Gavita 1000e Series - A Doc Bud Journal/Review

fwiw i emailed gavita last year vis a vis canopy distance and wattage settings.

to paraphrase what they suggested:

min 36" @ 1000w
min 43" @ 1150

they said that the 1150 setting is actually more efficient if the environment can support it, but maybe they're tryin to sell me bulbs haha

I got tall ceilings and tend to run the 1150 the first 6 weeks or so, i wonder if I'd get closer to docs plastic plants on the 850

fwiw i emailed gavita last year vis a vis canopy distance and wattage settings.

to paraphrase what they suggested:

min 36" @ 1000w
min 43" @ 1150

they said that the 1150 setting is actually more efficient if the environment can support it, but maybe they're tryin to sell me bulbs haha

I got tall ceilings and tend to run the 1150 the first 6 weeks or so, i wonder if I'd get closer to docs plastic plants on the 850

When the weather cools down, I'll turn 'em up to 1150. I can't justify the extra cooling right now, especially since they're doing so well on the lower setting.

A single fixture, on mover set at full power is the way to go. Or maybe two of them....

It's amazing to see how well they are doing Dimmed. To unleash it's potential they need to run 1150. But heat is an issue that to be addressed too. I'm planning a grow site based on DE lighting now. Lovely work Doc.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

It's amazing to see how well they are doing Dimmed. To unleash it's potential they need to run 1150. But heat is an issue that to be addressed too. I'm planning a grow site based on DE lighting now. Lovely work Doc.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the lights at the very top of indoor horticulture. With adequate climate controls, you'll produce better produce with these Gavita's than anything else I've seen or tried.

Obviously, the hobby/micro grower might find they aren't the best choice for cooling reasons. But the grower who is looking to grow 20+ plants should seriously consider these lights.

Agreed. I know one person used 1150 in 5x5, mini split and sealed tent with CO2. Still cooking top of plants. But there is no better way of flowering plants that I'm aware of out there now. (Sun).
Cheers

I've often thought the power of gavita would go well with a light mover. Movers have a bad rap in the industry but I suspect poor implementation (like 99% of everything ah aha). Wonder how much closer u could move the light if it was on a mover....

I'd also like to see a 50/50 build with the 315w cmh/lec combo'd with gavita, I think could really blow some doors with that.

*ive never had tip burn from the 1150w setting but I also run very close to the suggested distance with tons of air movement and adequate cooling.

*imo tent + gavita is a bad idea. the light will always be epic but I think u would get further with a different solution. Everything a gavita needs to function properly is hamstrung in a tent: height, air movement, cooling. Its like putting a chevy smallblock on a motorcycle.

I've often thought the power of gavita would go well with a light mover. Movers have a bad rap in the industry but I suspect poor implementation (like 99% of everything ah aha). Wonder how much closer u could move the light if it was on a mover....

I'd also like to see a 50/50 build with the 315w cmh/lec combo'd with gavita, I think could really blow some doors with that.

*ive never had tip burn from the 1150w setting but I also run very close to the suggested distance with tons of air movement and adequate cooling.

*imo tent + gavita is a bad idea. the light will always be epic but I think u would get further with a different solution. Everything a gavita needs to function properly is hamstrung in a tent: height, air movement, cooling. Its like putting a chevy smallblock on a motorcycle.

When designing a grow room, 12 foot ceilings are the minimum bar. 14 feet is better. 14x14x14 is a good sized room. That entire room could be covered with 5 of these lights.

I had a mover working for 3 years.

Doc, are you spraying your foliar feeds before, during or after your light cycles?
I was spraying RX Greens Axiom with the lamps on as suggested and noticed some burning.
Just curious as to what you've noticed

I quit spraying for now

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I have seen you mention the 315 watt cmh lights a few times and you have me curious as to how well they really work. They sound like an awesome solution for those working in smaller spaces where heat is an issue. I am yet to find any grows on here with ppl using them though. Do you have anything that shows what they can do?

Doc your garden looks good as always. If I had the space and the means I would give the Gavitas a go just from what I have seen in your journal. I have seen other companies selling double ended lights at this point but the Gavitas are th only one I have seen documented us of.

I have seen you mention the 315 watt cmh lights a few times and you have me curious as to how well they really work. They sound like an awesome solution for those working in smaller spaces where heat is an issue. I am yet to find any grows on here with ppl using them though. Do you have anything that shows what they can do?

I do not have them myself, but am looking to remove my t5 from the loft and replace it with a cmh for vegging. For the lower wattage they seem to have a spectrum closer to the gavita then say a traditional 1kw fixture. This is just conjecture on my part, I leave science to the scientists. I have seen them work though, and they perform very well.

-u can grow plants into the lights almost
-cooling requirements are exponentially lowered (in fact I know some people use them in tents or small rooms with no a/c, just airflow)
-overall power draw is significantly lower

Imo if u had a room full of gavita u could take half out or even 2/3 and put these in and save a bunch on power and cooling and enjoy the best of both worlds. But only in a real specific situation. Gavita's really shine in light deps or outdoors where they can supplement, or in really tall rooms.

Obviously they don't perform as well but most ppl using Gavitas are in a too low ceiling with not enough distance to canopy, and for them the cmh's would work better because they just can't use those gavitas properly there.

I do not have them myself, but am looking to remove my t5 from the loft and replace it with a cmh for vegging. For the lower wattage they seem to have a spectrum closer to the gavita then say a traditional 1kw fixture. This is just conjecture on my part, I leave science to the scientists. I have seen them work though, and they perform very well.

-u can grow plants into the lights almost
-cooling requirements are exponentially lowered (in fact I know some people use them in tents or small rooms with no a/c, just airflow)
-overall power draw is significantly lower

Imo if u had a room full of gavita u could take half out or even 2/3 and put these in and save a bunch on power and cooling and enjoy the best of both worlds. But only in a real specific situation. Gavita's really shine in light deps or outdoors where they can supplement, or in really tall rooms.

Obviously they don't perform as well but most ppl using Gavitas are in a too low ceiling with not enough distance to canopy, and for them the cmh's would work better because they just can't use those gavitas properly there.
Thanks for the info. I've been considering replacing two 600 watt hps fixtures with three of the cmh to run a 4x8 flowering tent. It's just a lot of money to spend without more info or seeing people get good results. I've seen awesome results with leds but I don't have enough to get enough of them to efficiently cover the whole space. The fact that it's claimed that the cmh lighting out does 600s and even competes with 1000s makes me wanna try esp since three of them will still draw less than 2 600s.

Sorry for cluttering up your Gavita thread doc :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom