First LED Grow Ever

re: First LED Grow Ever

Yea its crazy the growth rate, do you think i will need to clean em up a little to let some light through as i go or should i just leave and let em ride? Top canopy is getting so thick lol - i guess im not complaining just not sure if its gonna get out of hand and cause low quality in the end. Thanks stealth

Hi robert.:ciao:

I usually clean up the entire bottom of the plant on day 21 of flower, I clear everything under the scrog net. In your case its gonna be more of a lollipop, cause your not really using a scrog net, but yes clean up around day 21 of flower.

Start at the bottom and work your way up and around the plant. Remove any small buds that aren't getting any light and all the leaves from the bottom of the plant. The small buds will never grow to be anything worth keeping, so it helps to remove them and all the leaves at the bottom of the plant. Lollipoping or defoliating your plant like this helps divert the plants energy the where its best used, on the top canopy.

You can also remove any large fan leaves with stems a couple of inches long or longer from the top of the plants to help let light down to the lower canopy. I usually do both these defoliations on day 21 of flower. Everything off the bottom but only the really large fan leaves that are blocking light to bud sites from the top canopy, don't go crazy.

The plant might need a couple of days to bounce back after being defoliated, but should be fine, and actually be better off for the clean up. The defol also helps the air circulation in the cabinets, and helps keep humidity lvls down.

Good luck buddy.;)

Here's a pic of the defoliation I do to the bottom of the plant to give you an idea.

IMG_005445.JPG

thank you stealth for your in depth assistance. Greatly appreciated. I have not had time to DIY a scrog net yet. I need to bad. Just can't figure out exactly what design I would like to use. Are you able to open the lid with the scrog in place. I really would like to be able to do that to inspect the roots every so often. I had the scrog net that came with the box but it SUCKS! Both of them unraveled and have no strength. The quality of some of the products given with the box are kinda cheesy.

I bought a picture frame the size I wanted for $5 at the cheapo store. Add screws and string and you got it. :)

Great Idea ! Thanks spimp! I should probly get started on that so I an even out my canopy.

Very impressive set up! I'm wondering what size are those cabinets (growing area)?

Hey brightlight thanks for checking my grow out and welcome :) boxes are 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide. I have enclosed both cabinets and created a void in the back of both boxes that is basically 72 inches by 72 inches by 15 inches. This is where I have a mini split air handler for environment control.

thank you stealth for your in depth assistance. Greatly appreciated. I have not had time to DIY a scrog net yet. I need to bad. Just can't figure out exactly what design I would like to use. Are you able to open the lid with the scrog in place. I really would like to be able to do that to inspect the roots every so often. I had the scrog net that came with the box but it SUCKS! Both of them unraveled and have no strength. The quality of some of the products given with the box are kinda cheesy.

Hi again Robert. Hope you had a good weekend.;)

The net that came with the closets sucks is right!! I use it as a secondary net to hold up any cola's that might be falling over. I made my own scrog out of schedule 40 PVC pipes. You can get the PVC at Lowes or Home Depot for about $30 or so, including all the 90 degree joints etc.. no glue required. Screw in some screws for anchors to run the string, and your set. Wood frame might get moldy etc in the humidity but the plastic PVC will last forever. Might need to run new string every few harvests.;)

I can get the lid open enough to fill the reservoir with my 5 gal jugs of water and I use an empty hole in the lid for the drain hose. You have to be a little careful sometimes but is definitely doable.

Looking good!

Your ppm is higher than mine!
If you plants can handle it I guess it doesn't matter much!
I stay under 800 ppm or I get burn on the leaves?
Must be strain related?

Hi Robert, how ya been, and how are your plants?...Update?

I just ordered some new seeds, and I picked up 5 Royal Jack Automatic seeds from royal queen seeds, Its an Auto Jack Herer strain. I'm gonna try what we were talking about, instead of just 1 or 2 plants in my closets I'm gonna pop 5 autos at once and see how they fill out the larger closet. Its gonna be about 3 months before I have the closet free for planting again, but its in the works.;)

I'm interested to see how full your closets are now that your a couple of weeks into flower with that many plants.

I also flipped the lights on the Critical plants I have going, today is day 1 of flower.:high-five:

Hope to see an update on your grow soon buddy, talk to ya later.

looking good. I ordered my cabinet today 72X36X24, an Advance Platinum DS200 LED with a supplemental LED grow bulb that I will put in a clamp on bulb holder to give light under the plant. I am making my own DWC/Top Drip hydro growing tank out of a cooler. Also I will be using Titanium White paint on inside as a reflective. Trying to get to 25 posts so I can start a build then grow journal.

Ok Everyone, Well the last 2 weeks have had no updates as i have still been 24/7 working around the clock getting this bad boy dialed in.......... I think were good to go now......... UNFORTUNATELY......... I lost some babies :( Which caused for more changes

1. Installed new split (#3) as i was having issues with the #2 one that was installed - Air temp is consistent now -YIPEEE

2. Installed a new chiller on the right reservoir. Even with water bottles this nute temp would hit 76 before i get home from work. NOT GOOD.

3. Since the cabinet is now holding water temp, humidity, and air temp stable for a week now - I bought my Co2 tank - In the process of dialing in the policies this week. This was just added yesterday.

Now for the bad parts..............................

Left cab - R.I.P Blackwater (luckly i cloned you first :) As i said nute temp in the right cabinet was getting out of hand - therefore i got my first intro to ROOT ROT and how much it is a PAIN IN THE ASS - and it STINKS!!!! I lost them.........
IMG_022136.JPG
IMG_022037.JPG

This pic is 2 days ago ready for a new Private Reserve clone i scored at the clinic this weekend (washed, bleached and rinsed of the treacherous root rot - Pics of the private reserve tomorrow :)
IMG_022436.JPG

lol hahaha and here we go for the left cabinet. MITES!!!!!
Yes thats correct yikes....... it is mites........ First pest problem........ but wait it gets better (and embarrassing) Its 11:30pm and i noticed small dots on the bottom of my leaves. I thought hmmmm wierd. After a quick google research i found i can use azamax, mighty wash etc etc........ but its 12 at night and i want them gone now cuz its my beautiful blue dream which is in 2 weeks of flower by the way....... so in looking for home remedies to get my by till the next day i found out oh i can use a small amount of dish soap in a spray bottle. Well ladies and gentleman I may be the only one stupid enough to try this (apparently not, since its on a million forums that people do) but THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING TO DO!!! As i found the hard way - next morning i opened the cabinet to make sure those little suckers were suffocated........... Oh it suffocated them all right.............. suffocated the shit out of my beautiful blue dream. Burnt and destroyed almost every leaf it touched........ I closed the door and almost went inside and cried........ This was 2 weeks ago........ since then I have trimmed everything off that was dying and left what was ok (good thing i was a little lazy that night and didnt get the whole plant) I almost scrapped these two but they are fighting to bounce back so i am gonna give them a shot. I will take pics of those this evening also - Sorry i have no pics of them before I gave them a buzz - Just couldn't even get myself to take a pic - I actually didn't even open the door for two days because i was so depressed...........

Well bad new done.....WHEW******* I am re-energized and excited again lol -

Tomorrow i will give a picture update on the blue dream and the new private reserve. I will keep pressing on now that i have fixed my issues :) Ahhhhhh always just love being a noob. Such an experience. Sorry for the delay on the updates guys - Between minor depression (seriously it sucked, i am sure some of you have been through it) and the changes to correct the issues its been a feat. But were back on board!!!! I just hope my mistakes may help a noob like me in the future :)

Hi Robert, how ya been, and how are your plants?...Update?

I just ordered some new seeds, and I picked up 5 Royal Jack Automatic seeds from royal queen seeds, Its an Auto Jack Herer strain. I'm gonna try what we were talking about, instead of just 1 or 2 plants in my closets I'm gonna pop 5 autos at once and see how they fill out the larger closet. Its gonna be about 3 months before I have the closet free for planting again, but its in the works.;)

I'm interested to see how full your closets are now that your a couple of weeks into flower with that many plants.

I also flipped the lights on the Critical plants I have going, today is day 1 of flower.:high-five:

Hope to see an update on your grow soon buddy, talk to ya later.

Awesome stealth! Cant wait for that SOG grow :) My blue dream has stretched up into the second magnet reflector about an inch now on the back, even with the crazy stunt job i pulled on it. Not sure how those all would have fit if they stayed perfectly healthy lol. I am only doing one plant for this new private reserve cabinet. 4 plants is very difficult to tender to as almost impossible to maintain the back two once the front two start taking off lol.

Of course i wasn't trimming for sog either - probably would make a world of a difference - show you pics tomorrow though of the blue dream nevertheless.

Looking good!

Your ppm is higher than mine!
If you plants can handle it I guess it doesn't matter much!
I stay under 800 ppm or I get burn on the leaves?
Must be strain related?

yes must be - Well see what the private reserve likes - been vegging for 3 days now - see my story above lol haha

It is important that you know when you have people who follow your Grow Journal you can post photographs and ask questions when problems arise. Insects on plants happens to everyone at some point but it is important that you have a reliable product that you can use when this does happen. I keep several safe to use insecticides on hand now so that if I do have insects on my plants I am able to react fast and avoid a lot of plant damage and time lost.

Can you please take some photographs of your plants?

Sierra Natural Sciences makes 2 products to kill spider mites and thrips and other insects SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control. I add 3-5 drops of Ivory Liquid Soap per gallon as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I would spray every 3 days for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

It is important that you know when you have people who follow your Grow Journal you can post photographs and ask questions when problems arise. Insects on plants happens to everyone at some point but it is important that you have a reliable product that you can use when this does happen. I keep several safe to use insecticides on hand now so that if I do have insects on my plants I am able to react fast and avoid a lot of plant damage and time lost.

Can you please take some photographs of your plants?

Sierra Natural Sciences makes 2 products to kill spider mites and thrips and other insects SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control. I add 3-5 drops of Ivory Liquid Soap per gallon as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I would spray every 3 days for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

Thanks Kingjohn, in retrospect, yea would have been wayyy better to wait 8 hours for someones response. It was like a fight or flight kinda moment lol. I am usually pretty together, but i just thought ahhh got to do something NOW lol....... Stupid me lol, I know i should be using my resources. Thanks for rubbing it in hahahahahah I will post pics right now. I took some last night :lot-o-toke::thanks::lot-o-toke::thanks::lot-o-toke:

Here are some updated pics. Blue Dream 3 weeks into flower. Private Reserve vegging for 3 days now.
07152014_data.jpg
IMG_023435.JPG
IMG_023835.JPG
IMG_023535.JPG
IMG_023636.JPG
IMG_023737.JPG
IMG_024442.JPG
IMG_024338.JPG
IMG_024634.JPG
IMG_024538.JPG
IMG_025936.JPG
IMG_025834.JPG
IMG_025733.JPG
IMG_023835.JPG
IMG_024237.JPG
IMG_024237.JPG
IMG_024130.JPG
IMG_024037.JPG

Private Reserve
IMG_024734.JPG
IMG_024839.JPG
IMG_024925.JPG
IMG_025336.JPG
IMG_025435.JPG
IMG_025531.JPG

Thanks for checking my log !! Enjoy your Tuesday!!

what a great job the chiller does........ really need one for the left res now :( - As you can see the water bottles work but not stable and the ice cold bottle against the roots cant be good either..........
Untitled152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom