HashGirl Grows Alpine Star CBD, Carnival, Dark Devil & Raspberry Cough

Hi HG - happy looking garden is a happy sight.
We think I probably just planted it too soon. I had no idea that the taproot was supposed to be a certain length. Live and learn.
I’m calling ‘bro-science’ on that one!!

there is no need to wait for the seed to even split. 12 to 24 hour soak plant in moist soil. That’s all I’ve ever done. 100% germination record.

Some advice I got from a botanist once is that the paper towel technique is something that gets used for educational purposes so people can see the process of the seed splitting and taproot emerging - for educational purposes. In real world gardening, that new, fresh taproot should never be touched or see the light of day.

I know lots of folk do it (With all without the paper towel step has sheds mentioned) so I’m not bagging anybody out, just saying what I know/have learned. It’s completely unnecessary and introduces quite a bit of risk of damage to the taproot/emerging seedling. IMHO :nerd-with-glasses:

Always happy to help when I can.
Glad you got the mouse issue sorted.
I used to catch and release them. I used a 5 gallon bucket, a piece of 2x4 leaning against it and for bait...the irresistible combination of peanut butter and Raisinettes. Never failed.

I used to have pet mice and it's hard for me to kill them. I'm pretty timid in the killing department.
Except mosquitos. I enjoy killing them.

I've captured live voles and mice before but I didn't treat them with PB and raisinettes, I just trapped them in a closet and then using an empty yogurt container and a shovel, I got them out of the house. When Felonious worked, he wasn't always available to trap critters so I had to learn.

We even had a cat then but he was the worst mouser ever. Once we came home and there happened to be a dead mouse on the carpet and we figured our cat scared it to death. :laughtwo:

Nice transplanting!

A lot of growers (myself included) don't wait for taproots. We plant as soon as the seed splits in the bowl of water. No paper towel or long soaks.

Hi HG - happy looking garden is a happy sight.

I’m calling ‘bro-science’ on that one!!

there is no need to wait for the seed to even split. 12 to 24 hour soak plant in moist soil. That’s all I’ve ever done. 100% germination record.

Some advice I got from a botanist once is that the paper towel technique is something that gets used for educational purposes so people can see the process of the seed splitting and taproot emerging - for educational purposes. In real world gardening, that new, fresh taproot should never be touched or see the light of day.

I know lots of folk do it (With all without the paper towel step has sheds mentioned) so I’m not bagging anybody out, just saying what I know/have learned. It’s completely unnecessary and introduces quite a bit of risk of damage to the taproot/emerging seedling. IMHO :nerd-with-glasses:

I didn't know that the paper towel method wasn't used by many growers. Even the Jorges Cervantes book I read had that method. :hmmmm:

So when you plant the seed, do you bury the whole seed in the dirt like you would for a vegetable seed?
Following your journal... hope you dont mind me, lurkin in the background.

:welcome: to my journal, Lime. New followers are always welcome here. I'm still relatively new at this but I'm feeling much more comfortable with growing with 2 complete grows under my belt. Are you currently growing anything? Maybe we can help/teach each other.

Okay. I'll try to remember for the next grow. Thanks, Shed.

:welcome: to my journal, Lime. New followers are always welcome here. I'm still relatively new at this but I'm feeling much more comfortable with growing with 2 complete grows under my belt. Are you currently growing anything? Maybe we can help/teach each other.
Thank you!
Looks like you have some great growers helping you here, thats awesome.

Ya I'm currently doing a grow, just about to flip, link is in my signature, if you want to pop in and ...stay high lol

Absolutely ....I love helping/learning from others, this is why im here ;)

Yup! About 1/2" - 3/4" (1.27 - 1.9cm) deep is how I do it.
:thumb:

I have a specially marked spike that I make the seed hole with - to make sure I don’t plant too deep (a wooden chopstick works really well too).

1DEE4072-7969-4A2D-ACE5-05984A352786.jpeg

8C1C4309-2AE0-4023-87C8-BE124FEA9CD9.jpeg

You’ll notice there that I’m planting into a peat puck that’s kind of ‘planted’ in the pot - that’s ‘cause it’s super soil so I like to give a little clear zone for the seed to sprout into. Sometimes I use a peat puck and sometimes I just make a hole and fill it with plain buffered peat or coco coir.

I sprinkle a little mycorrhizae in the hole and once the seed is in just pinch the hole closed. And keep the baby warm.

Does it matter which end of the seed is in the dirt and which is facing up?

Thank you!
Looks like you have some great growers helping you here, thats awesome.

Ya I'm currently doing a grow, just about to flip, link is in my signature, if you want to pop in and ...stay high lol

Absolutely ....I love helping/learning from others, this is why im here ;)

Hi Lime. I'll try to get over there to check it out. I currently have 8 journals bookmarked to read along with the ones I already am. People keep tricking me into following them like @ProfessorFlora and @StoneOtter . I know it's a trick because I know that I definitely didn't purposely check their journals out the way I did with Shed's, Amy's and VG's so they obviously tricked me somehow. Probably happened when I was high, which is often. :laughtwo: And, currently as well. Here. I'm enjoying Dark Devil this evening:

:passitleft:

folks saying tap root up
I read this info when I started my gorilla glue and gave it a try. Sure enough after a couple of days I had a root proudly sticking out of the surface. Thankfully a careful dig and flip saved the day. We nearly didn't have GG.

Hi Lime. I'll try to get over there to check it out. I currently have 8 journals bookmarked to read along with the ones I already am. People keep tricking me into following them like @ProfessorFlora and @StoneOtter . I know it's a trick because I know that I definitely didn't purposely check their journals out the way I did with Shed's, Amy's and VG's so they obviously tricked me somehow. Probably happened when I was high, which is often. :laughtwo: And, currently as well. Here. I'm enjoying Dark Devil this evening:

:passitleft:
Mmmm Dark Devil, delish.

Hi HG! I see you mailed out the invitations New Year's Day. Canada Post is slow, even though we're probably only 100 km away. I did get it and I've written a strongly worded letter to the Surgeon General as the Postmaster General is about to be hospitalized.
I know, right?
They need to be planted deeper. ;)

Hey HG.

Hope you and FP are well.

Ahhh.The pointy side up or down debate.
I'll throw a wrench into the works.

I had issues when I would plant my seed pointy or rounded side down. It always seemed contrary to what was supposed to happen. I've had quite a few plants that got turned around and come up root first or the roots would corkscrew and not come up. I'd have to dig them up and replant them.

I started laying them on their side and I haven't had any issues since. It could just be luck so far.
I was thinking (stoner thoughts)of how I sow every other seed. Most of them end up on their side naturally due to shape. Maybe there is a reason for this? Seems like a plan of nature and I was ignoring it.
So I'm gonna go with nature and see where she takes me.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Good afternoon.

Felonious transplanted ALP8 and Carnival to 1 gallon pots yesterday. ALP7 is a no show. We haven't decided whether we're going to try another one or not yet.

I also watered all the other plants that had previously been transplanted. I used 1 gram of MC to 1 gallon of water (1g in 3.7854 liters as per Shed).

Here are the photos:

Photo 1 - ALP8.jpeg

Photo 2 - ALP8.jpeg
Photo 3 - Carnival.jpeg

Photo 4 - Carnival.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom