Hempy Style Glue! First 420 Journal

Definitely go check out Hempy Headquarters.
One thing I have found out about running 100% perlite is that yes you can over water if you are using the smaller perlite. You also need to make sure you always feed a good calmag plus. And all my plants seems to have that delay before it takes off.
Here's a couple plants that are in 1.5gl Hempy Bucket. 100% perlite in week 3 flower.

Yeah I’m using the small perlite. Except for the slow grower it was the only one with coarse perlite. I always calmag, before these hempys I was in coco so it became a habit especially with the LEDs.

Most likely a pH problem.You mentioned it above. If your pen is calibrated,you should see some improvement.
I'm not familiar with the light. I would think closer to 24" unless specified by the manufacturer. Moving the light down to 18" in veg after she gets a bit bigger. 12-18" in flower.
Did you happen to rinse or prepare your perlite before use? It has a pH of 7, so it helps to soak it in pHed water. You also want to rinse the fine dust from the perlite.

A great source here is a journal started by @SweetSue called Hempy Headquarters. Check it out for sure. There are a lot of experienced Hempy growers on it.
The light is a diy custom build. Great light considering previous grows under it. They never move. I let the plants grow towards it. Veg growth is awesome.
Here’s a past plant.
D7FCEE41-BE4C-4644-B349-6C4F8B5A0753.jpeg
A BB that unfortunately turned out to be male.

Yeah I rinse quite well wit tap water. My tap water comes out at 6.5 ph. I never even thought of using proper ph water to soak it. Thanks it’ll def help in the future.
I’ve started using a bit of H2O2 to handle the algae. What’s your thoughts on that?
A little algae won't hurt anything. As the plant grows it will restrict the light and the algae will die. Some growers do add a little H2O2 to their feed water to introduce more oxygen. Since you are in hempy , you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Vigoro makes a good perlite that is a good size and it drains well. $17 for 2cu. ft. @ Home Depot , if you have one near to you.

Are you in the US?

Quick update
The runt GG4 came back and seems to be thriving.
C0A3730E-3A7C-4DC2-AB9C-D8587E9788D5.jpeg

And here is the one that had no issues since the beginning
07AEE80C-C05A-4C82-9F19-D62C13672D28.jpeg
Now that brings us to these two C99.
944642EE-C3A9-4742-9149-4EDE3C85BEF9.jpeg
E282ECB1-3276-40DA-B9FB-9E1BAAA70AF1.jpeg

I’m not sure what is going on though I do have a few ideas.
To rule out PH I flushed with properly ph water two days ago. Hasn’t seemed to have fixed anything.
So am I looking at an overwatered hempy?

Quick update
The runt GG4 came back and seems to be thriving.
C0A3730E-3A7C-4DC2-AB9C-D8587E9788D5.jpeg

And here is the one that had no issues since the beginning
07AEE80C-C05A-4C82-9F19-D62C13672D28.jpeg
Now that brings us to these two C99.
944642EE-C3A9-4742-9149-4EDE3C85BEF9.jpeg
E282ECB1-3276-40DA-B9FB-9E1BAAA70AF1.jpeg

I’m not sure what is going on though I do have a few ideas.
To rule out PH I flushed with properly ph water two days ago. Hasn’t seemed to have fixed anything.
So am I looking at an overwatered hempy?
Yes you can over water Hempy when you run 100% perlite. Best to use the large size to avoid it. But the box store stuff is really small

Haven’t updated in a while.
So the overwatering issue is all gone. The C99s have been topped and about to be trained. Going with a quad line for all 4 girls. The GG is coming along nicely even the runt. Runt was transplanted into a bigger pot a few days ago and seems to have picked up again.
I’m really loving the ease of hempys. Growing with coco I was getting tired of constant waterings.
EE425BA9-069A-4CEA-9D99-0338E6153FA6.jpeg
D6A202AA-3E2F-40A2-8EF5-A227CA223B6B.jpeg
4299CCE7-C84F-4F2B-A3DA-2569D3B8A470.jpeg
47C8DA67-D65F-4C4C-81CD-9F89FBCEA3B3.jpeg

How often do you water hempy? I grow in coco but never really studied up on hempy, I know you have a rez in the bottom of bucket about 2in deep if I’m not mistaken. I would like to try hempy one day, I’ve seen some nice plants grown in hempy.✌️

So far I’m watering every 3 to 4 days. I’m by no means an expert at hempys it’s my first go at it. I’ve read it increases and the plants get bigger.
I was previously growing in coco. And got sick of watering everyday. And now I get antsy for the next watering lol.

That’s not bad at all, watering everyday does get old. I’ve been growing a couple plants dwc and really like it but I’m afraid to switch over to full dwc, coco is like a security blanket for me lol. This next run I’m gonna do 2 dwc and 3 in coco.✌️

Haven’t updated in a while.
So the overwatering issue is all gone. The C99s have been topped and about to be trained. Going with a quad line for all 4 girls. The GG is coming along nicely even the runt. Runt was transplanted into a bigger pot a few days ago and seems to have picked up again.
I’m really loving the ease of hempys. Growing with coco I was getting tired of constant waterings.
EE425BA9-069A-4CEA-9D99-0338E6153FA6.jpeg
D6A202AA-3E2F-40A2-8EF5-A227CA223B6B.jpeg
4299CCE7-C84F-4F2B-A3DA-2569D3B8A470.jpeg
47C8DA67-D65F-4C4C-81CD-9F89FBCEA3B3.jpeg
No such thing as too much water mate. Otherwise dwc wouldn't exist.
The associated problems arise from a lack of oxygen and your in pretty much the most aireated, best draining media there is. I can see 3 or 4 people here seem to think your over watered but I can assure you it's nothing to do with that.
Feed was too strong for them. Now that they rooted up a bit they're handling it better. If it got better when you started watering less its purely coincidental.
Seems to be out of the woods though.
Just keep the feed light and right pH , you'll be sound :)

Looks like a combo shot to me mate. Slight pH issue mixed with low tolerance for poor VPD or dehydration at the root zone.

The twisty leaves is something that can just happen with some plants. The rest of the time its a pH issue. Have you checked the run off? Also you should be feeding more than every 3-4 days. Every 2 at least. The water at the bottom doesnt hold oxygen very well, which can result in symptoms of "over watering" such as the slight droop on the leaves, but it's not too much water, its not enough water as the oxygen level is dropping and needs replenished.
The poor VPD comment relates to the relationship between heat and humidity.
Can run high temps and high humidity but if you run high temps with low humidity then the plants cant perspire properly so start to look a bit dehydrated as she does. I'd guess your rh is around 45%. If it is or lower, that's the issue.
Different strains can different tolerances for VPD. Sativas tend to be the more stroppy characters.
or again, it might actually be dehydrated because you're not watering often enough. Mind the pathway from the Res to the plant will be basically bone dry after 24 hours so the roots will be putting a fair amount of effort to get all that water up while the perilite is trying to suck it all out of them.
Hard to pinpoint things axactly but that would be my suggestions.

The rest of the time its a pH issue. Have you checked the run off? Also you should be feeding more than every 3-4 days. Every 2 at least. The water at the bottom doesnt hold oxygen very well, which can result in symptoms of "over watering" such as the slight droop on the leaves, but it's not too much water, its not enough water as the oxygen level is dropping and needs replenished.

This is actually a pretty common issue. The hempy reservoir provides a watering buffer, but it should be refreshed/replaced more often than every 3-4 days, if the plant isn’t consuming it all in that time. In addition to the decreasing oxygen level in the solution, the pH may drift out of range.

Looks like a combo shot to me mate. Slight pH issue mixed with low tolerance for poor VPD or dehydration at the root zone.

The twisty leaves is something that can just happen with some plants. The rest of the time its a pH issue. Have you checked the run off? Also you should be feeding more than every 3-4 days. Every 2 at least. The water at the bottom doesnt hold oxygen very well, which can result in symptoms of "over watering" such as the slight droop on the leaves, but it's not too much water, its not enough water as the oxygen level is dropping and needs replenished.
The poor VPD comment relates to the relationship between heat and humidity.
Can run high temps and high humidity but if you run high temps with low humidity then the plants cant perspire properly so start to look a bit dehydrated as she does. I'd guess your rh is around 45%. If it is or lower, that's the issue.
Different strains can different tolerances for VPD. Sativas tend to be the more stroppy characters.
or again, it might actually be dehydrated because you're not watering often enough. Mind the pathway from the Res to the plant will be basically bone dry after 24 hours so the roots will be putting a fair amount of effort to get all that water up while the perilite is trying to suck it all out of them.
Hard to pinpoint things axactly but that would be my suggestions.
Thanks for the info. My temps are steady at 22c lights on and RH is pretty constant from 49 to 60 depending. I was under the impression that you didn't need to water so often. I'll water more often and let you guys know if it gets better

20190516_223032.jpg
20190516_223027.jpg
I need some serious help. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's going on here. My PH is perfect. Using 1/4 strenght notes. Lights are about 24 inches away. Temps are at 23c. I gave it a wet dry cycle. Then went to watering every 2 days so the res doesn't get stagnant. I'm all out if ideas. This pic is before lights out but they don't perk up all that much when the lights come back on.
This next one is a different strain and it's doing great.

Are you on city water, or a well? Have you tested the TDS of the tap water?

Is your hole blocked, or do you get a good “pee” out of it? Have you checked the ppm and/or TDS of the runoff? (you are watering to at least 10% runoff, right?)

And how high is your light currently?

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom