JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

The tricombs will age some after you chop her down. You won't get a ton of amber tric's but the clear ones should go cloudy. If you wait, she will probably foxtail more and get more nanners. Looks like you could take it another couple days to a week, unless you want to be smoking in a week... then chop her down. She's looking great though, might have a few seeds to grow out but I see that as a plus
Personally I chop between the time I see my first amber to about 2-3 days later. Id say it's just about time to start drying :D
That scrog is looking mighty fine jojo! Nice nanner.. hehe

I appreciate the advice guys! As well as the funny comments about my nanner.. I couldn't wait any longer though, she just looked done. I chopped her last night and trimmed. 6 hours... 200 popcorn buds, never again!!!

Hey jojo hows things ? I was reading this about trichomes i no most growers probably know this stuff but i thought it was just a good read
What are Trichomes? Trichome 101

Can i ask whats the highest temp you've seen in your grow room? And how healthy the hempys roots look when you giv her the chop

Very good post rhet! I hadn't read that and it made it sound like many growers harvest half clear/half cloudy, which I don't hear much about. I learned a few things though!

The highest temp was like 90F maybe earlier on in flowering, and then 76-80F the remainder. I haven't looked at the roots yet, but I'll do it now, and report back with an update.

Update (61 days flower, 121 days old - Status: Deceased):

So I did the big chop last night! She was ready. I wanted to take some good pictures of this plant for future reference, so enjoy! I'll throw in a couple comments along the way. I also tried to not use the LED for most of the shots.

f61d121_4_.jpg

f61d121_3_.jpg

f61d121_1_.jpg

f61d121_2_.jpg

I decided to strip the lower leaves to see how dense the screen was. Impressive!

f61d121_5_.jpg

So then I started to harvest. There was SOO much more than I thought there would be!

f61d121_6_.jpg

f61d121_7_.jpg

Look at some of these colors! I think they're from the LED, but I'm not completely sure. Purple!

f61d121_8_.jpg

f61d121_9_.jpg

Wet Weight: 666g

Which should finish drying at about 25% of that, or 167g. I suppose it's hard to say what amount of light to determine my g/W, since I used 1X 300W LED for the first and last of the grow, and 1.5 LEDs for days 24-52 of flowering. I'll figure the 1.5 (which is 278W), which gives me 0.6 g/W. I'm not disappointed at all! I could have done a few things better, but overall this was a great grow, and I really have to attribute a lot of it to Hempy. It went SOO much smoother than my last ProMix/perlite grows.

That's all the bud pictures for now, but I think the skeleton is cool! Especially this thing. It's almost a piece of art!

f61d121_12_.jpg

f61d121_13_.jpg

f61d121_11_.jpg

f61d121_15_.jpg

f61d121_14_.jpg

I'll post the dry weight in a few days, but as for the grow room, life still continues. 6 seedlings are emerging under my little 23W 'shade', and Hempy clone has now inherited the crown.

I'll probably start another journal soon. I'm thinking of re-designing my grow room to only use 36 cubic feet of grow space, growing these seedlings into little mothers, and doing a mini-SCROG 'n SOG.

f61d121_16_.jpg

f61d121_17_.jpg

It's been fun having you guys along for the grow, giving me advice and suggestions to help me do well! I didn't take all of your advice, but I realized several times I was wrong, and I should have listened to you guys! I appreciate the help.

Hey man. That is so awesome! I'm really happy for you. Great harvest.
I like how you trimmed that plant up like that. I get burnt out on trimming pretty fast myself - so I just do whatever is quickest in terms of hacking branches off to hold in one hand while I trim the buds. But I've been tempted before to trim the way you did- so I can see the structure like that afterwards. How long did it take you to trim her?

Yaaaaaa :slide: Great grow dude! I'm kinda sad to see her go, but it was her time. You know its funny right, to see another persons chopping. Like you do it yourself but to think that hundreds of thousands of us are sitting there, cutting, trimming, drying, curing, these tasty tasty buds.
Awesome job man, nanners and all! I look forward to see what you do with the space and how the smoke turns out.

WOW!! AMAZING JOB!!! Your calculations are wrong. A 300 watt light only draws around 180 watts. So that is your base number. 180 watts and if you get the 167 grams you will be almost at 1 gram per wattage!!! AWESOME JOB! Use the draw wattage because thats what you put in. I will NEVER understand these stupid LED companies that mark a LED 300 watts but only has 180 draw wattage. Stupidest thing ive ever seen. Thats like saying the is a 350 engine but its only 180 horsepower... IDK maybe its just me...

In the mid to late 70's a 350cid engine would put out less than a 100hp. As for the LED advertising I read it is as output for comparison, perhaps it is due to analog vs. digital? idk.

love my marsII 700 watt led.

don't judge an engine by its size. my four cylinder engine makes 230 wheel horse power, n/a. 180 crank horse power in the right chasis, could be a race car.

Hey man. That is so awesome! I'm really happy for you. Great harvest.
I like how you trimmed that plant up like that. I get burnt out on trimming pretty fast myself - so I just do whatever is quickest in terms of hacking branches off to hold in one hand while I trim the buds. But I've been tempted before to trim the way you did- so I can see the structure like that afterwards. How long did it take you to trim her?

Thanks bud! I think it was worth the extra 20 minutes to strip everything off the structure to see what she looked like. I had to untwist all the branches anyway! It took about 6 hours total, most of which was trimming. Exhausting, but I suppose I only have to do it every few months. YOU have a lot more trimming to do with all your space/plants!

Yaaaaaa :slide: Great grow dude! I'm kinda sad to see her go, but it was her time. You know its funny right, to see another persons chopping. Like you do it yourself but to think that hundreds of thousands of us are sitting there, cutting, trimming, drying, curing, these tasty tasty buds.
Awesome job man, nanners and all! I look forward to see what you do with the space and how the smoke turns out.

I'm a little sad to see her go too. Now there aren't any buds starting me in the face when I walk in the room! I didn't really think about all the other people doing the same all around the world. Interesting thought though, I have more sympathy for you all!

I am very much impressed by your setup JoJo. Smarter way to grow..thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for stopping by! I tried to think things out before this grow, but there are always little changes to make. We'll keep getting better!

WOW!! AMAZING JOB!!! Your calculations are wrong. A 300 watt light only draws around 180 watts. So that is your base number. 180 watts and if you get the 167 grams you will be almost at 1 gram per wattage!!! AWESOME JOB! Use the draw wattage because thats what you put in. I will NEVER understand these stupid LED companies that mark a LED 300 watts but only has 180 draw wattage. Stupidest thing ive ever seen. Thats like saying the is a 350 engine but its only 180 horsepower... IDK maybe its just me...
In the mid to late 70's a 350cid engine would put out less than a 100hp. As for the LED advertising I read it is as output for comparison, perhaps it is due to analog vs. digital? idk.

Actually, I did use the ~185W real draw per LED. The reason I used 277W was because I used one and a half lights for most of flowering, so 185*1.5 = 277W. I really do hate how light manufacturers advertize with equivalent ratings though, it's super annoying and confusing for many.

I believe the reason they do it with these types of LED lights, is that the LEDs COULD be driven at the 300W, but manufacturers use smaller power supplies to limit current to the LEDs, and extend life a bit. So I have 100x3W LEDs on the light, but they are only getting 1.85W each, if that makes sense. At least this is what I read somewhere, take it with a grain of salt!

Great job!

I appreciate it, I tried!

:thumb:

nice work!

Thank you sir. I'm just sad I don't have a huge cola like you! All these little buds will have to do, I guess...

Good stuff Jojo!!

Great harvest! I'm doing a SCROG too and I hope it will turn out as good as yours!

:goodjob:
Ok I got a bit stressed here, I see you had your light at least 50cm from the canopy and I have mine (140W LED + 250W HPS) just over 10 inches (15cm). Do you think that will cause a problem? It doesn't feel that hot when I hold my hand at canopy level.

I'll be sure to check your grow out when I get a chance to go through it. SCROGs make things pretty nice! I'd say you're probably fine with those light heights, as they are smaller lights. I'm not sure how far away the HPS should be, but that sounds about right. The LED is harder to tell, as they don't put off much heat, so you have to judge by making sure you don't get any light burn. I doubt you'd have any issues with a 140W LED though. I'll watch how your grow comes out, as I've been curious about using LED and HPS along side each other. Very cool!

Mini-Update:

I thought I'd put up some pictures of the root structure. These roots were impressive. The roots filled the entire bucket, up to the top of the perlite. I haven't seen that before! Maybe the lid gave enough darkness for the roots to grow that high?

Overall they look really healthy. Slightly off-white, but not overly root-bound. I did find out that the cotton rag I used was pretty useless, and it just started falling apart when I tried to remove it. Lesson learned!

I'm a little surprised how well the vermiculite stayed semi-evenly spread through the medium. It sinks in water, whereas the perlite floats, hence that thick nasty layer at the bottom.

roots_1_.jpg

roots_2_2.jpg

roots_4_.jpg

roots_3_.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to reclaim this perlite! I'm thinking of filling the tub with water and breaking it all up so the perlite floats, the vermiculite sinks, and the roots go wherever they'd like?

That's all for now, the buds are still drying. I may make some bubble hash with all those trimmings though!

Oh, I forgot to mention. I only have 2-3 mostly developed seeds in the bud. I was wrong during my earlier scare, and HunterNitro was right! What I thought were seeds must have been small calyxes. I could have sworn they looked like small seeds, but they weren't inside the calyxes. I'm relieved that I don't have seeded bud!

Back
Top Bottom