ~H~

H, I just ordered some cleared but will be at least a few days before it arrives. It does make sense to have some on-hand regardless of what the issue is at the moment. I agree that there looked to be a lot of salt build-up and what was pretty obvious nute burn. I'm just concerned that they didn't start dying until two days after I got 'em, and if anything, I've been flushing and monitoring PH, PPM's, etc. But, it sure seems like something in my environment is effecting them.

Back
Top Bottom